Saturday, 17 March

Wigan v Southampton (TBC)

Manchester United v Brighton (19:45) - BT Sport

Sunday, 18 March

Leicester v Chelsea (16:30) - BBC One

don't do this to me!

do i or do i not now book travel :scared:

Edited by nta786

If it’s guaranteed to be the Monday, as some people are saying, what’s stopping this from being confirmed? Also, why were sky allowed to schedule a Friday night game on a weekend when four cup games were going to be aired on top of the usual prem games?

It's international week so it will not be the Monday.

Sky are probably showing a game on Friday night because, errr, it's cup weekend and BBC and BT will have big games across Saturday and Sunday. Pretty obvious really.

Edited by CB Fry

It's international week so it will not be the Monday.

Sky are probably showing a game on Friday night because, errr, it's cup weekend and BBC and BT will have big games across Saturday and Sunday. Pretty obvious really.

Isn’t the planned. Friday night PL game Spurs though so barring them getting turned over by Rochdale that game will be rescheduled?

There is also PL game at 530 on Saturday (assume BT) although FA cup and PL TV games have clashed before can’t imagine it would if it was BT’s PL game.

Edited by whelk

To me, that says it's definitely on Saturday and we'll get back to you on the start time.

I agree - especially as the full list includes the fourth match under “TBC” with no day given. So I think we can say it’s saturday, and it will finish before 7:45.

Quarter-finals

Saturday, 17 March

Wigan v Southampton (TBC)

Manchester United v Brighton (19:45) - BT Sport

Sunday, 18 March

Leicester v Chelsea (16:30) - BBC One

TBC

Sheffield Wednesday or Swansea v Rochdale or Tottenham

The BBC article is wrong, the date is still TBC. Earlier it had the time as 3pm on Saturday, which definitely won’t be the case.

I don’t think there will be another game on Saturday because it would clash with the Six Nations coverage, and as it’s the final round, would probably get more viewers.

I’m convinced that one game will be on the Friday and the other Sunday early afternoon.

The BBC article is wrong, the date is still TBC. Earlier it had the time as 3pm on Saturday, which definitely won’t be the case.

I don’t think there will be another game on Saturday because it would clash with the Six Nations coverage, and as it’s the final round, would probably get more viewers.

I’m convinced that one game will be on the Friday and the other Sunday early afternoon.

Do you have any reason for thinking the Beeb are wrong other than the rugby is on?

Cheers mate.

Do you have any reason for thinking the Beeb are wrong other than the rugby is on?

Cheers mate.

Others have also said logistically it could be an issue as Portsmouth play at Oldham on the same time. The police might not be too keen on Saints, Pompey and Brighton fans travelling to the same area on the same day.

I’m fairly certain the BBC are wrong (it may or may not be Saturday) but the official FA announcement said the date was still TBC.

I think it's purely to do with the spilt of tv coverage, if all games were on sky they'd have slots allocated in the knowledge they'd show all games regardless. In this case BT have next pick with BBC being left with the last game. Both BT and BBC schedulers must already know when they want to show the games and therefore should be able to get approval from local police for date change but as they are faffing around waiting for spurs and Swansea replays it implies they are keen for one outcome but not for another , I assume they want Spurs game and are waiting for that to be confirmed. I'm surprised Wigan v Saints wasn't higher up in their preferences

I think it's purely to do with the spilt of tv coverage, if all games were on sky they'd have slots allocated in the knowledge they'd show all games regardless. In this case BT have next pick with BBC being left with the last game. Both BT and BBC schedulers must already know when they want to show the games and therefore should be able to get approval from local police for date change but as they are faffing around waiting for spurs and Swansea replays it implies they are keen for one outcome but not for another , I assume they want Spurs game and are waiting for that to be confirmed. I'm surprised Wigan v Saints wasn't higher up in their preferences

