Stoke Build Up

ALWAYS_SFC

Tried the Premier League Table Calculator and have us staying up on 37 pts. (13th) with WBA, Brighton and Swansea getting relegated and that was with us drawing tomorrow. A bit of fun. Try it..

I had us down on 29, WBA 31 and Brighton 34. Huddersfield finished 10th. Hmmmmm

The problem always lies with ‘everybody else’, doesn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As always ;)

When these conditions used to be a regular occurrence then ‘everybody’ would have had experience of driving in them. The trouble now is that there is a whole generation who think they can go flying around as though nothing had changed. It only takes one person to abandon their car in the wrong place and we all suffer.

I was stuck on the A31 for 12 hours last night. I wouldn't travel west to east or vice versa for this game if I were you.

Any kindly soul on here able to offer advice on the A34 today/projection for tomorrow?

That said getting out of our village involves driving on an ice rink of compressed snow.

As always ;)

When these conditions used to be a regular occurrence then ‘everybody’ would have had experience of driving in them. The trouble now is that there is a whole generation who think they can go flying around as though nothing had changed. It only takes one person to abandon their car in the wrong place and we all suffer.

Problem always lie with the next generation, doesn't it ;)

Any kindly soul on here able to offer advice on the A34 today/projection for tomorrow?

That said getting out of our village involves driving on an ice rink of compressed snow.

From what I can see all roads are moving freely at the moment but a lot depends on what comes down later, if anything.

The road I live on in Southampton is impossible to drive down, snow ankle deep , major routes A34 had fatality yesterday and army were called in to help people stranded on A31 last night just outside of Southampton, if there's more snow today I wouldn't be surprised if it's called off, would imagine Stoke squad are due to travel down this afternoon.

As of 05.48 this morning the A31 was moving again (Hants Constabulary), and the temperature is rising.

Ankle deep isn't 'deep' and unless you're on a significant slope shouldn't prevent vehicle access. It's such variable cover though - there's snow on parts of my cul-de-sac in E Hants and not at the end towards the through road. I've got FWD and snow tyres on so should be OK, but as Whitey says, it's being blocked by others that's the problem. Drivers with powerful RWD cars putting on too much power at once seems a favourite.

Whilst road conditions aren't great right now, temperatures are forecast to be between 2 and 6 degrees from midnight tonight and up until the game. So, 12+ hours of above freezing temperatures should be enough for trouble free travel tomorrow I would venture.

If the game is called off it will be because the club hasn’t done enough to make sure it takes place. As Trousers has pointed out there is a thaw due and most roads should be driveable by noon tomorrow. I feel for those who have to come a long distance from the West but I guess you have to put a limit on how far away you take things into consideration. There’s been no snow this morning and the temperature is above freezing because the icicles are melting.

From what I can see all roads are moving freely at the moment but a lot depends on what comes down later, if anything.

Thanks

Decision on whether the match will be on to be announced at 5pm according to OS

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-03-02/southampton-stoke-city-match-update-weather

Article says an update at 5pm,rather than definitely announcing the decision. Hope there is a decision, although if there is a definite one it will likely to be called off, alternatively I expect the "update"will be to tell us the time of the pitch inspection tomorrow (11am about the time we might be leaving).

I expect the decision is likely to be based on advice from the Police rather than just the pitch inspection.

Thanks

Article says an update at 5pm,rather than definitely announcing the decision. Hope there is a decision, although if there is a definite one it will likely to be called off, alternatively I expect the "update"will be to tell us the time of the pitch inspection tomorrow (11am about the time we might be leaving).

I expect the decision is likely to be based on advice from the Police rather than just the pitch inspection.

It won’t be the pitch, it will be the surrounding areas.

If the game is called off it will be because the club hasn’t done enough to make sure it takes place. As Trousers has pointed out there is a thaw due and most roads should be driveable by noon tomorrow. I feel for those who have to come a long distance from the West but I guess you have to put a limit on how far away you take things into consideration. There’s been no snow this morning and the temperature is above freezing because the icicles are melting.

It will be the authorities not the club that will call it off. But feel free to blame big bad Les and Ralph

We won't get 37 pts, my own advanced algorithm has predicted 36 and we need 36.6 to stay up. 3 of those must come tomorrow.

Th issue about the game tomorrow will be public safety not the state of the pitch. The police may decide that it may be best not to encourage 15000 cars onto local roads especially as the Army had to rescue hundreds of people from the A31 at the top of the New Forest last night. There is also the small matter of slips and falls and the extra potential burden of emergency services having to come in and resuscitate old folk with broken limbs.

Of course they could also play behind locked doors and seeing as it's Stoke visiting that might not be such a bad idea.

We won't get 37 pts, my own advanced algorithm has predicted 36 and we need 36.6 to stay up. 3 of those must come tomorrow.

I'm puzzled how you've worked that out. :?

Of course they could also play behind locked doors and seeing as it's Stoke visiting that might not be such a bad idea.

Can you provide an example of that ever happening in English professional football?

Th issue about the game tomorrow will be public safety not the state of the pitch. The police may decide that it may be best not to encourage 15000 cars onto local roads especially as the Army had to rescue hundreds of people from the A31 at the top of the New Forest last night. There is also the small matter of slips and falls and the extra potential burden of emergency services having to come in and resuscitate old folk with broken limbs.

When was that match up at Newcastle that was called off not long before kickoff because the surrounding roads were deemed unsafe Andrew Saints supporters had managed to get there without falling over?

well it’s just started snowing again in Bournemouth

The club are responsible for the highways and byways of Southampton now? Fu ck me.

The club are responsible for the highways and byways of Southampton now? Fu ck me.

Sadly this forum is full of people who seem to take great pleasure out of bashing the club they supposedly support.

Anyway I live a 15 minute walk from St Marys and it's snowing pretty heavily again. Most of the roads round here are quite slushy but passable with care. Touch and go whether it will go ahead.

Anyway I live a 15 minute walk from St Marys and it's snowing pretty heavily again. Most of the roads round here are quite slushy but passable with care. Touch and go whether it will go ahead.

Cheers, keep us updated. Temperatures are on the rise and with this cloud there won't be an overnight re-freezing which is where issues arise.

I would have thought they will err on the side of caution, unless they're so broke they can't afford the refunds/slipping further into the relegation quagmire (or slushpool). If I was coming from Stoke I'd be keen to know now to be honest but expect them to can it at 5pm

As always ;)

That seems quite plausible actually. The number of people I walked past who didn't seem to understand that more revs =/= more speed on slush and ice was worryingly high and I bet none of them had (possibly even heard of) snow tyres. That and everyone had to go out in their car because probably made it worse, etc, etc. People seem to no longer have an idea of what to do and can only carry on as thoughtlessly as they always have. Watching people filming the snow was irritating too: they were all old enough to have seen it many times before. I'm with the grandad on this one.

I would think it's likely to be called off as access will be deemed 'unsafe'.

No but they are responsible for the forecourt etc around the ground, the crucial area where the Arsenal ground staff worked so hard on prior to last night’s game going ahead. That’s my point.

I think I'm correct in saying that the winter 62/63, it snowed on Boxing Day and then we were driving around for three months with snow and ice. Football was postponed on a weekly basis.
Absolutely correct.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

When was that match up at Newcastle that was called off not long before kickoff because the surrounding roads were deemed unsafe Andrew Saints supporters had managed to get there without falling over?

February 2001. Cancelled about 90 mins before KO, pitch fine but areas around stadium not so. Finished my pizza and pint then went home. Rescheduled fixture was a Monday(poss Tuesday) night in May. Ended 1-1 super Marian with the late equaliser!

@saintsfccop: "Safe journey to @stokecity fans and @Police_SCFC travelling down to #SaintsFC . The club have been working hard today around the stadium and the forecast is looking good for tomorrow's match"

Looks like the game will be on.

That does look positive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk