Burnley 1 Saints 1 - Match & Reactions Thread

St Chalet

I thought a point was fair myself. I thought their goal was handball, although I might be wrong. We got lucky with the handball by McCarthy and the ref getting in the way in the build up to our goal, but it was a decent finish.

I suspect everyone is moaning about MP, but his subs turned the game round for us. No? Of course not. You have already made your mind up, so you cant credit the guy. I'm not convinced by him, but equally I prefer to judge him, players and the team on a game by game basis.

Burnley are pretty ****. I don't know how they win so many games. They are so limited with the ball and have next to no talent up front. They are extremely solid defensively, but basically they just boot it long to Barnes and live off scraps. It feels prehistoric to me. That said it must be effective. Certainly our two centre halves struggled more than I've seen all season to cope with the physical battle. Our other problem is that we simply do not have enough quality to break down these bang average teams. Tadic and Redmond were terribly ineffective and Carrillo struggled against Mee, who is decent. I thought JWP offered little. He is so slow its not true. Again Cedric was poor. The lack of competition in that position is telling.

Thanks for a balanced view. I was at the game and agree with most if that.

Burnley aren't good, but they are solid and stubborn. Early on they kept grinding out wins by the odd goal and better teams that us gave found them awkward. In our situation we're all desperate for wins but a point isn't as disastrous as some are making out.

But I agree that, once again, there were some strange managerial decisions. Why no Hojbjerg? He's definitely better than Romeu at the moment.

Sims introduction was too late and I still don't like seeing Boufal and Redmond on the pitch together. But recruiting the ref as a blocker for the equaliser was genius.

Really hope that goal will spark Gabbiadini back into life. With Sims providing service for the next games.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

he played 3 of those five players from the start and brought the other two on? Is it the lateness of the substitutions that are the problem? Because He's played them all over this season. They have all failed by and large (sims apaet). The only thing he hasn't done is go 442. I can't argue with people that post that, because it might work, it might not, but I struggle when fans moan at MP because the players first touch is poor, they can't cross, they don't create or take chances.

No, I'm talking about Sims, Boufal and Gabbiadini coming on to the park - I think Sims was the first at the 67 minute mark; yes, I think all three should have been on earlier - a front four of Carillo, Ward-Prowse, Tadic and Redmond was just too slow and ponderous, although Redmond had some good moments. I say Pellegrino picked the wrong attacking formation and waited far too long to change things - at least one of those changes should have been at half time. The Manager just has to set up to win games, not protect them. That's the most infuriating part about his inept period in charge.

I doubt Burnley fans are giving Dyche any stick, and after getting that squad to 7th you'd have to be mad to do so, but his side played the same formation as us, hardly touched the ball in the second half, got a fortunate goal but failed to hang on. MP changed it, we started to cause a few problems, added an extra striker and yet Dyche did nothing. Didn't change their shape, didn't bring on fresh legs or an extra defender. Poor management, Clueless perhaps? Because that's what MP would have been called if the shoe had been on the other foot yesterday. Again, I'm not trying to say MP is a good manager or Dyche a bad one, thei records speak for themselves, just trying to show how game management and substitutions are not easy decisions or things done particularly well by good managers all the time.

I doubt Burnley fans are giving Dyche any stick, and after getting that squad to 7th you'd have to be mad to do so, but his side played the same formation as us, hardly touched the ball in the second half, got a fortunate goal but failed to hang on. MP changed it, we started to cause a few problems, added an extra striker and yet Dyche did nothing. Didn't change their shape, didn't bring on fresh legs or an extra defender. Poor management, Clueless perhaps? Because that's what MP would have been called if the shoe had been on the other foot yesterday. Again, I'm not trying to say MP is a good manager or Dyche a bad one, thei records speak for themselves, just trying to show how game management and substitutions are not easy decisions or things done particularly well by good managers all the time.
when you say they hardly touched the ball in the 2nd half, you are aware there was a period in the 2nd half when they had 70‰ possession over a 15 min spell?

it was 50-50 overall

No, I'm talking about Sims, Boufal and Gabbiadini coming on to the park - I think Sims was the first at the 67 minute mark; yes, I think all three should have been on earlier - a front four of Carillo, Ward-Prowse, Tadic and Redmond was just too slow and ponderous, although Redmond had some good moments. I say Pellegrino picked the wrong attacking formation and waited far too long to change things - at least one of those changes should have been at half time. The Manager just has to set up to win games, not protect them. That's the most infuriating part about his inept period in charge.
you don't pick Tadic to protect a game, but in JWP perhaps you do. Would you go 442 or stick with the formation but go for Sims, Tadic and Boufal

But our changes were so obvious; and so belated. Burnley didn't have the same spark to bring on; only Chris Wood returning from injury. They actually had a ton of possession all game, and on paper their squad looks grossly inferior, yet they were close to three points. I put that down to Dyche; an much superior Manager to our own!

when you say they hardly touched the ball in the 2nd half, you are aware there was a period in the 2nd half when they had 70‰ possession over a 15 min spell?

it was 50-50 overall

I actually thought that 15 minute period of 70% possession was with saints, but just shows how my memory os going as Saints age me. Surprised at the 50:50 stat I have to say.

But our changes were so obvious; and so belated. Burnley didn't have the same spark to bring on; only Chris Wood returning from injury. They actually had a ton of possession all game, and on paper their squad looks grossly inferior, yet they were close to three points. I put that down to Dyche; an much superior Manager to our own!
cant argue with Dyche doing well with his limited squad, but on this single occasion he failed. If the roles were reversed we would moan that MP did not react to the changes and maybe bring an extra centre back on Or fresh legs for the last five minutes.

I actually thought that 15 minute period of 70% possession was with saints, but just shows how my memory os going as Saints age me. Surprised at the 50:50 stat I have to say.
we were on top when we actually Brought some pace and forwards on

I really do not believe the idiot in charge would have done that whilst at 0-0

not sims and gabbi anyway

you don't pick Tadic to protect a game, but in JWP perhaps you do. Would you go 442 or stick with the formation but go for Sims, Tadic and Boufal

I'd have Sims wide right, Tadic left, Boufal at 10 and Gabbiadini or Carillo up front depending on the opposition. That would leave Redmond, Hesketh even Hojbjerg as an attacking midfield option; or JWP if the dead ball delivery to Carillo/a fit Austin was seen as a strategy. The option for two up front should always be there depending on the circumstances of the game. We haven't "got at" the opposition from the off this season have we? The Manager sets the tone for that with his selections and set-up.

fair point and I think you are right. I am guessing you'd pick Gabi and Sims, as a three up front?

I'd have Sims wide right, Tadic left, Boufal at 10 and Gabbiadini or Carillo up front depending on the opposition. That would leave Redmond, Hesketh even Hojbjerg as an attacking midfield option; or JWP if the dead ball delivery to Carillo/a fit Austin was seen as a strategy. The option for two up front should always be there depending on the circumstances of the game. We haven't "got at" the opposition from the off this season have we? The Manager sets the tone for that with his selections and set-up.
Boufal and Tadic in the same team doesn't seem to work. Gabi on his own up front hasn't worked. With all due respect, apart from Sims you seem to be selecting guys/positions that have failed this season

id have gabbi in the 10 position with tadic left, sims right...with Carrillo up top

Just whaaaaaaaay to adventurous for MP

not sure I know what the 10 position is, because Gabi isn't one I'd play in the hole? He's a striker, that plays on the shoulder of defenders.

not sure I know what the 10 position is, because Gabi isn't one I'd play in the hole? He's a striker, that plays on the shoulder of defenders.
Well, then that. continuing with the current set up is failing miserably

I don't rate Carrillo but fairness to him, a few times he gets the ball up top and no one is near him. Worth passing to to build an attack.

watching redmond wide left is a joke. I hope sims is not pushed out there

MP is a disgraceful manager.

Boufal and Tadic in the same team doesn't seem to work. Gabi on his own up front hasn't worked. With all due respect, apart from Sims you seem to be selecting guys/positions that have failed this season

Maybe, but Gabbiadini hasn't often had the benefit of two "proper" wingers or a 10 who can track his runs or run directly to create space before crossing or passing. It's struck me that Tadic has seen Boufal as his rival for a spot in the team and often he almost seems to ignore Boufal or take an option not involving SB. I think Boufal is a better 10 than Tadic; Tadic perhaps the better wide player left although Boufal's partnership with Bertrand this season has often been superb.

For some reason , Chez seems to be on a one man mission to try to convince e everyone else that MP is actually not too bad a manager. Quite bizarre, presumably just because of a lucky late draw at a Burnley side who haven't won in 11 games.

MP's game plan is pretty obvious...he only ever tries to attack when we are losing a game he desperately needs something from. WBA in the league, early goal behind so had to change his gameplan, likewise yesterday. Had the game yesterday stayed 0-0 for longer , we'd have likely conceded later and ended up losing 1-0. He will NEVER set us up to attack from the start, he's ****ing Clueless. He played for a 0-0 yesterday which says it all

For some reason , Chez seems to be on a one man mission to try to convince e everyone else that MP is actually not too bad a manager. Quite bizarre, presumably just because of a lucky late draw at a Burnley side who haven't won in 11 games.

MP's game plan is pretty obvious...he only ever tries to attack when we are losing a game he desperately needs something from. WBA in the league, early goal behind so had to change his gameplan, likewise yesterday. Had the game yesterday stayed 0-0 for longer , we'd have likely conceded later and ended up losing 1-0. He will NEVER set us up to attack from the start, he's ****ing Clueless. He played for a 0-0 yesterday which says it all

I like to have a go at defending the indefensible every now and then. Football and posting on here is meant to be fun.

By the way You will find that I haven't attacked MP all season. I don't think he has the tools to work with. Puel proved that.

I also think that fans suggesting he played for a 0-0 are disingenuous. He tried to win, but maybe went about it in the wrong way.

Edited by Chez

I like to have a go at defending the indefensible every now and then.

I also think that fans suggesting he played for a 0-0 are ****ign clueless. He tried to win, but maybe went about it in the wrong way.

What would you suggest he did for the guest 67 mins then? If he wasn't content with 0-0?

I have said from day one that we has a class striker in Gabbi and for the life of me i cannot understand what our duck wit manager has been doing not playing to his strengths. The way he took his goal yesterdays showed what we have been missing.

We have been missing that attacking edge to our game for months because we have lacked pace in our attacking build ups. Hey presto and duck wit puts Sims on who completely changes things, not only as a genuine goal threat but also as a provider for others.

We have come to the point in our season when Mopo has to go for it now and develop a backbone.

We have to attack Stoke from the start next week and have players that will cause their defence problems...Sims has to start for me as well as Gabbi.

I really like Prowsey but he is too lightweight for the game against Stoke.

C'mon MOPO show some bloody guts and set up an attacking side....Stoke are there for the taking!

What would you suggest he did for the guest 67 mins then? If he wasn't content with 0-0?

I'd suggest he put a team out to control the game, create chances and try and win the game. It's up to the players once they enter the field of play. Dyche didn't change it either in the first 67 minutes and he had two strikers on the bench. Was he playing for a 0-0 too?

I'd suggest he put a team out to control the game, create chances and try and win the game. It's up to the players once they enter the field of play. Dyche didn't change it either in the first 67 minutes and he had two strikers on the bench. Was he playing for a 0-0 too?
the voice of reason in a desert of wilderness. I don't rate MP but we as fans need to stop picking at the manager and certain players and get behind the team until the season ends.

It is pretty clear that the manager is here to stay and the board think he is good enough to keep us up.

Its all well and good asking to attack Stoke at all costs but what if they nick a goal, they will defend for their lives. We have to be patient not be gung ho. If they play Crouch up top we are in for a tough time.

yeah I see Gabbi more of a centre forward, second/support striker, a false 9 rather than a full on striker.

What that comes across as and I'm not sure if I'm right, bar the lucky goal, Dyche is to Burnley pretty much what Puel was to us last season?

Here's my thoughts. We looked so much better when Sims and Gabbi came on and we attacked Burnley. However that requires a switch to 4-4-2 rather than 4-2-3-1. Do we play that because it's the Southampton Way? All the teams from the youth teams onwards all play the same system, presumably under Reed's direction, so that players are supposed to move on seamlessly up the ranks. Does this link in with Puel getting the sack because he wanted to change the system?

I suppose what my ramblings are trying to question is would MoPe play a different formation (eg 4-4-2) if he had a free hand, or is being instructed that he has to play 4-2-3-1 from the board to maintain the Southampton Way despite we haven't had the players to play that way for that last 18 months?

