Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

At €8.8 million he wasn't much of a punt for a club as rich as Monaco. Like Chelsea, they can afford to buy loads of young players in the hope that one will come good. The season they bought him, they also bought Fares Bahlouli, Thomas Lemar, Corentin Jean, Gil Dias, Allan Saint-Maximin, Gabriel Boschilia, Jemerson, Rony Lopes, Ivan Cavaleiro and Adama Traore, most of whom are now worth less than they paid for them.

But we are the only daft bast^rds prepared to allow them to more than double their money on a player who hadn't lived up to their expectation. Nice one Les, and Wilson.

The Monaco fans are still laughing that someone bought him and they got 19m for him.

There’s some interesting comments on their forum saying that Carrillo won’t be a success for a team that can’t supply him with quality chances. One person said they reckon he’ll get benched by us and go to a winning team from a ‘lower’ league where he’ll score plenty. Clubs like Brugges and Anderlecht are mentioned as destinations where he’d do well

There’s some interesting comments on their forum saying that Carrillo won’t be a success for a team that can’t supply him with quality chances. One person said they reckon he’ll get benched by us and go to a winning team from a ‘lower’ league where he’ll score plenty. Clubs like Brugges and Anderlecht are mentioned as destinations where he’d do well

Strikers that we can afford will all suffer from this. I can't remember a golden chance Carrillo has missed. He isn't the type of player it seems to take on 3 and bang it into the top corner. Still too early to judge this guy. New league, two managers already at the club since he has arrived and the team really shy on creating chances and morale. Lets see where he is ten games into next season.

He can do a job in the Championship.

He's been poor but I maintain he'd look more of a threat if Tadic was on the left and redmond/Sims on the right getting quality early balls into the box on their stronger sides.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

I do tend to agree - same can be said about Austin, as well (the more of a threat, not that he's been poor).

Strikers that we can afford will all suffer from this. I can't remember a golden chance Carrillo has missed. He isn't the type of player it seems to take on 3 and bang it into the top corner. Still too early to judge this guy. New league, two managers already at the club since he has arrived and the team really shy on creating chances and morale. Lets see where he is ten games into next season.

Is this the same endless piece of string many were advocating for Pellegrino?

Give him till Christmas - give him till this game, that game, the game after that, February, March, next season even!

We are Premier League you have to be good enough to play! We cannot train on the Job!

He's been poor but I maintain he'd look more of a threat if Tadic was on the BENCH and redmond/Sims on the right getting quality early balls into the box on their stronger sides.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Corrected it to as I see it!

Give him till Christmas - give him till this game, that game, the game after that, February, March, next season even!

We are Premier League you have to be good enough to play! We cannot train on the Job!

No, you are right. Everyone should be sacked unless they are an unqualified success after one game.

;)

Why everything one extreme or the other on here? 8 games isn't enough to write him off. If after 20-25 appearances with very minimal goals then yes we can say he has very much underperformed. God knows this forums reaction if he had missed a pen and a simple 1v1 last weekend.

Why everything one extreme or the other on here? 8 games isn't enough to write him off. If after 20-25 appearances with very minimal goals then yes we can say he has very much underperformed. God knows this forums reaction if he had missed a pen and a simple 1v1 last weekend.

Where I slightly disagree is he is not getting in those positions to score in the first place. That is the point. It’s not as if he is missing chances - if only....

If there were a sign that he has something then that would be something but he just doesn’t look like he’s dangerous at all.... He has been playing regular football after all prior to his arrival...

He could suddenly turn into something with Hughesy coaching him, however up until now he isn’t looking the part and personally I don’t think he is anywhere near Gabbiadini and Austin before he was injured.

Pick him for another eighteen games in case he improves? You might as well put our youngsters in and let them have 25 games to learn their trade and save the money.....

Where is the justification - so far for giving Carillo another half a season in the first team?

It’s not an extreme view in any way.....

I've seen him play ok in games and I've seen him be ineffective in games, so I'm erring towards a dud. That said, given the money we paid, recent change of manager, coaching staff, tactics and starting line-up, I'm willing to give him more time and see if he comes good.

Initial impressions are that he’s total sh1te but he’s been playing in the most cowardly, toothless team in the league. Another 5-10 games will prob be a fair amount of time to assess him

The main reason the team has been toothless is that we have't had a goal scorer up front. When Austin replaces Carrillo, we'll have one.

• 3 weeks later...

Couldn't get in to the squad on Saturday, Beggars absolute belief that we wasted £19 million on this guy and he is our record signing. If I cost my company a fraction of that money I would be fired, lambasted and hung out to dry, Yet Reed carries on without remorse or accountability

Couldn't get in to the squad on Saturday, Beggars absolute belief that we wasted £19 million on this guy and he is our record signing. If I cost my company a fraction of that money I would be fired, lambasted and hung out to dry, Yet Reed carries on without remorse or accountability

January was a complete shambles.

Such a disappointment. Not just this lad, not his fault he's garbage, but the shambles we've become in our transfer dealings.

It really looks like we haven't a clue anymore. From being lauded for our ethos in the mainstream media to this.

Jeremy Wilson was on the radio pre-match at the weekend saying exactly this. He also stated what is being condemned on this forum, that the board shoulder a lot of the blame.

You would think the new owner would be concerned enough to have some involvement if we are relegated. To at least ask some questions and seek accountability.

Clearly clearly clearly he was Pellegrino’s man, he said himself when he signed he loved playing for him when they were together in Argentina, he even praised Pellegrino at every opportunity- https://www.google.co.uk/amp/readsouthampton.com/2018/03/09/carrillo-pellegrino-master/%3famp=1

Just take a step back for a minute to consider how much of a f*ck up January was:

We sold most expensive defender in the world to Liverpool

We didn’t sack Pellegrino

We used some of the money to well over spend on Pellegrino’s mate

A month later and we sack Pellegrino

Unbelievable Jeff.

Clearly clearly clearly he was Pellegrino’s man, he said himself when he signed he loved playing for him when they were together in Argentina, he even praised Pellegrino at every opportunity- https://www.google.co.uk/amp/readsouthampton.com/2018/03/09/carrillo-pellegrino-master/%3famp=1

Just take a step back for a minute to consider how much of a f*ck up January was:

Unbelievable Jeff.

Add to that list we failed to get in another CB (or even try to) leaving ourselves woefully exposed full stop and even more woefully exposed should our best remaining centre back get injured. Which he did. Then again HTF were we supposed to be wary of such a scenario, it's not like it happened twelve months previously or anything. Oh.....

For good measure add the abject failure to get some painfully, desperately needed attacking pace in the team. If we failed to get Promes which of course we did, where was the fecking back up plan. Where were all the black box options? I wonder if it offered up that Kenedy fella who went to Newcastle.

Carry on up the boardroom.

The sad thing is as much criticism he is getting it isn't actually his fault. He doesn't get a say in how much a club pays for him.

What baffles me though is how we actually got to that number. This season he made a grand total of 2 starts in their league. And the season before a total of 5 starts. So in 2 seasons he started 7 games in their league. He was a back up player who seemed to do ok as a sub. Seeing as they paid around £6m for him, had his value actually increased that much in that time?

It's like the negotiations went like this

Monaco - We hear you are interested in Guido? We are interested in selling maybe we can do a deal?

Reed - We are yes, how about £10m?

Monaco - For Guido?

Reed - Ok £15m?

Monaco - You sure you're looking at the right player?

Reed - Ok £20m?

Monaco - Er yeah we are happy with that.....

Reed - Nice doing business with you!

Monaco - Hahaha thanks for the money we are just off to get Pietro Pellegri with that money who is a 16 year old wonderkid! Cheers!

Thought people liked throwing money around? Or backing a manager?

Poor signing but doesn't really fit the tight club narrative does it. Just one making a lot of poor decisions.

Imagine his wages would be far too high for the championship and he'll be loaned out somewhere. If we could keep him, Long and Austin for next season we'd be well set up front.

Depends which league we are in. Even if it's the Championship though it would mean one who seldom scores, another who is often injured half a season, and then there's Carillo.. not sure he'd be a stand out player at that level from what we've seen so far.

We're probably stuck with him. No ones going to take a punt on him on the wages he's probably on. I can't imagine he would at that stage agreed a relegation wages cut clause. Actually can't see why any of our big signings would have agreed to one of those, and to be fair none of them have looked exactly like that they were playing to avoid huge salary cut. Though there is always the chance he might be ok in the Championship......

Unbelievable Jeff.

Just be happy MP didn't get to spend anymore of the VVD money.