Coldest you've ever been at a Saints game

JackanorySFC

Sheffield united at home the season we went into administration. Or maybe the football made seem worse than it was. Leeds away in 2009/10 season was pretty bad too. Barnsley away when we came from 2 down was pretty cold, though it was rainy as well.

Edited by shurlock

Leeds away in first season in League One was pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

That would get my vote. Last Saturday before Christmas. Driving back up to Edinburgh up the A1 in driving snow after the game, and found out they closed the road about 10 minutes after I went through. All I can remember was the wind was blowing straight into the corner where the away fans sat in those days. 5 layers and still baltic.

Jay Bothroyd was the big thing in L1 those days, but he was awful that day. I think SKD saved at least 3 one on one's with him. Threw his toys out of his pram when he got subbed, sadly Snodgrass came on and curled one into the top corner for the only goal of the game.

That would get my vote. Last Saturday before Christmas. Driving back up to Edinburgh up the A1 in driving snow after the game, and found out they closed the road about 10 minutes after I went through. All I can remember was the wind was blowing straight into the corner where the away fans sat in those days. 5 layers and still baltic.

Jay Bothroyd was the big thing in L1 those days, but he was awful that day. I think SKD saved at least 3 one on one's with him. Threw his toys out of his pram when he got subbed, sadly Snodgrass came on and curled one into the top corner for the only goal of the game.

Think you're thinking of Jermaine Beckford.

Reading away in 2008 when we got one of the most unexpected wins ever through 2 BWP goals was pretty nippy.

The winner for me has to be Leeds away just before Xmas in 2009. Snograss with a belter in an otherwise awful game. I think officially it was -7C.

I was going to say that Reading away game.

I also remember one at Man City in the FA Cup a season or two before that, that was pretty cold as well.

Leeds away, December 2009 and Birmingham away, February 2012.

Both utterly bitter, but at least I could get out of Leeds ok, the A45 was backed up on the way out of Brum making what should have been a 30m trip back to my then home in Coventry take 3 hours.

Norwich away in Dec 2005. Sat at the front of the away end in the snow & froze (til we noticed the rest of our away support had migrated to the back of the stand where it was marginally warmer).

It was freezing cold, the football was cr*p and we lost 3-1. Only plus point was having a beer & a chat with Jimmy Case after the match - he'd commentated on the game and was staying in the same hotel as us.

Edited by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

Norwich away in Dec 2005. Sat at the front of the away end in the snow & froze (til we noticed the rest of our away support had migrated to the back of the stand where it was marginally warmer).

It was freezing cold, the football was cr*p and we lost 3-1. Only plus point was having a beer & a chat with Jimmy Case after the match - he'd commentated on the game and was staying in the same hotel as us.

Here's our side from that day. And we thought our defence now was bad...

Southampton: Niemi, Cranie, Kenton, Powell, Higginbotham, Belmadi (Ormerod 67), Prutton, Oakley, McCann, Walcott (Best 55), Jones (Fuller 54).

Subs Not Used: Smith, Kosowski.

Sheffield united at home the season we went into administration. Or maybe the football made seem worse than it was. Leeds away in 2009/10 season was pretty bad too. Barnsley away when we came from 2 down was pretty cold, though it was rainy as well.

Yeah that Sheffield United game was horrific, I remmber losing the sensation in my nose after that!

Another one which sticks in my mind was a mid-week game in December against Wycombe...thankfully we won 1-0 which got us out of the L1 bottom 4, but there wasn't much to keep me warm!

Reading away, Elm Park 1996(ish). Can't believe the game went ahead actually! Terrace behind the goal was ****ing baltic that night.

Birmingham away a few years with the snow also freezing but nothing will compare to that evening in Reading for me :scared:

I was there! Unbelievably cold. Frozen pitch as well. Different times, would never have gone ahead these days. Didnt we lose as well?

Without doubt Preston away in the Championship. It was on a Monday night, live on TV and only a couple of hundred of us there. It wasn’t so much the low temperature, but the wind chill that made it horrendous. We got stuffed 3-0 as well. I also remember regularly freezing my tits off in winter at the Dell as I used to wait at the turnstiles until they opened 2 hours before kick off so I could get straight in and bag my usual spot in the upper Milton. Spending 2 hours in the ****ing rain or freezing cold takes me back that’s for sure.

Reading away, Elm Park 1996(ish). Can't believe the game went ahead actually! Terrace behind the goal was ****ing baltic that night.

Birmingham away a few years with the snow also freezing but nothing will compare to that evening in Reading for me :scared:

That Elm park game was in 1997 and that has to be the coldest for me too. Never seen a pitch as unfit as that to play on. An ice rink would have been easier to play on. I recall two Saints fans having a right good punch up in the away end, probably just to prevent the onset of frostbite. The terrace was lethal, effectively you spent two hours standing on ice blocks. If I recall correctly Saints had two men sent off and Souness tried to take Graham Poll's head off after the game after we were knocked out of the cup, going down 3-1.

Sheffield united at home the season we went into administration. Or maybe the football made seem worse than it was.

that night got even cold when bloody Jamie ward scored. We woz proper robbed. Photo from earlier in the day:

snow4.jpg

That Elm park game was in 1997 and that has to be the coldest for me too. Never seen a pitch as unfit as that to play on. An ice rink would have been easier to play on. I recall two Saints fans having a right good punch up in the away end, probably just to prevent the onset of frostbite. The terrace was lethal, effectively you spent two hours standing on ice blocks. If I recall correctly Saints had two men sent off and Souness tried to take Graham Poll's head off after the game after we were knocked out of the cup, going down 3-1.

Always has to be away games up north, The Bradford QF was a cold day with a bitter wind; Leeds away LCSF was snowy but warmed up by the game and their fans,,,,

Sheff Utd away in 1979/80 was freezing only just allowed to play, really raw always made worse by the chill of a bundle or a home goal...

We had a friendly against Bayern Munich one January night at SMS not long after we moved there. Can't remember the year. Think we got knocked out of the fa cup in the third round and the game was arranged for, I think, the Ted Bates trophy. Not sure though. Just remember being ******* freezing and didn't hang around for the trophy sharing.

PEDANT ALERT!

We didn't play there between 1st October 1977 and 2nd Feb 1991.

I'm thinking he meant Feb 1991 because I was there and yes, it was like sitting in a f'kin fridge. I remember the weather changed dramatically once we hit the snowy midlands and by the time we reached Sheffield it was freezing fog and amazed it was still on. Rinsed 4-1 or something.

I'd also agree about the evening game at St Mary's with Sheff Utd a few years back, my old knees have never really recovered.

Away - I’ll also go for Reading in the relegation/admin season, which was also our best performance of the season (think that was colder than the souness fa cup “go at it 90%” one, but I may have just had a better coat).

Home - the 3 0 home defeat to Sheffield Wednesday in mid eighties is the one that sticks in the mind.

Leeds away, December 2009 and Birmingham away, February 2012.

Both utterly bitter, but at least I could get out of Leeds ok, the A45 was backed up on the way out of Brum making what should have been a 30m trip back to my then home in Coventry take 3 hours.

I pulled a huge handbrake turn on the A45 that night at the junction where you can go to Coleshill and where we were staying in Balsall Common for the Spring Fair at the NEC, there was nothing on the road, huge expanse of tarmac and a company car just had to be done. That took us pretty much 3hrs too.

still not as cold as that Sheffield Utd game, as the game wore on you could see the frost forming on the pitch, still I had a lump of mash of the day from down the road keeping me warm.