Relegation - The Run In...

Saint Garrett

Will update this as we go along...might be a bit too early, but why not...our run in certainly looks pretty horrible.

You'd think Brighton have enough about them to get enough points from those games left, despite some tough games against the big few.

Unless we have a bit of a turn around in performances & results, I don't see how we're going to get ourselves out of this...!

16 HUDDERSFIELD - P36, GD-29, 36 points

May 09 - Chelsea (A)

May 13 - Arsenal (H)

17 SOUTHAMPTON - P36, GD-19, 33 points

May 8 - Swansea City (A)

May 13 - Manchester City (H)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18 SWANSEA - P36, GD -26, 33 points

May 8 - Southampton (H)

May 13 - Stoke City (H)

20 WEST BROM - P37, GD-23, 31 points

May 13 - Crystal Palace (A)

20 STOKE - P37, GD-33, 30 points

May 13 - Swansea City (A)

Edited by Saint Garrett

Monumental game tomorrow.

You say our run is horrible, but Brighton, West Ham, Huddersfield, Newcastle and Stoke have got to play the top 6 more often than we do. Brighton's run in particular is tough but they are obviously 4 points ahead so in a better starting position

Arsenal & Chelsea feature prominently in the run ins,several clubs including us, play both. Only WBA face neither.

Problem being that both can blow hot and cold, so bit of a lottery as to which one turns up for your particular fixture, and what stage the Wenger - Conte internal wranglings have reached at that time.

You could probably add Everton & Allardyce into that category as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/01/premier-league-relegation-who-survive-drop-championship?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Three of five have us down here. One of them makes the point that Man City could be on the beach or otherwise focused on Champions League by the time we play them. Also, Stoke v Swansea on the final day looks like a big one. With a lot more fight and determination from the players and a bit of luck we won’t be going into the final day needing points. We can then recruit a decent manager without delay and improve the squad.

fft_pl_final_10_games.png?itok=yOySjPEO

Thought this was quite a good image. Doesn't look to bad for us with 3 top-6 matches (no-one has less in the bottom 10). We play less matches against the bottom teams then several others but I'm not sure that is necessarily a problem at this stage of the season. Teams like Everton and Leicester don'y have a whole lot to play for.

WHU look quite interesting, if they don't pick up some points this month they'll have one hell of a run in.

Games remaining:

Stoke

Newcastle

Swansea

West Ham

Arsenal

Chelsea

Leicester

Bournemouth

Everton

Man City

Of those so far we've beaten Everton and West Ham already. Of the rest we've drawn against Arsenal, Swansea, Bournemouth and Newcastle. Our form is likely to reflect both how we've done this season and how we overall do historically more than it will how **** the other teams are as we are as **** as pretty much anyone. So factoring that in we'll lose at Everton and West Ham as they're both capable of of turning it on and we don't tend to do too well there overall. We might scrape a draw out of one of them if they don't have their shooting boots on. We might draw against Arsenal if they have an off-day and they will have played Stoke before us but it's a Monday night game. I see us going on to lose that. We might still draw against Swansea Bournemouth and Newcastle but we are still liable to mess things up at the back and have no conviction overall in our forward play (unless we start to see more of Sims) so we might get 3 points from those 3. Stoke is hard to predict. Nullify Shaqiri and we'll draw or maybe win. Don't and we won't. I'll go for a draw. We don't do well at Leicester, Chelsea have enough to play badly and beat us and City's under 10s would probably beat us. Let's hope 4 or 5 teams lose all their games from here on in and we scrape through on goal difference.

We aren't playing well enough and our defence is dodgy enough to make those close games losses and we need 12 points to be sure. Austin probably won't be back until after then and he's our biggest hope overall as teams know his scoring record and worry about it.

We’ve got a ****ing mountain to climb now looking at those fixtures. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t win another game this season. We need a couple of wins on the road and to beat Bournemouth - just can’t see it happening.

I reckon we will get a win and three or four draws max, doubt 35 points will be enough.

We’ve got a ****ing mountain to climb now looking at those fixtures. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t win another game this season. We need a couple of wins on the road and to beat Bournemouth - just can’t see it happening.

I reckon we will get a win and three or four draws max, doubt 35 points will be enough.

One win in 16 games (against West Brom) tends to suggest us getting one win in our renaming games will be tough.

I cannot for the life of me see how we have persevered with this idiot.

Stoke are the second worse team in the league and the team who has conceded the most goals but we couldnt beat them in two games against them.

IMO we are actually the second worse team in the league yet our idiot players (sims did it yesterday) all spout out that we are "too good to go down".

The whole club is in denial...deluded the whole lot of them.

We’re not capable of grinding out wins. Won’t beat Chelsea, City, Arsenal or Everton. Draws against Newcastle, Ham, Leicester, Swans and Bournemouth won’t be enough.

Pratagrino needs to set the team up to win every game from here on in, but he won’t. He’ll already have Newcastle and WHU penciled in as good away draws. Not good enough.

I think it’ll be out of (in no order):

West Brom

Stoke

Us

Huddersfield

Palace

Who drops out of those 3 will be down to who is manager at the end of the season (I.e at us and WBA). If MP and Pardew are here for the next 3 games, it’ll be us, WBA and Stoke.

I think it’ll be out of (in no order):

West Brom

Stoke

Us

Huddersfield

Palace

Who drops out of those 3 will be down to who is manager at the end of the season (I.e at us and WBA). If MP and Pardew are here for the next 3 games, it’ll be us, WBA and Stoke.

i agree but would add WHU to that list

I think we are stuffed now. Yesterday was a must win and we didn't win.

Other teams have far kinder fixtures than us, and a few like Brighton have now hauled themselves safe.

The next two are absolutely huge and if we don't win at least one of them then its time up in the PL.

I think the three that will go down are WBA, Stoke and Saints - the three worst teams in the league this season.

The worst thing is that relegation when it happens will have been so utterly avoidable. The club has been absolutely mismanaged on and off the pitch the last 2 seasons. Unforgivable.

Brighton looked absolutely brilliant in the first 20 mins today, had loads of chances and really went for it and found themselves 2-0 up. The complete and utter opposite to Saints. Its a sad day when Brighton are 6 points above us in the league. What the hell has happened to our club???

Who?

fft_pl_final_10_games.png?itok=yOySjPEO

Palace, Hudds and Swansea for certain.

The first games listed on that graphic have now gone and we failed to win our best opportunity.

Some have tougher games in the nezt 1 or 2 but then very appealing games in May.

We have ****ed up so many chances to escape from our position.

It’s home games against anyone outside the top 6 you want and Pellegrino’s ****ed them all up. Away to Newcastle shows up as a nice green blob on that chart but we will do well to get a draw up there, you would take Leicester or Everton at home over that any day.

Our one positive is that we are not too ****e on the road but when you HAVE to get wins on the road in this league the odds are stacked against you.

Will update this as we go along...might be a bit too early, but why not...our run in certainly looks pretty horrible.

Although West Brom are cut adrift, they're still in with a chance due to their games left.

April is a massive month for Palace.

You'd think Brighton have enough about them to get enough points from those games left, despite some tough games against the big few.

Unless we have a bit of a turn around in performances & results, I don't see how we're going to get ourselves out of this...!

Updated original post in this thread...removed Brighton, as they're pretty much safe now I think.

Not looking good after that crap result this weekend. Man Utd have saved us from sitting back in the relegation zone. Palace have some favourable fixtures though with only 2 of the "top 6" to play.

Good, if Swansea are “ pretty much safe” with 30 points, we only need 2 more and we’re pretty much safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, I'd agree with that. Given we have won only 5 games out of 29, if we can win 2 out of 9 (which would be a much higher win rate than for the first 75% of the season), we will probably just make it.

Good, if Swansea are “ pretty much safe” with 30 points, we only need 2 more and we’re pretty much safe.

Unfortunately, for us to amass two points is a very long and drawn out process, as the season up to now has shown. I fear our race is run, time to face the inevitable.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Stoke are looking increasingly likely to go down with West Brom. The way I see it there are five teams that are likely to join them: Us, Palace (due to injuries), West Ham, Hudds or Newcastle. I think Swansea will be fine. Logic tells me out of the five it'll be Hudds to be relegated but I just can't see where we are going to get a win from whereas I can see the other teams picking up a win here or there on their day. My heart says we will win against Newcastle but that defies logic.

People saying we don't have many home games left. Good, we stand a better chance away.

My heart says we will win against Newcastle but that defies logic.

People saying we don't have many home games left. Good, we stand a better chance away.

Why does us winning at Newcastle defy logic. Our away form is pretty good and their home form is poor, they’ve actually gained the same number of home points as us. I’m not saying we’ll win, but it’ll hardly defy logic if we do.

Why does us winning at Newcastle defy logic. Our away form is pretty good and their home form is poor, they’ve actually gained the same number of home points as us. I’m not saying we’ll win, but it’ll hardly defy logic if we do.

I suppose because we have only won 5 games all season - only WBA have won fewer. Logic (good question, by that I mean statistics, form, the approach of the managers, the relationship between the managers etc) tells me this is a banker for a low/no score draw.

Look at those fixtures. Every team there has 3+ winnable home games, except us. We have 1. Bournemouth, who would love to help us down to the Championship. Only beaten the absolute worst sides this season. Hopefully WHU will still be that when we play them. Otherwise where will the wins come from?

I'd be amazed if it doesn't go to the last game of the season to decide it all.

I'm personally pleased we have got the away games to play, the way things have gone this season I just can't see a Dell-like 90s relegation run-in atmosphere being created at St Mary's. If the fans are able to do that, and provided we can get Austin back up and running, maybe we can pick up a win or two out of those last three home matches.

I'm keeping an eye on West Ham, that result at Swansea was diabolical for them and you have to wonder if it will knock their confidence to have been so comprehensively beaten by a relegation rival. Shipping 4 goals two games in a row will definitely have them looking over their shoulders.

I'd be amazed if it doesn't go to the last game of the season to decide it all.

I'm personally pleased we have got the away games to play, the way things have gone this season I just can't see a Dell-like 90s relegation run-in atmosphere being created at St Mary's. If the fans are able to do that, and provided we can get Austin back up and running, maybe we can pick up a win or two out of those last three home matches.

I'm keeping an eye on West Ham, that result at Swansea was diabolical for them and you have to wonder if it will knock their confidence to have been so comprehensively beaten by a relegation rival. Shipping 4 goals two games in a row will definitely have them looking over their shoulders.

Regarding West Ham, they have 4 very winnable looking home games, so it will come down to whether they can get the business done in those to keep themselves up. I’ve got my fingers crossed they lose on Saturday and it’ll be squeaky bum time for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought I would have a go at making some predictions of results and seeing what difference it will make. The results were very depressing...

SWANSEA - P29, GD -17, 30 points

March 10 - Huddersfield Town (A) 1-1

TBC - Southampton (H) 2-1

March 31 - Manchester United (A) 0-2

April 7 - West Bromwich Albion (A) 1-1

April 14 - Everton (H) 2-1

April 21 - Manchester City (A) 0-3

April 28 - Chelsea (H) 1-2

May 5 - Bournemouth (A) 1-2

May 13 - Stoke City (H) 2-1

11 points -> 41 points in total / GD = -21

14 WEST HAM - P29, GD-18, 30 points

March 10 - Burnley (H) 2-1

TBC - Manchester United (H) 1-2

March 31 - Southampton (H) 1-1

April 8 - Chelsea (A) 0-2

April 16 - Stoke (H) 2-0

April 23- Arsenal (A) 1-2

April 29 - Manchester City (H) 0-2

May 5 - Leicester (A) 1-2

May 13 - Everton (H) 2-1

10 points -> 40 points in total / GD = -21

15 HUDDERSFIELD - P29, GD-25, 30 points

March 10 - Swansea City (H) 1-1

March 17 - Crystal Palace (H) 2-1

March 31 - Newcastle United (A) 1-2

April 7 - Brighton (A) 1-2

April 14 - Watford (H) 1-1

April 21 - Chelsea (A) 0-2

April 28 - Everton (H) 1-1

May 5 - Manchester City (A) 0-4

May 13 - Arsenal (H) 1-1

7 points -> 37 points in total /GD = -28

16 NEWCASTLE - P29, GD -13, 29 points

March 10 - Southampton (H) 1-1

TBC - Tottenham Hotspur (A) 0-2

March 31 - Huddersfield Town (H) 2-1

April 7 - Leicester City (A) 1-3

April 15 - Arsenal (H) 1-1

April 21 - Everton (A) 1-3

April 28 - West Bromwich Albion (H) 2-0

May 5 - Watford (A) 1-2

May 13 - Chelsea (H) 1-2

8 points -> 37 points in total / GD = -18

17 SOUTHAMPTON - P29, GD-12, 28 points

March 10 - Newcastle United (A) 1-1

TBC - Swansea City (A) 1-2

March 31 - West Ham United (A) 1-1

April 9 - Arsenal (A) 1-2

April 14 - Chelsea (H) 1-2

April 21 - Leicester City (A) 1-2

April 28 - Bournemouth (H) 2-1

May 5 - Everton (A) 1-2

May 13 - Manchester City (H) 0-2

5 points -> 33 points in total / GD = -18

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

17 CRYSTAL PALACE - P29, GD-19, 27 points

10 - Chelsea (A)

March 17 - Huddersfield Town (A) 1-2

March 31 - Liverpool (H) 1-2

April 7 - Bournemouth (A) 1-2

April 14 - Brighton (H) 2-1

April 21 - Watford (A) 1-2

April 28 - Leicester City (H) 2-1

May 5 - Stoke City (A) 1-1

May 13 - West Bromwich Albion (H) 2-0

10 points -> 37 points in total / GD = -19

19 STOKE - P28, GD-26, 26 points

March 10 - Manchester City (H) 1-3

March 17 - Everton (H) 1-1

March 3 - Arsenal (A) 0-2

April 7 - Tottenham Hotspur (H) 1-2

April 14 - West Ham United (A) 0-2

April 21 - Burnley (H) 2-2

April 28 - Liverpool (A) 0-3

May 5 - Crystal Palace (H) 1-1

May 13 - Swansea City (A) 1-2

3 points -> 29 points in total / GD = -37

20 WEST BROM - P28, GD-20, 20 points

March 3 - Watford (A) 1-2

March 10 - Leicester (H) 2-1

March 17 - Bournemouth (A) 1-2

March 31 - Burnley (H) 1-1

April 7 - Swansea (H) 1-1

April 15 - Man Utd (A) 0-2

April 22 - Liverpool (H) 1-3

April 28 - Newcastle (A) 0-2

May 5 - Spurs (H) 1-3

May 13 - Crystal Palace (A) 0-2

5 points -> 25 points in total / GD = -31

Final Table of these teams

Team.............. Pts ........ GD

Swansea......... 41 ......... -21

W.Ham ........... 40 ......... -21

Newcastle ...... 37 ......... -18

C. Palace ....... 37 ......... -19

Huddersfield .... 37 ......... -28

------------------------------

Saints ............ 33 ......... -18

Stoke ............ 29 ......... -37

West Brom ...... 25 ......... -31

Of course there are fine margins in all of this. If we manage somehow to beat Newcastle this weekend, suddenly this table changes to us on 35 points and Newcastle on 36 points. If they then drop one more point compared to my prediction we could end up staying up above them on goal difference!

What is abundantly clear, however, is that we are facing some very difficult home fixtures so our away form is going to be crucial. Personally, though, I don't think we have a chance... unless by some miracle the board see sense and sack Pellegrino and the manager coming in is able to inspire us to get enough results to see us across the line!

I thought I would have a go at making some predictions of results and seeing what difference it will make. The results were very depressing...

SWANSEA - P29, GD -17, 30 points

March 10 - Huddersfield Town (A) 1-1

TBC - Southampton (H) 2-1

March 31 - Manchester United (A) 0-2

April 7 - West Bromwich Albion (A) 1-1

April 14 - Everton (H) 2-1

April 21 - Manchester City (A) 0-3

April 28 - Chelsea (H) 1-2

May 5 - Bournemouth (A) 1-2

May 13 - Stoke City (H) 2-1

11 points -> 41 points in total / GD = -21

14 WEST HAM - P29, GD-18, 30 points

March 10 - Burnley (H) 2-1

TBC - Manchester United (H) 1-2

March 31 - Southampton (H) 1-1

April 8 - Chelsea (A) 0-2

April 16 - Stoke (H) 2-0

April 23- Arsenal (A) 1-2

April 29 - Manchester City (H) 0-2

May 5 - Leicester (A) 1-2

May 13 - Everton (H) 2-1

10 points -> 40 points in total / GD = -21

15 HUDDERSFIELD - P29, GD-25, 30 points

March 10 - Swansea City (H) 1-1

March 17 - Crystal Palace (H) 2-1

March 31 - Newcastle United (A) 1-2

April 7 - Brighton (A) 1-2

April 14 - Watford (H) 1-1

April 21 - Chelsea (A) 0-2

April 28 - Everton (H) 1-1

May 5 - Manchester City (A) 0-4

May 13 - Arsenal (H) 1-1

7 points -> 37 points in total /GD = -28

16 NEWCASTLE - P29, GD -13, 29 points

March 10 - Southampton (H) 1-1

TBC - Tottenham Hotspur (A) 0-2

March 31 - Huddersfield Town (H) 2-1

April 7 - Leicester City (A) 1-3

April 15 - Arsenal (H) 1-1

April 21 - Everton (A) 1-3

April 28 - West Bromwich Albion (H) 2-0

May 5 - Watford (A) 1-2

May 13 - Chelsea (H) 1-2

8 points -> 37 points in total / GD = -18

17 SOUTHAMPTON - P29, GD-12, 28 points

March 10 - Newcastle United (A) 1-1

TBC - Swansea City (A) 1-2

March 31 - West Ham United (A) 1-1

April 9 - Arsenal (A) 1-2

April 14 - Chelsea (H) 1-2

April 21 - Leicester City (A) 1-2

April 28 - Bournemouth (H) 2-1

May 5 - Everton (A) 1-2

May 13 - Manchester City (H) 0-2

5 points -> 33 points in total / GD = -18

17 CRYSTAL PALACE - P29, GD-19, 27 points

10 - Chelsea (A)

March 17 - Huddersfield Town (A) 1-2

March 31 - Liverpool (H) 1-2

April 7 - Bournemouth (A) 1-2

April 14 - Brighton (H) 2-1

April 21 - Watford (A) 1-2

April 28 - Leicester City (H) 2-1

May 5 - Stoke City (A) 1-1

May 13 - West Bromwich Albion (H) 2-0

10 points -> 37 points in total / GD = -19

19 STOKE - P28, GD-26, 26 points

March 10 - Manchester City (H) 1-3

March 17 - Everton (H) 1-1

March 3 - Arsenal (A) 0-2

April 7 - Tottenham Hotspur (H) 1-2

April 14 - West Ham United (A) 0-2

April 21 - Burnley (H) 2-2

April 28 - Liverpool (A) 0-3

May 5 - Crystal Palace (H) 1-1

May 13 - Swansea City (A) 1-2

3 points -> 29 points in total / GD = -37

20 WEST BROM - P28, GD-20, 20 points

March 3 - Watford (A) 1-2

March 10 - Leicester (H) 2-1

March 17 - Bournemouth (A) 1-2

March 31 - Burnley (H) 1-1

April 7 - Swansea (H) 1-1

April 15 - Man Utd (A) 0-2

April 22 - Liverpool (H) 1-3

April 28 - Newcastle (A) 0-2

May 5 - Spurs (H) 1-3

May 13 - Crystal Palace (A) 0-2

5 points -> 25 points in total / GD = -31

Final Table of these teams

Team.............. Pts ........ GD

Swansea......... 41 ......... -21

W.Ham ........... 40 ......... -21

Newcastle ...... 37 ......... -18

C. Palace ....... 37 ......... -19

Huddersfield .... 37 ......... -28

------------------------------

Saints ............ 33 ......... -18

Stoke ............ 29 ......... -37

West Brom ...... 25 ......... -31

Of course there are fine margins in all of this. If we manage somehow to beat Newcastle this weekend, suddenly this table changes to us on 35 points and Newcastle on 36 points. If they then drop one more point compared to my prediction we could end up staying up above them on goal difference!

What is abundantly clear, however, is that we are facing some very difficult home fixtures so our away form is going to be crucial. Personally, though, I don't think we have a chance... unless by some miracle the board see sense and sack Pellegrino and the manager coming in is able to inspire us to get enough results to see us across the line!

I think what your analysis shows is that the crucial games are Swansea and Newcastle away. I think (hope) you have been pessimistic on saying just one point, but I accept that it is entirely possible you are right. In my opinion we need six or seven points from our three away games at Swansea, Wet Spam and Newcastle. I a man more confident in getting points on the road than I am at St Mary’s

The simple truth is that we need wins, not draws to stay up. But Pelligrino only sets up to draw and if we go ahead then he becomes even more defensive. Three wins from 9 games would be enough, but can we even see 2 wins? Need a lucky win at Newcastle.