Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Relegation - The Run In...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Would bite your hand off for that right now. A slight gamble yes, but 4 more points from those 3 fixtures isn't bad and given Huddersfield's games and Swansea and West ham being rubbish, we'd have a fair chance of survival with that.
    Probably finish 17th!

if these 3 results happen we secure 17th place before the last Sunday match and our City game won't matter

Southampton Draws at Everton
    Swansea loses against Bournemouth

Southampton Wins at Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by SaintTex View Post
    if these 3 results happen we secure 17th place before the last Sunday match and our City game won't matter

Think again

4. Default Relegation - The Run In...

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
    Think again
    We’d be 3 points above them, with at least 9 goal better difference. Bearing a 9 goal swing, we’d be safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SaintTex View Post

While you are almost right, actually it would still be (just) within the bounds of possibility that Swansea could still finish above us - though it would require Swansea to probably only lose by one goal in their two defeats (especially the one against us) and then for us to lose very heavily against Man City (e.g. 6-0) and Swansea to thrash Stoke (say 4-0). Nevertheless the odds of that happening would be slim enough for me to be very happy to find us going into the last game following that set of results.

You also have to remember that if

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJackoInHurworth View Post
    While you are almost right, actually it would still be (just) within the bounds of possibility that Swansea could still finish above us - though it would require Swansea to probably only lose by one goal in their two defeats (especially the one against us) and then for us to lose very heavily against Man City (e.g. 6-0) and Swansea to thrash Stoke (say 4-0). Nevertheless the odds of that happening would be slim enough for me to be very happy to find us going into the last game following that set of results.

You also have to remember that if
    Holy **** omg what do we have to remember? I need to know! ��

Massive result yesterday but it’s still going to be tough. 4 points should hopefully be enough but one good thing is that we play Everton at 5.30pm so should have a better idea if a point is any good or not at kick-off.

The City game is a right-off so we need 4 points from our next two on the road so it’s a big ask.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Massive result yesterday but it’s still going to be tough. 4 points should hopefully be enough but one good thing is that we play Everton at 5.30pm so should have a better idea if a point is any good or not at kick-off.

The City game is a right-off so we need 4 points from our next two on the road so it’s a big ask.
    Do you mean write off pal?

I'd always want to play first and put pressure on others. Makes it that much harder if we know we have to beat Everton.

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanRG View Post
    I'd always want to play first and put pressure on others. Makes it that much harder if we know we have to beat Everton.
    True. Can work the other way though, if they all mess up then it should give our lot a boost.

Wow! What an incredible weekend for Saints, bar the Palace result everything else fell into place perfectly for us.

We needed 9 points from 4 games, now we need 6 points from 3.

I will be very interested to see how Sparky sets out his team against Everton. Privately he may be happy to just take a point seeing as they are doing so well and then go all out against Swansea. That would give us 36 points and a nervy last day against City...so many possibilities though!

The nightmare scenario is that we need to avoid a tonking on the last day (say a 7 goal gd swing or something) and end up duly getting tonked by City.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    The nightmare scenario is that we need to avoid a tonking on the last day (say a 7 goal gd swing or something) and end up duly getting tonked by City.
    Depends how big the tonking would have to be. I think we could as Puel to come back and help us park the bus.

The bottom 9 have won just five games between them over their last five fixtures, which includes 2 for WBA and obviously ours yesterday.

Hughes should ban the players from all media during the afternoon - tell them we HAVE to beat Everton cos of results elsewhere.
    If the players think results are going our way, they might just show a bit of complacency, which would be bad.

BBC used to have a results prediction page where you put down what you think and it gives you the final league table.
    Anyone know where it is as I want to really see if we have a chance only only getting 3 more points?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    BBC used to have a results prediction page where you put down what you think and it gives you the final league table.
    Anyone know where it is as I want to really see if we have a chance only only getting 3 more points?
    Not sure they do it anymore

There's one here

http://www.worldfootball.net/table_c...remier-league/

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    Not sure they do it anymore

There's one here

http://www.worldfootball.net/table_c...remier-league/
    Cool but it don’t let me do the Swansea Saints game.

19. Default

Huddersfield play on the Sunday.

20. Default

Cool but it don’t let me do the Swansea Saints game.
    You have to click on the week 31 fixtures to get that one.

Yep, 4 pts in our next two put us up over Swansea for sure. However we may just need 3, I think its actually probable that Hud lose out and end up on 35.

22. Default

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    Yep, 4 pts in our next two put us up over Swansea for sure. However we may just need 3, I think its actually probable that Hud lose out and end up on 35.
    Those scenarios still leave us sweating on the last day that Huddy don’t beat Arse and Swansea don’t beat Stoke. Mind you, I’d bite your arm off to be in that position right now.

