Burnley (a) build up

LaptopSaint

Cedric gets into decent attacking positions but his final ball is really, really poor. 0 assists this season, very poor for an attacking right back. Pied has more than him ffs and he's barely played. I guess that's why he plays for us and not one of the big teams.

Lemina is a quality player, there's no doubt about it.

I agree Pample, I like Lemina a lot, he was a very good signing (unlike Hoedt) but to claim he'd improve the top 6 is laughable.

I'd want to see Sims given a start but one assumes the manager would deem that 'too risky' at this stage of the season...

--------------------- McCarthy ----------------------

-- Cedric --- Stephens ---- Hoedt ---- Bertrand --

---------- Hojbjerg ------------ Lemina ------------

-- JWP --------------- Sims -------------- Tadic --

----------------------- Guido ------------------------

Bench: Forster, McQueen, Yoshida/Bednarek, Romeu, Boufal, Hesketh/Redmond, Long/Obafemi/Gabbi

That would be my team too. I heard a whisper that Sims was on the verge of a start a few games back, but picked up a big at the critical moment.

Still think on the bench is more likely, with Boufal or Redmond starting. I though the latter was somewhat better last Saturday. He provided a pacy outlet and didn't give the ball away as much, but there's still a lack of intelligence in his decision making and use of the ball.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I agree Pample, I like Lemina a lot, he was a very good signing (unlike Hoedt) but to claim he'd improve the top 6 is laughable.

the bloke had just played in the CL final last season. Honestly I was shocked when we signed him and you can tell when the guy wants to he is a class above all our players.

Cedric gets into decent attacking positions but his final ball is really, really poor. 0 assists this season, very poor for an attacking right back. Pied has more than him ffs and he's barely played. I guess that's why he plays for us and not one of the big teams.

Lemina is a quality player, there's no doubt about it.

The old "no assists" stat. Trouble with assists is that they require someone else to have scored a goal. Our strikers don't score, therefore there are very few assists. Most of our assists come from set pieces in which Cedric is not a factor. 16 assists in the PL for the whole squad this season to date (Tadic, bertrand and Redmond 3 each). Assists are a very poor measure of a player's quality and effectiveness.

That would be my team too. I heard a whisper that Sims was on the verge of a start a few games back, but picked up a big at the critical moment.

A big what? Mac?

Can't have been an injury as he's been turning out regularly for the U23s for a while now.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I like Cedric, I think he is very sound defensively, offers us good pace and width down the right flank, which allows JWP or whoever else, to find pockets in between the LB and CB. His crossing / final product is poor though and for that reason he is not one of the best in the world. Improve on that and he would be close. Again, all my opinion.

As for Lemina, Okay, Chelsea is debatable (IMO he’d improve them as he is better than Drinkwater and bakayoko. Also, personally I don’t think that Fabregas is suited to a 2 (great player on the ball and going forward, not soo great defensively. My opinion) but If you don’t think that he would improve Arsenal or Liverpool then, I’m sorry, but you are absolutely deluded.

As for Promes, you earlier mentioned he has ‘stats way above our level’ wtf does that mean btw :lol: , you seem to forget that he’s playing in a far weaker league. If he’s going to be a half decent player in the PL I would expect him to score goals for fun where he is. Also, I know 100% that promes agreed, in principle, to come here - you can read all the forums / press you like, I know that is 100% factually true.

It’s dangerous to look at stats and assess a player based on them.

Time will tell. I’m almost certain that when they both eventually leave, it’ll be to CL clubs.

Anyway, moving onto topic.... we should beat Burnley, our squad is far better, but I think we’ll draw 1-1.

Sims is definitely too risky. I saw him kick the ball forwards at least a few times at the weekend. Need to get him out of that habit.

:lol:

He's potentially exactly what we need at the moment. Quick, direct and has no fear (at the moment - that'll be coached out of him in no time).

