Saints 0 Stoke 0 - Post Match

Bad Wolf

Taking this game in isolation I thought it was pretty entertaining for a 0-0 draw and we where the better team. ful.

And the rest of your post too. Sat at Southampton Central station after numerous cancellations, I'm hoping to meet the ref too so I can join him to my rant about Southern Rail.

Aargh!

My heart cries out for opportunities lost at today's game. Have every Saints supporter taken with him an orange to the match, at an opportune moment during play, they thrown their oranges on to the pitch and stopped play, not only would such an action have sent a strong message to our pitiful owners and board, but also provided the homeless and unfortunates of our city with a charitiful offering once these oranges were gathered up to resume play.

Alas too late, for such a gesture to have made a big reaction for so little as an orange.

Have you considered applying for the managers job once the club wake up and sack this tard?

I think that you have the right credentials that this amateur outfit would look for.

That first half was just painful viewing but you can bet your last penny MoPe will go back to that same system he started the game with and wont have learnt a thing. Why he waits until 63 minutes to actually try and win it I've no idea. It's like he starts every game thinking, 'let's just get through the first 2/3 without getting beaten and go from there'.

Carrillo - Isolated

Tadic - Useless on the right

Redmond - Negative, wont take his man on

Long - Offered absolutely nothing

Boufal - One header aside, neither did he. Useless show pony, falls around a lot.

On the plus side

Sims - Ran at them, caused problems.

Gabbi - F**k me, we actually looked like we were trying to score after he came on.

Lemina - If we go down, he will be the best player ever to get relegated IMO.

Redmond - Negative, wont take his man on

Absolute pony. You’re blinkered by your prejudice against the guy. He took players on a lot today, far and away his best performance of the season. He ran at them pretty much as much as Sims did, yet you praise him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Corrr things must be getting bad if even you’re calling for Marco Silva! :lol:

But seriously I agree 100% with you.

Desperate times.

I'm not desperate enough to ever want Sam Allardyce though. What a disaster that would've turned out to be, had some got their wish! :?

Very typical saints display in the first half. Lots of possession and absolutely no ability to use it to open up the opponent. A lack of quality was best summed up when Sims miscontrolled a throw in, deep in their half, which lead to him going backwards and eventually to McCarthy. An erosion in quality is subtle. Tiny things all add up to us not creating chances and scoring goals.

The second half was much better. We created two half chances with one up front, but when we when 4-4-2 we were far more effective. We started to drag their centre halves all over the place and looked a real threat. MP has selected almost everyone to play behind the striker, but his major failing in not trying different formations. It made such a difference today. You have to ask the question, why has he not tried this earlier, tried different formations, been more flexible?

I thought Redmond was decent in the second half. He beat men and caused problems on both wings. When moved to the right he put in a beauty of ball for Boufal's chance having got the byeline. Need to see much much more that.

Thought Lemina had another great game, the two centre backs were also good. The distribution from both was top draw. Cedric struggled and made some poor decisions. Tadic and Sims were largely ineffective. Tadic started brightly but disappeared. Sims movement was great, but when he broke free he failed to take advantage of the 2 on 1 chance. Carrillo worked hard and won a lot in the air against two big CBs. Just needs to show more in front of goal.

[quote=Lighthouse;2602196

Lemina - If we go down, he will be the best player ever to get relegated IMO.

We were talking about this at half time if we get relegated trying to shift some of the players we have will take some doing, who would buy Forster on £90k per week if he can't get into a team this bad?

Absolute pony. You’re blinkered by your prejudice against the guy. He took players on a lot today, far and away his best performance of the season. He ran at them pretty much as much as Sims did, yet you praise him.

The cross for Boufal's header was decent. If he could do that more often it would be fantastic but too often he looks for the safe ball inside.

The second half was much better. We created two half chances with one up front, but when we when 4-4-2 we were far more effective. We started to drag their centre halves all over the place and looked a real threat. MP has selected almost everyone to play behind the striker, but his major failing in not trying different formations. It made such a difference today. You have to ask the question, why has he not tried this earlier, tried different formations, been more flexible?

I'm probably being too optimistic, but if we were significantly better at 442 whether we might see this again? I'm not necessarily an advocate of 442 over other formations but it's got to be worth a try at the moment.

e34ebe33ecf88a2a9d77d98a0c2e6f25.jpg

There was a moment in the second half and we got a corner. We had momentum. Redmond came over to take, and MP was gesticulatimg at him furiously to take it short and retain possession instead of whipping in a cross. To his credit, Redmond chose to ignore that. We have the most lily livered defensive, negative manager in history. I loathe him and the way he has dismantled this club, with the full support of Reed. They're hoping we scrape through. We won't with zero goal threat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There you go !

That’s pony. I head the interview. What he actually said in response to Blackmore going all Merrington on him about 2 up front, was that he accepted we had our best spell when we had 2 up front, but that they also had their best chance when we we did.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Add this to the list of **** aways this season.

Our attacking options are so, so, so woeful. A good manager would at least get a system in place though. It's alright though, we're still targetting Europe.

Shambles.

No more to be said.

That’s pony. I head the interview. What he actually said in response to Blackmore going all Merrington on him about 2 up front, was that he accepted we had our best spell when we had 2 up front, but that they also had their best chance when we we did.

That’s not true. They had plenty of good chances in the first half when we only had one up front.

So the plan is to literally draw are way out of the bottom 3...

west ham is the key, they have to get rid of him and get silva if that isn't a win.

He could give us a chance of winning points in our final games.