Yep, 4 pts in our next two put us up over Swansea for sure.
    As long as three of those points come from beating Swansea. Oh and Swansea must lose to Bournemouth next week.

I think its actually probable that Hud lose out and end up on 35.
    Hud or Swansea getting any points in the next 2 games put us in a world of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by ashnats View Post
    Holy **** omg what do we have to remember? I need to know! ��
    Haha! You have to remember to delete the sentence you started writing before you decided to structure what you are writing differently!!

I was looking for this myself earlier and have been looking out for it for a few weeks, but it doesn't look like they are doing it this year. They usually do it with about five games to go.

As I haven't seen it I have been creating my own predictions by doing all the calculations myself and then displaying it all using a table which I can create at http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbco...generator.aspx Sometimes I also paste the text into Word and use Find and Replace to change td] to th]

Here then is my attempt at predicting the results and final table based on Saints drawing all three of their remaining games and getting three more points:

Saints v. Stoke v. Swansea v. Huddersfield v. West Ham v. Brighton v.
    Everton (A) 2-2 Palace (H) 1-1 Bournemouth (A) 1-2 Man City (A) 0-3 Leicester (A) 1-2 Man Utd (H) 1-2
    Swansea (A) 1-1 Saints (H) 1-1 Chelsea (A) 0-2 Man Utd (H) 1-2 Man City (A) 0-3
    Man City (H) 2-2 Swansea (A) 1-2 Stoke (H) 2-1 Arsenal (H) 1-2 Everton (H) 2-1 Liverpool (A) 0-2
    5-5

3 pts
    2-3

1 pt
    4-4

4 pts
    1-7

0 pts
    4-5

3 pts
    1-7

0 pts
    TOTAL 35 pts 31 pts 37 pts 35 pts 38 pts 37 pts

Final Positions for teams currently in Bottom 7 places (NB Teams in 13th/14th may actually finish above teams in higher places & I am predicting West Brom to lose both their remaining games 2-1):

Team P W D L F A Pts
    West Ham 38 9 11 18 47 72 38
    Brighton 38 8 13 17 33 54 37
    Swansea 38 9 10 19 31 56 37
    Saints 38 6 17 15 40 59 35
    Huddersfield 38 9 8 21 28 63 35
    Stoke 38 6 13 19 34 68 31
    West Brom 38 5 13 20 32 58 28

In other words, to answer your question, yes it is possible to stay up with just three more points!

3 wins from 3 (extremely unlikely I know, just hypothetical) and 41 points could see us finish 11th. 11th! That is INSANE bearing how **** poor our season has been. That just shows the utter guff everyone has been in the bottom half of the table this season.

If you offered me 4 points from the last 3, I'd take it, because I think that would be enough to overhaul Huddersfield. (Assuming they get a plucky draw from their remaining fixtures.) However, I also don't think Brighton will pick up another point, so 5 points for us would see us overhaul them on goal difference.

Until this weekend I've thought relegation was a cert, but Hughes has changed things for the better and we have a glimmer of hope, even at this late stage in the season. I still think relegation is more likely than survival, but the players know what they have to do to stay up, and results of other teams seem to be going our way. An unlikely win (or plucky draw) at Everton next week would make for an exciting final week. (Annoying to think had we beaten Stoke, Newcastle or West Ham in recent weeks we'd be well clear of all this. ****ing Pellegrino.)

Haha! You have to remember to delete the sentence you started writing before you decided to structure what you are writing differently!!

I was looking for this myself earlier and have been looking out for it for a few weeks, but it doesn't look like they are doing it this year. They usually do it with about five games to go.

As I haven't seen it I have been creating my own predictions by doing all the calculations myself and then displaying it all using a table which I can create at http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbco...generator.aspx Sometimes I also paste the text into Word and use Find and Replace to change td] to th]

Here then is my attempt at predicting the results and final table based on Saints drawing all three of their remaining games and getting three more points:

Saints v. Stoke v. Swansea v. Huddersfield v. West Ham v. Brighton v.
    Everton (A) 2-2 Palace (H) 1-1 Bournemouth (A) 1-2 Man City (A) 0-3 Leicester (A) 1-2 Man Utd (H) 1-2
    Swansea (A) 1-1 Saints (H) 1-1 Chelsea (A) 0-2 Man Utd (H) 1-2 Man City (A) 0-3
    Man City (H) 2-2 Swansea (A) 1-2 Stoke (H) 2-1 Arsenal (H) 1-2 Everton (H) 2-1 Liverpool (A) 0-2
    5-5

