FA Cup Qtr Final Saints v Wigan or Man City AWAy

John Boy Saint

I'm inclined to disagree.

Leicester beating Chelsea at home wouldn't be as newsworthy as another premier league team being knocked out by a third division team.

Yes, there's probably more probability of Leicester beating Chelsea than Wigan beating us, but TV companies tend to prefer the potential of a giant killing in cup games, ergo I'd be surprised if our game wasn't the BBC's first pick. (After all, it's not the BBC's job to chase ratings and thus simply pick one of the 'big 6'... ahem...)

I genuinely think all 4 games are equally as good as each other (or at least 3 of them- the inevitable Swans vs Spurs clash would have been my choice for fourth pick), hence why the BBC and BT probably taking their time to announce it, much to the annoyance of us fans who actually need to prepare for these trips.

FA should do something though as the draw was 4 days ago now and the last game concluded 2 days ago.

I'm inclined to disagree.

Leicester beating Chelsea at home wouldn't be as newsworthy as another premier league team being knocked out by a third division team.

Yes, there's probably more probability of Leicester beating Chelsea than Wigan beating us, but TV companies tend to prefer the potential of a giant killing in cup games, ergo I'd be surprised if our game wasn't the BBC's first pick. (After all, it's not the BBC's job to chase ratings and thus simply pick one of the 'big 6'... ahem...)

I think from the perspective of the BBC, Leicester v Chelsea would be more competitive, and from the perspective of the neutral, I think that's the best game of the four. And you have the Gary Lineker factor too. BBC might also think that they will get our match by default, assuming BT choose ties in their second and third picks that involve the bigger clubs.

I'm liking the last post on here, probably a load of ol' b*llox and his spelling is sh*te but hey...

http://www.cockneylatic.co.uk/forum/5-cockney-latic-main-forum/117251-hope-it-s-friday-night

And I'm liking these Wigan fans too, having had a little shufty through a couple of their forums, expectations are now rising (understandably so after the 3 they've dumped out) and also found myself agreeing with one poster who said it's only the big teams that win the cup these days, he said the only "little clubs" that had won it in recent times was "Wigan and p*rtsmouth".

I'm liking the last post on here, probably a load of ol' b*llox and his spelling is sh*te but hey...

http://www.cockneylatic.co.uk/forum/5-cockney-latic-main-forum/117251-hope-it-s-friday-night

And I'm liking these Wigan fans too, having had a little shufty through a couple of their forums, expectations are now rising (understandably so after the 3 they've dumped out) and also found myself agreeing with one poster who said it's only the big teams that win the cup these days, he said the only "little clubs" that had won it in recent times was "Wigan and p*rtsmouth".

I'm growing to like them :)

http://www.cockneylatic.co.uk/forum/5-cockney-latic-main-forum/117257-southampton-game

this guy reckons Sunday kick off at 1430

On reflection, I don't think the half marathon taking place would prevent a 14:30 kick off. The half marathon is due to start at 9:30 am and the DW Stadium is at the 4 mile mark (Route Map: http://www.runwiganfestivals.co.uk/docs/Half%20Route%20B&W.pdf) . The race starts and finishes in the town centre, so should all be done and dusted by lunchtime. Sunday at 14:30 would be perfect for me. Bring it on!

Odd, games don't normally kick off at that time. It's normally 1.30pm.
Unless they need time to clear up after the half marathon, I'd say 13:30 more likely, to allow time before the Prem game later, especially if our game goes to ET and even pens.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last year it was announced on a Thursday. But the draw was done on the Monday.

Should be announced tomorrow at the absolute latest you'd have thought.

It's possible that they have to rearrange other games in other leagues to accommodate every match, maybe that is the reason for the delay.

I dont believe they are awaiting the replays, I mean Swansea v Sheff Weds (who cares) and Spurs are going to beat Rochdale anyway.

Just like Man City were going to beat Wigan. When the draw was made as far as everyone was concerned Saints were drawn away at Man City, miraculously they just disappeared.......

Just like Man City were going to beat Wigan. When the draw was made as far as everyone was concerned Saints were drawn away at Man City, miraculously they just disappeared.......

you think Wigan would have won at The Etihad?

Rochdale won't beat Spurs at Wembley mate, they had their chance and unlike Wigan, they didnt take it.

I dont believe they are awaiting the replays, I mean Swansea v Sheff Weds (who cares) and Spurs are going to beat Rochdale anyway.

Why don't you believe they are waiting for the replays what makes you think like that.

I would have thought more people care about the outcome of the Swansea Sheffield match than those interested in which day we go to Wigan

Unless they need time to clear up after the half marathon, I'd say 13:30 more likely, to allow time before the Prem game later, especially if our game goes to ET and even pens.

Roads closed in town centre until 1430, but DW Stadium is at Mile and roads closed until 1100.

This is what annoys me about TV. The going fan is always shat upon, just announce it FFS so we can get organising.

I agree it takes the plss. I know tv companies meet with FA and police have to sign off agreement but they should be able to do that in a day.

With it being an international break possibly ruling out the Monday someone suggested tv companies will go for a 7.45pm Saturday slot like they did for Liverpool v West Brom in the 4th round - that would be annoying.

I've given up on them ever telling us.

It's one of my biggest gripes with modern football, we accept that games will move dates for TV but FFS give us as much notice as possible. 4800 of us making that sort of journey, if it's an early ko I'm considering an overnight but not much available in Wigan on Saturday night .

Should’ve been sorted by now.

I worry they’ll wait until after the Spurs replay, because then they will know 100% if they’re allowed to put a game on the Friday.

Some of us remember the days of never-ending cup replays, sometimes only two days apart. Then the police started insisting on ten days notice or something like it.

Some of us remember the days of never-ending cup replays, sometimes only two days apart. Then the police started insisting on ten days notice or something like it.

Ahhhh.........that was in the good old days of football when going to a game was like going to the gym, bit of boxercise, bit of running either away or into the fray, dart dodging, and if you were lucky you could recoup the cost of your ticket by picking up all the loose change that often rained down upon you, for some reason the authorities thought that the 10 day lead time would quell any needle that might be hanging over from Saturdays game 2-3 days before. I always thought that 10 days gave the psychos enough time to get their logistics sorted for an even bigger ruck.

Blimey going to this years World Cup could be like popping along to one of those Sealed Knot re-enactments of the English Civil War.

Back to WG’s original comment - wasn’t the second replay venue decided on the toss of a coin?

Ahhhh.........that was in the good old days of football when going to a game was like going to the gym, bit of boxercise, bit of running either away or into the fray, dart dodging, and if you were lucky you could recoup the cost of your ticket by picking up all the loose change that often rained down upon you, for some reason the authorities thought that the 10 day lead time would quell any needle that might be hanging over from Saturdays game 2-3 days before. I always thought that 10 days gave the psychos enough time to get their logistics sorted for an even bigger ruck.

Blimey going to this years World Cup could be like popping along to one of those Sealed Knot re-enactments of the English Civil War.

Back to WG’s original comment - wasn’t the second replay venue decided on the toss of a coin?

thought it went and forth alternatively.

I remember a Liverpool Arsenal game, maybe League Cup, that just went on and on, possibly 4 replays?

those were the days....

I remember a Liverpool Arsenal game, maybe League Cup, that just went on and on, possibly 4 replays?

those were the days....

22 November 1971: The longest-ever FA Cup tie finally finishes

Graham Allner played every minute of the six matches it took for Alvechurch to beat Oxford City

At one time neutral venues were used for 2nd and subsequent replays, but that was dropped as making no financial sense.

Back on the TV issue. It's normally been accepted that three weeks notice should be given for TV dates and times, but that now seems to be going by the board as Sky and BT in particular give even less of a sh!t about real love supporters.

It does seem possible that BT want a game on Friday night. At the moment, Sky have got the Spurs game on Friday, and BT may not wish to clash with that if it happens. There may be an argument going on between Sky and BT as Sky have lost both their Sunday games and may be looking for replacements on Friday and/or Sunday.

And, in the meantime, actual live fans suffer. Ridiculous.

those were the days....

I remember Arsenal - Sheff Weds had a bit of a marathon in the late 1970's.

At one time neutral venues were used for 2nd and subsequent replays, but that was dropped as making no financial sense.

The only one I recall us being involved in whilst following Saints was v Grimsby where it was eventually decided at Leicester. Before that of course there was the famous early 60's match v Forest that was played at White Hart Lane.

Great shame about the moving of replays to 10 days notice as the prospect of an immediate replay always racked up the excitement levels over a few days, remember WBA 1976 in particular.

That Grimsby game was a joke, Leicester supposed to be a neutral venue (just google respective distances), in the old Filbert St ground. Awful weather, but in the end we won easy despite all the inflatable fish at the other end. They got upset about that and we had them and a few local idiots trying to get to us as the exits were all open well before the end of the game! Those were the days….

Why are they waiting for the replays before announcing ours?
They want to show Spurs on Friday night if they can. That would almost definitely leave us 13:30 Sunday as there are Prem games on Sky and BT at 13:30 and 17:30 on the Saturday.

If by some miracle, Spurs lose to Rochdale, Sky will have Spurs in the Prem on Friday night. It may be that BBC would then go for a Saturday or even Sunday evening spot rather than clashing.

I still think Monday is out because of internationals.

That is all pure guesswork, and probably b0ll0cks.

But it's annoying. That's a fact.