FA Cup Qtr Final Saints v Wigan or Man City AWAy

John Boy Saint

I think Monday is off limits due to FIFA regulations, because it’s an international week. Maybe they will make an exception if nothing else is possible.

And Wigan play on the Wednesday before, ruling out Friday night (unless they move it to the Tuesday)

Saturday lunchtime could be OK, and will the fact Portsmouth are playing nearby really be an issue? It’ll only be a few hundred fans of theirs anyway.

We’ll find out soon enough anyway, they should be announced today or tomorrow.

You can throw Man U V Brighton into the mix too, potentially 9,000 Brighton fans also travelling up from the south coast if they take their full entitlement. A few fixtures to juggle.

As noted elsewhere, they may avoid Saturday as Pompey are at Oldham that day - would mean Saints and the fishy ones traveling together. [emoji15][emoji849]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

surely that shouldn't make a difference!

with pompeys current predicament there won't be that many going to Oldham surely and also, surely there is no risk of any brawls anyway as Wigan and Oldham are still about 30 miles away from each other!

As others have said, Friday can be ruled out. I think it will be on the sunday personally, but to those saying this game will be first pick for broadcasters, I would have thought the Chelsea/Leicester game and United/Brighton game take further precedence given the involvement of two of the top 6 clubs.

Quick thought. If Spurs manage to reach the semis they'll be playing at home. I suppose money for Wembley trumps all else but is this fair?

tbf it isn't as bad as people are making out it will be- it's been confirmed there will be no more Spurs specific advertising with everything on the day should Spurs progress be neutral for both teams.

Also both teams will be given same seating allocation and there will also be a toss to confirm which team gets the 'home' dressing room (so may not be Spurs anyway).

tbf it isn't as bad as people are making out it will be- it's been confirmed there will be no more Spurs specific advertising with everything on the day should Spurs progress be neutral for both teams.

Also both teams will be given same seating allocation and there will also be a toss to confirm which team gets the 'home' dressing room (so may not be Spurs anyway).

It's more the fact the spurs players have the experience of playing on that pitch and its surroundings all season long.

I'd make them play their semi final at the Emirates......

surely that shouldn't make a difference!

with pompeys current predicament there won't be that many going to Oldham surely and also, surely there is no risk of any brawls anyway as Wigan and Oldham are still about 30 miles away from each other!

Would still be getting on the same trains for most of the way though. I'm not 100% certain, but I expect for both journeys you would need to change at Manchester? If so then I seriously doubt the plod would be happy about that.

Would still be getting on the same trains for most of the way though. I'm not 100% certain, but I expect for both journeys you would need to change at Manchester? If so then I seriously doubt the plod would be happy about that.

They play at 3pm, our game, if it is on the Saturday, it will be at 12.30pm, so any fans would be travelling up earlier than the skates. If the police think there might be an issue then perhaps they can ask Saints to put on free coach travel or something so fans don't use the trains.

Wasn't there a time when Saints played Brighton away and fans had to change trains at Fratton station at the same time as a Portsmouth home game?!

quickest trains to Wigan to not go to Manchesteras its on the West Coast Preston / Glasgow line, but going via Manchester is an option

Is it not possible that the Portsmouth game could be moved instead?

Yes, this is possible, but why would they do that when they (I don't know if any rules due to international week apply) could just move us to Monday and it be on TV?

Almost certain it'll be on the Monday.

They play at 3pm, our game, if it is on the Saturday, it will be at 12.30pm, so any fans would be travelling up earlier than the skates. If the police think there might be an issue then perhaps they can ask Saints to put on free coach travel or something so fans don't use the trains.

Wasn't there a time when Saints played Brighton away and fans had to change trains at Fratton station at the same time as a Portsmouth home game?!

There will be an issue - Potential touch points at both Manchester and London, that's without factoring in that may be traveling on the same train.

Whilst I appreciate it'll only be a small minority actually travelling on trains with fixtures so close it would be too easy for disorder to break out between us and them (on train or on roads, both will be heading the same way at roughly the same time) - I can't see any police force allowing it, personally.

Also, even if the club put on free travel many still wouldn't use it (I certainly wouldn't).