I like Cedric, I think he is very sound defensively, offers us good pace and width down the right flank, which allows JWP or whoever else, to find pockets in between the LB and CB. His crossing / final product is poor though and for that reason he is not one of the best in the world. Improve on that and he would be close. Again, all my opinion.

As for Lemina, Okay, Chelsea is debatable (IMO he’d improve them as he is better than Drinkwater and bakayoko. Also, personally I don’t think that Fabregas is suited to a 2 (great player on the ball and going forward, not soo great defensively. My opinion) but If you don’t think that he would improve Arsenal or Liverpool then, I’m sorry, but you are absolutely deluded.

As for Promes, you earlier mentioned he has ‘stats way above our level’ wtf does that mean btw :lol: , you seem to forget that he’s playing in a far weaker league. If he’s going to be a half decent player in the PL I would expect him to score goals for fun where he is. Also, I know 100% that promes agreed, in principle, to come here - you can read all the forums / press you like, I know that is 100% factually true.

It’s dangerous to look at stats and assess a player based on them.

Time will tell. I’m almost certain that when they both eventually leave, it’ll be to CL clubs.

Anyway, moving onto topic.... we should beat Burnley, our squad is far better, but I think we’ll draw 1-1.

Already climbed down about Chelsea, wouldn't get a sniff in at Spurs, City or Utd and questionable whether he's better than Can at Liverpool or Wiltshere and Ozil at Arsenal. As Arsenal play a 5 I'll concede he's better than Xhaka, Elneny and any others they have so probably he'd get in there.

As for the highlighted bit...You don't. You couldn't possibly know unless you're another claiming BS ITK status with zero substance. Is that what you are claiming is it?

Burnley 1 - 1 Saints this weekend. Not good enough but typical resort to type performance from a clown of a manager.

This is why some of us even preferred Martina over Cedric sometimes. He's grown as a defender, but he still has a lot to improve.

16 assists in the PL for the whole squad this season to date (Tadic, bertrand and Redmond 3 each). Assists are a very poor measure of a player's quality and effectiveness.

Yet one of your examples Ryan Bertrand who plays a similar role and position has 3, all from open play as well if I am not mistaken. Cedric's final ball and delivery have been abysmal this season.

Bloody hell, Yoshida out for 5 weeks!

What happens if one of Stephens or Hoedt gets injured?????

The decision to not sign a centre back has backfired massively. Well done Les.

Nothing sort of criminal and obvious at the time we needed one.

Bloody hell, Yoshida out for 5 weeks!

What happens if one of Stephens or Hoedt gets injured?????

The decision to not sign a centre back has backfired massively. Well done Les.

Bednarek.

Or Bertrand turns centreback and we play McQueen.

there will always be 11 on the pitch. whether they are of the quality we want, well that is a completely different matter. I wish we had an owner who was not so transparent because it does make me wonder, why was at least £40m of the £60m we receive for VVD not spent in January.

Sims is definitely too risky. I saw him kick the ball forwards at least a few times at the weekend. Need to get him out of that habit.

He played a nice sharp nutmeg as well, followed by a decent ball to JWP. We looked more dangerous as soon as he came on.

Bednarek.

Or Bertrand turns centreback and we play McQueen.

there will always be 11 on the pitch. whether they are of the quality we want, well that is a completely different matter. I wish we had an owner who was not so transparent because it does make me wonder, why was at least £40m of the £60m we receive for VVD not spent in January.

Isn't he out on loan, or was the just a rumour? Wouldn't surprise me by genius Reed.

Edit: It looks like it's Gardos on loan. :mcinnes:

Edited by Dark Munster

Yet one of your examples Ryan Bertrand who plays a similar role and position has 3, all from open play as well if I am not mistaken. Cedric's final ball and delivery have been abysmal this season.

