Bring back four Saints players and a manager to save our season.

norwaysaint

Imagine you had a machine and could go back and grab a clone of FOUR past saints players while in their saints prime (So Bale/Shearer as they were for us, not later clubs).

Plus you could take a saints manager too, so that MP doesn't just put them on the bench...

The rest of the team have to come from players currently available.

What's your team line up to save our season and who's picking and coaching the team?

Pottychino

Mane

Lallana

Wanyama

Alderwald

Gone for the more recent footballers as I believe anyone playing football 15 years ago would not survive the pace of it today.

Change Lallana for Schneiderlin at his best and that would be pretty good, although I might be tempted by Lambert a his best instead of Mane.

So what would your eleven be?

Blimey!

.............................McCarthy..........................

........Stephens.......Yoshida.........Hoydt............

Cedric...................Lamina..................Bertrand

...............Case..................Ball.......................

..............LeTissier..........................................

.....................................Channon..................

Pottychino

Mane

Lallana

Wanyama

Alderwald

Gone for the more recent footballers as I believe anyone playing football 15 years ago would not survive the pace of it today.

Swap Lallana for Jay-Rod (under Poch) and this would be mine.

McCarthy / Forster

Cedric Toby Hodet Bertrand

Wanyama Lemina

Mane Boufal Jay

Austin

With a decent manager is unreal. Goals, Pace and solidity at the back.

Edited by SKD

Steve Wigley

Davenport

Le Saux

Camara

and the bloke who went down with every club he played for??

Nigel Quasie (just googled it)

and maybe Rudi Skatchel in reserve.

That would do it.

You wouldn’t want Olivier Bernard as LB?

Line up would have to be:

McCarthy

Cerdric - Alderweireld - Hoedt - Bertrand

- Lemina - Wanyama

Boufal - Mane - Lallana

- Austin -

Managed by Pochettino

Antti Niemi for McCarthy

Killer in for Stephens

That should tighten up the defence.

Up front I'd be tempted to replace our strikers with 2003 vintage Beattie.

Final choice is between MLT for Tadic or Mane for Boufal. Can't decide if I want pace or a Legend.

Manager would probably WGS just because I like him Poch would be better obviously but I still think he is a bit if a ****

From the stories I hear from my Dad, I'd quite like to see John McGrath in the side for games against the big boys, assuming the ref is being extra lenient of course.

From my own time, I'd probably go for Michael Svensson, Matt Le Tissier, Ronnie Ekelund & Rickie Lambert. Frankie Bennett just missing the cut.

Pottychino

Mane

Lallana

Wanyama

Alderwald

Agree about fitness and pace and pretty much agree with the selections.

Lallana I would probably live without as we have Tadic (can he also be turned in to the Tadic of 2-3 years ago?).

Torn between VVD to give an unbelievable CB partnership with Toby, or Pelle to give us the target man we've missed for 18 months (plus come to think of it he brings the best out of Tadic)

On balance then: Mane, Pelle (with bonus of rejuvenated Tadic), Wanyama and Toby

…………………………..…………McCarthy…………………………….…………

Cedric..............Stephens..............Hoydt.............Bertrand

……………..…………..Lamina……………..Romeo……………………………

Mane …………….…..………. LeTissier ……………..…….…..….…. Bale

……………………………………… Shearer ………………..……………………..

And you don't think we need a CB?......

Les Reed, is that you?

Everything written on this forum about you, is true. You are a knob, you just think you're a very clever person, so I'll give you the benefit of doubt, and assume you are a clever knob. This thread was a bit of fun, but no, along comes one of the forum bully boys, and thinks his opinion is more valued than anyone else's. I stand by my thoughts, we need to score goals, that is what is missing in the team, or do you not agree?

Le Tissier

Shearer

Fonte

Van Dyke

…………………………..…………McCarthy…………………………….…………

Cedric..............Van Dyjk..............Fonte... ..........Bertrand

……………..…………..Lamina……………..Romeo……………………………

JWP…………….…..………. LeTissier ……………..…….…..….…. Tadic

……………………………………… Shearer ………………..……………………..

We'd finish in the top half

Everything written on this forum about you, is true. You are a knob, you just think you're a very clever person, so I'll give you the benefit of doubt, and assume you are a clever knob. This thread was a bit of fun, but no, along comes one of the forum bully boys, and thinks his opinion is more valued than anyone else's. I stand by my thoughts, we need to score goals, that is what is missing in the team, or do you not agree?

:lol: your heads gone mate.

But to answer your question. I do partly agree. We clearly need to improve in the final 3rd (I actually think we have slightly over the past few weeks - L'pool aside), I'd argue what we actually need is some pace and creativity in midfield. But we are also an shambles at the back. If you were an opposing team playing against us, you'd play a big man up front (make him stick on Stephens) and whip crosses into him.

