Burnley 1 Saints 1 - Match & Reactions Thread

St Chalet

Why not start with two up front? It ain’t illegal. Agree the subs were good, they were attack minded subs and we improved due to them. It’s not just today, it’s all fecking season long we set out far too conservatively.

It's not illegal but there is a reason so few teams do it, i don't think away to burnley is the time for us to be trying a system we've not used all season.

****ing and moaning about the manager will achieve nothing at this point of the season. The time to change was before or immediately after the transfer window. Doing it now (especially with no alternative) will result in certain demise.

That’s not to say that I think Pellegrino is the right man long term, just that change at a crucial time isn’t the answer.

Well, if he thinks a draw is as good as a win it is hardly surprising that we have drawn more games than any other team in the division. By his logic we should be somewhere near the top of the table. All those draws just emphasise the fact that he is a very negative coach who prefers to be defensive rather than offensive. Look where that tactic has got us. We should be going all out to win games and not so concerned about losing. He is not brave enough as a manager.

Sadly, I think this really really awful rubbish is actually Mo Pe’s “style” of play. According to Mo Pe:

"It's one point, but the draw is almost the same as a win."

Amazing.

It is so tight between so many teams I can see what he means. I think we would all prefer 3 points though.

Good to see Gabbiadini score but I standby my opinion of him - he offers nothing to the team unless it drops to him in the box. I would play him as well as Carillo, but if we're sticking with one I'd rather keep carillo in. Stick Tadic on the left and Sims on the right (even Redmond on the right so he doesn't need to worry about cutting inside!) And we will look a lot more threatening.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

12 drawn games in the league. If we had turned just half of them into wins, we would be sitting well in 7th. The manager and his negative tactics has to take the blame for that. All this talk of Gabbi possibly saving MPs job is nonsense, think we all know hes here until the end of the season regardless.

Need to start both Carrillo and Gabbi up top plus Sims on the wing for the Stoke game. Back to 44 bloody 2 please

Some of our play today was Sunday league standards and it’s embarrassing how ****e we’ve become.

(1) We win a throw in deep in our half and the thrower lobs it to the left back who pumps it 50 yards straight out of touch towards nobody.

(2) Redmond beats three players and sends a cross 20 feet over everyone.

(3) We hit them on a break and Tadic just had to lay it off left or right but it hits the back of a Burnley player.

(4) Our short corner ends up back at our keeper within 3 passes.

(5) Romeu keeps giving the ball away in our own half.

(6) We don’t do short triangle passes like Burnley did, we just pass it side ways, side ways and boom up the front to a crap striker of ours.

(7) Sims scared Burnley within minutes of coming while JWP was truly awful the whole game.

(Eight) Finally our entire defence play musical statues on the Burnley goal.

Edited by Pilchards

****ing and moaning about the manager will achieve nothing at this point of the season. The time to change was before or immediately after the transfer window. Doing it now (especially with no alternative) will result in certain demise.

That’s not to say that I think Pellegrino is the right man long term, just that change at a crucial time isn’t the answer.

We would do just a well without a manager right now, just let the players go out and do what they want. I bet we would start winning

It's not illegal but there is a reason so few teams do it, i don't think away to burnley is the time for us to be trying a system we've not used all season.

Any time is a time to be trying a system other than the system that has produced the consistently tedious crap we’ve produced virtually all season. We need WINS, we ain’t getting them if we keep on playing so fecking negatively.

Good to see Gabbiadini score but I standby my opinion of him - he offers nothing to the team unless it drops to him in the box. I would play him as well as Carillo, but if we're sticking with one I'd rather keep carillo in. Stick Tadic on the left and Sims on the right (even Redmond on the right so he doesn't need to worry about cutting inside!) And we will look a lot more threatening.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

A fair enough opinion, but ultimately we got a point today because of that. Not sure who else would have scored that chance. Tadic had an opportunity to show why he is the right man to play as the central attacking midfielder, but he didn't take it. Although I thought his effort in the first half was decent, only great cover/block by Mee prevented the goal.

It is so tight between so many teams I can see what he means. I think we would all prefer 3 points though.

