Saints 0 Stoke 0 - Post Match

Bad Wolf

I heard booing on the telly at the end of both halves.
The booing at full time was directed at the referee for not allowing us to take a free kick in an attacking position before blowing the final whistle.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Taking this game in isolation I thought it was pretty entertaining for a 0-0 draw and we where the better team. If we were safely in mid table I would have quite enjoyed todays game sadly in our position draws are no ****ing good. I'm pretty sure Stoke saints and westbrom will be enjoying the championship next season.

As for the players I thought Redmond had his best game in a long time, Sims was fun to watch and Lemina was good. Cedric was awful.

You really are having a laugh mate!!! That first half was as dreadful as any football imaginable. In fact if you had put 22 manikins out on the pitch it would have been better than the **** we had to watch. The 2nd half was an improvement but Pelligrino is a grade A **** for starting with one up front against a side as bad as Stoke. The guy must be on a bonus to get us relegated!!!

Romeu instead of Hojbjerg = slow build up play

Play Carillo on his own up front = isolation

This manager sets up defensively. He’s so scared about losing that he sets us up not to lose.

Pellegrino has to be more offensive. He has to be more positive. He has to be sacked.

I'll agree a few morons booed at half time - tiny minority - but there was nothing at full time.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You are a blatant ****ing liar or you are as deaf as a doorpost. There was a section of booing AND some applause. You are on a wind up !

Absolute pony. You’re blinkered by your prejudice against the guy. He took players on a lot today, far and away his best performance of the season. He ran at them pretty much as much as Sims did, yet you praise him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spot on, Redmond played well

I could not use my ticket as I was snowed in and could not get to the game. However, watching on live stream it appeared to me that Sims missed 2, Carillo missed one, Cedric and Boufal missed one. You cannot blame the manager for that. Aguero, Kane et al would not have missed those because they have more quality. That is the problem it seems to me and has been the whole of the season.

Absolutely, was our best player.

Mixed emotions today. Was actually quite optimistic when I got to the ground to see it was 4-2-3-1 (with an attacking player in for JWP) but the first half was woeful, more than anything the lack of desire shown and seemingly no realisation from the players this was a must win. But 2nd half was much better. The tempo increased when Tadic went off and I know it's not saying much but that's the best half I've seen from us in ages. I know we have underperforming players and a poor manager, but it does feel like you don't get the breaks when you're down the bottom. Going to be really hard to stay up now, but if Sims and Redmond keep playing like that then we have a chance. When is Austin due back?

3 to 4 weeks minimum.

once again we set out not to lose a game, then decided to go for it and run out of time

its nuts to do the same thing every home game and not learn

Butland's confidence must have been down after his cock up last week, but he had f**k all to do in the first half.

even Branfoot finally realised he was wrong about le tiss, this bloke learns nothing, god knows who is mates are on the training staff because they also must be a load of yes men

The booing at full time was directed at the referee for not allowing us to take a free kick in an attacking position before blowing the final whistle.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Yes. Not allowing the free kick was appalling. And only 2 mins added when there had been 5 subs during the second half.

If that free kick had been given against us and for a "big" team, would that have happened? Think back to Man C away. Not a free kick, but the ref let them continue their attack after time was up, until they scored.

We would have scored yesterday if we'd signed Walcott. Another example of the effect our manager has had on the club (most recognising how bad he is, and not a draw for anyone except overrated mates frm previous clubs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

once again we set out not to lose a game, then decided to go for it and run out of time

its nuts to do the same thing every home game and not learn

Butland's confidence must have been down after his cock up last week, but he had f**k all to do in the first half.

even Branfoot finally realised he was wrong about le tiss, this bloke learns nothing, god knows who is mates are on the training staff because they also must be a load of yes men

I don't think we set out not to lose this has become a tired cliché people are just trotting out every game now. Stoke where the team that had everyone, bar Shaqiri, behind the ball 1st half and we tried to break them down but we lack a player who can unlock that sort of defence. Second half Stoke clearly had a plan to nick one based around sticking crouch on Cedric which caused problems but we where still the more attacking team we just lack quality finishers upfront (plus their goal keeper made some great saves).

We would have scored yesterday if we'd signed Walcott. Another example of the effect our manager has had on the club (most recognising how bad he is, and not a draw for anyone except overrated mates frm previous clubs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We would have scored yesterday if Austin was playing or Boufal could direct a free header on target.

I could not use my ticket as I was snowed in and could not get to the game. However, watching on live stream it appeared to me that Sims missed 2, Carillo missed one, Cedric and Boufal missed one. You cannot blame the manager for that. Aguero, Kane et al would not have missed those because they have more quality. That is the problem it seems to me and has been the whole of the season.

To some extent I agree with that. Pellegrino could be doing so much better but the players cost us the points yesterday.

It would have been a different game and we would have no doubt, dropped back

But you know that

yeah they would have actually had to push men up leaving space in behind for sims, long and Redmond to counter attack into rather than playing for the draw all game like they did..

Wasted corners especially 1st half but even JWP wouldn't have found our players - their 2 centre half's far better than ours. Shaquiri given so much space but didn't use it today. Jack Stephens MOM for me just for two fantastic stops avoiding a goal from Stoke. This team is playing worse than our relegated team but I reckon there are 3 teams worse than us. Probably just as well we have 6 away games - that is how we play at home anyway. Sorry but I don't get Redmond - no point if there is no end product. Same at present with tadic and Boufal. Sims was good but a pity it wasn't Austin taking the shot at the end. I think JWP should play as he is the only one that can deliver a ball and when we get a corner or decent placed free kick away like next week they will be few opportunities meaning we can't be wasteful like yesterday. My third match yesterday and I haven't seen a saints goal live this season. As man city will be my next game - looks like that won't change. Still positive ( owing to our historical battles) that we will be at least 4th from bottom - probably thanks to a shock victory at goodison! I don't want this manger next season which ever division we are in.

Wasted corners especially 1st half but even JWP wouldn't have found our players - their 2 centre half's far better than ours. Shaquiri given so much space but didn't use it today. Jack Stephens MOM for me just for two fantastic stops avoiding a goal from Stoke. This team is playing worse than our relegated team but I reckon there are 3 teams worse than us. Probably just as well we have 6 away games - that is how we play at home anyway. Sorry but I don't get Redmond - no point if there is no end product. Same at present with tadic and Boufal. Sims was good but a pity it wasn't Austin taking the shot at the end. I think JWP should play as he is the only one that can deliver a ball and when we get a corner or decent placed free kick away like next week they will be few opportunities meaning we can't be wasteful like yesterday. My third match yesterday and I haven't seen a saints goal live this season. As man city will be my next game - looks like that won't change. Still positive ( owing to our historical battles) that we will be at least 4th from bottom - probably thanks to a shock victory at goodison! I don't want this manager next season which ever division we are in.

Forgot to say - big positive - Alex McCarthy - they gave the wrong keeper a longer contract.

yeah they would have actually had to push men up leaving space in behind for sims, long and Redmond to counter attack into rather than playing for the draw all game like they did..

That is exactly what has played out all the other times we try to hang on to a 1 goal lead

Edited by Batman

I don't think we set out not to lose this has become a tired cliché people are just trotting out every game now. Stoke where the team that had everyone, bar Shaqiri, behind the ball 1st half and we tried to break them down but we lack a player who can unlock that sort of defence.

I don't think that we necessarily lack the players to break down a defence like theirs. We lack the manager capable of setting out the right team and a strategy to achieve it. It will never happen when we p*ss about passing sideways and backwards allowing defences to organise themselves when the ball finally makes its way upfield. We need to press quickly, play balls fast through the midfield and get behind a team before they have prepared to defend. We need to play with width and speed up the flanks to get behind a defence and then we need two strikers up top to play off one the other, with movement in the box to pull the defence out of shape. It also helps to have players in the positions that suit their strengths, i.e. playing on the side of their strong foot. A settled team playing together more frequently would help, as they would get to recognise their team mates' strengths and weaknesses. We seldom have any of these under the incompetent idiot Pellegrino.

As soon as Gabbi came on yesterday he made a near post run across a defender. We had been crying out for that movement in the box all game.

Well done MP, you utter turd. Starting with 2 holding midfielders and 1 centre-forward against a really poor Stoke side was absolute genius.

Interesting watching the little cameo of the Hoidt/Diouf interaction on MOTD. They highlighted that Diouf had twice deliberatly stamped on Hoidt's foot and then showed the retribution that Hoidt served up to get even. Well done, Hoidt. The dirty little sh*t deserved his injury. What surprises me, is that if he might have dislocated his shoulder, why did he have to hobble off at the pace of a constipated tortoise?

