Saints 0 Stoke 0 - Post Match

Bad Wolf

We were lucky not to concede in the last 5 minutes thanks to Soares and Stephens.

As for our attacking play, Carillo is utter garbage but we have no other option until

Ausrin gets back.

I beg the club to sack Pellegrino and give us a chance to survive.

We cant buy a win right now so let’s at least have a go with another manager.

Fulham boss anyone?

Why were people clapping the players off at the end of the game in Northam ? (We should be beating Stoke at home !!!) Response when asking such idiots was they were allowed to.

Can I suggest happy clappers feck off to Chapel next season.

Fed up of this pile of sh1te, and fed up of fans who pander to our passionless players and manager.

We were the better team, but never really done enough to score or win the game - they probably looked more dangerous on the counter.

Should have started with 2 up top as we looked much better once we changed.

Ultimately not good enough against a very very poor stoke team.

We will go down under MP, I’ve given up hope. Plan for next season in the championship now.

Garbage Board, garbage manager, garbage team.

Dread to think what ST sales will be like next year. 2 years of utter garbage at home.....why would anyone pay for the very expensive STs to be forced to sat through this garbage week in week out

Relegation beckons..................................

I think like myself, people will wait to see if we get relegated first!

I honestly think we will be relegated can't see us winning a game we are just that bad :( the question is who is to blame, the fans? the players? or the manager?

In order...

1. The board - not good enough in transfer windows, not good enough managerial appointment

2. The manager - not good enough, not his fault I guess but probably should step down.

3. The players - I think a number are massively underperforming

That first 45 mins was just unforgivable in the position we are in. We’ve been garbage all season and how the board cannot see it is bizarre. I can only imagine that les likes having a three way with pellegrino and Ralph and there’s absolutely no way pellegrino will get sacked. It’s like pellegrino must have something over the board. Oh and Carrillo just isn’t very good and to be honest you could have found a player in league 1 who’d have more impact.

Why were people clapping the players off at the end of the game in Northam ? (We should be beating Stoke at home !!!) Response when asking such idiots was they were allowed to.

Can I suggest happy clappers feck off to Chapel next season.

Fed up of this pile of sh1te, and fed up of fans who pander to our passionless players and manager.

This really frustrates me. I get people not wanting to boo, but clapping a crap performance is a complete mystery...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

That was a game that we had to win, but there have been a few others that we could and should have won, we had enough chances in the second half to win it Butland made a couple of good saves in the second half that may have gone in against a lesser keeper. Looking at the remaining fixtures I am finding hard to see where we are going to get the points to ensure we get enough to stay up. We should have got rid of this clueless clown when there were a few managers around that we could have brought in to replace him, I went through the Branfoot days and this clown is on a par with him.

Did you hear his after match talk...he was worried because they had best chance!

Reason we were better second half was Tadic going off and us having 11 on the pitch....disgrace.

How the same 11 came out after half time... well why am I surprised.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Has being rubbish got more boring? Not just here. I don't think I'm imagining it. We've been rubbish many times in my 3 decades watching. That happens. But like so many other teams, we are now rubbish AND exceedingly dull.

It's not long ago rubbish meant throwing away leads, drawing 2-2, losing 3-2 or 4-3. And this was many teams down the bottom. There'd often be one who couldn't score as many, but now it seems like all the sides down there are just painfully dull. Same last season. Is it the money? The absolute fear of relegation leading to cowardly football? So much pack the midfield and hope for the best football.

Imagine being in a sport you're afraid to try and play! It's bad enough when teams do it in mid table, but now we have many clubs where it clearly doesn't even get results. Kind of hoping the most negative sides do go down every season now to beat it out of people.

MLG will be along soon and tell us how weak the German 8th division is compared to the PL or something.

Stoke sat back and looked to attack on the break. Pellegrino persisted with a conservative approach against a poor, one-man team that was already playing ultra-defensively. Pellegrino’s over cautious approach cost us a shot at all 3 points in a must-win game. He’s a coward.

