Guido Carrillo - Official: Free Transfer to Elche

Mr X

Les has absolutely s**t the bed on this one.

In two minds whether to support or cut his losses with Pellegrino, he basically did neither.

Yeah, can't imagine there are too many examples of a manager doing a terrible job & then letting him sign a £20m striker.

(& who was clearly his signing too).

I doubt anybody is going to sign him from us in the summer, so will have to support him next season.

He (in theory) has the attributes to do well in the championship.

Didn't look special against league one Wigan. Or even bang average.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Les has absolutely s**t the bed on this one.

In two minds whether to support or cut his losses with Pellegrino, he basically did neither.

Les should have left the summer Koeman left. He has been going rapedly downhill ever since. I remember reading articles in Dutch football magazines how well we were run and what great academy we have. From signing players who were top of the league they were playing in (Wanyama, Van Dijk, Mane) to reserve players from foreign clubs (Carillo, Lemina, Hojbjerg). The scouting of players and managers has been the reason we are where we are now.

Clearly clearly clearly he was Pellegrino’s man, he said himself when he signed he loved playing for him when they were together in Argentina, he even praised Pellegrino at every opportunity- https://www.google.co.uk/amp/readsouthampton.com/2018/03/09/carrillo-pellegrino-master/%3famp=1

Just take a step back for a minute to consider how much of a f*ck up January was:

We sold most expensive defender in the world to Liverpool

We didn’t sack Pellegrino

We used some of the money to well over spend on Pellegrino’s mate

A month later and we sack Pellegrino

Unbelievable Jeff.

Or as it is known in most other industries, gross misconduct. What was the point of getting £75m for VVD and writing off our season and possibly a generation and then throwing £19m of it away?

Les might as well have done a KLF, gone to a remote island with Dr Barry Gale and burned £19m in notes in public. Or given it to charity.

Possibly he'd have survived in the City of London during the 'boom years' as there were senior people of a similar level of ineptitude, hence what has happened to the world in the last decade, but struggling to think of anywhere else. Gao is taking the concept of a hands-off owner to a new extreme, and one wonders why. KL doesn't care, she's made her money.

Clearly clearly clearly he was Pellegrino’s man, he said himself when he signed he loved playing for him when they were together in Argentina, he even praised Pellegrino at every opportunity- https://www.google.co.uk/amp/readsouthampton.com/2018/03/09/carrillo-pellegrino-master/%3famp=1

Just take a step back for a minute to consider how much of a f*ck up January was:

We sold most expensive defender in the world to Liverpool

We didn’t sack Pellegrino

We used some of the money to well over spend on Pellegrino’s mate

A month later and we sack Pellegrino

Unbelievable Jeff.

We couldn't have had a worse January window if we tried.

The worse thing is the guy we spent £20mill on is not even better than the strikers we have so after going into January staring relegation in the face, in desperate need to strengthen - all we have done is get rid one of the world's best central defenders.

Promised premier league football , playing for his mentor in a new country , club in meltdown , sliding down the greasy pole , mentor sacked , give him a chance I think with good coaching he could be a fine player , I have watched him play in the flesh and I won't write him off , not a great position for the lad to be in is it ?

Promised premier league football , playing for his mentor in a new country , club in meltdown , sliding down the greasy pole , mentor sacked , give him a chance I think with good coaching he could be a fine player , I have watched him play in the flesh and I won't write him off , not a great position for the lad to be in is it ?

What makes you think he could be a fine player? Other than he plays for saints.

He'll make more money from jogging about a bit on a football pitch during his Saints contract than most of us will in our lifetimes, so compared to most people, I'd say he is in a bloody great position and laughing all the way to the bank. Very few footballers of his standard will ever be able to say they were the record signing for a Premier League club so he'll even have lots of great tales to tell his grandchildren one day. As a bonus, the women of Southampton are probably throwing themselves at him whenever he ventures out at night in one of his luxury cars. And you want us to feel sorry for him?

Another rubbish signing.... What more is there to say Lee Reed has to go.... He is in the Liverpool payroll
If he was on the Liverpool payroll then surely he'd be signing players that would then be good enough for Liverpool in two seasons time? How does signing rubbish players and getting us relegated help Liverpool?

• 2 weeks later...
We paid more for Carrillo then Chelsea did for Giroud :rolleyes:

Mane and Pelle together only cost around 1 million more then Carrillo.

Just think of what we could have done with the 19 million we spent on Carrillo. We could have set up a state of the art sport science and medical department at the training ground and improved the players we already have. Not to start on the signings we could have made.

But there is probably far more to the Carrillo transfer than meets the eye.

He was never worth the sum paid, anyone could see that so there must be something else.

Unless of course we didn't pay the stated amount.

Yep, probably money laundering via the Monaco tax haven. I expect Rosie was involved. The only explanation for spending £19m on a hatstand.

He should still be given a chance to pair up with Austin! He started off ok and was positive; and he might have been on the end of those two crosses in the early part of the first half against Chelsea at home. I just don't understand the vitriol against him on here or the fact he is the obvious choice as a forward up front?

He should still be given a chance to pair up with Austin! He started off ok and was positive; and he might have been on the end of those two crosses in the early part of the first half against Chelsea at home. I just don't understand the vitriol against him on here or the fact he is the obvious choice as a forward up front?

If you mean by okay, making us slightly less **** under MoPe, then yeah he's the obviously choice....

I really can't see how you say he's the obvious choice, all our strikers are **** right now regardless of who is up front.

• 2 weeks later...
If we bought a half decent striker for 10m then we would of at least had a goal scoring option off the bench unlike Gabby and Long who will never score for us again.

I'm fairly sure Gabbiadini has the ability, in a team that does more than just pass to the full backs and cross the ball nowhere near him when he's the only one in the box. Most of his early goals came from us varying play with the odd through ball, which we completely stopped doing around March 2017 until we played Wigan recently.

Mane and Pelle together only cost around 1 million more then Carrillo.

Just think of what we could have done with the 19 million we spent on Carrillo. We could have set up a state of the art sport science and medical department at the training ground and improved the players we already have. Not to start on the signings we could have made.

We could have put another tier on the Kingsland, which would have been a decent long-term investment as stadium construction costs increase at a phenomenal rate.

We could have put another tier on the Kingsland, which would have been a decent long-term investment as stadium construction costs increase at a phenomenal rate.

Les Reed doesn't do long term investments or good legacies. Worse than Lowe.

Weird signing, did Reed actually think that all Pellegrino needed was a striker and everything would turn out rosy?! Such a weird signing at such an important time of the season.

I wouldn't expect him to be one of our highest earners so wouldn't expect him to be too difficult to get rid of in the summer for a cut fee.

Weird signing, did Reed actually think that all Pellegrino needed was a striker and everything would turn out rosy?! Such a weird signing at such an important time of the season.

I wouldn't expect him to be one of our highest earners so wouldn't expect him to be too difficult to get rid of in the summer for a cut fee.

I see this signing as a vote of confidence in Pelegrino. When all fans were united against him, Reed thought he would 'stand by your man' and sign a striker that Pelegrino recommended. Oddly just a few games later and Pele was sacked, leaving Carillo no doubt thinking "why did I come here?" Hence the depression ruling him out now.

I see this signing as a vote of confidence in Pelegrino. When all fans were united against him, Reed thought he would 'stand by your man' and sign a striker that Pelegrino recommended. Oddly just a few games later and Pele was sacked, leaving Carillo no doubt thinking "why did I come here?" Hence the depression ruling him out now.

Is this true? Carrillo is out with depression?! Or is he "Boufal-style" out?

Apart from his own financial planning, he's going to walk away from this debacle with a very secure retirement.

Which is why he was prepared to gamble keeping the clown on for as long as he did. He personally had nothing to lose, knowing if the worst happened he could jump the sinking ship and retire to Benidorm.