Thanks for a balanced view. I was at the game and agree with most if that.

Burnley aren't good, but they are solid and stubborn. Early on they kept grinding out wins by the odd goal and better teams that us gave found them awkward. In our situation we're all desperate for wins but a point isn't as disastrous as some are making out.

But I agree that, once again, there were some strange managerial decisions. Why no Hojbjerg? He's definitely better than Romeu at the moment.

Sims introduction was too late and I still don't like seeing Boufal and Redmond on the pitch together. But recruiting the ref as a blocker for the equaliser was genius.

Really hope that goal will spark Gabbiadini back into life. With Sims providing service for the next games.

You were there, I wasn't so I have to respect that but what worried me listening to Sky (I know) was our apparent lack of urgency or passion. It is that what worries me most and why I think MP must go even at this ridiculously late stage.

What that comes across as and I'm not sure if I'm right, bar the lucky goal, Dyche is to Burnley pretty much what Puel was to us last season?

Here's my thoughts. We looked so much better when Sims and Gabbi came on and we attacked Burnley. However that requires a switch to 4-4-2 rather than 4-2-3-1. Do we play that because it's the Southampton Way? All the teams from the youth teams onwards all play the same system, presumably under Reed's direction, so that players are supposed to move on seamlessly up the ranks. Does this link in with Puel getting the sack because he wanted to change the system?

I suppose what my ramblings are trying to question is would MoPe play a different formation (eg 4-4-2) if he had a free hand, or is being instructed that he has to play 4-2-3-1 from the board to maintain the Southampton Way despite we haven't had the players to play that way for that last 18 months?

What’s everyone’s obsession with 4-4-2 it’s like everyone has got Merringtonittis. Our issue isn’t not playing 2 up front it’s zero goals and support from the 3 behind the 1. Tadic, Redmond, Boufal, Davo & JWP goal scoring record is woeful & their chances created are just as bad. They also rarely get behind the 1 & break from midfield. It worked yesterday because we had nothing to lose and were getting men into the box, you can get just as many men into the box with a 4-2-3-1 as was proved when we played similar systems under previous managers. If we play a 4-4-2 with these players and this manager, we will lose control of the ball, get out numbered in the centre of midfield and will leave our top 2 isolated up front. One change could be Gabbi in the 10, but I’m not sure how he’d do in that system, another way could be a diamond in midfield, although the forum experts derided that last season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You were there, I wasn't so I have to respect that but what worried me listening to Sky (I know) was our apparent lack of urgency or passion. It is that what worries me most and why I think MP must go even at this ridiculously late stage.
I can agree with that, but I think there was an element of Burnley harrying and pressuring us and stopping us building up any urgency. I would have rather seen Sims or Boufal from the start rather than Redmond. JWP plays a role, but doesn't impose a grip on the game. Redmond wasn't awful, but he (and Tadic) frequently did something good, only to then lose the ball or turn back and lose impetus.

To be a real threat we need the FBs getting forward and also runners in the box, and that wasn't really happening.

In all fairness you should have mentioned that McCarthy handled outside the box but maybe that wasn’t shown on MOTD ?

I am overseas so didn’t see the highlights!

It was show on MOTD. It’s not obvious that his hands were touching the ball outside the box so you can’t say for certain that he definitely handled the ball. To me it appeared that he drew his hands away at the last moment.

Anyway, so what? If he had actually handled the ball it would only have been a free kick and a yellow card. Not worth getting upset over.

Not a chance Puel or MP are forced to play a system from above. Not. A. Chance. Pretty much all Managers/coaches are responsible these days is for training, selection, formation and tactics, plus a/final say on transfers.

I can agree with that, but I think there was an element of Burnley harrying and pressuring us and stopping us building up any urgency. I would have rather seen Sims or Boufal from the start rather than Redmond. JWP plays a role, but doesn't impose a grip on the game. Redmond wasn't awful, but he (and Tadic) frequently did something good, only to then lose the ball or turn back and lose impetus.

To be a real threat we need the FBs getting forward and also runners in the box, and that wasn't really happening.

