Relegation - The Run In...

Saint Garrett

Monumental game tomorrow.

You say our run is horrible, but Brighton, West Ham, Huddersfield, Newcastle and Stoke have got to play the top 6 more often than we do. Brighton's run in particular is tough but they are obviously 4 points ahead so in a better starting position

Isn't 'playing the top 6' a bit of a red herring? Teams fighting for their lives (or in our case running a bit) will be equally hard games, surely?

The run in is all about the managers, tbh. And ours is the worst/least brave or positive - even than Pardew - by some distance. Without changing that I simply can't see where a win will come from. Might have to draw our way to survival - EVERY GAME

The run in is all about the managers, tbh. And ours is the worst/least brave or positive - even than Pardew - by some distance. Without changing that I simply can't see where a win will come from. Might have to draw our way to survival - EVERY GAME

Please NO! :mcinnes:

You get more points from win one, lose one than from two draws. We have to see a W in our sequence soon.

The problem with playing away games against your rivals at this stage is that the game is more of a cup final and the home fans make it more of a hostile fixture. When you get to squeaky bum time you want to be playing at home, even away fixtures against teams with nothing to play for like Everton and Leicester will be tricky as **** because the home side always has that added pressure to win.

To make things worse, our one 'winnable' home game is against our local rivals who would love to send us down.

The problem with playing away games against your rivals at this stage is that the game is more of a cup final and the home fans make it more of a hostile fixture. When you get to squeaky bum time you want to be playing at home, even away fixtures against teams with nothing to play for like Everton and Leicester will be tricky as **** because the home side always has that added pressure to win.

To make things worse, our one 'winnable' home game is against our local rivals who would love to send us down.

The problem with playing home games at the moment is that our fans are far too f*cking soft and soppy so we can't create a hostile atmosphere at St Mary's, like someone on the Ugly said what i wouldn't give for 15k who'd be on the back of the away team all game and getting behind the saints like we had at the Dell.

Instead we get three stands happy to sit in silence whilst we capitulate before they leave early to "beat the traffic".

The problem with playing home games at the moment is that our fans are far too f*cking soft and soppy so we can't create a hostile atmosphere at St Mary's, like someone on the Ugly said what i wouldn't give for 15k who'd be on the back of the away team all game and getting behind the saints like we had at the Dell.

Instead we get three stands happy to sit in silence whilst we capitulate before they leave early to "beat the traffic".

Unfortunately this is spot on.

St Mary's is dead, as are 90% of all PL grounds in fairness, but we do seem to be very much 'a soft family club'. We really can't inspire our players or put other players off.

Careful, you can’t write this. When I contrasted Palace fans Monday with ours Saturday I got accused of blaming the fans for our performances, being a wum, and being wrong because Palace actually lost.

Some on here don’t seem to grasp the fact that the whole home support getting behind the side for 90+ mins may just nick us an extra point, a point that could make all the difference. Of course it may not help, but I’ve yet to see any side play worse because of a vocal hostile home atmosphere. I can’t recall one manager or player asking supporters to pipe down their support because it’s putting them off and making them play worse. So the worst that can happen is no difference,and the best,we play better and maybe pick up an extra point or two. We’ve 2 options, sit there waiting for some scintillating attacking football to up the atmosphere, or try and create some ourselves that may inspire the players a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Careful, you can’t write this. When I contrasted Palace fans Monday with ours Saturday I got accused of blaming the fans for our performances, being a wum, and being wrong because Palace actually lost.

Some on here don’t seem to grasp the fact that the whole home support getting behind the side for 90+ mins may just nick us an extra point, a point that could make all the difference. Of course it may not help, but I’ve yet to see any side play worse because of a vocal hostile home atmosphere. I can’t recall one manager or player asking supporters to pipe down their support because it’s putting them off and making them play worse. So the worst that can happen is no difference,and the best,we play better and maybe pick up an extra point or two. We’ve 2 options, sit there waiting for some scintillating attacking football to up the atmosphere, or try and create some ourselves that may inspire the players a bit.

I can't recall one set of fans scoring a goal...I can recall a useless fcking manager making the wrong subs and tactics in about 20 games meaning we dont have a bloody chance of one.....its always the fans isn't it... funny Palace ultras are getting rave reviews from some and yet at moment are below us!

In my block they do make noise and give it a go when we attack and show a bit of attacking flair..a crowd that have been served up some absolute dross for the last 2 seasons. On Saturday second half when we had a go it was good did we score then?

Oh and The Dell at times it was as silent as a grave...I recall Bolton when we were 0-3 down and was half empty another myth.

We have 3 home games left....thank fck we dont have to endure much more of this clowns rubbish.

Isn't 'playing the top 6' a bit of a red herring? Teams fighting for their lives (or in our case running a bit) will be equally hard games, surely?

If we had a single game, have to win shootout, I'd still much rather play Swansea away than Arsenal away, for example.

St Mary's is dead, as are 90% of all PL grounds in fairness, but we do seem to be very much 'a soft family club'. We really can't inspire our players or put other players off.

I can't recall one set of fans scoring a goal...I can recall a useless fcking manager making the wrong subs and tactics in about 20 games meaning we dont have a bloody chance of one.....its always the fans isn't it... funny Palace ultras are getting rave reviews from some and yet at moment are below us!

In my block they do make noise and give it a go when we attack and show a bit of attacking flair..a crowd that have been served up some absolute dross for the last 2 seasons. On Saturday second half when we had a go it was good did we score then?

Here you go. This is pretty much the response you get when you dare suggest we up our game in regards of atmosphere. Unfortunately we have far to many who turn up at home and sit on their hands waiting to be entertained.

Here you go. This is pretty much the response you get when you dare suggest we up our game in regards of atmosphere. Unfortunately we have far to many who turn up at home and sit on their hands waiting to be entertained.

You bring the drums and black shirts then we are right behind you...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

And the thing is when our fans do show some backbone and go after opposition players (liverpool), the manager (most games) or the board then you get people complaining about them doing it and social media being full of crap about don't boo the team, don't abuse opposition players etc.

Honestly compared to at the Dell when the crowd DID turn around games, Newcastle at home 1-0 down and won 3-1 (amongst others), and the opposition players used to get so much abuse they'd react to the crowd (David James letting in goals because of abuse from the Archers, Viera spitting into the old East stand and many other players not wanting to take corners).

Sometimes i look around St Mary's now and see people with bags of knitting or handing out sweets and cakes from tupperware containers. People seem to want to sit in silence and at best clap along to OWTS (for the 100th time). I'm not even asking people to sing all the time, just make some f*cking noise. At the Dell the older lot would still berate the away team in their own way. Who else remembers the players walking down by the usually respectful west stand and watching players, and sometimes our managers, get verbal from people in their 70s+? Because i sure do (Ian Branfoot springs instantly to mind).

Even in league one and the championship we had more bite than this, and i don't buy into the fact Saints fans are soft, it's just the premier league that does it. One good thing about relegation is that we can clear a bunch of these people out get our soul back as a club again.

Think about who's going to be scared of coming to St Mary's? The away fans have their tickets subsidised to £20, the Itchen North has been given over to day trippers and tourists and the more passionate element threatened with bans for standing. The Northam has more women and children than i can ever remember (yeah i know you're not allowed to say that has an impact on atmosphere but it's true) and also there's this weird new thing where so many lads are now taking their girlfriends to games instead of going with their mates, take all those things into a account and it's hardly a surprise that atmosphere there has waned in the Northam.

The Kingsland/Northam corner still does it every now and again, but they're so far removed from the away fans or pitch it doesn't drown out the first or inspire the later, and the rest of the ground is like a day out for the local librarians groups.

Before people start too i don't expect everyone to stand and sing (and i know the Dell was perfect every game), the older generation have done their time and i'll always respect them for that, but we seem to have lost the natural progressions you had at a ground like the Dell.

Back then you'd start in the family stand or similar, graduate to the Archers/Milton and a few would head over to under the East. As people got older they'd filter out to the West stand or the West/East stand upper and let a new generation of youngsters take their spots.

At St Mary's we have no young groups of lads coming through, and when we did they got banned, targeted by the police and some of our precious supporters on places like this and social media had a go at them.

Then there's the Chapel... The wings being quiet i can understand, but the Chapel? That one baffles me, even after the Milton was made all seater it still made noise when it had to, the Chapel pretty much lives up to it's name most of the time.

And then to add to that we have the weird new obsession with being on your phone (seriously put it away for 90mins, it's really not that f*cking hard) or even weirder kids that hold up signs for away players shirts!?

Anyway, maybe it's all linked to my dismay at modern football, and maybe football just isn't the sport for me anymore and i should leave it to those that want a nice quiet day out like at the tennis (in the past i'd have said cricket, but cricket fans make more noise than top flight football fans these days).

A family near us brought a blanket to put over their legs on Saturday. A month or so ago there were people pretty much having a picnic in our row. Tupperware, snacks, chicken wings they'd cooked at home FFS.

What the hell has happened?

And the thing is when our fans do show some backbone and go after opposition players (liverpool), the manager (most games) or the board then you get people complaining about them doing it and social media being full of crap about don't boo the team, don't abuse opposition players etc.

Honestly compared to at the Dell when the crowd DID turn around games, Newcastle at home 1-0 down and won 3-1 (amongst others), and the opposition players used to get so much abuse they'd react to the crowd (David James letting in goals because of abuse from the Archers, Viera spitting into the old East stand and many other players not wanting to take corners).

Sometimes i look around St Mary's now and see people with bags of knitting or handing out sweets and cakes from tupperware containers. People seem to want to sit in silence and at best clap along to OWTS (for the 100th time). I'm not even asking people to sing all the time, just make some f*cking noise. At the Dell the older lot would still berate the away team in their own way. Who else remembers the players walking down by the usually respectful west stand and watching players, and sometimes our managers, get verbal from people in their 70s+? Because i sure do (Ian Branfoot springs instantly to mind).

Even in league one and the championship we had more bite than this, and i don't buy into the fact Saints fans are soft, it's just the premier league that does it. One good thing about relegation is that we can clear a bunch of these people out get our soul back as a club again.

Think about who's going to be scared of coming to St Mary's? The away fans have their tickets subsidised to £20, the Itchen North has been given over to day trippers and tourists and the more passionate element threatened with bans for standing. The Northam has more women and children than i can ever remember (yeah i know you're not allowed to say that has an impact on atmosphere but it's true) and also there's this weird new thing where so many lads are now taking their girlfriends to games instead of going with their mates, take all those things into a account and it's hardly a surprise that atmosphere there has waned in the Northam.

The Kingsland/Northam corner still does it every now and again, but they're so far removed from the away fans or pitch it doesn't drown out the first or inspire the later, and the rest of the ground is like a day out for the local librarians groups.

Before people start too i don't expect everyone to stand and sing (and i know the Dell was perfect every game), the older generation have done their time and i'll always respect them for that, but we seem to have lost the natural progressions you had at a ground like the Dell.

Back then you'd start in the family stand or similar, graduate to the Archers/Milton and a few would head over to under the East. As people got older they'd filter out to the West stand or the West/East stand upper and let a new generation of youngsters take their spots.

At St Mary's we have no young groups of lads coming through, and when we did they got banned, targeted by the police and some of our precious supporters on places like this and social media had a go at them.

Then there's the Chapel... The wings being quiet i can understand, but the Chapel? That one baffles me, even after the Milton was made all seater it still made noise when it had to, the Chapel pretty much lives up to it's name most of the time.

And then to add to that we have the weird new obsession with being on your phone (seriously put it away for 90mins, it's really not that f*cking hard) or even weirder kids that hold up signs for away players shirts!?

Anyway, maybe it's all linked to my dismay at modern football, and maybe football just isn't the sport for me anymore and i should leave it to those that want a nice quiet day out like at the tennis (in the past i'd have said cricket, but cricket fans make more noise than top flight football fans these days).

Quite. The number of saps who go with their Mrs now is ridiculous. Problem these days is that the late teens/20's are too interested in the latest epiosde of Love Island and spend their time down the gym flexing their small muscles and fake tanning, rather then going down the pub with real friends.

Spurs fans currently so excited they’re singing our song again, shamelessly. Detest them. Anyway, yes, we’re in massive trouble. Yes we should be louder but won’t be. So it might be up to the playing staff to win games. Who knew?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs fans currently so excited they’re singing our song again, shamelessly. Detest them. Anyway, yes, we’re in massive trouble. Yes we should be louder but won’t be. So it might be up to the playing staff to win games. Who knew?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They’re not singing it now...

Agree with all this- saved the typing and took the words right out of my mouth.

I may add a point that we are now in the era of the ‘offended’, where we cannot make any jokes or say anything without offending someone

Why do people put themselves through this? Choose life! I'm probably 12 months ahead of the curve but I jacked in my STs this season and I don't regret it one bit. Saints born and bred, fourth generation, I've put in the hard yards to support us home and away through thick and thin, loads of thin but plenty of good times too. For all the reasons posted elsewhere I just don't see it as a good use of my time/money at the moment. I still follow the club day to day, log in here every day, watch when we are on telly, but I wouldn't spend Sat afternoon watching a stream (I put in a 300 mile round trip last season probably 17 times to watch some utter dross, I think I ended up seeing less than a goal a game).

Last straw for me was the Man City H game last year; got chatting to some PL tourist type fans outside, they had bought tickets on Ticketmaster for £95 ...! Mobile phones, tupperware picnics, kids with signs for oppo shirts, schitt atmosphere, players with zero loyalty, families in leisure wear, tedious corporate branding, complete lack of a sporting contest on the pitch or in the league tables, 14 teams playing not to go down, absent owners.

I now do other stuff with my time and money. I don't need a ST, if Wigan goes to general sale I'll go, if it doesn't I'll pocket my 100 pounds and watch it on telly, if we get to a cup final I'll take my chance on db history or pay what it takes.

Brighton will be happy with those 3 points. One Club we are unlikely to catch. Can't see us getting more than 36 points.

If they don't get any more points from their next few matches their final 5 games are all against top 7 teams. 36 will be fine, they have 34. It'll take a hell of a run but they're not safe yet.

Didn't make any difference with the exact same (lack of) atmosphere two seasons ago when we made Europe.

I'm not even asking people to sing all the time, just make some f*cking noise.

This is it. Just make some noise, any noise. Where has that roar gone from football stadiums? When teams used to attack it seemed the whole ground would roar the side forward. When home teams got a corner the fans would put massive pressure and intimidation on visiting defences (most effective in northern grounds back in the day, the times I witnessed Saints players crumble!). To sit inside St Mary's now at watch us attack, the Chapel in particular, in almost complete silence is baffling. Walk in the park for visiting teams these days.

This is it. Just make some noise, any noise. Where has that roar gone from football stadiums? When teams used to attack it seemed the whole ground would roar the side forward. When home teams got a corner the fans would put massive pressure and intimidation on visiting defences (most effective in northern grounds back in the day, the times I witnessed Saints players crumble!). To sit inside St Mary's now at watch us attack, the Chapel in particular, in almost complete silence is baffling. Walk in the park for visiting teams these days.

Where has that roar gone when we attack?

When you get about 3 good breakaways in a match and then turn it back to sideways, that’s where it went?

Where has that roar gone when we attack?

When you get about 3 good breakaways in a match and then turn it back to sideways, that’s where it went?

True, but the 'roar' disappeared from English ground years ago, attacking the Chapel in silence aint a new thing, even when we used to attack! Ah, memories..........

Some great posts on this thread which sum up how I feel about the whole situation of modern football, perhaps some of us are just at the age now where we remember how good it could be compared to the modern sterile football experience.

It doesn't help that we don't have any games with an 'edge anymore, we were a big game for some teams in league one, we're just irrelevant to most teams in the Prem.

I'm hoping the cup run will invigorate our fans a bit, had good followings at Fulham and WBA with some faces who I haven't seen for a while coming back, expect a similar effort at Wigan (shame early kick off on a Sunday kills it a bit) , but hopefully we'll get a spark to give the crowd a lift for the run in.

I used to stand back of block 5 in the Archers road end and you knew the crowd made a difference in those days. Before that I was in lower east, recall Ian Wright saying he hated playing at the Dell, the crowd always knew how to wind him up.

Despite how dull the Premier league is now I still want to stay up, mainly to plss off the blue few down the road who think we might be in same division next year and I've seen talk amongst Boscombe fans getting giddy at the thought of "relegating scummers" when they come to play us at the end of April, just imagine that ffs.

Meh. I've had some cracking away games in the prem since we got prompted and I'll have some great away days if we go down so I don't think the game is dying. We've had a horrible couple of years but as long as I can have a few beers with my mates and enjoy some good performances in the next few years then we will be OK.

"Sit on their hands waiting to be entertained "

When they sold me the season ticket I kind of assumed we might try and win the odd game.

Les talking about exciting high pressing football.

We have had two seasons of dire football and had to endure incompetent decisions by a board that doesn't think it needs to communicate with the fans or explain anything.

**** em .

It seems counterintuitive but there are studies which appear to show that while playing at home is generally an advantage (obviously so), crowd size and atmosphere are not significant factors. Other studies have shown that a vociferous and aggressive crowd can influence referees. Perhaps this bias will improve with VAR. In the meantime maybe we should be targeting refs.

In any case if there is any marginal benefit in motivating players and refs, and any negative impact (e.g. a tension producing atmosphere like at St Mary’s) in not doing so, we should take it.

A good atmosphere makes for a more enjoyable experience anyway. Sadly it doesn’t suit everyone. There was the women in front of me at the Emirates a few seasons ago who complained, I kid you not, that I was giving her a headache.

Quite. The number of saps who go with their Mrs now is ridiculous. Problem these days is that the late teens/20's are too interested in the latest epiosde of Love Island and spend their time down the gym flexing their small muscles and fake tanning, rather then going down the pub with real friends.

Love it. Same tits that go to the gym in vests and spend more time taking selfies than actually doing anything. #gains #gymtimeagain. #****s I find that dripping a little bit of sweat on them soon moves them on.

The home/away situation has less to do with the fans and more about how teams approach games.

We struggle to break down defensive teams, need more chances to score goals and the manager seems to focus on not getting beaten more than actually winning.

These attributes would suggest playing away is better for us, teams at home will try to beat us more, we'll get more chances, in theory score more and we are the ones frustrating them not the other way round.

So I am not really worried about games away from home, I think we are just as likely to win away as we are at home, it's just we are not winning very much full stop and we are not taking chances to win games.

We desperately need Austin back IMO, if he comes back for the last 5-6 games then I think we will stay up because he will score goals.

Some great posts on this thread which sum up how I feel about the whole situation of modern football, perhaps some of us are just at the age now where we remember how good it could be compared to the modern sterile football experience.

It doesn't help that we don't have any games with an 'edge anymore, we were a big game for some teams in league one, we're just irrelevant to most teams in the Prem.

I'm hoping the cup run will invigorate our fans a bit, had good followings at Fulham and WBA with some faces who I haven't seen for a while coming back, expect a similar effort at Wigan (shame early kick off on a Sunday kills it a bit) , but hopefully we'll get a spark to give the crowd a lift for the run in.

I used to stand back of block 5 in the Archers road end and you knew the crowd made a difference in those days. Before that I was in lower east, recall Ian Wright saying he hated playing at the Dell, the crowd always knew how to wind him up.

Despite how dull the Premier league is now I still want to stay up, mainly to plss off the blue few down the road who think we might be in same division next year and I've seen talk amongst Boscombe fans getting giddy at the thought of "relegating scummers" when they come to play us at the end of April, just imagine that ffs.

To be fair, the Boscombe ground is very noisy and atmospheric. A small tight little ground and Boscombe still see themselves as the little underdogs fighting every match. They are hungry to stay up, like Saints in the 90's.

Saints have become somewhat anaesthetised, maybe explains 'walking to relegation', to coin one of my old phrases.

Updated after the weekend.

West Ham being dragged into it with some difficult fixtures coming. If we can go there and get a win in a few weeks, then will put the pressure on them big time...! We look doomed, but with a new manager coming in, it hopefully will give us a boost. Newcastle looking largely safe now. WBA look doomed.

Getting fed up of this were doomed, it’s too late Shyte.

We are 1point ahead with a better goal difference than most around us. The bottom 3 need to get 2 more points out of their remaining 9 games than we do. They are in the bottom 3 because they aren’t winning games either. Tough call for any of them IMO. Add to the fact we should start performing better with a new manager and I am less worried than most it seems

For what it's worth (not a lot!) I went through the remaining fixtures for Newcastle and below (didn't bother with WBA assuming they will be bottom), gave us 10 points from remaining matches 2 wins and 4 draws. I can see Palace getting out of it with easier run in, Zaha return and if the spirit they showed against MU continues. Conversely I see West Ham having a tricky and hopefully unsuccessful run in (have our match with them down as a draw but could be pivotal if either side wins). My prediction league came out very close with 3 teams finishing on 38 points and only our current superior goal difference keeping us up:

Palace 42

Newcastle 41

Swansea 40

Saints 38

Huddersfield38

Stoke 38

West Ham 37

West Brom Bottom

Arsenal now have 2 fixtures either side of our game on the 9th, I wonder what side they will put out against us ?:-

16/03/18: Quarter-final draw

05/04/18: Quarter-finals, first leg

12/04/18: Quarter-finals, second leg

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2435180.html?rss=2435180+2017/18+Europa+League+match+and+draw+calendar#/

Given the dates involved I wonder if our fixture might be moved, otherwise Arsenal play us on the 9th, and again in EL on Thursday. I presume our Monday fixture is to accommodate tv so that might complicate it.

This is my take on it.

14 Swansea City 37

15 West Ham United 37

16 Stoke City 37

17 Southampton FC 36

18 Crystal Palace 36

19 Huddersfield Town 36

20 West Bromwich Albion 24

I had us drawing a lot of games, including at West Ham, win that and it puts West Ham down and us a bit safer.

West Ham game is massive. Lose that and they are safe I think, leaving the nunber of catchable teams very low.

Hudds have good fixtures for now, then tougher. Palace the reverse.

Ultimately I think Hudds are more likely to drop than Palace, but they do have very winnable games.

Our record against the teams around us is crap this season and I think to stay up we have to beat West Ham and Swansea.

This is my take on it.

14 Swansea City 37

15 West Ham United 37

16 Stoke City 37

17 Southampton FC 36

18 Crystal Palace 36

19 Huddersfield Town 36

20 West Bromwich Albion 24

I had us drawing a lot of games, including at West Ham, win that and it puts West Ham down and us a bit safer.

This is basically what i came out with too, although i'm worried i was too harsh on Huddersfield

This is basically what i came out with too, although i'm worried i was too harsh on Huddersfield

Huddersfield have got Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea as three of their last four games. I would be quite worried if I were them.

Everton's run in is interesting, of their 8 remaining games, 1 is Liverpool, 1 is City and the remaining are all teams in the current bottom 8. They will play a big part as to who goes down, have a bad run against teams fighting for their lives and they could even find themselves in trouble.

There are also some other crunch games at the bottom; Stoke Vs West Ham, Huddersfield Vs Palace, Newcastle Vs Huddersfield and Stoke Vs Palace.

Getting fed up of this were doomed, it’s too late Shyte.

We are 1point ahead with a better goal difference than most around us. The bottom 3 need to get 2 more points out of their remaining 9 games than we do. They are in the bottom 3 because they aren’t winning games either. Tough call for any of them IMO. Add to the fact we should start performing better with a new manager and I am less worried than most it seems

We are doomed, it is too late! Fact!

Arsenal now have 2 fixtures either side of our game on the 9th, I wonder what side they will put out against us ?:-

16/03/18: Quarter-final draw

05/04/18: Quarter-finals, first leg

12/04/18: Quarter-finals, second leg

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2435180.html?rss=2435180+2017/18+Europa+League+match+and+draw+calendar#/

Arsenal now away to CSKA Moscow on the 12th.