Best XI - non Saints

benjii

Hi Saints fans! :thumbup:

After watching the Champions League over the last couple of weeks I started thinking about my best ever XI, plus subs. No Saints allowed.

I wondered what other people would pick. Tremendous fun, right?

The rule is that you can only pick players you have actually watched play a fair bit (TV or live). You can't pick Garrincha, Pele or Puskas if you were born in 1980.

My pick is:

------------------------------de Gea---------------------------

Cafu-----Koeman------Matthias Sammer---Zanetti

--------------Lothar Matthaus-----Xavi-----------------

---------Messi-------------Iniesta-------------Henry------

------------------------------Ronaldo(Brazil)----------------

Subs: Buffon, Dani Alves, Ashley Cole, Busquets, Keane, Zidane, Ronaldinho

That team would batter everyone. Fact!

Honourable mentions: Ronaldo (Portugal), Rio Ferdinand, Vieira, Seedorf, Aguero, Shearer. Jon Parkin.

After watching the Champions League over the last couple of weeks I started thinking about my best ever XI, plus subs. No Saints allowed.

The rule is that you can only pick players you have actually watched play a fair bit (TV or live). You can't pick Garrincha, Pele or Puskas if you were born in 1980.

My pick is:

Honourable mentions: Ronaldo (Portugal), Rio Ferdinand, Vieira, Seedorf, Aguero, Shearer. Jon Parkin.

Maldini ;)

Whilst I do agree with you, what about Bale? - wasn't he the worlds most expensive player for a short time?

The OP mentions Shearer too, and they're his rules ;)

Good spot. Just checking people were paying attention.

Obviously Callum Davenport would have made it too. But for the rule.

This one is of players that I have actually seen play live, rather than on TV.

Buffon

Kaltz Costacurta B Moore Maldini

De Bruyne Vierra Rui Costa Del Piero

Battistuta Marradona

Bobby Moore is only in there on reputation, as I saw him playing for Fulham.

This one is of players that I have actually seen play live, rather than on TV.

Buffon

Kaltz Costacurta B Moore Maldini

De Bruyne Vierra Rui Costa Del Piero

Battistuta Marradona

Bobby Moore is only in there on reputation, as I saw him playing for Fulham.

Battigol was certainly class.

I only really saw Maradonna from 1990 onwards so missed him in his prime I think.

As I was saying no Saints player would get anywhere near the best 24 players that ever graced the game.

depends on your definition of 'anywhere near'. you'd do well to find a top ten GK list that doesn't include Shilton's 30 year career, >1000 games, and world cup clean sheet record.

xavi thought Matty was pretty good: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/barcelona-legend-xavi-reveals-obsession-with-matt-le-tissier-and-his-sickening-goals-a6972401.html

and I'm sure I remember Pele saying Matty was the best in the world in the mid 90's, and would walk into the Brazil team. also 200+ goals from midfield, in a struggling side, in a top league, is pretty special.

and don't forget Delgado...

My pick is:

How many of those players you see live?

It's more fun, more challenging and more interesting if you can only pick a best XI from players you've been to games to see. I might have named Yashin, Pelé, Cruyff, Maradona and Messi but I have only seen them on TV. So, of the players I've seen live, mine would be:

Goedon Banks

Tarcisio Burgnich

John Charles

Bobby Moore

Paolo Maldini

Luis Figo

Zinedine Zidane

Bobby Charlton

George Best

Cristiano Ronaldo

Mario Kempes

Subs: P. Schmeichel, Dani Alves, Sammer, Džajić, De Bruyne, Cantona, Aguero

depends on your definition of 'anywhere near'. you'd do well to find a top ten GK list that doesn't include Shilton's 30 year career, >1000 games, and world cup clean sheet record.

xavi thought Matty was pretty good: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/barcelona-legend-xavi-reveals-obsession-with-matt-le-tissier-and-his-sickening-goals-a6972401.html

and I'm sure I remember Pele saying Matty was the best in the world in the mid 90's, and would walk into the Brazil team. also 200+ goals from midfield, in a struggling side, in a top league, is pretty special.

and don't forget Delgado...

I was going to say the same thing about Shilton. Just how good was he at Forest? I watched him for Saints, but cant remember just how good he was. can't get the 1990 world cup penalty shoot-out out of my head, where he looked old. Also how good was Keegan whilst winning European player of the year twice at Hamburg?

Neuer

Cafu Baresi Desaily Maldini

Matteus Zidane

Messi Platini Maradona

Ronaldo (br)

Subs: Southall, Figo, Baggio, Ronaldo, van Basten

How do I squeeze Gullit, Gazza and del Piero in? Costacurta and Lahm too maybe. Blimey this is hard.

.........................................P Schmeical........................................ ........Nesta...........................Baresi...................Maldini.........

Cafu ...........................................................................Carlos

............Zidane................Mattaus................Messi...............

......................Ronaldo(bra)..............................................

.................................Van Baston.....................................

Edited by danjosaint

Neuer

Cafu Baresi Desaily Maldini

Matteus Zidane

Messi Platini Maradona

Ronaldo (br)

Subs: Southall, Figo, Baggio, Ronaldo, van Basten

How do I squeeze Gullit, Gazza and del Piero in? Costacurta and Lahm too maybe. Blimey this is hard.

Another one I'd like to have squeezed in was Rob Renesenbrink. When he played for Anderlecht against us in 1977, he showed the most sublime ball skills and technical mastery that I'd ever seen at the Dell. Up until then, I'd thought Channon was the master of dribbling but Rensenbrink was at another level. He was, however, just a forerunner of things to come because, since the 70s, football skills have advanced a lot. If you could send players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Messi and Aguero back in time, they'd have been viewed as superior to even Best and Pele. But, it's not fair to compare different eras.

This is impossible, I've got two teams and probably have room for a third

Buffon

Lahm baresi cannavaro maldini

Xavi sammer iniesta

Messi ronaldo c ronaldo

De gea

Cafu bennarivo costacurta brehme

Seedorf vieira mattheus

Henry van basten zidane

No place for Koeman (ex Saint?), batistuta, gullit, moller, klinsman, davids, bergkamp, Roberto Carlos, desailley, maybe Danny blind. Some tough choices for sure.

Edited by Chewy
Swapped brehme for carlos