Edited by Wes Tender

I don't think we set out not to lose this has become a tired cliché people are just trotting out every game now. Stoke where the team that had everyone, bar Shaqiri, behind the ball 1st half and we tried to break them down but we lack a player who can unlock that sort of defence. Second half Stoke clearly had a plan to nick one based around sticking crouch on Cedric which caused problems but we where still the more attacking team we just lack quality finishers upfront (plus their goal keeper made some great saves).
We only looked like we might score in the second half once Gabbi came on and gave us a more positive set up going forward. First half was abysmal, never created anything.

If we had started with more purpose, as you should always do at home, we would probably have won.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Well I had us down to finish on 40 points but that included yesterday as a win. Not convinced 38 will be enough, assuming we get that many now, so very worrying.

First half was what you expect from two teams in a relegation scrap who aren’t winning. Stoke to their credit were in our faces at every occasion in the first half and gave us no time. I always thought it would be hard for them to maintain that for 90 mins and that space would open up for us. We had some chances, but to be fair so did they with the 1 on 1 second half. I don’t begrudge them their point.

Finally we took an eternity to take a throw, Long holding on to the ball, with every one seeing 2 mins go up on the board, so I don’t blame the red. Why should he add on more time for a free kick? How would we feel if we were Stoke and it ended up as a goal?

Positives are that we got a point, we are hard to beat, and arguably are more set up to play away from home. Going to be very tight I think

Yes. Not allowing the free kick was appalling. And only 2 mins added when there had been 5 subs during the second half.

If that free kick had been given against us and for a "big" team, would that have happened? Think back to Man C away. Not a free kick, but the ref let them continue their attack after time was up, until they scored.

In the Itchen North, there were boos directed at Pellegrino as well.

3 to 4 weeks minimum.
Austin has been "3 to 4 weeks minimum" away from a return for about 2 months now. Indeed, Pellegrino said he was back in training at the turn of the year. So, sounds like one of those annoying typical Saints injuries, whereby the player's return date gradually slips out to the end of the season whilst raising false hopes that he'll be back sooner. Anyone know why his recovery from a seemingly bog standard hamstring injury keeps getting set back? He seems to be going about every day life without too much mobility issues.

Why should he add on more time for a free kick? How would we feel if we were Stoke and it ended up as a goal?

You won't find a single football fan of any team that wouldn't rather the ref blows up for full time at the exact moment time is up rather than arbitrarily wait for a passage of play to complete.

The observation here though is that 99% of the time, the ref would have allowed yesterday's free kick to have been taken. That's what makes it bizarre and/or annoying.

Furthermore, I believe it's 'fair' to add on additional time to allow such a free kick to be taken (whether the current rules/guidelines allow it or not). Otherwise, if you send out the message to defenders that they can get away with a cynical last ditch foul to prevent a goalscoring chance and/or a follow-up free kick, then you're giving unreasonable advantage to the defending side in those last few seconds of the game, which can't be right/fair.

Edited by trousers

The observation here though is that 99% of the time, the ref would have allowed yesterday's free kick to have been taken. That's what makes it bizarre and/or annoying.

Furthermore, I believe it's 'fair' to add on additional time to allow such a free kick to be taken (whether the current rules/guidelines allow it or not). Otherwise, if you send out the message to defenders that they can get away with a cynical last ditch foul to prevent a goalscoring chance and/or a follow-up free kick, then you're giving unreasonable advantage to the defending side in those last few seconds of the game, which can't be right/fair.

Depends if it's Utd, Liverpool, or City needing the extra time or another.

You won't find a single football fan of any team that wouldn't rather the ref blows up for full time at the exact moment time is up rather than arbitrarily wait for a passage of play to complete.

There was the famous incident of Clive Thomas blowing for full time during a corner kick by Brazil. They took so long faffing about over taking it that I have no sympathy but after that the guidance to referees was to wait until the movement had broken down, that is to allow the corner to be ‘completed’.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26252832

A referee has to be fair to both teams of course but I thought that 2 minutes was a bit light yesterday and was expecting 3 or 4. I always have a stopwatch running and yesterday was 2 minutes in the dot. The players must have been aware of the time because the PA announcer couldn’t believe it was only 2 minutes either.

You can only allow added time for stoppages in play such as substitutions, goal celebrations (if only) or injuries and does not include time taken to set up a free kick, retrieving the ball, that sort of thing.

Yes, it was bizarre as was the way that Diouf took so long to hobble off with a hand injury. I suspect that he was under instructions to take his time so that a substitute could get prepared, old cynic that I am.

We had 90 minutes to get a goal and we all know that we wouldn’t have scored with another 90 let alone 1 or 2.

