Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

I hadn’t seen much of him before today but he was a headless chicken with no connection with Gabs. Long showed more in his cameo than Carrillo did all game, and Gabbiadini’s movement was very good. Personally I’d drop Carrillo for the rest of the season, and either play Long and Gabbiadini together, or have Gabbiadini up top with Sims playing off him.

Need Chaz back soon.

Had he stayed fit I doubt we'd even been worrying about relegation. Our only natural scorer is Austin.. sure he looks a bit on the tubby side, slow, unfit and not actually that good at the football stuff but he has the one ****ing thing a striker needs the ability to actually score goals.

Had he stayed fit I doubt we'd even been worrying about relegation. Our only natural scorer is Austin.. sure he looks a bit on the tubby side, slow, unfit and not actually that good at the football stuff but he has the one ****ing thing a striker needs the ability to actually score goals.

He can only score when on the pitch and he spends little time on it.

I really feel for the lad.

Caught up in situation not of his making between a crap board and a crap manager.

19m wasted

We've just got to our first FA cup semi final in 15 years and still you bleat on having a go at the club for anything you can. I really don't think this is the club for you pal. Find a new hobby and additional source of income.

So in summary, he's not that good in the air, can't tackle, is weak on the ball, and has poor positioning. And also is a striker who doesn't score.

I can't comment on his passing, because he usually doesn't have the ball long enough to try to make one.

Pretty impressive for our record signing.

I assume our fabled black box did all the analysis on him before signing. I also suggest that we paid a fee based on goals appearances and league position. Surely the club wouldn't have paid 19m without some kind of insurance

I assume our fabled black box did all the analysis on him before signing. I also suggest that we paid a fee based on goals appearances and league position. Surely the club wouldn't have paid 19m without some kind of insurance

Pellegrino spoke highly of him and wanted him. That was good enough for Les. Presumably Wilson checked him out as Director of Recruitment somewhere along the line. Didn't he... ?

I hadn’t seen much of him before today but he was a headless chicken with no connection with Gabs. Long showed more in his cameo than Carrillo did all game, and Gabbiadini’s movement was very good. Personally I’d drop Carrillo for the rest of the season, and either play Long and Gabbiadini together, or have Gabbiadini up top with Sims playing off him.

Need Chaz back soon.

I think Gabbiadini won more aerial duels than him today and offered more in terms of being a target man. Given that that's probably Gabbiadini's worst role it doesn't say much for Carrillo.

I feel bad for him tbh.

He doesn't look very good at anything tbh. He was comfortably beaten in the air multiple times by smaller players yesterday and some of his passing was very poor. Not even sure he had a shot against a league 1 side. When Austin is back, i'd drop him to the bench.

I feel bad for him tbh.

He doesn't look very good at anything tbh. He was comfortably beaten in the air multiple times by smaller players yesterday and some of his passing was very poor. Not even sure he had a shot against a league 1 side. When Austin is back, i'd drop him to the bench.

I'd drop him to the bench for the next game. If Austin is not fit to start, get long on

I feel bad for him tbh.

Feel bad for him................hes a ****ing millionaire ffs,dont think he'll feel sorry for you.Reed out Wilson too..........****s

I feel bad for him tbh.

Carrillo. Boufal and Gabbiadini cost a reported £50m+

I wonder what they would fetch on the open market this summer?

Possibly £20m or would the 'investment' be written off like some of our previous 'stars'

Give him a chance you boys sound like a bunch of wet tarts in a brothel........ He will come good needs support play him and Gabba up top for the stoke game.....

Should we wait at least 100 games before saying anything about him? Pretend he's not there? It got a bit like that with Clasie. We needed a goal scorer last summer and we were crying out for one at the beginning of January. If Carrillo was the best that Ross Wilson and Les Reed could come up with, after all the research they supposedly put in, then they are incompetent and that is a big concern with an important summer transfer window coming up.

The only reason I can think of signing him was to say they were supporting the manager...why when it was obvious he was absolute sh1te(MP) beats me.

Its another terrible decision this year along with FF extended contract, McCarthy being left on the bench so long, Pellegrino left in place gone by November latest, not signing a VVD replacement and Walcott/Promes farce.

This board has been awful this season.

I saw glimpses in his first 2 games - now MP has gone yesterday looked like a fish out of water.

Maybe with 2 weeks of coaching before next game he may improve.

Edited by Give it to Ron

Should we wait at least 100 games before saying anything about him? Pretend he's not there? It got a bit like that with Clasie. We needed a goal scorer last summer and we were crying out for one at the beginning of January. If Carrillo was the best that Ross Wilson and Les Reed could come up with, after all the research they supposedly put in, then they are incompetent and that is a big concern with an important summer transfer window coming up.
Funny thing as you mention Clasie, listening to the Saintspodcast where they had a statistics man on. I was amazed to hear that Clasie played 38 times for saints and he was on the inning side 22 of those!!! I did wonder if a lot of those were cameo appearances but. Also Victor was also another player with a very good win percentage. Those were the only 2 names mentioned)

Needs a goal, desperately. Didn't look like any sort of threat against Wigan which is what worries me the most. No doubt his confidence is low and he's still trying to settle in, but unfortunately when you are a club record signing (doesn't matter which club) you are going to have to hit the ground running.

Clearly a MP signing....

Clearly overpaid (massively, probably by about £5m-£10m)....

Clearly a panic buy....

Whilst he hasn't been great, I saw a few things that I thought could help us improve, but he seemingly has got worse. It was clear we wanted to target man (we'll someone who can hold the ball up) but I honestly think we could have found someone in the lower leagues or even abroad for about £5m or less, who would offer the same as Carrillo has.

I hope he improves (not confident in that though), but we are crying out for Austin to return.

A massive ***** up by the board on all accounts on this transfer.

He's not as bad as some are making him to be on here. He has given our attack a focal point and he has won a fair bit in the air. The question remains though, does he have a strikers instinct?

In some of the earlier games I thought he looked bright, but the chances didn't quite fall for him. In the last few he hasn't really got himself in the right positions. If he is a target man I expect him to be more of a force in the air when the ball goes in the box.

I am assuming that there is a real talented goalscorer in there somewhere, otherwise we wouldn't have targeted him, but our desperate state and the fact he was probably a MoPo signing rings alarm bells. I am loathe to write him off. £20m is a shed load of money, not to mention the monstrous wage he is no doubt on, but if we are going to to hit the channels as we did on Sunday then we may as well play Long.

I've watched John Marquis a fair bit at Donny over the last couple of seasons. He is about the same age as Carrillo. I have to say I don't see a great deal of difference between the two. The fact I've seen John score a few goals, all be it at league 2 and league 1 level, perhaps skews my opinion.

Many have said he might need more support and his best attributes are not a lone striker which is odd considering Pellegrino only plays that formation and he brought him in specifically for that role where clearly he is not suited at all. One thing he definitely isn’t is a ‘target’ man, I think we have established that.

Disappointingly though he was just as ineffective with lots of support round him against Wigan.

Also as some have mentioned we are in a scrap and need intelligent runners off the ball in a more direct Hughes style and he definitely doesn’t do that either....

Best to stick him in the under 23s until he starts looking the part as he looks rusty. It’s either that or he just isn’t up to it which is one hell of an expensive mistake to have made if true.....

A sackable mistake in most businesses ....

The worrying thing is if Reed ‘leans’ on Hughes to play him - does that go on? Would Hughes accept that?

He's not as bad as some are making him to be on here. He has given our attack a focal point and he has won a fair bit in the air. The question remains though, does he have a strikers instinct?

In some of the earlier games I thought he looked bright, but the chances didn't quite fall for him. In the last few he hasn't really got himself in the right positions. If he is a target man I expect him to be more of a force in the air when the ball goes in the box.

I am assuming that there is a real talented goalscorer in there somewhere, otherwise we wouldn't have targeted him, but our desperate state and the fact he was probably a MoPo signing rings alarm bells. I am loathe to write him off. £20m is a shed load of money, not to mention the monstrous wage he is no doubt on, but if we are going to to hit the channels as we did on Sunday then we may as well play Long.

I've watched John Marquis a fair bit at Donny over the last couple of seasons. He is about the same age as Carrillo. I have to say I don't see a great deal of difference between the two. The fact I've seen John score a few goals, all be it at league 2 and league 1 level, perhaps skews my opinion.

There was a myth that RL was great in the air, but if you look back he won little against a decent centre half.Where he was clever was that he would play up against the fullbacks and won a lot of headers from there

There was a myth that RL was great in the air, but if you look back he won little against a decent centre half.Where he was clever was that he would play up against the fullbacks and won a lot of headers from there

I know you said decent centre half...but that header at Wembley for England against the Jocks was something special.

Has he though? I didn't see him win very much at all on Sunday. Agree about his instincts, so many times the ball would be lofted forward and it was Gabbiadini trying to win the header and Carrillo was nowhere to be seen. Admittedly, maybe that's the passer's fault rather than the recipient! But it also suggests Carrillo wasn't putting himself in very good positions to be a target.

I know you said decent centre half...but that header at Wembley for England against the Jocks was something special.

Yep. I guess it's how you define 'good in the air' - good at heading or good at jumping? (or even just 'being tall')

It's also not just about aerial ability, but strength & composure. Lambert and Pelle could hold the ball up well because they could hold off the defender while also being good enough to find a good pass.

I might be splitting hairs a bit with the formation definition, but I'd say being able to hold the ball up is more important in a 4-2-3-1 whereas winning flick ons is more useful in a 4-4-2. With Gabbiadini consistently making those runs in behind, Carrillo winning a few flicks might have sent him away a few times.

Monaco must have seen something too no? Or was this a South American punt by them? Genuine question if you know...

At €8.8 million he wasn't much of a punt for a club as rich as Monaco. Like Chelsea, they can afford to buy loads of young players in the hope that one will come good. The season they bought him, they also bought Fares Bahlouli, Thomas Lemar, Corentin Jean, Gil Dias, Allan Saint-Maximin, Gabriel Boschilia, Jemerson, Rony Lopes, Ivan Cavaleiro and Adama Traore, most of whom are now worth less than they paid for them.