Which "cheap option" would you employ for The Championship?

Bad Wolf

Obviously we're going cheap and if 8th and a Cup Final wasn't enough to save a job, I doubt relegation will be...Even with a Cup win.

Who would you get in as an extra extra cheap option? Only restriction:

Can't have had a management job in the last five years.

I'll say Kevin Keegan!

My first thought is whoever it is needs to be able to navigate the championship.

In previous years, when you see teams managed by Warnock / Big Sam / Steve Bruce etc, there's a safe bet they will be there or there abouts.

I'm not sure our board will want that though. They will try and get a fancy foreign name because they know best.

The cheap option conspiracy doesn't stack up. If we'd spent nothing. then fine. But we've broken transfer records, offered increasingly big wages, big signing on fees and we hoping to spend even more on Promes. I have no doubt they will spend big if they can get targets they want.

What confuses me is why they don't spend more on the manager, the most important role.

The Championship will depend on who we appoint and who we hold on to. SURELY, given we'll be bringing in £150mn+ minimum in sales of Cedric, Bertrand, Hoedt, Romeu, Tadic, Hojbjerg, Lemina, JWP, Boufal, Redmond, Gabbiadini, we'd have enough to pay well for a season or two. Yes, I know people like to make excuses for Pellegrino and claim our players are rubbish and no one would want them, but reputations and past performance count for a lot and all those players will go. I expect most of them will do really well too, which will be frustrating to watch, but personally I don't blame many that much. Pellegrino has made it so difficult for people to go out and find form, I'm sure there'll be delighted to be rid of him anyway.

Players we have a chance of keeping - Mccarthy, Targett, McQueen, Yoshi, Pied, Stephens, Reed, Davis, Hesketh, Sims, Austin, Long, Carrillo. There's the basis of a good team in there. I'd worry about Stephens, he might be wanted by lower Prem sides, and Targett might well get an offer from Fulham who'll likely be Premier League instead of us. Still, if we did keep most of them, I think we'd only be another central midfielder and winger away from a promotion side.

Forgot about Clasie! He'd be useful to have back in that league.

As for manager, would be ambitious but Potter would be a great appointment. There's a way round that. Give him the job NOW.

Really? Clasie will get absolutely battered in the championship, far too lightweight!!

Can’t see us appointing a household name with a proven track record, we’ll probably get linked with some decent names and settle for the guy nobody has heard of nor wants.

The Championship will depend on who we appoint and who we hold on to. SURELY, given we'll be bringing in £150mn+ minimum in sales of Cedric, Bertrand, Hoedt, Romeu, Tadic, Hojbjerg, Lemina, JWP, Boufal, Redmond, Gabbiadini, we'd have enough to pay well for a season or two. Yes, I know people like to make excuses for Pellegrino and claim our players are rubbish and no one would want them, but reputations and past performance count for a lot and all those players will go.

Can you give an example of a relegated team, ever, that has seen that level of exodus of players being sold for half-decent money?

It just doesn't happen. The levels of wage inflation these days mean that realistically the only teams that can afford to buy our players are top half Premier League, or the odd team in Europe. You simply cannot make a sensible case for the likes of Leicester, Roma or Stuttgart (let alone the really big clubs) paying decent money for the vast majority of the players you have listed. There just aren't enough clubs with the buying power to go around, and those that do can find more value in their own leagues. We are far more likely to be 'saddled' with some big contracts for a couple of years.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Paul Hurst would be a good shout for the Championship

Alex Neil did well in getting Norwich promoted, so possible.

Adkins, already got us promoted twice.

Steve Cotterill is available again though.

Come home Phil Brown.

Gary Neville

Phil & Gary Neville dream combo

Pards would probably be on my shortlist.

I’d go for Strachan btw.

Hurst at Shrewsbury

Neil Warnock the guy is a **** but his record in the lowers leagues is pretty impressive

Tim Sherwood

None of these meet the criteria asked for in the opening thread.

Can Saints fans not read!? :mcinnes: :p ;)

Only restriction:

Can't have had a management job in the last five years.