I assumed he meant that because we scored in the last minute a draw feels like a win, and that it was slightly lost in translation.

You could be right, though. It is also entirely possible, given how he sets the team up, that he genuinely thinks a draw is as good as a win. It would certainly explain a few things!

Not getting in to a debate about the manager's quality but surely the line up was one of his more forward thinking? Arguably we only had the one holding midfielder and played the likes of redmond and tadic. Short of going two up top (beyond brave away from home when we are struggling) not sure how much more attacking we could have gone?

He made good subs that had an impact too.

No point sending out a 'forward thinking' team, then tell them to play defensively. That is what this idiot does, sets us up not to lose, then when we go a goal down, we have to chase the game. At one point, we played about seven/eight passes around their 18 yard box, no-one making a decisive run into the area with the ball, end result, we gave it away, and they countered. same ****, different week, this bloke has no idea.

Ok, just watched MotD highlights. My thoughts:

1. Burnley goal was handball. No VAR = goal (not enough 'live' evidence). VAR = probably disallowed.

2. Ref wasn't "in the way"; he stood still & Burnley got themselves in a tangle around him because of a misdirected pass. Their fault.

3. Gabbi didn't foul Long before scoring. Long fell over trying to get the ball but missing.

4. It was a better finish than any description in the media I've come across so far - nice volley on the turn.

5. No pen for Burnley at the end = correct decision. Barnes fell over while backing into the defender.

6. Dyche is a moaning minnie.

7. Nice to see Redmond involved in a move leading to a goal.

8. Overall, on limited highlights, seems like we just about deserved our 1 point.

oh, and...

9. Sims. Play him more!

Edited by 5string
added no.9

The Tadic and Redmond and One Up Front Show again I see. Just because it didn't work the last 20 odd times......Goon. As soon as we go 2 up front bang, goal. Fire the muppet. Even if we stay up. Even if we stay up and win the cup, for farks sake, fire the muppet.

On top of that, Tadic on the right and Redmond on the left. What's that definition of insanity again?

1. Burnley goal was handball. No VAR = goal (not enough 'live' evidence). VAR = probably disallowed.

2. Ref wasn't "in the way"; he stood still & Burnley got themselves in a tangle around him because of a misdirected pass. Their fault.

3. Gabbi didn't foul Long before scoring. Long fell over trying to get the ball but missing.

4. It was a better finish than any description in the media I've come across so far - nice volley on the turn.

5. No pen for Burnley at the end = correct decision. Barnes fell over while backing into the defender.

8. Overall, on limited highlights, seems like we just about deserved our 1 point.

oh, and...

9. Sims. Play him more!

In all fairness you should have mentioned that McCarthy handled outside the box but maybe that wasn’t shown on MOTD ?

I am overseas so didn’t see the highlights!

No point sending out a 'forward thinking' team, then tell them to play defensively. That is what this idiot does, sets us up not to lose, then when we go a goal down, we have to chase the game. At one point, we played about seven/eight passes around their 18 yard box, no-one making a decisive run into the area with the ball, end result, we gave it away, and they countered. same ****, different week, this bloke has no idea.

Lets be fair most teams outside the top six (and Man U) play that way. Burnley are sitting in 7th by playing that way all season. Nothing wrong with playing that way if it gets results. Our problem is our defence in particular CBs aren't good enough and we played half a season with calamity Forster in goal so playing defensively is a non starter. So arguably the manager should go for an all out attacking style but then you look at the state of forward line the lack of pace and the inability to finish, breakfast let alone a goal scoring chance, and you realise that probably wouldn't help us much either.

The squad has been eroded badly the last two seasons so that central midfield and the first choice full backs are decent but everywhere else is a mess. A squad that can't keep a clean sheet with forwards who don't convert the chances they get are always going to struggle.

On top of that, Tadic on the right and Redmond on the left. What's that definition of insanity again?

No, Redmond was on the left. JWP was on the right. Tadic played in the middle behind Carrillo. Although, I agree that Tadic's best position is on the left and we should play him there more often (not on the right, or centre).

I'd be interested to hear from those fans of JWP. In my view he has to be removed from that right side attacking position, and therefore the starting side. The difference in attack when Sims came on, together with Boufal and Gabbiadini was dramatic. If we are to stay up the attacking force has to be a mix of Gabbiadini, Carillo, Austin when fit, Tadic, Redmond, Boufal and Sims.

At one point, we played about seven/eight passes around their 18 yard box, no-one making a decisive run into the area with the ball, end result, we gave it away, and they countered. same ****, different week, this bloke has no idea.
is the specific incident you refer to the mangers fault? It's not FIFA with MP holding the controller. Managers might stand by the touchline seemingly directing traffic, but it's our players that don't have the ideas. Yes tactics and formations have a bearing, but not everything is MPs fault. The players need to do far more.

oh, and...

9. Sims. Play him more!

The highlights offered a fair reflection then, McCarthy handball aside, I don't know what Bunley were complaining about. I thought their goal was handball at the time and Barnes, although perhaps fouled on the odd other occasion outside the box, does go to ground a tad easy in the box.

One thing the highlight won't have showed was that Ben Mee looks a cracking CB at this level, whilst our two are better on the. Ball, they look nervy.

is the specific incident you refer to the mangers fault? It's not FIFA with MP holding the controller. Managers might stand by the touchline seemingly directing traffic, but it's our players that don't have the ideas. Yes tactics and formations have a bearing, but not everything is MPs fault. The players need to do far more.

Indeed, which is why we need the Sims, Boufals, Leminas and even Redmond and Tadic being the players with the responsibility to take the game on in attack. The Manager was at fault for maintaining a static attack for over an hour before bringing on the three obvious replacements.

Lets be fair most teams outside the top six (and Man U) play that way. Burnley are sitting in 7th by playing that way all season. Nothing wrong with playing that way if it gets results. Our problem is our defence in particular CBs aren't good enough and we played half a season with calamity Forster in goal so playing defensively is a non starter. So arguably the manager should go for an all out attacking style but then you look at the state of forward line the lack of pace and the inability to finish, breakfast let alone a goal scoring chance, and you realise that probably wouldn't help us much either.

The squad has been eroded badly the last two seasons so that central midfield and the first choice full backs are decent but everywhere else is a mess. A squad that can't keep a clean sheet with forwards who don't convert the chances they get are always going to struggle.

very good post, although I'd argue Cedric has been average at best this season, making it even tougher for us. Having disected the problem, can you offer a possible solution that might improve results fractionally in the short term?

Indeed, which is why we need the Sims, Boufals, Leminas and even Redmond and Tadic being the players with the responsibility to take the game on in attack. The Manager was at fault for maintaining a static attack for over an hour before bringing on the three obvious replacements.
he played 3 of those five players from the start and brought the other two on? Is it the lateness of the substitutions that are the problem? Because He's played them all over this season. They have all failed by and large (sims apaet). The only thing he hasn't done is go 442. I can't argue with people that post that, because it might work, it might not, but I struggle when fans moan at MP because the players first touch is poor, they can't cross, they don't create or take chances.

No, Redmond was on the left. JWP was on the right. Tadic played in the middle behind Carrillo. Although, I agree that Tadic's best position is on the left and we should play him there more often (not on the right, or centre).

Tadic's best position is anywhere but the starting 11. As our supposedly creative force he creates very little, scores not a lot and can take a promising opening and turn it into a panic defensive situation by losing the ball cheaply or passing straight to the opposition. He falls over at the slightest touch or no touch at all. He is slow, he cannot tackle, cannot head the ball or close down. He bottles out of any 50/50 challenge (actually even 60/40 in his favour) and he hides when the going gets tough. He blames everybody / anybody else when he regularly **** up. He takes the worst penalties I have ever seen, and I have never seen him score from a free kick but always wants to take them. His mother is a hamster, and his father smells of elderberries....have I forgotten anything? As you might guess not my favourite player.

In all fairness you should have mentioned that McCarthy handled outside the box but maybe that wasn’t shown on MOTD ?

I am overseas so didn’t see the highlights!

They did show it, but for some reason they only showed it from one angle that didn't really prove anything. Looked a close call but AM clearly released the ball when he realised he was going to carry it over the line, and the ref was perfectly in line to see f he did or not.