I always thought it was going to be third pick- our game doesn't have the viewership that the United/Chelsea games will have but following Wigans heroics then it would make us third choice- it is a difficult decision to make as to when our game can be played even when you minus the whole 'what time will get us TV companies most viewership'

playing on a Friday- Wigan play on the Wednesday night- not enough recovery time for them

playing on a Saturday- would see Portsmouth, Brighton and Saints fans all up north on one day, though with Brighton kicking off late this shouldn't be an issue, and as I mentioned before, in this day and age and in the year of 2018, I see no issues with us and Pompey fans travelling up north anyway- and Wigan and Oldham are still fairly separated anyway

playing on a Sunday- the Wigan half marathon, I believe police/council would want this given DW stadium is also one of the crucial landmarks as part of the route

playing on the Monday- international week, would require some sort of approval from FIFA etc etc

and then you have the following live televised sport pencilled in live on TV for the weekend:

Friday 16 March

PL: 20:00 Tottenham Hotspur vs Newcastle United (Sky Sports)*

*This match is subject to possible FA Cup sixth round participation

Saturday 17 March

6 NATIONS: 12:30 Italy vs Scotland (ITV)

6 NATIONS: 14:45 England vs Ireland (ITV)

6 NATIONS: 17:00 Wales vs France (BBC)

PL: 17:30 Liverpool vs Watford (BT Sport)

FAC: 19:45 Manchester United vs Brighton and Hove Albion (BT Sport)

Sunday 18 March

FAC: 16:30 Leicester City vs Chelsea (BBC)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Therefore, based on all of above, my prediction is that Spurs will be shown on the Friday night by BT Sport, and that leaves two more possible slots for the BBC- Saturday or Sunday lunchtime (if Monday is off limits).

My prediction personally based on all this is the Saturday lunchtime, and I hope I'm right for me personally! I think the BBC would far prefer a double header showing us on a Sunday lunchtime to maximise viewership (given that final round of 6 Nations is on Saturday), but I am hoping the Wigan half-marathon can rule that one out.

Edited by nta786

Isn’t the planned. Friday night PL game Spurs though so barring them getting turned over by Rochdale that game will be rescheduled?

There is also PL game at 530 on Saturday (assume BT) although FA cup and PL TV games have clashed before can’t imagine it would if it was BT’s PL game.

Yes but the question was why Sky have planned a Friday night game on FA Cup weekend when the answer us they've planned it because it is FA Cup weekend.

The only odd thing is picking a team with a high likelihood of being in the quarters but there you go.

Yes but the question was why Sky have planned a Friday night game on FA Cup weekend when the answer us they've planned it because it is FA Cup weekend.

The only odd thing is picking a team with a high likelihood of being in the quarters but there you go.

So they can show it when its eventually played?

Cheers mate.

The BBC list every fixture as being on a Sat, until the games are officially changed for TV. If you put FA cup dates in google it leads you to the FA’s own website which lists the dates of every round as a Saturday (it doesn’t say “games played over the weekend of”). It appears the default is 3pm on Saturday, until its officially changed . It still maybe a Sat, but I wouldn’t take the bbc as proof it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always thought it was going to be third pick- our game doesn't have the viewership that the United/Chelsea games will have but following Wigans heroics then it would make us third choice- it is a difficult decision to make as to when our game can be played even when you minus the whole 'what time will get us TV companies most viewership'

playing on a Friday- Wigan play on the Wednesday night- not enough recovery time for them

playing on a Saturday- would see Portsmouth, Brighton and Saints fans all up north on one day, though with Brighton kicking off late this shouldn't be an issue, and as I mentioned before, in this day and age and in the year of 2018, I see no issues with us and Pompey fans travelling up north anyway- and Wigan and Oldham are still fairly separated anyway

playing on a Sunday- the Wigan half marathon, I believe police/council would want this given DW stadium is also one of the crucial landmarks as part of the route

playing on the Monday- international week, would require some sort of approval from FIFA etc etc

and then you have the following live televised sport pencilled in live on TV for the weekend:

Friday 16 March

PL: 20:00 Tottenham Hotspur vs Newcastle United (Sky Sports)*

*This match is subject to possible FA Cup sixth round participation

Saturday 17 March

6 NATIONS: 12:30 Italy vs Scotland (ITV)

6 NATIONS: 14:45 England vs Ireland (ITV)

6 NATIONS: 17:00 Wales vs France (BBC)

PL: 17:30 Liverpool vs Watford (BT Sport)

FAC: 19:45 Manchester United vs Brighton and Hove Albion (BT Sport)

Sunday 18 March

FAC: 16:30 Leicester City vs Chelsea (BBC)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Therefore, based on all of above, my prediction is that Spurs will be shown on the Friday night by BT Sport, and that leaves two more possible slots for the BBC- Saturday or Sunday lunchtime (if Monday is off limits).