On the plus side, I enjoyed watching Hoedt clean out Diouf after the stamping incident that the useless **** of a referee missed. Players will take matters into their own hands if the referee lets that kind of nonsense go. Also McCarthy pulled off an excellent low save, that prevented a Stoke goal. Lemina was good again. Redmond played well. I thought we looked way more threatening when Gabbiadini came on for Tadic. If only Pellegrino had done it earlier.

That was a game that we had to win, but there have been a few others that we could and should have won, we had enough chances in the second half to win it Butland made a couple of good saves in the second half that may have gone in against a lesser keeper. Looking at the remaining fixtures I am finding hard to see where we are going to get the points to ensure we get enough to stay up. We should have got rid of this clueless clown when there were a few managers around that we could have brought in to replace him, I went through the Branfoot days and this clown is on a par with him.

He’s worse. He’s THE worst. Period. Redmond on the left AGAIN. Near the end when he went to the right he was good. Obvious to everyone and his dog, except the clown. His mate Carrillo is as crap as predicted, and obviously needs someone like Gabbi to play off him. Obvious to everyone and his dog, except the clown. Out of form Romeu instead of PEH, Tadic in the middle/right ....

Did you hear his after match talk...he was worried because they had best chance!

Reason we were better second half was Tadic going off and us having 11 on the pitch....disgrace.

How the same 11 came out after half time... well why am I surprised.

yep we let them have their best chance when we had two up front so he won’t be doing that again.

He seems to think if we played two up front we would be too open and not what ? Win games ? Well that ****in box is already ticked.

Hes a complete idiot, simple as.

Just back from the game.

Dullest 1st half game of football in the history of the world ever. Saints improved a bit in the 2nd half, but the bottom line is, if we can't beat a team as woeful as Stoke then we're in trouble.

Sims was our only spark of inspiration IMO, so not sure why he was subbed.

Should/could have nicked a win, but didn't. Story of our season right there. What's that, 13 draws now?

We limp on.

yep we let them have their best chance when we had two up front so he won’t be doing that again.

He seems to think if we played two up front we would be too open and not what ? Win games ? Well that ****in box is already ticked.

Hes a complete idiot, simple as.

Well one up front is such a success isnt it 8 games without a win he is such a negative numpty it hurts.

You score the equaliser then get dropped such great man management.

I honestly think we will be relegated can't see us winning a game we are just that bad :( the question is who is to blame, the fans? the players? or the manager?

Reed who appointed the muppet, and has failed in the transfer window, time after time.

Well. It was actually a 0-0 where we did enough work to deserve to win it for a change. That's something I suppose.

I agree. Thought we were a bit unlucky in the end. Still too scared for too long though. And actually Redmond wasn't bad for a change. But why take off Sims, the only real breath of fresh air? Carillo totally anonymous, as was Tadic. Cedric slightly less atrocious second half. Not enough pace and guys in final third. And how Boufal missed that header is beyond me. McCarthy excellent again, it has to be said. Light years ahead of Forster. Lemina good. Stephens and Wesley pretty good. We were all over them. But no cutting edge. And manager too timid. Those short corners are ridiculous. Bit more optimistic after seeing a bit of fight tbh. Which is very surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First half poor, particularly Bertrand. Shocking attitude from senior pro imo. OR a shadow of last season, Wes is an accident waiting to happen, Cedric pretty poor as well. On the plus side, Sims & Redmond were excellent as was Lemina again. Stephens ended up playing Crouch ok, one last ditch header was great defending, but a lot of it was more luck than judgement. He needs a proper old pro centre half next to him , not Bambi on ice. Boufal, shocking miss. Sims has hardly played all season so perfectly acceptable to take him off and don’t really understand people moaning about it.

We were a bit unlucky, with Charlie Austin we win that game. Not the end of the world, but need 4 points from Newcastle & West Ham.

****ed of with SWR because I had to drive, and stay sober.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blew the whistle while we waited to take free kick. When has that ever happened. Ffs.

Indeed. Absolutely bizarre. Surely the act of committing a cynical foul in added time should add to the added time? If not, then all a defender needs to do, with 15 seconds or less on the clock, is to hack the opposition down in the knowledge there's no time left to take the free kick.