So do you think 3 assists is great then? It was designed to show how poor we are this season at assists. I said also that Cedric is not involved in free kicks and corners, whereas Bertie is. Bertie's 3 league assists, include one corner (v Leicester) and 2 crosses in the Everton 4-1 win. So he has made assists from open play in one game this season (and excellent plays they were). The point is criticising anyone based on assists is just daft, assists are one of the most stupid metrics used these days. You can't assist if no-one scores. In the same Everton game Cedric made a great cross that Austin contrived to hit against the upright. It was as good a ball as either of Bertie's but you don't get an assist for hitting the post.

So do you think 3 assists is great then? It was designed to show how poor we are this season at assists. I said also that Cedric is not involved in free kicks and corners, whereas Bertie is. Bertie's 3 league assists, include one corner (v Leicester) and 2 crosses in the Everton 4-1 win. So he has made assists from open play in one game this season (and excellent plays they were). The point is criticising anyone based on assists is just daft, assists are one of the most stupid metrics used these days. You can't assist if no-one scores. In the same Everton game Cedric made a great cross that Austin contrived to hit against the upright. It was as good a ball as either of Bertie's but you don't get an assist for hitting the post.

You can’t compare Shane Long and Harry Kane on the simple statistic of goals scored. I mean Shane has had far tougher chances and played against goalkeepers in form. Meaningless stats. More important is how fast they are and how fast they run and how high they jump,

Either way, Cedric's final ball and delivery have been very poor this season.

Lemina would walk into the Liverpool, Arsenal and possibly even the Spurs midfield. He's absolute class when he's not playing with an injury.

Pellegrino will play 1 up front and will send the team out to try to control the game. So we will have more possession than Burnley, but will do stuff all with it. Will be a drab awful game with a couple of defensive errors thrown in so 1-1.

yes, about right. it will be just enough to not get him sacked again, but no real use to us in terms of staying up. or should that be 'and therefore'

Lemina would walk into the Liverpool, Arsenal and possibly even the Spurs midfield. He's absolute class when he's not playing with an injury.

Ugh not again. No he absolutely wouldn't walk into Spur's midfield, Dembele and Wanyama are both better options. Liverpool is debatable because Henderson is actually dreadful but Can isn't a world cup winner and Juve's new signing for nothing. Arsenal have plenty of average trash in there though, and as they play 5 across midfield he's better than the options they have aside from Ramsey and Ozil...jury out on Wiltshere

Ugh not again. No he absolutely wouldn't walk into Spur's midfield, Dembele and Wanyama are both better options. Liverpool is debatable because Henderson is actually dreadful but Can isn't a world cup winner and Juve's new signing for nothing. Arsenal have plenty of average trash in there though, and as they play 5 across midfield he's better than the options they have aside from Ramsey and Ozil...jury out on Wiltshere

You're right, he's not :mcinnes: :lol::lol::lol:

But you're admitting that he would get into Liverpools side and that he would get into Arsenal's side, therefore, he would / could play for a top 6 team. Not as 'Laughable' as you first made out then. Wally :mcinnes:

Edited by SKD

Phew! That keeps them off the field. More likely to see Sims. Would be bloody great if Gabbi could get scoring again.
If we are one up with ten to play, Long is a really decent option if we need to get up the park. Maybe not a starter but he can do a job in certain situations.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Phew! That keeps them off the field. More likely to see Sims. Would be bloody great if Gabbi could get scoring again.

As frustrating as Long invariably is Gabbi has been worse this season. I have run out of patience with his performance and can’t even see any effort now.

He is much better on the ball compared to Wanyama.

Can didnt make his debut for Germany until 2015, after the world cup.

He would certainly improve on what Arsenal have at the moment.

Apart from that you're entirely correct

As frustrating as Long invariably is Gabbi has been worse this season. I have run out of patience with his performance and can’t even see any effort now.

To be fair to Gabbiadini he has had to play under a total goon of a manager whose idea of winning a game is rotating the ball through a midfield 5 and a back 4 and back to the goalkeeper. I am sure he tells his lone striker to run around a bit and then make the tea at half time.