My money's on the Friday, with Wigan's midweek game being moved back to the Tuesday. Just a hunch

My preference would be for the Sunday but can't see that happening if, as someone mentioned above, there's a running event centred around the stadium on the same day.

Edited by trousers

This was the schedule last year, I guess that this year will follow a similar schedule but if a match can't take place on the Monday (as it's International week) then I presume will be on the Friday instead. With the Wigan Run on the Sunday hopefully our match will be one of the Saturday matches not Friday evening.

Saturday 11 March

Middlesbrough v Huddersfield Town or Manchester City (12.15pm) – BT Sport 2

Arsenal v Lincoln City (5.30pm) – BT Sport 2

Sunday 12 March

Tottenham Hotspur v Millwall (2pm) – BBC One

Monday 13 March

Chelsea v Manchester United (7.45pm) – BBC One

Don't know if it makes any difference but BT have got Liverpool V Watford on Sat 17th at 5:30pm. They clearly won't pick that slot, so if there's a game in that slot it'll be a BBC game. That's got a big club written all over it. If I was a betting man I'd go for us Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know if it makes any difference but BT have got Liverpool V Watford on Sat 17th at 5:30pm. They clearly won't pick that slot, so if there's a game in that slot it'll be a BBC game. That's got a big club written all over it. If I was a betting man I'd go for us Sunday.

Why not a 12.30 Saturday slot?

Quick thought. If Spurs manage to reach the semis they'll be playing at home. I suppose money for Wembley trumps all else but is this fair?

It's not fair and it's generally a disgrace that one club gets to use Wembley as it's home ground.

Does it really matter? They won't get a bigger allocation than any opponent.

Does it really matter? They won't get a bigger allocation than any opponent.

No, but they have a massive advantage of playing on that pitch week in week out. An advantage that no other team gets.

If you don’t think that matters (also remember Wembley is much bigger than most other pitches), then you’re deluded.

I think a 12.30 slot on the Saturday makes the most sense. According to the FIFA website, all players have to be released to their national teams by 8.30am latest on Monday 19th, so it can't possibly be the Monday night. It can't be the Friday because they play earlier that week, and on the Sunday there's the Wigan Marathon going through the stadium. All roads lead to Saturday.

Don’t waste your money pal. A running event on the Sunday, so it’s probably the most unlikely date of the lot. Thank me later :thumbup:

No, but they have a massive advantage of playing on that pitch week in week out. An advantage that no other team gets.

If you don’t think that matters (also remember Wembley is much bigger than most other pitches), then you’re deluded.

Nonsense, no it isn't.

The Wembley pitch is the same size as the standard dimensions in Premier League rules for Premier League clubs... the Wembley pitch is exactly the same size as the St Mary's pitch!

- the Wembley pitch is 105m by 68m

- the St Mary's pitch is 105m by 68m

- 15 of the 20 Premier League pitches this season are 105m by 68m

- the other 5 (Everton, Palace, Liverpool, Huddersfield, Chelsea) are unable to be that big due to historic stadium design predating the rules restricting the size

Premier League rules state if your stadium can have a 105m by 68m pitch... then you have to! Tis the rules, which is why 15 of the 20 pitches are now as big as Wembley's pitch.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Nonsense, no it isn't.

The Wembley pitch is the same size as the standard dimensions in Premier League rules for Premier League clubs... the Wembley pitch is exactly the same size as the St Mary's pitch!

- the Wembley pitch is 105m by 68m

- the St Mary's pitch is 105m by 68m

- 15 of the 20 Premier League pitches this season are 105m by 68m

- the other 5 (Everton, Palace, Liverpool, Huddersfield, Chelsea) are unable to be that big due to stadium design restricting a bigger pitch

Fair enough, knew it was bigger than WHL and just assumed it was bigger than most stadiumsas you always hear ‘how big the Wembley pitch ks’.

Regardless, playing on the same pitch / stadium week in week out holds a distinct advantage.

I’m sure the FA will be desperate for Spurs to get knocked out or draw the winner of us against Wigan in Semi final. Jose will have a field day if it’s Utd Spurs at Wembley. Problem FA have got is if they change semi final and Spurs then win, can they then not change the actual final. They can’t change the final, so they’ll have to tough out the semi final.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think a 12.30 slot on the Saturday makes the most sense. According to the FIFA website, all players have to be released to their national teams by 8.30am latest on Monday 19th, so it can't possibly be the Monday night. It can't be the Friday because they play earlier that week, and on the Sunday there's the Wigan Marathon going through the stadium. All roads lead to Saturday.

So can't be Friday because they play midweek (although they could change), can't be Monday because of internationals and can't be Sunday because of this run you mention. If it's Sat and a clash with Skates/Oldham 12:30 KO is going to be better for police than 17:30 and the risk of travel together. Add to that the fact I can't see the BBC wanting our game as their Sat choice, all leaves 12:30 sat pretty much nailed on. Good job I'm not a betting man as I'd have lost my dough.

BBC have six nations on Saturday evening too.

There is some talk that BT might push for a Saturday 7.45pm game. If they had the Liverpool game at 5.30pm followed by Man Utd at 7.45pm, it would be huge ratings for them.

I was looking at this Wigan half marathon and it starts at 9.30am. How long do they last typically? Would Sunday at 4pm still be pushing it or would everything be done and dusted?

Tottenham are scheduled in the league to play on the Friday night, so if they get through then it would be the most sensible option to just keep Spurs on Friday. Chelsea can't play on that day due to Champions League on the Wednesday, and it wouldn't be good for the fans (if the FA care) to send Saints or Brighton on a long away day on a working day.

Edited by Pamplemousse

So can't be Friday because they play midweek (although they could change), can't be Monday because of internationals and can't be Sunday because of this run you mention. If it's Sat and a clash with Skates/Oldham 12:30 KO is going to be better for police than 17:30 and the risk of travel together. Add to that the fact I can't see the BBC wanting our game as their Sat choice, all leaves 12:30 sat pretty much nailed on. Good job I'm not a betting man as I'd have lost my dough.

If true that's proper ****, I might look at staying up there the night before.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

In recent seasons we've had lunchtime kick-offs away t Manchester City and f'kin Sunderland for TV, I think travelling fans rank fairly low on their decisions.
Absolutely. Convenience for fans is the one issue that will not be considered. Timing for the Asian market is more important, so I'm going for 06:00 on Saturday.

BBC have six nations on Saturday evening too.

There is some talk that BT might push for a Saturday 7.45pm game. If they had the Liverpool game at 5.30pm followed by Man Utd at 7.45pm, it would be huge ratings for them.

I was looking at this Wigan half marathon and it starts at 9.30am. How long do they last typically? Would Sunday at 4pm still be pushing it or would everything be done and dusted?

Tottenham are scheduled in the league to play on the Friday night, so if they get through then it would be the most sensible option to just keep Spurs on Friday. Chelsea can't play on that day due to Champions League on the Wednesday, and it wouldn't be good for the fans (if the FA care) to send Saints or Brighton on a long away day on a working day.

be easier to pick the winner out of the hat the way its going with all these slots definitely unavailable

There will be an issue - Potential touch points at both Manchester and London, that's without factoring in that may be traveling on the same train.

Whilst I appreciate it'll only be a small minority actually travelling on trains with fixtures so close it would be too easy for disorder to break out between us and them (on train or on roads, both will be heading the same way at roughly the same time) - I can't see any police force allowing it, personally.

Also, even if the club put on free travel many still wouldn't use it (I certainly wouldn't).

A lot of the services go through Crewe as well, so you'd be look at potential clash points at London, Crewe and Manchester, and no doubt some from both sides would go looking for it too.

Also the whole thing about our kick off being earlier means nothing, who goes on the train to an away day and arrives just in time for the game? I know that i'm always looking to get there early enough to get into the pubs before and i doubt i'm abnormal.

Also post game i'd assume most Saints and Skates will probably drink in Manchester as it's much better for pubs and the train will leave from there.

Anyway that's all by the by as i'm fairly sure it'll be Monday. Monday is probably the worst day for it from our perspective as it means time off work both Monday and Tuesday as there'd be no trains back on the Monday night. Not of course that TV would give a sh*t about that, travelling fans aren't particularly important to them.

Rationale behind it being monday is that Wigan play midweek, Wednesday night, so that rules out a game two days later on the Friday. Saturday lunchtime will be saved for one of the big clubs as it gets some of the biggest viewing figures, my guess there would be Chelsea/Leicester, also the Skates playing in Oldham that day will come into the decision.

Sunday 4pm will almost certainly go to United as they're the biggest TV pull and we can't do the early kick off on Sunday as there's a Marathon in Wigan that morning.

That leaves the Monday evening game. Unless they decide to do a late saturday kick off, but i'd be surprised personally if the police would be happy to have Saints, Pompey and Brighton all in Manchester on the same day.

A lot of the services go through Crewe as well, so you'd be look at potential clash points at London, Crewe and Manchester, and no doubt some from both sides would go looking for it too.

Also the whole thing about our kick off being earlier means nothing, who goes on the train to an away day and arrives just in time for the game? I know that i'm always looking to get there early enough to get into the pubs before and i doubt i'm abnormal.

Also post game i'd assume most Saints and Skates will probably drink in Manchester as it's much better for pubs and the train will leave from there.

Anyway that's all by the by as i'm fairly sure it'll be Monday. Monday is probably the worst day for it from our perspective as it means time off work both Monday and Tuesday as there'd be no trains back on the Monday night. Not of course that TV would give a sh*t about that, travelling fans aren't particularly important to them.

Rationale behind it being monday is that Wigan play midweek, Wednesday night, so that rules out a game two days later on the Friday. Saturday lunchtime will be saved for one of the big clubs as it gets some of the biggest viewing figures, my guess there would be Chelsea/Leicester, also the Skates playing in Oldham that day will come into the decision.

Sunday 4pm will almost certainly go to United as they're the biggest TV pull and we can't do the early kick off on Sunday as there's a Marathon in Wigan that morning.

That leaves the Monday evening game. Unless they decide to do a late saturday kick off, but i'd be surprised personally if the police would be happy to have Saints, Pompey and Brighton all in Manchester on the same day.

Have you missed the point that this would need special dispensation as we have to release all international players by Monday morning? It's an international week.

Have you missed the point that this would need special dispensation as we have to release all international players by Monday morning? It's an international week.

Yup that's true but we're probably the smallest amount of players participating that'd need that, partly due to us not being as good as we were and also the opposition. If someone is playing on Monday night (which seems likely) then someone will need that special dispensation, across the games ours is probably the one with the least International players in it.

BBC have occasionally put a match on Sunday evening and that may happen, given all the other problems. Awful time for fans, though.

Whatever, I'm convinced it's going to be stupid o'clock on a silly day. 6am Saturday would be good for the Asian TV market.

Edited by Shroppie

Wasn’t the biggest tie in last year’s quarterfinals (Chelsea v Utd) on the Monday night? In the 3rd round the Merseyside derby was the Friday night. Kind of goes against the big teams getting the prime Sunday slots...

Will they wait for the two replays before making a decision on this?

With what Wigan have just done to Man City, I'd think our tie now could be the pick of the round for TV. They'll be expecting another giant killing and Wigan probably have the nation's heart right now. But have they heard of Wigan in Asia?
I haven't even heard if a Wigan in Asia. Thailand? [emoji6]

With what Wigan have just done to Man City, I'd think our tie now could be the pick of the round for TV. They'll be expecting another giant killing and Wigan probably have the nation's heart right now. But have they heard of Wigan in Asia?

I’d doubt it’s the first pick, all about viewing figures, which United, Spurs and Chelsea will provide more than us.

We’ll probably be fourth pick, which will mean being on BBC.

Leicester v Chelsea would be the first pick for BBC, that’s most likely to be an upset.

I'm inclined to disagree.

Leicester beating Chelsea at home wouldn't be as newsworthy as another premier league team being knocked out by a third division team.

Yes, there's probably more probability of Leicester beating Chelsea than Wigan beating us, but TV companies tend to prefer the potential of a giant killing in cup games, ergo I'd be surprised if our game wasn't the BBC's first pick. (After all, it's not the BBC's job to chase ratings and thus simply pick one of the 'big 6'... ahem...)

Edited by trousers