Agreed, but Silva won't come. Will be at Everton next season imo

today was the last chance.........................................................to see a Saints win at home or a goal in front of the Northam , for such a pivotal game should've started as we finished at Burnley instead he puts out boring safety football , he's the equal of steve 'boring' davis the snooker player , taking on % rather than the courage to try the harder chances

As said in the prematch, they have some big physical players at the back but are much more vulnerable down the flanks. Redmond and to a lesser extent Sims, supported by the fullbacks exploited this weakness. Think they would have struggled against Long -Carrillo was food and drink for their CBs.

Woeful, insipid first half and they arguably had the better chances. With Crouch’s introduction, thought they were going to take control of the game, though we came out strong in the second half and had them under the cosh before they briefly rallied at the end.

The lack of intensity in the side is disturbing, not least because it’s entirely correctable. Yes we played much better in the second half but it was too little, too late for a game of this magnitude.

Edited by shurlock

As said in the prematch, they have some big physical players at the back but are much vulnerable down the flanks. Redmond and to a lesser extent Sims, supported by the fullbacks exploited this weakness. Think they would have struggled against Long -Carrillo was food and drink for their CBs.

Woeful, insipid first half and they arguably had the better chances. With Crouch’s introduction, thought they were going to take control of the game, though we came out strong in the second half and had them under the cosh before they briefly rallied at the end.

The lack of intensity in the side is disturbing, not least because it’s entirely correctable. Yes we played much better in the second half but it’s too little, too late for a game of this magnitude.

Agreed. Intensity is key. Although Redmond played well today, there are far too many instances when instead of running AT the defender with pace, he slows it right down to a stop, thinking that he is good enough to do a Willian and shift it with explosive pace. He is not and everything grinds to a halt. Sims I think holds some of the answers if he can resist the excitement in his play being drummed out of him as it has been squashed out of the rest

Hard to know what to say anymore, to be honest I feel quite apathetic about the rest of the season, can't even get worked up about it anymore. The main problem from where I'm sat though has still not changed, you could have any superstar manager in the world in charge right now and we'd still struggle, the side is completely devoid of natural goalscorers. That falls on Reed and the recruitment team, although Pellegrino should feel embarrassed for obviously recommending our new Sunday league striker.

Applause for a committed effort by the team.

I know this will disappoint and shock you, but it's what happened.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Was 'mixed' in the Northam to say the least. I think it was mainly frustration at how badly we had played for the first hour when it was obviously a poor team to anyone other than MoPe.

The cross for Boufal's header was decent. If he could do that more often it would be fantastic but too often he looks for the safe ball inside.

That's because he was on the left side for most of the match. He did ok there today (won a few corners), but nothing special, but when he moved over to the right late in the match he played very well (including that excellent cross). Of course I can understand why the clown plays Redmond on the left ... it's to free up the right hand side for Tadic. :mcinnes:

I'll agree a few morons booed at half time - tiny minority - but there was nothing at full time.

The sounds coming out of the TV can be a little misleading but still...

“Southampton were roundly booed off at half-time and at the final whistle, with the worry that they are sleepwalking towards the Championship.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/03/southampton-stoke-city-premier-league-match-report

It’s to going to help with their already-fragile confidence, that’s for sure.

I'll agree a few morons booed at half time - tiny minority - but there was nothing at full time.

There was more booing when the little lad doing the half-time race thingy ran to the goal with the ball in his hand instead of kicking it from the half-way line. There was more entertainment in those few minutes than in all of the first half. :lol:

That's because he was on the left side for most of the match. He did ok there today (won a few corners), but nothing special, but when he moved over to the right late in the match he played very well (including that excellent cross). Of course I can understand why the clown plays Redmond on the left ... it's to free up the right hand side for Tadic. :mcinnes:

Sims played on the right. Then he was taken off allowing Redmond...etc

Redmond did more than ok.

Not today he didn’t. He played exactly as people have been calling for, yet still gets clog.

Absolutely, was our best player.

Mixed emotions today. Was actually quite optimistic when I got to the ground to see it was 4-2-3-1 (with an attacking player in for JWP) but the first half was woeful, more than anything the lack of desire shown and seemingly no realisation from the players this was a must win. But 2nd half was much better. The tempo increased when Tadic went off and I know it's not saying much but that's the best half I've seen from us in ages. I know we have underperforming players and a poor manager, but it does feel like you don't get the breaks when you're down the bottom. Going to be really hard to stay up now, but if Sims and Redmond keep playing like that then we have a chance. When is Austin due back?

Absolutely, was our best player.

Mixed emotions today. Was actually quite optimistic when I got to the ground to see it was 4-2-3-1 (with an attacking player in for JWP) but the first half was woeful, more than anything the lack of desire shown and seemingly no realisation from the players this was a must win. But 2nd half was much better. The tempo increased when Tadic went off and I know it's not saying much but that's the best half I've seen from us in ages. I know we have underperforming players and a poor manager, but it does feel like you don't get the breaks when you're down the bottom. Going to be really hard to stay up now, but if Sims and Redmond keep playing like that then we have a chance. When is Austin due back?

I've lost count of how many times I've read something like this though. We've had too many false dawns.

Didn't win but at least we stopped Stoke pulling away. We're in a dog fight and every point counts. I've grasped that straw and holding it tight.

Saints aren't down yet and still in the fight. I'm not giving up.

No Holberg or JWP. The latter creates chances and we have precious few of them. Instead we watch Tadic mince around for 60 mins.

Holberg occupies the middle ground and goes forward. Romeo plays too deep and slows the play down.

Long and Gabbi should start, the new guy just doesn't do enough.

So we have poor team selection, iffy subs, and a lethargic slow build up that lets the opposition set out their zonal marking comfortably. Now i wonder who is responsible for that.

The one saving grace is that Saints are hard to beat at the moment and definetely better away from home.

There is some hope....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk