FA Cup Qtr Final Saints v Wigan or Man City AWAy

John Boy Saint

What a f*cking joke that is from the FA, train prices go up every day and that'll leave us with 9 days to book travel so it's going to be over a ton for trains most likely. I f*cking hate how little consideration they give to travelling fans.

I’ve just noticed that there are 4 weeks between the 5th Round and 6th Round ties being played, as opposed to the usual 3 weeks. That’s probably why the FA have said it’s OK for BT to wait before they choose their match.

Unacceptable though in my opinion. This is a very slippery slope...

I’ve just noticed that there are 4 weeks between the 5th Round and 6th Round ties being played, as opposed to the usual 3 weeks. That’s probably why the FA have said it’s OK for BT to wait before they choose their match.

Unacceptable though in my opinion. This is a very slippery slope...

Slippery slopes can sometimes be fun

1mNccjO.gif

I know a lot of you don't like coaches, and I can't remember having been on one since Bobby Stokes scored a couple at Burnden Park (pretending I was miserable as I exited the ground and the dash to the coaches was fun..) but this is one where the club could put on a free service in view of the circumstances.

fuc*ing pis*take. you just know advance train tickets will be gone by the time they announce it. absolute dogsh*t of a decision.

only positive that has come out of it for me is that it confirms we won't be on a 7:45pm (which i wouldnt usually mind but you have extra time and penalties to account for)

That is really, really poor.

Presumably BT will go for Spurs (if they go through) and that will be the Friday night game, leaving either Saturday or Sunday lunchtime for us.

That would potentially mean Pompey, Brighton and Saints all in and around Manchester on the Saturday, no chance.

Still reckon it'll be Monday.

That would potentially mean Pompey, Brighton and Saints all in and around Manchester on the Saturday, no chance.

Still reckon it'll be Monday.

It can’t be Monday because of FIFA regulations.

The Sunday game already announced is at 4.30pm, so I think our match will be Sunday at 1.30pm - three hours would be enough time to cover possible extra time and penalties to ensure there is no overlap.

The Sunday game already announced is at 4.30pm, so I think our match will be Sunday at 1.30pm - three hours would be enough time to cover possible extra time and penalties to ensure there is no overlap.

If Spurs beat Rochdale (I'm sure they will) then their game with Swansea or Sheffield Wednesday is almost guaranteed to be played on the Friday night. That just leaves early Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Personally I'm hoping it's the Sunday.

Why the **** can't they at least say what the permutations and options are?

that would be handy, but the away supporters are the last peolpe the TV companies and it seems FA consider when organising things

Still if announced on Thursday still gives us at lease 15 days to plan for game, as next round not until w/e 16th - 18th

*sigh*.

TV Companies call the shots as per normal. The real fans who actually travel are seemingly less important than those fans who pay for subscriptions and watch from their sofa.

This. It's the main reason why I hope the bubble bursts. Unfortunately I can't see that anytime soon.

Man City losing to Wigan has really screwed up things for BT and BBC.

And to think the draw fell so well with all four top teams avoiding each other ;)

I agree, they thought they had it lined up perfectly to maximise their viewing figures and advertising revenue and results haven't gone to plan for them. Brighton fans travelling to Manchester for a night game on a Saturday (with potential of extra time) is a joke , I still reckon we'll be on Sunday lunchtime but it's a fukcing joke they are keeping us waiting just because BT can't make their minds up on the game to choose , completely taking the plss

I know a lot of you don't like coaches, and I can't remember having been on one since Bobby Stokes scored a couple at Burnden Park (pretending I was miserable as I exited the ground and the dash to the coaches was fun..) but this is one where the club could put on a free service in view of the circumstances.

considering there wont be trains home on a monday night, it might be that or using your own car and maybe staying. So that would be a nice touch and very tempting, as much as i do not want to be sat next to Barry, with his Saints top, his saints flask and his saints wallet and annoying foam hands, it might be finacially viable.

However, i am sure the club will probably use the money to reduce some away fans' entrance before the end of the season.

I don't get why people are saying they want saturday or sunday, those spots are now full. The FA have said there's going to be a game Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday and there's only two slots left. Personally i think Monday is pretty much nailed on to be honest.

I don't get why people are saying they want saturday or sunday, those spots are now full. The FA have said there's going to be a game Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday and there's only two slots left. Personally i think Monday is pretty much nailed on to be honest.

Have they actually said there’s going to be a game on Monday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might be wrong on this, but I believe there won't be any VAR because it can only be used at Premier League grounds (for the time being anyway). Shame because I was looking forward to seeing it in one of our matches.

Wasn’t it used in the Cardiff v Man City game to disallow a goal?

The Wigan half marathon is on the Sunday morning from 09:30. May have to be taken into consideration with a lunchtime kickoff.

Have they actually said there’s going to be a game on Monday

yup in this line here

The quarter final ties will take place over the weekend of 16-19 March and each winning club will receive £360,000 from The FA prize fund.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/feb/17/fa-cup-quarter-final-draw-170218

The 19th is the monday and has been specifically called out, which means there will be a game on the monday. Also history shows us that they want a game a day for tv.

yup in this line here

The 19th is the monday and has been specifically called out, which means there will be a game on the monday. Also history shows us that they want a game a day for tv.

They always put that though. Doesn't actually mean that there will necessarily be a game on all of those dates.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2016/feb/21/sixth-round-proper-draw-180216

From 2016. They put 'across the weekend from 11-14 March' (11th being the Friday, 14th being the Monday) and games were played on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Donny v Bradford is on sky Monday, so I would assume Rochdale V Sheffield Weds could be and not bother FIFA regulations much, don’t know how many internationals Sheffield Weds have, but I’m sure one or two could get special dispensation to report a day later. Not that it’ll be the tie, probably the most unlikely combination. Can not see any premiership teams involved that day, just too many international players.

yup in this line here

I'm with you on this one... almost certain it'll be Monday.

Friday will result in Wigan rearranging 2 fixtures (can't see that happening), Saturday looks like a complete no go for security reasons and Sunday will be a nightmare due to road closures etc. So only really leaves Monday, which will cause the least disruption.

Also, I'm sure the FA considered all relevant FIFA rules (I'm yet to see these rules people are alluding to? might have missed them) when setting the dates.

I know a lot of you don't like coaches, but this is one where the club could put on a free service in view of the circumstances.

Totally agree. But..... you know if they put on subsidised coaches they'll only take a minimum 2000 allocation rather than the 4300 that Man City had or the 4700 that West Ham had.

Think they did this at Chelsea the season before last. Subsidised the ticket down to £20 and cheap coaches but only took a 2000 allocation.

Edited by marc_saint

Also, I'm sure the FA considered all relevant FIFA rules (I'm yet to see these rules people are alluding to? might have missed them) when setting the dates.

I stand to be corrected but I believe FIFA rules mean countries can insist players join up Monday morning. Countries can waive this right & give dispensation to players to report late. However my understanding is if more than 2 players are called up, clubs can postpone fixtures. Therefore Saints/ Swansea / Spurs would have to be in negotiation with various countries to allow late reporting of their internationals. Sheffield Weds V Rochdale may not fall into this category. The FIFA regulation isn’t games can’t be played or players can’t play, just that countries can stop players playing.

I stand to be corrected but I believe FIFA rules mean countries can insist players join up Monday morning. Countries can waive this right & give dispensation to players to report late. However my understanding is if more than 2 players are called up, clubs can postpone fixtures. Therefore Saints/ Swansea / Spurs would have to be in negotiation with various countries to allow late reporting of their internationals. Sheffield Weds V Rochdale may not fall into this category. The FIFA regulation isn’t games can’t be played or players can’t play, just that countries can stop players playing.

Just found this on the Fifa website:

https://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/ps_792_en-annex_ii_74.pdf

A club holding the registration of a player called up to play in the national team must release

him to the national association on the fixed/set dates for international matches in each calendar

year (see enclosure “Coordinated International Match Calendar 2002 – 2004”). The matches

may be qualifying matches as defined under Art. 36 Paragraph 2a), or friendly matches.

The player shall also be released for the period of preparation. For a friendly match, this period

shall be 48 hours (Paragraph 5a).

If that is accurate, up to date and I'm reading correctly, I do not see any reason why we couldn't play on the Monday.

From what I can see (happy for someone to correct me) the earliest game that will affect us is possibly Denmark vs Panama (PEH) and that is on Thursday 22nd, so would allow him to play and then travel to Denmark the next day, if selected.

Long story short, I don't see it being any other day than Monday - I hope I'm wrong.

It is very, very unlikely there is going to be a Monday game because of the international break. All of the countries for all of our players would have to agree to our players turning up late. The FA would only try and do that if there was literally no other date available.

The scheduling of the Leicester v Chelsea game (4.30pm as opposed to the usual 4pm) indicates that there will be a game on the Sunday at 1.30pm, with a bit of time given to ensure that the games won't overlap. That's the most likely time. Someone on the Wigan forum has suggested that it will on Sunday, no idea if they are ITK or merely speculating like we are.

Just found this on the Fifa website:

https://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/ps_792_en-annex_ii_74.pdf

If that is accurate, up to date and I'm reading correctly, I do not see any reason why we couldn't play on the Monday.

From what I can see (happy for someone to correct me) the earliest game that will affect us is possibly Denmark vs Panama (PEH) and that is on Thursday 22nd, so would allow him to play and then travel to Denmark the next day, if selected.

Long story short, I don't see it being any other day than Monday - I hope I'm wrong.

I did see that too when looking it up. I've seen a few people mention FIFA regulations prohibiting a Monday game, but that might only apply to competitive games and with friendly matches, it might be more flexible.

I still think it'll cause a bit of a headache for the FA, I'm sure they will want their players available to link up (OK it's only Bertrand involved) at the earliest possible opportunity. Not sure about other countries like Portugal etc.

It is very, very unlikely there is going to be a Monday game because of the international break. All of the countries for all of our players would have to agree to our players turning up late. The FA would only try and do that if there was literally no other date available.

The scheduling of the Leicester v Chelsea game (4.30pm as opposed to the usual 4pm) indicates that there will be a game on the Sunday at 1.30pm, with a bit of time given to ensure that the games won't overlap. That's the most likely time. Someone on the Wigan forum has suggested that it will on Sunday, no idea if they are ITK or merely speculating like we are.

There will be a Monday game, the above shows that it is only 48 hours notice for a friendly (competitive is 4 days + 1 extra if different continent).

The FA have said that it will be played over 4 days 16th - 19th, all 4 games will be on TV £££.

There will be a Monday game, the above shows that it is only 48 hours notice for a friendly (competitive is 4 days + 1 extra if different continent).

The FA have said that it will be played over 4 days 16th - 19th, all 4 games will be on TV £££.

No other time have the Quarter-finals been played over 4 days. Two days or three days maximum. There will definitely be an earlier game on the Sunday.

Also, as far as I'm aware, I cannot find another country's league or cup which has games scheduled on Monday 18th. All the games end by Sunday night. Pretty sure the Monday is off limits.

No other time have the Quarter-finals been played over 4 days. Two days or three days maximum. There will definitely be an earlier game on the Sunday.

Also, as far as I'm aware, I cannot find another country's league or cup which has games scheduled on Monday 18th. All the games end by Sunday night. Pretty sure the Monday is off limits.

I will be amazed if the police allow a football match (considering the trouble last time as well), which will likely have close to full capacity, to take place a couple of hours after a big running event, especially one that circles the stadium.

It might happen, I'm very doubtful it will though. Hopefully I'm wrong as Monday will all but rule out me being able to attend.

I will be amazed if the police allow a football match (considering the trouble last time as well), which will likely have close to full capacity, to take place a couple of hours after a big running event, especially one that circles the stadium.

It might happen, I'm very doubtful it will though. Hopefully I'm wrong as Monday will all but rule out me being able to attend.

Same- monday or friday and it is a no for me- saturday would be perfect if i could choose!

I just don't see that big of an issue with saints, pompey and brighton (who kick off 7:45 anyway) fans travelling up north for one day- it is 2018 ffs, not the 1950s and 1960s.

give us the 1230 saturday and be done with it.

If Spurs win they'll be Friday night which leaves Sunday afternoon for us. A Monday night game really is unnecessary with the amount of other slots available.

Take no notice of the "ties to be played" guff, there's been loads of occasions where that's been ignored.

The BBC had pretty decent viewing figures for Wigan v Man City on Monday night. Around 6 million, I read earlier this week. Questionably many of them may have switched it on expecting to see Eastenders, but I think they got a better viewing audience than they would have done from screening the game on a Sunday lunchtime.

Could come into the equation.

Quarter-finals

Saturday, 17 March

Wigan v Southampton (TBC)

Manchester United v Brighton (19:45) - BT Sport

Sunday, 18 March

Leicester v Chelsea (16:30) - BBC One

Still don’t get why it is TBC - whoever has it surely will have same KO time?

I remember Arsenal - Sheff Weds had a bit of a marathon in the late 1970's.

The only one I recall us being involved in whilst following Saints was v Grimsby where it was eventually decided at Leicester. Before that of course there was the famous early 60's match v Forest that was played at White Hart Lane.

Great shame about the moving of replays to 10 days notice as the prospect of an immediate replay always racked up the excitement levels over a few days, remember WBA 1976 in particular.

The April 1963 Replay at White Hart Lane was the best Saints game I have ever seen 30000 or so Saints Fans supporting the team which played so we won 5 0.

Ken Wimshurst was out standing that night

Quarter-finals

Saturday, 17 March

Wigan v Southampton (TBC)

Manchester United v Brighton (19:45) - BT Sport

Sunday, 18 March

Leicester v Chelsea (16:30) - BBC One

So...game is Saturday then, but the exact time is up in the air because it may be a BBC game (so at x time) or it maybe a BT game (so at y time)?