3 pts
    2-3

1 pt
    4-4

4 pts
    1-7

0 pts
    4-5

3 pts
    1-7

0 pts
    TOTAL 35 pts 31 pts 37 pts 35 pts 38 pts 37 pts

Final Positions for teams currently in Bottom 7 places (NB Teams in 13th/14th may actually finish above teams in higher places & I am predicting West Brom to lose both their remaining games 2-1):

Team P W D L F A Pts
    West Ham 38 9 11 18 47 72 38
    Brighton 38 8 13 17 33 54 37
    Swansea 38 9 10 19 31 56 37
    Saints 38 6 17 15 40 59 35
    Huddersfield 38 9 8 21 28 63 35
    Stoke 38 6 13 19 34 68 31
    West Brom 38 5 13 20 32 58 28

In other words, to answer your question, yes it is possible to stay up with just three more points!
    I can see stoke winning both of those games !

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    I can’t. I think they’ll get 1 more point against Swansea

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Bull View Post
    I can’t. I think they’ll get 1 more point against Swansea
    I can definitely see Stoke sneaking a win against Palace, could make it interesting as they’d go to Swansea last game still with something to play for.
    As great as it was to win on Saturday I think it’s to late for us, Huddersfield will get something home to Arsenal last game, we really need Bournemouth to do us a favour against Swansea on Saturday and we are going to need to win at Swansea I think.

There does seen to be a prevailing feeling of having done enough with that win on Saturday. Hughes needs to sit them all down, get a reality check, and realise we have to get a win and a draw at the very least from the next two. We need to go balls out for the win at Everton because I think that will be the easiest of the three. Swansea will be really up for it, an City are too good. We can do it but not if we go for a draw at Everton. Too much pressure mounting for the last games, and we won't get lucky too many times.

One win will do it for sure. A draw or defeat at Everton doesn't really help us anyway, so I hope we go for it. The Swansea game will be crucial whatever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    thats ok as you would therefore take three points away from Swansea to leave them on 34 !

Well well well, we've given ourselves a fighting chance. Palace now safe which was hardly surprising given Zaha's timely return and their fixture run in. It is GAME ON!!!

13 BRIGHTON - P35, GD-15, 37 points
    May 4 - Manchester United (H)
    May 9 - Manchester City (A)
    May 13 - Liverpool (A)

15 WEST HAM - P35, GD-24, 35 points
    May 5 - Leicester (A)
    May 10 - Manchester United (H)
    May 13 - Everton (H)

16 HUDDERSFIELD - P35, GD-29, 35 points
    May 5 - Manchester City (A)
    May 09 - Chelsea (A)
    May 13 - Arsenal (H)

17 SWANSEA - P35, GD -25, 33 points
    May 5 - Bournemouth (A)
    May 8 - Southampton (H)
    May 13 - Stoke City (H)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18 SOUTHAMPTON - P35, GD-19, 32 points
    May 5 - Everton (A)
    May 8 - Swansea City (A)
    May 13 - Manchester City (H)

19 STOKE - P36, GD-33, 30 points
    May 5 - Crystal Palace (H)
    May 13 - Swansea City (A)

20 WEST BROM - P36, GD-24, 28 points
    May 5 - Spurs (H)
    May 13 - Crystal Palace (A)

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    There does seen to be a prevailing feeling of having done enough with that win on Saturday. Hughes needs to sit them all down, get a reality check, and realise we have to get a win and a draw at the very least from the next two. We need to go balls out for the win at Everton because I think that will be the easiest of the three. Swansea will be really up for it, an City are too good. We can do it but not if we go for a draw at Everton. Too much pressure mounting for the last games, and we won't get lucky too many times.
    Yeah I know what you mean. After the Chelsea game I felt we were about 90% down as I didn't see a way back after that capitulation, after this weekend's results I'd say we are still 65%-70% likely to get relegated.

That sounds really harsh but the reality is we are very reliant on the other teams failing and us picking up the points. It's certainly a lot more doable than it was, but still a monumental effort.

Beat Everton and I would put survival at 50/50. Beat both Swansea and Everton and we will have 38 points and should be safe...

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Uwe View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean. After the Chelsea game I felt we were about 90% down as I didn't see a way back after that capitulation, after this weekend's results I'd say we are still 65%-70% likely to get relegated.

That sounds really harsh but the reality is we are very reliant on the other teams failing and us picking up the points. It's certainly a lot more doable than it was, but still a monumental effort.

Beat Everton and I would put survival at 50/50. Beat both Swansea and Everton and we will have 38 points and should be safe...
    I'd say beat them both and we'd be 95% sure of playing Prem football next time. Can't rely on having to get something from the City game.

It's unlikely but the bottom 10 could look like this going into the last day, a right royal rumble:

Palace 38
    Southampton 38
    Bournemouth 38
    Watford 38
    Brighton 37
    Swansea 36
    West Ham 35
    Huddersfield 35
    Stoke 33
    West Brom 31

It's unlikely but the bottom 10 could look like this going into the last day, a right royal rumble:

Palace 38
    Southampton 38
    Bournemouth 38
    Watford 38
    Brighton 37
    Swansea 36
    West Ham 35
    Huddersfield 35
    Stoke 33
    West Brom 31
    i really hope Huddersfield get nothing more, but fancy them at home to Arsenal on the last day, even if it is Arsene's last for them. And we get 6 points? Wow

i really hope Huddersfield get nothing more, but fancy them at home to Arsenal on the last day, even if it is Arsene's last for them. And we get 6 points? Wow
    Agree, you can't trust Arsenal away from home. I think we need to be at least a point above Huddersfield going into the last game to stand a decent chance of staying up. I would take them needing to beat Arsenal but if they only have to scrape a draw then we're in the poo.

Agree, you can't trust Arsenal away from home. I think we need to be at least a point above Huddersfield going into the last game to stand a decent chance of staying up. I would take them needing to beat Arsenal but if they only have to scrape a draw then we're in the poo.
    Agreed. Anything less than three points from the next two games and we are in big trouble. Get four points and we can enjoy the City game. Still think we are more likely to go down than survive - maybe 60:40. But beat either of Everton or Swansea (big if) and we should be OK.

It's the hope that gets you.

39. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    One win will do it for sure. A draw or defeat at Everton doesn't really help us anyway, so I hope we go for it.
    Course a draw helps us. Obviously a win is better, but to say a draw doesn’t really help is nonsense. Everton’s recent form is good, a draw up there will be a pretty decent result bearing in mind Huddersfield’s fixtures. If we go for it with our defence, I dread to think what’ll happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Uwe View Post

That sounds about right. We need to go into the last game ideally knowing that a narrow defeat will keep us up.

41. Default

I agree with that. I don't want to see us playing for a draw, like we did vs Leicester. If we go into the Swansea game level on points or behind them, the pressure is on us. If we can get 3 points vs Everton, and assuming Swansea don't win their game against Bournemouth, we go to Swansea 2 points ahead of them. Then the pressure is all on them. They looked poor against Chelsea, yes, but they will be targeting the game with us as a 'must win'. Go for the win against Everton, there's more to win than to lose. It would set us up for the Swansea game.

Well we're obviously not going to go all out for a win at Everton are we....we'll probably try and keep it tight in the first hour, and then push on depending on how the game is going.

A draw would be a decent result up there.

Blog Entries

There is actually a chance that Everton could send Moyes down

Quote Originally Posted by Saint86 View Post
    There is actually a chance that Everton could send Moyes down
    And in doing so, Fat Sam sends West Ham down.

I'd love to see it.

Trouble is, we will only get 1 from an away draw at Swansea....and then we will all be thinking about that crazy 8 mins in the Chelsea game...to name but one cock up

It is possible for Saints to stay up with
    only 2 more points...

Swansea lose to Bournemouth
    Swansea draw with Saints
    Swansea lose to Stoke

Saints draw with Everton
    Saints draw with Swansea
    Saints lose to Man City

Stoke lose to Palace
    Stoke beat Swansea

West Brom fail to beat both Spurs and Palace

Which would see Saints stay up, bar a big swing in goal difference...

17th Saints 34 points
    18th Swansea 34 points
    19th Stoke 33 points
    Last edited by Matthew Le God; 30-04-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Default Relegation - The Run In...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    It is possible for Saints to stay up with only 1 more point...

Swansea lose to Bournemouth
    Swansea draw with Saints
    Swansea lose to Stoke

Saints lose to Everton
    Saints draw with Swansea
    Saints lose to Man City

Stoke lose to Palace
    Stoke beat Swansea

Which would see Saints stay up on goal difference, unless there is a big swing...

17th Saints 33 points
    18th Swansea 33 points
    19th Stoke 33 points
    Aren’t we a point behind Swansea, and need 1 more point than them to draw level?

Quote Originally Posted by colehillsaint View Post
    Aren’t we a point behind Swansea, and need 1 more point than them to draw level?
    I meant 2 more points.

It is possible for us to stay up on 34 points, with a draw vs Everton & Swansea and defeat vs Man City.
    Last edited by Matthew Le God; 30-04-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    I meant 2 more points
    thats the problem - nothing from Everton and city ...and a squeaky bum draw at Swansea

On reflection after sat, we are still going down

There I said it