My prediction personally based on all this is the Saturday lunchtime, and I hope I'm right for me personally! I think the BBC would far prefer a double header showing us on a Sunday lunchtime to maximise viewership (given that final round of 6 Nations is on Saturday), but I am hoping the Wigan half-marathon can rule that one out.

This is not true... see my earlier posts.

Correct. As the international fixtures are only friendlies (and don't start until the Thursday anyway) the Monday date can and still will be used.

Our match will either be Friday night, or Monday night.

Not true, it could be Saturday or Sunday.

Not true, it could be Saturday or Sunday.

How can it be Saturday with pompey playing Oldham on the same day. That would be the same trains, the same service stations........ I not saying its written in stone, but they have never let that happen and can't see them starting now. Hampshire police would have flagged this.

If Sheffield weds win it rules out Saturday lunchtime game for them as Sheffield Utd v Forest being played that day

That game (them or Swansea against Tottenham) is likely to be on the Friday night.

There will definitely a Sunday early afternoon slot as the one Sunday game so far doesn't start until 4.30pm (it wouldn't kick off so late if there wasn't another match before).

I don't think there will be another Saturday game at all.

How can it be Saturday with pompey playing Oldham on the same day. That would be the same trains, the same service stations........ I not saying its written in stone, but they have never let that happen and can't see them starting now. Hampshire police would have flagged this.

12.30 on the Saturday certainly wouldn't affect the service stations. What will the filth take up there, 500-1000? I really can't see it being a massive issue.

If our kick off time is 12.00 or 12.30 there should be a big enough gap in start / finish times to avoid much mixing of our travelling fans, as Oldham v Portsmouth isn't until 15.00.

If our kick off time is 12.00 or 12.30 there should be a big enough gap in start / finish times to avoid much mixing of our travelling fans, as Oldham v Portsmouth isn't until 15.00.

I'd be very surprised if the police take that risk, most travelling fans aim to get up there as early as they can to make pubs before a game and i'd guess that if the Skate knew we were there that day there'd be a certain element of theirs who'd definitely travel at the right time to make sure they met us (and likewise a few of ours that made sure they stuck around after)

12.30 on the Saturday certainly wouldn't affect the service stations. What will the filth take up there, 500-1000? I really can't see it being a massive issue.

To be honest it doesn't matter if they take 500-1000 there's going to be a few on their side and our side who'd be going already who'd definitely fancy saying hello to each other, there's enough examples in the past of this happening to know it'd be attempted (Covent Garden for one).

Anyway i'm fairly sure it won't be saturday and still have my money on the Monday night, only way i can see that changing would be if Spurs and Swansea both go out as then the remaining game is a shoe in for monday as it won't affect the internationals as much

Was speaking to a Wigan fan and he reckoned that they had to wait for the replay as it affects what day sheff weds could possibly play. Sheff Utd are at home on the sat, so if they beat Swansea they'd have to play Sunday/Friday. There's so many options I'll be ****ed if they put us on a Monday night.

On reflection, I don't think the half marathon taking place would prevent a 14:30 kick off. The half marathon is due to start at 9:30 am and the DW Stadium is at the 4 mile mark (Route Map: http://www.runwiganfestivals.co.uk/docs/Half%20Route%20B&W.pdf) . The race starts and finishes in the town centre, so should all be done and dusted by lunchtime. Sunday at 14:30 would be perfect for me. Bring it on!
Only an hour out, but that'll do nicely :)

Don't know if it makes any difference but BT have got Liverpool V Watford on Sat 17th at 5:30pm. They clearly won't pick that slot, so if there's a game in that slot it'll be a BBC game. That's got a big club written all over it. If I was a betting man I'd go for us Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t waste your money pal. A running event on the Sunday, so it’s probably the most unlikely date of the lot. Thank me later :thumbup:

Thanks for the heads up, Pal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's pretty difficult to work out what the broadcasters want and what the police will go along with. For example, very few people would've expected Liverpool to be playing at the exact same time as the Grand National, yet Merseyside Police have OK'd it.

Just goes to show that the only thing that matters to the FA/PL/Football clubs is £££