There was the famous incident of Clive Thomas blowing for full time during a corner kick by Brazil. They took so long faffing about over taking it that I have no sympathy but after that the guidance to referees was to wait until the movement had broken down, that is to allow the corner to be ‘completed’.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/26252832

A referee has to be fair to both teams of course but I thought that 2 minutes was a bit light yesterday and was expecting 3 or 4. I always have a stopwatch running and yesterday was 2 minutes in the dot. The players must have been aware of the time because the PA announcer couldn’t believe it was only 2 minutes either.

You can only allow added time for stoppages in play such as substitutions, goal celebrations (if only) or injuries and does not include time taken to set up a free kick, retrieving the ball, that sort of thing.

Yes, it was bizarre as was the way that Diouf took so long to hobble off with a hand injury. I suspect that he was under instructions to take his time so that a substitute could get prepared, old cynic that I am.

We had 90 minutes to get a goal and we all know that we wouldn’t have scored with another 90 let alone 1 or 2.

Indeed. I guess what everyone wants is refereeing consistency, but we ain't gonna get that anytime soon whilst human beings are involved. If we'd had yesterday's ref at the Etihad then Man City don't score a winner against us... Edited by trousers

I thought it was strange only playing 2 mins and thought it bizarre that he didn’t let us take the free kick, however I was ****ed off with our fannying around with the throw in just prior to the end. Long had the ball in his hand and then left it for Bertrand who trotted up the line and took an age to take the throw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolute pony. You’re blinkered by your prejudice against the guy. He took players on a lot today, far and away his best performance of the season. He ran at them pretty much as much as Sims did, yet you praise him.

Yep, Redmond had a good game but it doesn't stop the blinkered like the guy near me who was chuntering on negatively about Redmond the whole game. The guy in the row behind was hacked off too and pointedly said 'well done Redmond' when he did a nice bit of play. We swapped glances, both rolled our eyes and the idiot continued as before.

Wasted corners especially 1st half but even JWP wouldn't have found our players - their 2 centre half's far better than ours. Shaquiri given so much space but didn't use it today. Jack Stephens MOM for me just for two fantastic stops avoiding a goal from Stoke. This team is playing worse than our relegated team but I reckon there are 3 teams worse than us. Probably just as well we have 6 away games - that is how we play at home anyway. Sorry but I don't get Redmond - no point if there is no end product. Same at present with tadic and Boufal. Sims was good but a pity it wasn't Austin taking the shot at the end. I think JWP should play as he is the only one that can deliver a ball and when we get a corner or decent placed free kick away like next week they will be few opportunities meaning we can't be wasteful like yesterday. My third match yesterday and I haven't seen a saints goal live this season. As man city will be my next game - looks like that won't change. Still positive ( owing to our historical battles) that we will be at least 4th from bottom - probably thanks to a shock victory at goodison! I don't want this manger next season which ever division we are in.

Redmond no end product!!!!! Go and watch the highlights, anything any good came with him involved add to that the magnificent cross that Boufal cocked up.

shameful that fans are still picking on him

Redmond no end product!!!!! Go and watch the highlights, anything any good came with him involved add to that the magnificent cross that Boufal cocked up.

shameful that fans are still picking on him

He had 3 good shots cutting in from the left was having his best spell for ages our genius manager then moved him. He did put over a great cross from the right but lost his threat from left as Boufal lost it nearly every time.

I would like him to try more central with Tadic left as he has to play it seems he did well at Burnley doing that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He had 3 good shots cutting in from the left was having his best spell for ages our genius manager then moved him. He did put over a great cross from the right but lost his threat from left as Boufal lost it nearly every time.

I would like him to try more central with Tadic left as he has to play it seems he did well at Burnley doing that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Tadic should not even be close to starting. He sums up our disgrace of a season.....more often than not this season its been like playing with 10 men yet this t**t still seems to start every game.

Our home form is more than relegation form, it is rock bottom form.

West Brom are gone, but of all the teams down there, we are the one that look less likely to be able to turn things around.

We are shot for confidence and have wasted all the "accessible" home games.

The only thing that can lift the team is if we do make it to Wembley. A defeat at Wigan, especially if we fail to win before (not unlikely), would see us panic.

Blows my mind that we’ve beaten 1 team in the last 16 league games and MoPe hasn’t changed a thing (bar rotating like for like midfielders in and out). Keeps playing the same formation, same slow, plodding tactics. It’s infuriating to watch these must win games and see how flat we start and suddenly the clock is on 40 minutes and we’ve done nothing.

I can’t see us winning again this season if I’m honest. It’ll take a fluke goal, a horrendous gaffe or a refereeing error for that to happen.