To think our issues are just in attack is ludicrous. We've not been good enough all across the pitch, all season.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's a football forum, things are to be debated.... don't take it to heart, pet.

Not sure about the whole team, but for a relegation special I would go for Monkou, Marsden, Le Tiss and Pahars - all of those guys delivered when we needed them to.

Manager...I'll go for Alan Ball, even in v2018 he'd still build the team around Le Tiss and we'd sail away from the drop zone!

A fun but tough question! Where would the four players most improve the current team? For me our biggest issue is a reliable finisher - in my time Shearer edges Lambert (only saw Channon on TV). Difficult to look beyond MLT as the most creative player I've seen but he'd have to buy into modern day fitness regimes! Then is it's 2 from David Armstrong (edges Chris Marsden), VVD, and Tim Flowers (I only saw Shilton play for Forest). Manager Poch ahead of Strachan.

Potential to chose the two best british players of the last 30years.... and they get 5 mentions in total out of all of these posts.

Default:

Shearer

Bale

Additions

Mane

Toby.

That is 4 players far above the current ability of our weakest squad areas.

Others (but not exclusively):

Morgan

Wanyama

VVD

Clyne

Oxlade

Le Tiss

Ball

Channon

Killer

Lallana

Lambert

Fonte

Keegan

Shilton

Team:

Alex

Bertrand, Toby, Stephens, Cedric

Lemina, Romeu, JWP

Bale Mane

Shearer

The possible change to this would be to drop Toby and stick Le Tissier in the middle for JWP/Lemina/Romeu.

Edited by Saint86

Ohhhh, what a good thread idea!

Manager: Has to be WGS. As someone else has pointed out, he got our team to be the fittest in the league and we benefited from it with lots and lots of late goals. Also, always value for money in interviews and a firm fan favourite. Was gutted when it was announced he was going for health reasons.

Niemi: My wife would kill me if I didn't pick him as one of the four. Probably the best keeper to pull on the Saints shirt in my supporting days. Everything you could want in a keeper, did the basics perfectly and hardly ever made mistakes....Fratton Park the exception. Made saves that he had no right to make, great reactions and had a real air of authority and respect about him. No nonsense player.

M. Svensson: Would shore up our defense and be the perfect foil for either Stephens or Hoedt as the ball player of the 2. Great vision, wonderful tackler and such a tough player with pace. Would score his share of goals as well.

Pahars: Clinical finishing, pace and a joy to watch. Pahars at his peak was one of the best players in the league.

Le Tissier: How could you not? The BEST player to ever grace the top division in England (in my opinion). Had the skill and vision to set-up goals and score them. There is no way you couldn't include him to be honest. As someone else has already said, build the team round him and off you go.

Potential to chose the two best british players of the last 30years.... and they get 5 mentions in total out of all of these posts.

Default:

Shearer

Bale

Additions

Mane

Toby.

That is 4 players far above the current ability of our weakest squad areas.

Others (but not exclusively):

Morgan

Wanyama

VVD

Clyne

Oxlade

Le Tiss

Ball

Channon

Killer

Lallana

Lambert

Fonte

Keegan

Shilton

Team:

Alex

Bertrand, Toby, Stephens, Cedric

Lemina, Romeu, JWP

Bale Mane

Shearer

The possible change to this would be to drop Toby and stick Le Tissier in the middle for JWP/Lemina/Romeu.

I guess you missed this part in the OP

FOUR past saints players while in their saints prime (So Bale/Shearer as they were for us, not later clubs).

So Bale and Shearer aren't automatic choices based in that criteria.

FOUR past saints players while in their saints prime (So Bale/Shearer as they were for us, not later clubs).

But I would include them, easily good enough to keep us up in their Saints form and worth a fortune in a few years time.

What a terrific question. I'd love to see Svensson next to Toby or Mane and Camara in the same side, but I find it hard not to select Bale, Toby, Shearer and Le Tiss if you can have them at their absolute best (i.e. after they left us). If that is not the case then the additions of Le Tiss, BT, Camara and Toby might see us survive.

Edited by Chez

From the stories I hear from my Dad, I'd quite like to see John McGrath in the side for games against the big boys, assuming the ref is being extra lenient of course.

From my own time, I'd probably go for Michael Svensson, Matt Le Tissier, Ronnie Ekelund & Rickie Lambert. Frankie Bennett just missing the cut.

I was lucky enough to watch big Jake play and get to know him as he was freinds with my late father, he was a beast on the pitch who would not fit into todays non contact sport, but he was a gentleman in every sense of the word off the pitch.

Edited by Toomer

Shearer was better than any current saints striker when with us.

I would argue that Bale is better than our current wingers. Plus he was 17. Not entirely sure what you are taking so much issue with. Toby, Mane, Bale and Shearer would all walk into our current side?!?! :p