Coldest you've ever been at a Saints game

JackanorySFC

First home game of Alan Ball's reign when we thrashed Liverpool on the Monday night game. Snowed all day meaning that the trains were all late so I missed the first goal by MLT.
Yep I'd go with that too, bloody freezing, but Matt warmed the soul with a great hat trick. First game I took my two sons to as well.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Away at Brentford, a midweek game in January 2010. Lloyd James got an early goal, Kelvin Davis saved a penalty, Lee Bernard missed a chance to put us further ahead and they got the equaliser late on. Numbingly cold, snow piled up just away from the touch lines and I couldn’t get back to the hotel quickly enough.

I was at that one! Utterly frozen. Had freebie tickets from my Nephew's school Fayre, went with him, his sister and my sister-i-l. The girls haven't been to a game since and my nephew now supports Man Utd.

That Elm park game was in 1997 and that has to be the coldest for me too. Never seen a pitch as unfit as that to play on. An ice rink would have been easier to play on. I recall two Saints fans having a right good punch up in the away end, probably just to prevent the onset of frostbite. The terrace was lethal, effectively you spent two hours standing on ice blocks. If I recall correctly Saints had two men sent off and Souness tried to take Graham Poll's head off after the game after we were knocked out of the cup, going down 3-1.

When I saw the thread title, the first game that came to my mind was that Reading game and that was before I even read the first post (or some of the subsequent ones). I seem to remember the pitch turned from green to white during the 90 mins, but from frost forming not snow!

However, my recollection was that game was League Cup 4th round game in Nov 1995 and not the 1997 game... but I could be wrong.

When I saw the thread title, the first game that came to my mind was that Reading game and that was before I even read the first post (or some of the subsequent ones). I seem to remember the pitch turned from green to white during the 90 mins, but from frost forming not snow!

However, my recollection was that game was League Cup 4th round game in Nov 1995 and not the 1997 game... but I could be wrong.

Both were cold but the FAC game under Souness was cold, cold, cold!

That Elm park game was in 1997 and that has to be the coldest for me too. Never seen a pitch as unfit as that to play on. An ice rink would have been easier to play on. I recall two Saints fans having a right good punch up in the away end, probably just to prevent the onset of frostbite. The terrace was lethal, effectively you spent two hours standing on ice blocks. If I recall correctly Saints had two men sent off and Souness tried to take Graham Poll's head off after the game after we were knocked out of the cup, going down 3-1.

I was there and have never been so cold. I think that was the game where Franny broke his arm, but stayed on and continued to take throw-ins!

Leeds away, December 2009 and Birmingham away, February 2012.

Both utterly bitter, but at least I could get out of Leeds ok, the A45 was backed up on the way out of Brum making what should have been a 30m trip back to my then home in Coventry take 3 hours.

Those both up there but also Wimbledon away in fa cup in 1979 was another, Saints fans set fire to rubbish in bonfires on the terraces to keep us warm

Sheffield united at home the season we went into administration. Or maybe the football made seem worse than it was. Leeds away in 2009/10 season was pretty bad too. Barnsley away when we came from 2 down was pretty cold, though it was rainy as well.

I remember the Sheffield Utd game as a cold one. Can’t remember anything at all about the game but remember walking past frozen burst water mains on the way to and from the game.

Did anyone else go to Colchester in League 1, I think it was in Pardew's season?

Everyone was calling for the ref to call of the match, partly because of the thick fog and freezing weather but mostly because we were 2-0 down.

Didn't we score a consolation in the final min to make it 2-1 or something? If we're thinking of the same one.

Not quite a Saints game... but the coldest I have ever been was watching the England U21's play Ireland at St Mary's. Bizarrely remember Milner standing out.

Coldest I've been at a saints game was Poch's first game in charge. So not that cold :o

Didn't we score a consolation in the final min to make it 2-1 or something? If we're thinking of the same one.

Yeah - we had a penalty (if I remember rightly our end, we were sat directly behind the goal) and you could hardly see the edge of the box (that could have been due to the beer though!).

As others have said, Leeds was a cold one.

Reading away, Elm Park 1996(ish). Can't believe the game went ahead actually! Terrace behind the goal was ****ing baltic that night.

Birmingham away a few years with the snow also freezing but nothing will compare to that evening in Reading for me :scared:

That was my first ever Saints game, the 3-1 defeat to Reading with Souness storming in the pitch at the final whistle after two sendings off. (Slater and Benali?) I remember wrapping up well but I was so pleased to finally see my team live, I don't remember the cold.

The coldest I remember is the Norwich game in the JPT, we drew 2-2 last minute and won on penalties, the year we won it.

No doubt in my mind, Arsenal away on Boxing Day 1970.

Never in my life have a I felt so cold.

And just as a reminder to modern Premier League players, take a look at this.

And take particular note of John McGrath's shorts. And he even had his sleeves pulled up FFS...!!!

Edited by The Saint

That was my first ever Saints game, the 3-1 defeat to Reading with Souness storming in the pitch at the final whistle after two sendings off. (Slater and Benali?) I remember wrapping up well but I was so pleased to finally see my team live, I don't remember the cold.

The coldest I remember is the Norwich game in the JPT, we drew 2-2 last minute and won on penalties, the year we won it.

I vaguely remember the JPT Norwich game.

Didnt we equalise late on before pens?

I think I was hovering near the exit to leave when we equalised then, after a quick cup of Bovril, I went back to see the finale despite cold feet and hands!!