Burnley gave us no time at all, especially in the first half. Cork did what Cork always has done, got a foot in, got the ball back and given it to someone better. In the second they gave us more room, but we didn't do enough with it.

Ive been moaning about how slow JWP is for about five years now. Pace isn't everything, but offensively without it a wide role is tough. Defensively he simply just doesn't get anywhere near an opponent...ever. He's like the opposite of Cork. He never ever gets a foot in, turn the ball over or put them under pressure.

Edited by Chez

What’s everyone’s obsession with 4-4-2 it’s like everyone has got Merringtonittis. Our issue isn’t not playing 2 up front it’s zero goals and support from the 3 behind the 1. Tadic, Redmond, Boufal, Davo & JWP goal scoring record is woeful & their chances created are just as bad. They also rarely get behind the 1 & break from midfield. It worked yesterday because we had nothing to lose and were getting men into the box, you can get just as many men into the box with a 4-2-3-1 as was proved when we played similar systems under previous managers. If we play a 4-4-2 with these players and this manager, we will lose control of the ball, get out numbered in the centre of midfield and will leave our top 2 isolated up front. One change could be Gabbi in the 10, but I’m not sure how he’d do in that system, another way could be a diamond in midfield, although the forum experts derided that last season.

100% this.

I like to have a go at defending the indefensible every now and then. Football and posting on here is meant to be fun.

By the way You will find that I haven't attacked MP all season. I don't think he has the tools to work with. Puel proved that.

I also think that fans suggesting he played for a 0-0 are disingenuous. He tried to win, but maybe went about it in the wrong way.

Absolute rubbish! He most certainly does have the tools to work with, just hasn't a clue what to do with them. This squad should be no where near the bottom three

You may be right about 442. What about 352? Extra aerial presence at the back in Yoshida. E becomes 5 when defending. Gets our fullbacks forward, especially Bertrand who puts in a good cross. Gives the option of two up front. The Carrillo/Gabbiadini link- up for the goal could be a combo.

I have been battling with the windows 10 black screen of death all day.... any ideas welcomed.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Delete it, take the disc back to where u got it from, get a full refund, complain its the most rubbish windows ever seen, worse than windows ME then install windows 7 and laugh at how amazing it works :D. done.:thumbup:

Absolute rubbish! He most certainly does have the tools to work with, just hasn't a clue what to do with them. This squad should be no where near the bottom three

It’s not rubbish at all. The manager has been too cautious and I think also he has failed to get the most from the team but if you cannot see deficiencies in that team then you are myopic beyond belief. We have singularly failed to replace quality sold with the same level of quality.

There's no obsession with 4-4-2. I live out of the area so I don't listen to Dave Merrington's gems of tactical nous.

But you admit that the players we have can't / won't / are unable to get and support a one up striker. So if after 18 months of that, and being that we can't change any of the players until the end of the season, the question is what does the manager do about it? One option would be play a second striker, and whilst I've only seen the MOTD highlights, it seemed to have an effect yesterday when Sims came on wide right with Gabbi & Carrillo up front.

4-4-1-1 might be an option, but I don't think we've got the players to make that system work. Would you expect Gabbi to play as the support striker and track back into midfield to win ball? That's not going to happen. At least if you know Gabbi & Carrillo are up front, the midfield 4 can be organised and know what they need to do, and that's whether you play as a flat 4 or a diamond.

Final thing, I certainly wouldn't go 4-4-2 against any of the top teams. Against those, we need to win as much ball in midfield as possible. But against Stoke at home next week when we need to win?

Given that Sims had been called over to the bench and was getting ready before they scored, you're just plain wrong there.

Absolute rubbish!
In your opinion. Puel couldn't get a tune out of them and our form at the end of last season was very much relegation form. Average keeper, little competition at full back (which is an issue when the first choice are performing as Cedric isnt), lightweight centre backs, very very average attacking midfielders and not a great striker amongst them. MP hasn't got the best out of them, no doubt about that, but world beaters they aint.

I thought it was a decent result yesterday and I can't fault MP on this occasion. We have not done very well up there recently. Why was Sims wearing fancy gloves in the sunshine?

after a crushing defeat against Liverpool its good see that we have shown the necessary fight to come back after going behind against WBA and Burnley. I still think relegation looks ominous because we haven't picked up the points we need against the poorer teams and have so many good teams to play in the run in.

I watched about last 10 of 1st half and all of the 2nd. We were awful pretty much till we scored.Sims made a big impact when he came on.

We really need to get rid of MP now not at the end of the season. Our saving grace this season will be that the bottom 10 sides are very poor,and there are at least 3 sides still worse than us.

I watched about last 10 of 1st half and all of the 2nd. We were awful pretty much till we scored.Sims made a big impact when he came on.

We really need to get rid of MP now not at the end of the season. Our saving grace this season will be that the bottom 10 sides are very poor,and there are at least 3 sides still worse than us.

Squad-wise yes, manager-wise no.

Well, your dictionary is in the right 'zone' with its definition but it is confused and not definitive, to put it kindly - or 'wrong' to put it accurately.

It talks about the 3 teams with 'the lowest number of points' but. of course, there are 5 teams with the lowest number of points in the Premier League at present of which we are one.

It then says 'if they stay in one of THOSE positions' not having previously referred to any 'positions'.

But I agree it seems the relegation zone is generally taken as the last 3 places in the table. Why didn't the dictionary simply say that?

It has totally ignored the possibility of teams tying on points - very sloppy, and surprising for a dictionary trying to associate itself with Cambridge University.

Well, your dictionary is in the right 'zone' with its definition but it is confused and not definitive, to put it kindly - or 'wrong' to put it accurately.

It talks about the 3 teams with 'the lowest number of points' but. of course, there are 5 teams with the lowest number of points in the Premier League at present of which we are one.

It then says 'if they stay in one of THOSE positions' not having previously referred to any 'positions'.

But I agree it seems the relegation zone is generally taken as the last 3 places in the table. Why didn't the dictionary simply say that?

It has totally ignored the possibility of teams tying on points - very sloppy, and surprising for a dictionary trying to associate itself with Cambridge University.

Ya weirdo.

In your opinion. Puel couldn't get a tune out of them and our form at the end of last season was very much relegation form. Average keeper, little competition at full back (which is an issue when the first choice are performing as Cedric isnt), lightweight centre backs, very very average attacking midfielders and not a great striker amongst them. MP hasn't got the best out of them, no doubt about that, but world beaters they aint.

Average keeper???? Terrible keeper lol with more issues than we will ever know about.

Puel was and is a terrible manager, did you see how bad Leicester were yesterday against Stoke? Sadly, his replacement is 100 times worse, just how he hasn't been sacked is beyond me. But we do have the players. Are you telling me you would rather have the squads of Swansea, West Brom, Stoke, Palace, Huddersfield, Brighton, Newcastle etc?? All fans of those clubs would love to have most of our players.

The manager is the problem. End of.

So sad that we worked so hard to get back into the Prem only to throw it away in such a pathetic manner

I was glad with the point in the end, and thought MoPo did a reasonable job of turning it round.

It's amazing how many tactical geniuses are on this forum.

Why on earth aren't you putting your excellent coaching and management skills to use?

Also, why can't anybody accept that players are inconsistent - even the best players in the world have meh games!

Long, JWP, Tadic, Lemina, Gabbi, Romeu, Bertrand, Cedric, Boufal, Hoedt, Hoj - all of them have had fantastic games this season, and also had pretty crap performances.

Once you accept that fact, it's obvious that only somebody who talks to them and watches them every day in training can judge who is best to play.

Even then, a player can be fantastic in training and then have a stinker on match day.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but until the season's over I'm going to keep supporting the team and believing we can win every game.

Average keeper???? Terrible keeper lol with more issues than we will ever know about.

Puel was and is a terrible manager, did you see how bad Leicester were yesterday against Stoke? Sadly, his replacement is 100 times worse, just how he hasn't been sacked is beyond me. But we do have the players. Are you telling me you would rather have the squads of Swansea, West Brom, Stoke, Palace, Huddersfield, Brighton, Newcastle etc?? All fans of those clubs would love to have most of our players.

The manager is the problem. End of.

So sad that we worked so hard to get back into the Prem only to throw it away in such a pathetic manner

Of course they would :lol: and if they did its because they haven't watched them play enough.

Anyone who doesn't realise that, with the exception of Bertrand and Lemina, our squad is ****ing average is deluded.