Getting to the Game - What's the weather really like...??

Micky

Ok - I live in the West Midlands - me and my boy have tickets for the game tomorrow and I normally drive down, trains are not an option for us.

At the moment, looking at the news it's wall to wall snow - but where I live I have seen nothing at all to keep us off the roads.

So my question is - what are the roads really like?

I normally go:

M54 / M6 toll Telford - Birmingham

M40 Birmingham - Oxford

A34 Bicester - M3 - M27

Anybody know what it's like on any of those routes at the moment - would be grateful for any information - many thanks.

Ok - I live in the West Midlands - me and my boy have tickets for the game tomorrow and I normally drive down, trains are not an option for us.

At the moment, looking at the news it's wall to wall snow - but where I live I have seen nothing at all to keep us off the roads.

So my question is - what are the roads really like?

I normally go:

M54 / M6 toll Telford - Birmingham

M40 Birmingham - Oxford

A34 Bicester - M3 - M27

Anybody know what it's like on any of those routes at the moment - would be grateful for any information - many thanks.

My daughter got a train from Birmingham to Southampton at 6 last night and it got here on time. I reckon by tomorrow with the gradual thaw that has already started in Southampton this morning the major roads should be ok but beware the southbound Avenue is closed and there is a detour from the Chilworth roundabout down past the Crem into Swaythling and Portswood. There are significant delays as a result. Northbound is still open

There's certainly no thaw going on down here, temperatures - after rising a little last night and giving us a bit of freezing rain, are now widely below freezing again. Few more bands of snow working their way up from the South as we speak, it's a little more east than forecast as this was earmarked for Somerset folk.

I live in Chandlers Ford and had to walk up to the newsagents to collect our newspaper. The estate roads still have a couple of inches of untouched snow on them but their had been a partial thaw and refreeze so there was a crunchy crust on top. The local roads - Hursley Road, Hiltingbury Road - are freely passable but with a lot of wet slush around at the edges. I was passed by a tractor with a snow shovel on the front that was clearing the slush and there was also a gritting lorry.

Much depends on the next 24 hours. I would expect a freeze overnight so a lot of ice around in the morning although those roads that have been treated would have had a dry surface.

My niece is driving down from Brum for the match. She was going to leave today and stay with me ,but she has decided to leave tomorrow morning and go back Sunday.

Mainly so we can go on the **** to celebrate my 60th birthday after the game. Hope the South Western isnt to crowded at 5:30ish

They’re ****ing idiots if they make a decision at 5pm. The met office are reporting slow snow melt overnight and temperatures of 6 degrees tomorrow. 10 am tomorrow would be way more sensible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

They’re ****ing idiots if they make a decision at 5pm. The met office are reporting slow snow melt overnight and temperatures of 6 degrees tomorrow. 10 am tomorrow would be way more sensible

Except that some of us have to leave well before 10:00 to get to the game. Including Stoke fans.

They won't leave it until then.

Difficult decision, as it sounds as if everything should be ok, but if it isn't, they get massive criticism.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think it's just an update at 5pm. Agree they need to delay a decision until tomorrow. Sorry if that is a pain to Stoke fans who want to know sooner to make plans, but no-one knows what overnight will bring.

Trust me, the inhabitants of stoke on trent know better than to rely on the weather when making plans.

it would suit you better you mean....yet if you were the one travelling down from Stoke or coming from Devon, Somerset, etc woukd they still be ****ing idiots ?

it would suit you better you mean....yet if you were the one travelling down from Stoke or coming from Devon, Somerset, etc woukd they still be ****ing idiots ?

Well you don’t need to do it too early just cos of that. Tough **** and plan for it to be on like it always has been

Yes.

What are you saying, that it could be clear in Hants, all round the city , yet we have to call the game off because it's snowing somewhere else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so my Dad lives in Stockbridge - so he's got to get to Winchester first and then both us from there to Southampton

the main roads are clear once you get to Winchester and the M3 - but the road between Winchester and Stockbridge isn't great with a couple of steep hills - so if he can't make it through because of the weather can he/we get a refund - that's the question!?

and at 79 if the roads a bit dicey I'd prefer he didn't try and make it.

took my brother-in-law over 5 hours to get home from work yesterday - from right outside St Mary's to Botley.

Yes.

What are you saying, that it could be clear in Hants, all round the city , yet we have to call the game off because it's snowing somewhere else?

No, I think what he’s saying is if you’re coming from said area, it would be better for it to be called tonight, rather than potentially getting here after a 3/4/5 hour trip for it to then be called.

Yes.

im saying the later they leave an announcement the more awkward it is for those who have further to travel.

Now they have said it’s on, and given the weather forecast, people can plan their journeys accordingly unless the weather changes dramatically overnight of course.

Looks like it’s on if saintsfc police Twitter is to be believed. Club Been working hard around the stadium today to make it safe. Duncan will be pleased.

Not just around the stadium that's the issue though is it, it's the whole city and the routes into Southampton from various areas.

Anyone know if trains are running tomorrow?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Not just around the stadium that's the issue though is it, it's the whole city and the routes into Southampton from various areas.

Problems between Basingstoke and Reading, and west of Southampton, but trains from London seem to be ok.

Problems between Basingstoke and Reading, and west of Southampton, but trains from London seem to be ok.

I'm coming from Weymouth. I don't want to risk getting stuck up there in all honesty so might have to give this a miss.

Wow some of you are getting you knickers in a right twist, of course everyone wants to know if it on or off with the most notice.

This is what the club has stated:

Southampton Football Club is anticipating that tomorrow’s Premier League match with Stoke City will proceed as planned.

Make sense and leaves the door open should the weather not play ball.

I would imagine that the club are pretty keen to get the game on, because I would guess Stoke have travelled and if it’s the same in the Premier league as it is in the League then Saints will be picking up their tab for travel and accommodation if the game is called off.

The roads and paths in the vicinity of the stadium will be fine by noon tomorrow

More a case of how public transport is doing for me. No buses running in my village this morning. Trains still seem pretty messed up at the moment. Of course it could all have changed by lunch time tomorrow.

I don't think much thought is given to whether people can get to the game. They just consider the areas around the ground and whether that will be safe.

Unfortunately quite a lot from outside Soton will struggle to get there. Shame as its such a huge match.

I don't think much thought is given to whether people can get to the game. They just consider the areas around the ground and whether that will be safe.

Unfortunately quite a lot from outside Soton will struggle to get there. Shame as its such a huge match.

Expect this to be a crowd well below capacity due to travel concerns for a number of people

I'm coming from Weymouth. I don't want to risk getting stuck up there in all honesty so might have to give this a miss.

They ran trains from Bournemouth to Waterloo today, so can't really believe they won't make Weymouth tomorrow. Although a girl I know who worked at the ticket office in Poole told me that Network rail concentrate on fixing the busiest lines and often that means Bournemouth to Weymouth being neglected . I'm in Poole , so can get to Bournemouth ok, you maybe lucky and they run a reduced service from Weymouth missing out Wool, Wareham Hamworthy, Etc etc. Good luck

It is Friday evening and I have just driven from Gatwick to Chilworth using the M23, M25,with a little piece of the A27 to finish and had the best journey I have ever had leaving Gatwick at 1630. I was in our drive at 1800 only 50 yards from my garage where the snow was undisturbed about 6 inches deep with a hard frozen crust, I eventually got me car into the garage at 2100.

Can I point out that that the fact that you are snowed in because you haven't got the energy to dig your drive out down in the West Country doesn't mean the club are obliged to call the game off, and similarly with other individual circumstances. Where does the club (or authorities) draw the line? I'm reliant on Southern Railways who seem to have a very dodgy service tomorrow, but I shan't be blaming anybody else for that - I accept that SR are always so, with their contract not having any penalties for crop service.

Go for it guys and have an extra pint if you're early. I'm also taking a good book and a toothbrush for the journey home..

Can I point out that that the fact that you are snowed in because you haven't got the energy to dig your drive out down in the West Country doesn't mean the club are obliged to call the game off, and similarly with other individual circumstances. Where does the club (or authorities) draw the line? I'm reliant on Southern Railways who seem to have a very dodgy service tomorrow, but I shan't be blaming anybody else for that - I accept that SR are always so, with their contract not having any penalties for crop service.

Go for it guys and have an extra pint if you're early. I'm also taking a good book and a toothbrush for the journey home..

Nobody is snowed in, it hasn't been heavy enough for that. What we do have is black ice coating almost the entirety of the road networks throughout most towns in the South West and the connecting roads.

It may actually be easier for Stoke fans, and people like me in the Midlands to get there than those SW of Southampton.

I'm hoping that you're right there, couple of Stokies seem to have had no trouble making the trip.

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/277394/southampton-road

Anyway, packed the car with food, water, quilts and pillows. Me and the boy are going for it, hopefully see you all there, but travel carefully Saints, remember, there is always another game around the corner.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk