WBA 1 Saints 2 - We March On Reactions

St Chalet

Been home since about 18.15 and it was another enjoyable day out at the Hawthorns.

I've always been highly critical of Pellegrino but today the set up, tactics and subs were spot on.

I never really thought we were in any danger as unlike 2 weeks ago, we were comfortable with the crosses into the box.

Cracking baggies goal though; proper good.

Been home since about 18.15 and it was another enjoyable day out at the Hawthorns.

I've always been highly critical of Pellegrino but today the set up, tactics and subs were spot on.

I never really thought we were in any danger as unlike 2 weeks ago, we were comfortable with the crosses into the box.

Cracking baggies goal though; proper good.

Are you sure you were at the right game. Batman says we were rubbish.

Great result in the QF of FA Cup has not happened that often in the last 30 years I remember 2003 but cannot remember many more

I do remember 1963 when we beat Sheff Utd 1-0 perhaps we could beat Sheff Wed this time

We beat Forest (after 3 games) in the 1963 QF. Don't you remember beating Bradford in 1976?

We also played QF's in 1979, 1984, 1986, 1996 and 2005.

Back from the game. Thought we were the better team and deservedly won.

Still feel we are lacking attackingly. Too reliant on shoveling i5 out wide for a cross

I’d like to see us trying to take on opposition players a bit more.

McCarthy: 8. Made a couple of important saves.

Cedric: 7, a very frustrating player, gets in all the right positions but his end product fails too often

Bertrand: 6, solid

Stephens: 7.5thought he played very well. Could have perhaps been tighter to Rondon but it was an excellent finish.

Hoedt: 6.5 does so much so well but there were a couple of horrible moments

Lemina: 9 best player on park

Hojberg 6.5, solid if less impressive than he has been most of the season

Jwp: 7, really tenacious at the moment

Tadic: 6, quiet game but one sublime moment

Redmond: 6.5, much better as the game went on. Needs to take players on more though.

Carrillo. 4, well he got an assist I suppose. Still Think we were robbed.

Sims: 7, just for being willing to try and go past someone.

Romeu: 6, did what was needed physically late in game

Gabbi: 6.5 had a couple of nice moments, though surprised he didn’t try and get a shot off when he had a bit of time on the 3dge of the box

I was at the game. I thought it was two s**t teams. They had more pressure., we just about managed to withstand it.

Would you disagree?

I watched on TV (ESPN) - it did look like two poor teams today. First half our passing game was neater and tidier but without much threat. I thought Redmond had a few good moments; Lemina was once again good; Bertrand, Soares likewise. I still don't get the JWP "wide right" thing; I've never seen a player played in attack without the capability to run with the ball at his feet; a couple of good corners, but mostly safe, backward passes and then a run infield into the box as though he's a clinical finisher. Sims, Boufal, even Redmond much better choices for wide attacking roles. McCarthy looks so much more assured and competent in the basics of goalkeeping compared to Forster. The Baggies look in a lot of trouble, don't they.

Well I was at the game and we battled hard against a physical team playing at home for the last hope of their season; McCarthy MOTM for two superb saves could not do anything about their goal. Most played OK except Gabbi, criticism of Guido very unfair indeed, very tough ask for him. He is not Lukaku.

I have nothing negative to say because:

Took my boys to their first away game today and they LOVED it. They loved being in a new ground, singing their hearts out with our great away support (I’m betting they won’t want to go back the Family Enclosure next season!), celebrating our goals (yes, plural) and savouring an FA Cup win. For me, today, that’s all that matters. We march on.

For me the pertintent question to ask is : was that the performance of a team about to pull itself up by its boostraps and deliver the required performances to avoid relegation ?

And the answer I fear is : absolutely no chance.

Nothing has changed based on todays events, imo.

There it is folks!

We’re gong to be just fine!

i think it's about a 1 in 5 chance that any 4 given teams from an 8-team draw will avoid one another. not editorializing but since i did the math, thought i should share. i couldn't believe it was so "low."

but: the first "big team" has a 4 in 7 chance of getting a "minnow." then the next big team has a 3 in 5 chance. and the third team has a 2 in 3 chance. that sets the last result. multiply it all out, its 1 in 5. now i have to ask my stats professor friend to check my methodology.

For me the pertintent question to ask is : was that the performance of a team about to pull itself up by its boostraps and deliver the required performances to avoid relegation ?

And the answer I fear is : absolutely no chance.

Nothing has changed based on todays events, imo.

Just watched MOTD and both pundits stated we didn’t play like a bottom 3 side. Still what do they know compared to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saw the whole game, here in the land down under. I have to say, win aside, that was not a convincing performance by any means, 5 yards forward 20 yards back, seems to be our modus operandi, and that makes for boring football. Why oh why, our players are scared to take on the opposition, or knock and run, is beyond me, when Liverpool played this triangular football, they played it moving forward, we play it backwards, towards our own goal. My mom was McCarthy, not just for his saves, but for the calm confidence he seems to give the whole defence. 5 shots tells the story of our attack, we get the ball up there, then either give it away, or play it back to the halfway line.

6/10 for the team performance, I still want this useless manager out, winning this match only papers over the problems largely created by him.

Got battered in the second half by a very poor West Brom. 22 shots to 4 or something second half. Saved by the bar and a goal-line clearance. Still got the Tadic and Redmond Show and one up front. Pellegrino will take us down unless he is fired. Man City away in the QF's so forget the final. Nothing to be cheerful about despite the win. Grim stuff right now.

Got battered in the second half by a very poor West Brom. 22 shots to 4 or something second half. Saved by the bar and a goal-line clearance. Still got the Tadic and Redmond Show and one up front. Pellegrino will take us down unless he is fired. Man City away in the QF's so forget the final. Nothing to be cheerful about despite the win. Grim stuff right now.

They only had 7 on target, one was the goal, one off the line, one a huge deflection that McCarthy saved. The rest were routine catches.

Everyone keeps mentioning Stephens and his ball watching, but from MOTD only this time, Hoedt looks like another waste of money. Complete liability. And to think he looked good when he first started here...

Calm down! These are young talented guys still learning their trade in the toughest league in the world. The money these days means we can no longer buy finished articles. Give them a chance ffs!

Funny how people who were at the game are saying we played well and deserve to win but those not at the game are saying we weren't.

I wasn't at the game and thought we deserved to win. There were some pretty average performances from some of our players, and WBA were on the front foot at times, but overall we played quite well and looked in control.

Everyone keeps mentioning Stephens and his ball watching, but from MOTD only this time, Hoedt looks like another waste of money. Complete liability. And to think he looked good when he first started here...

The chance he gifted to JRod where he completely fluffed it on the bounce, and the slice out of play aside, he and Stephens played well. Neat and tidy and some very good interceptions.

Calm down! These are young talented guys still learning their trade in the toughest league in the world. The money these days means we can no longer buy finished articles. Give them a chance ffs!

we don't really have the luxury of games left, to give them time, to become the finished articles though right now they need them to be on it ever week... or we are playing in the championship next season.

Not beyond the realms of possibilities but got to think that a bit odd .

Worst draw possible for us.

out of curiosity, i did the math.

the first "big 4" club has a 4 in 7 chance of drawing a "minnow."

assuming that happens, the second big club has a 3 in 5 chance.

assuming that happens, the third has a 2 in 3 chance.

the fourth's opponent is also thereby determined.

4x3x2 is 24, 7x5x3 is 125, 24/125 is ... a breath shy of 1 in 5 odds that they all avoid one another. was shocked that it wasn't like 1 in 15 or the like, but there you have it. having said that: eff the lot of them.

They only had 7 on target, one was the goal, one off the line, one a huge deflection that McCarthy saved. The rest were routine catches.

Yeah comical how the usual idiots are wheeling out the stats to indicate what a battering we we took. Try watching the game. Was a relatively comfortable win and we were the better side. Objective journalist thought the same https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/17/west-bromwich-albion-southampton-fa-cup-match-report

Yeah comical how the usual idiots are wheeling out the stats to indicate what a battering we we took. Try watching the game. Was a relatively comfortable win and we were the better side. Objective journalist thought the same https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/17/west-bromwich-albion-southampton-fa-cup-match-report

The Guardian is a good read - but how you could say we had a comfortable win is stretching it mightily! Baggies could easily have had 2-3 goals in the second half. It wasn't a comfortable win.

Forster didn’t get dropped because he’s ****. He got dropped because McCarthy is class.

Forster was dropped because he was absolute ****. It took longer to do than it should because no one was confident that McCarthy was any better. But eventually he was given the chance and he grabbed it with both hands and has shown that he is a more than capable keeper. Can't see any way Forster could get back in, injury permitting.

I have nothing negative to say because:

Took my boys to their first away game today and they LOVED it. They loved being in a new ground, singing their hearts out with our great away support (I’m betting they won’t want to go back the Family Enclosure next season!), celebrating our goals (yes, plural) and savouring an FA Cup win. For me, today, that’s all that matters. We march on.

A heartwarming story - good ol' "Dad and sons day out" stuff.

I bet you had an epic day out...... until you came home and started reading this drivel!

The Guardian is a good read - but how you could say we had a comfortable win is stretching it mightily! Baggies could easily have had 2-3 goals in the second half. It wasn't a comfortable win.
I was at the game and I was always confident that we would win. Even when they scored with over half an hour to go, I still wasn't that concerned. Yes, they took the game to us in the second half but the stats (as others have pointed out) can give a false impression.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I was at the game and I was always confident that we would win. Even when they scored with over half an hour to go, I still wasn't that concerned. Yes, they took the game to us in the second half but the stats (as others have pointed out) can give a false impression.

Totally. I too was there and WBA huffed and puffed a lot but there was never any anxiety in the stands, we all felt comfortable and the players look comfortable too.

Agree, West Brom were all over us in that second half. Yes it was pumping balls into the box but that put us under immense pressure.

Had it not been for sure last ditch defending, great goalkeeping and Bertrand on the line we would all be debating how many tickets will be bought for a midweek cup replay game.

Well done Saints for keeping West Brom out although I would have liked us to have kept the ball much more in that second half. Also that late change Carillo for Sims could have cost us as we had one less body in the box to defend. Would have subbed JWP for Sims personally

Totally. I too was there and WBA huffed and puffed a lot but there was never any anxiety in the stands, we all felt comfortable and the players look comfortable too.