And when was the last time a match had anything less than 3 minutes added time at the end of the 2nd half?

I appreciate we'd probably have never scored with an extra minute and/or if we were allowed to take the free kick, but doesn't make it any less fathomable

We didn't really expect the first half to be worth watching with the team that Pellegrino selected, did we? He never disappoints with his trademark incompetance, but always disappoints the fans instead. We ended the match against Burnley on a high with the team reinvigorated with the guile and speed of Sims and the goal threat and movement that Gabbiadini brought when we had two strikers up top and Sims feeding the ball into the area.

So the nearly man nearly got it right by playing Sims, but forgot that it was having Gabbiadini up top with a striker partner that got us back into the game. So a lone striker once more, his compatriot Carillo. I have given up hoping that one day the penny will drop and that even just out of idle curiosity he might wonder what having two strikers up top might produce and go for it to find out.

So the first half was one of the most dismally drab and boring halves of football I have witnessed since probably the last dismally drab 45 minutes within the past few home matches. It is Pellegrino's forte, so he must have been delighted with our performance. To much ironic amusement, my neighbour in the stadium sarcastically opined that we would come out a completely different team once they had had the benefit of the inspirational half team talk from the manager. Actually he almost had to eat his words right away, as we forged two decent scoring chances within the first two minutes, whereas we didn't have any in the entire first half at all. The second half was that rarity at St Mary's this season, quite an entertaining half of attacking football, several scoring chances, decent passing and movement, forward attacking momentum, evident desire to fight for the ball, virtually everything that was lacking in the first half.

So what are the lessons that Pellegrino ought to take from this second half and carry it into the next match? Exactly the one that he should have taken from the last second half against Burnley, that two strikers are required.

The question that begs to be asked, has already been asked on Radio Solent and by others on here; why the f*ck can't we put out a team like we had in the second half and play like we did for the first 45 minutes like that too?

Comments on the first half are not worth dwelling over, the least said about it the better. The way that their injured player was treated on the pitch and the time that he took to hobble off at centenarian granny pace was farcical and he should have gone off on a stretcher. At least, 5 minutes was added on as injury time. The two minutes added on at full time was farcical too, that should have been at least 4 minutes and then the stupid ref blew the whistle whilst we were in the course of taking a free kick. Unbelievable.

Throughout the game, Romeu was totally invisible. Hojbjerg instead next time please. Lemina excellent once again. First half Bertrand poor, second half much better. Stephens better than Hoidt, but both reasonably unstretched by a poor Stoke attack. Stoke's shots were comically abysmal mostly, apart from one excellent shot which McCarthy did well to tip around the post, whereas Butland made a string of saves second half, although they were ones you would expect him to make. Tadic was pretty useless most of the match, so no qualms about him going off, especially for Gabbiadini. I wasn't sure about Sims going off, as he had been involved once again in some of the standout chances in the match. Boufal almost scored with his first touch of the ball, but misdirected his header wide of the post. Good to see Long back and I'm not unhappy that he was brought on, as he adds something different, but it would have been interesting to have seen him on for Redmond maybe, leaving three strikers effectively on the pitch, with Long playing out wide. Redmond had done OK in the second half when he was switched to his natural right wing slot ahead of Cedric and Tadic improved Bertrand on the left flank where he is more effective. Why can't this idiot manager play the team to their strengths?

Just a couple of incidents I wondered about; wasn't one of their players on a yellow lucky to stay on the pitch when he committed quite a bad foul early in the second half? Wasn't there also a blatant foul in the box which might have given us a penalty, an obvious shirt pull which prevented one of our players getting to a ball in? I wondered whether VAR might have given it.

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but when discussing the doom and gloom of our drop towards the Championship, there is a glimmer of hope that Austin could return to fire in the goals that might save us. But then again, if the imbecile manager can't countenance the possibility of two strikers on the pitch until the match requires it as a usual last desperate throw of the dice, then it won't change much. Regarding our record signing, the illustrious Argentine striker Carillo, it invites a couple of interesting questions; will he score before the end of the season? Is he more likely to score before Long does next?