Forest away Dec 89. The away end was like standing in a wind tunnel with someone spraying water over you. Think we lost 2-0 and conceded in the first couple of minutes but the real battle was surviving the cold.

Came down with something after this and took me a couple of weeks to get over it.

Those both up there but also Wimbledon away in fa cup in 1979 was another, Saints fans set fire to rubbish in bonfires on the terraces to keep us warm

I was at that Wimbledon game, it was cold that night. Remember it well the fences at the back of the terraces being taken down by Saints fans and bloody great bonfires being lit on the terraces to keep warm:):) That was until the old bill tried to put them out, to be fair they had got to quite a size by then!

Bucharest wasnt so much cold as wet, certainly not as cold as many of the games mentioned here!

Brentford away in league 1. Sat with my feet in a two inch deep puddle with the water gradually freezing during the game. Not only was it the coldest but it felt like the longest. We were dire, couldnt break them down. Eventually we got a goal, I briefly thought it was all worthwhile, but Brentford equalised at the death.

No doubt in my mind, Arsenal away on Boxing Day 1970.

Never in my life have a I felt so cold.

And just as a reminder to modern Premier League players, take a look at this.

And take particular note of John McGrath's shorts. And he even had his sleeves pulled up FFS...!!!

I second that. Sub-zero temperatures, a blanket of snow on the pitch, ice on the terraces and a blizzard blowing. Even in those days, it seemed incredible that the match went ahead and wasn't abandoned after it started. After the 1970s, a match certainly wouldn't have gone ahead in those conditions. For those of us who made the trip it was worth it though. An unlikely scoreless draw away to the Arsenal team that did the double that season was some achievement and still remains one of my most memorable away games. It was probably the most one-sided draw ever. Arsenal seemed to have about 30 shots at our goal, hit the wooodwork, had a goal disallowed and Eric Martin played the game of his life, while I can hardly recall Saints crossing the halfway line: it was real backs-to-the wall stuff. The fighting spirit and true grit we had in those days made the 1970/71 team one of my all-time favourite Saints teams. That was the team Bill Shankley labelled 'Alehouse'. Everybody hated playing against us, especially Arsenal that day.

I second that. Sub-zero temperatures, a blanket of snow on the pitch, ice on the terraces and a blizzard blowing. Even in those days, it seemed incredible that the match went ahead and wasn't abandoned after it started. After the 1970s, a match certainly wouldn't have gone ahead in those conditions. For those of us who made the trip it was worth it though. An unlikely scoreless draw away to the Arsenal team that did the double that season was some achievement and still remains one of my most memorable away games. It was probably the most one-sided draw ever. Arsenal seemed to have about 30 shots at our goal, hit the wooodwork, had a goal disallowed and Eric Martin played the game of his life, while I can hardly recall Saints crossing the halfway line: it was real backs-to-the wall stuff. The fighting spirit and true grit we had in those days made the 1970/71 team one of my all-time favourite Saints teams. That was the team Bill Shankley labelled 'Alehouse'. Everybody hated playing against us, especially Arsenal that day.

If you watch the You Tube of that game Eric Martin wasn't wearing gloves think the commentator even mentions. those were the days that even in a modern house you would warm up a penny to put on the window to make a spy hole in the ice on the inside of the glass!

Any game at Oldham.

In 1977 there were about 100 saints fans and most were right down the front, against the wall, getting what shelter they could from the elements.Had to keep asking plod to move along, so as we could see the game.

This. I went to the league cup game in Oldham in the late 1980s. Cold, wet, windy, most exposed terrace I have ever stood on.

The Elm park game in the cup that should never have been played was probably the coldest.

After that the Leeds away in the late 90s/early 00's, can't remember the exact year but it was Carlton Palmers first game back there, was a midweek and we only took about 300. Don't even remember the score to be fair, just remember it being freezing f*cking cold, a large section of the Leeds fans making monkey noises at Carlton Palmer and some of their scrotes chucking rocks at us on the way back to the car (which wouldn't start as it was too f*cking cold).

Also remember Highfield Road being bloody freezing on the time i went there, but mainly because the away end acted like one massive wind tunnel

Maybe not the coldest but a 0-0 at Birmingham then a 4 hour drive home through horrendous snow sticks in my mind. I was pretty lucky to make it back, slid all over the road trying to get out of Brum then followed a lorry at about 30mph along the M40 for miles and miles. There were plenty of cars stuck on the motorway and I only just made it up one hill by the skin of my teeth or I would have been sleeping in the car as well.

Wasn't until about Oxford that the amount of snow eased enough to make me feel confident I would get home and when I did eventually make it there was barely any snow on the ground.

If it's -4C, snowing and blowing a blizzard on Saturday, Stoke will still find it positively balmy compared with their normal home conditions.

Worried that they'll feel too much at home.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That's alright, we're better as the away team anyway.

Forest away Dec 89. The away end was like standing in a wind tunnel with someone spraying water over you. Think we lost 2-0 and conceded in the first couple of minutes but the real battle was surviving the cold.

Came down with something after this and took me a couple of weeks to get over it.

That must be the one I was at. Awful performance, freezing cold.

I stood by the big vents from the hospitality in the main stand some of the time.couldn't see the game from there.

, but it wasnt worth watching .

West Brom away, relegation season ("Prutton, you clown!"). I remember it being bollok achingly cold, with people's feet flat out not working when it was time to leave

Yes that gets my vote. Absolutely perishing and people chucking snow balls smashing the poor old guy’s greenhouse on the way out of the away end