Edited by Wes Tender

My heart cries out for opportunities lost at today's game. Have every Saints supporter taken with him an orange to the match, at an opportune moment during play, they thrown their oranges on to the pitch and stopped play, not only would such an action have sent a strong message to our pitiful owners and board, but also provided the homeless and unfortunates of our city with a charitiful offering once these oranges were gathered up to resume play.

Alas too late, for such a gesture to have made a big reaction for so little as an orange.

after watching some horrific long shot attempts today that were skyed so woefully over the bar, makes me think Lemina's was a fluke at WBA- and honestly, it has well and truly made me think how flukey nearly all our wins in the league have been.

WHU- 10 men, and 2 penalties inc. one in the 90th minute which may have been harsh.

CPFC- Roy's first game and even then they had chances where they could have scored.

WBA (h)- Boufal magic but he ain't ever replicating that this season

EVE- okay we deserved a win here 100%. but how often will we play a team managed by Unsworth and a club in disarray like that at the time?

WBA (a)- well... Lemina's shot might be a one off rather than something that will test the keeper again.

and there we have it. 5 WHOLE WINS in the PL. truly pathetic. We managed 12 last season. I don't think we will get to even 7 wins.

I can't wait for this season to be over.

Valuable point. Plenty of teams in it, we’re better away from home, better gd than most, we just need to hold our nerve, and not melt like a bunch of pussies. This will be a much more exciting end to a season we’ve had for a while.

My heart cries out for opportunities lost at today's game. Have every Saints supporter taken with him an orange to the match, at an opportune moment during play, they thrown their oranges on to the pitch and stopped play, not only would such an action have sent a strong message to our pitiful owners and board, but also provided the homeless and unfortunates of our city with a charitiful offering once these oranges were gathered up to resume play.

Alas too late, for such a gesture to have made a big reaction for so little as an orange.

Why not go further and all throw roast beef and yorkshire puddings?

Just get in Marco Silva and be done with it.

One positive - we defended really well against Stoke's aerial threat, and kept Shaqiri quiet in the second half.

Corrr things must be getting bad if even you’re calling for Marco Silva! :lol:

But seriously I agree 100% with you.

First half poor, particularly Bertrand. Shocking attitude from senior pro imo. OR a shadow of last season, Wes is an accident waiting to happen, Cedric pretty poor as well. On the plus side, Sims & Redmond were excellent as was Lemina again. Stephens ended up playing Crouch ok, one last ditch header was great defending, but a lot of it was more luck than judgement. He needs a proper old pro centre half next to him , not Bambi on ice. Boufal, shocking miss. Sims has hardly played all season so perfectly acceptable to take him off and don’t really understand people moaning about it.

We were a bit unlucky, with Charlie Austin we win that game. Not the end of the world, but need 4 points from Newcastle & West Ham.

****ed of with SWR because I had to drive, and stay sober.

Stayed sober? No wonder why you're annoyed, wouldn't wish that on anyone at the moment.

Ref didn’t have control. Blew up as few kick?! Wtf. And 2 mins?! Thought it was 30 s per sub... and there were 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one was made at half time, and two were made at same time. so I guess thats two minutes.

The board and club have given up. Too late to sack this useless arse of a manager, too late to save our season. The first half today brought it home that they haven't got the balls or had them to do anything about it. We were ****, simple. That was the dullest, uninspirational, toothless, gutless, generally utter **** performance I have seen in 43 years of watching my beloved team. The prat we have for a managers interview on solent on way home in car just confirmed it all.

Bed wetter? No

Realist.

Taking this game in isolation I thought it was pretty entertaining for a 0-0 draw and we where the better team. If we were safely in mid table I would have quite enjoyed todays game sadly in our position draws are no ****ing good. I'm pretty sure Stoke saints and westbrom will be enjoying the championship next season.

As for the players I thought Redmond had his best game in a long time, Sims was fun to watch and Lemina was good. Cedric was awful.

WTF.