Why no fan protests?

davefoggy

I'm utterly amazed that there has been no vocal protest against either the clown in charge or the board at recent home games. In the past we have seen proper demonstrations against Branfoot, Lowe etc but why nothing now? In 25+ years as a season ticket holder I can't remember us playing this bad ever. 8 home games in a row without a win, 1 league win in 16. But I'm still yet to hear an anti MP song apart from Fulham away in the cup.

Are we just resigned to relegation?

Apathy. The reality is we are at the mercy of the owner and with the insipid performances there hasnt been a hammering bad enough to spout anyone into action. As it stands we are out of the relegation zone with a chance of survival even if its small. Tough to get people up for that.

I'm utterly amazed that there has been no vocal protest against either the clown in charge or the board at recent home games. In the past we have seen proper demonstrations against Branfoot, Lowe etc but why nothing now? In 25+ years as a season ticket holder I can't remember us playing this bad ever. 8 home games in a row without a win, 1 league win in 16. But I'm still yet to hear an anti MP song apart from Fulham away in the cup.

Because we went to support the team, who worked hard, played good positive football and should have won, not to create a toxic negative atmosphere.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I’m past the point of giving a sh!t now. If I’m honest, I think we deserve to go down because of our absolute arrogance at board level.

I’m not sure if a protest would make any difference anyway tbh. If we do protest it’ll need to be boycott and hit them where it hurts ££

Because we went to support the team, who worked hard, played good positive football and should have won, not to create a toxic negative atmosphere.

Which game are you talking about ?

If today did you miss the first half ?

Asylum beckons

Went with two mates for the SOLE reason that I hadn't seen either of them in about a year and we fancied a good old fashioned Saturday afternoon get together in the pub. We went in with absolutely no expectations of the game and left with an even greater sense of apathy.

I think it's gotten to the point, for me at least, that Premier League football is so sterile, vulgar and out of touch with the real world that I struggle to care about it.

Sorry mate but if you really think over 90 minutes we played good positive football then you need a reality check. Fans like you encourage the sleep walk with your false positivity. We are **** and have been all season.

I guess the fact that every team from 7th and below are bang average, and that we're still only 6 points off the top half, despite our lacklustre form, means that there's still plenty to play for and protesting now would/could/might be counter productive

I guess the fact that every team from 7th and below are bang average, and that we're still only 6 points off the top half, despite our lacklustre form, means that there's still plenty to play for and protesting now would/could/might be counter productive

Good thinking, let's wait until June and then really let our feelings be known.

Good thinking, let's wait until June and then really let our feelings be known.
I accept that venting our spleen now rather than later *might* have a positive effect on the outcome of our season, but I also recognise it could equally have a negative effect. Whichever path we choose (protest vs non-protest) we won't know what the best approach would have been until the end of the season. That's what makes hindsight such a wonderful concept :)

Which game are you talking about ?

If today did you miss the first half ?

I saw the whole game. Yes, we weren't effective enough in the first half, but with better finishing should have won with the pressure we applied after half time.

We need to protest if we want any chance of staying in the Premier, we need to let it be known that we aren't happy with the way the club is being run right now. I'll support any kind of protest that is organised, but sadly I think the majority of fans won't bother, many have accepted our fate!

Our fans are pretty gutless. Remember all the promised riots after the previous relegation

All fart no **** our southern softies!! We wouldn't want to upset or offend anyone

Gutless we maybe but at least we actually pay our money and turn up rather than perpetually gripe on forum looking for cheap bites. You are one sad mother ****er

Seem to recollect Guan mentioned it a few months ago. Lots of people wanted to give Pellegrino time because he was the right man for the job, Les Reed wasn't, etc.

Went with two mates for the SOLE reason that I hadn't seen either of them in about a year and we fancied a good old fashioned Saturday afternoon get together in the pub. We went in with absolutely no expectations of the game and left with an even greater sense of apathy.

I think it's gotten to the point, for me at least, that Premier League football is so sterile, vulgar and out of touch with the real world that I struggle to care about it.

Nice post mate reality from players to fans is all about selfies and doing or seen to be doing the right thing.Way too much money to truely care about lifetime supporters who just want to see some progress at least or dare we say player loyalty?

no protests because the hardcore have been swamped with the brainwashed customers who believed in all this "we March On" crap.

does not seem to be pc to protest these days

shame to say after 56 years of support, will be 64 in April, getting to the point where i do not give a f*ck because of the way football has gone both in general and more importantly at Saints

Was happy to protest against Branfoot and Rupert but with this lot from Guan down i see no point they do not care unless it becomes personal aimed at them, they are hanging the manager out to dry(yes he is useless but they appointed him

Perhaps everyone is like you, waiting for someone else to show the courage of their conviction and start a song? Personally I was too engrossed in the game to be thinking about protest songs. The second half efforts also left me feeling the players gave everything. Lemina for example was out in his feet before the end. Did I want to boo that? The feeling was more gutted than anger

I think there are too many disaffected fans now, too many late to the party ‘supporters’ and as Trousers said, with the bottom 12 clubs so close on points even with just 9 games left anything could happen, so people still think we have a chance of escaping the drop.

I have it on good authority that MP has some great tactical and coaching ideas, however the players are not responding - they don’t get it. Reed believes MP can turn it round hence why he’s still here.

Probably has a lot to do with it. The top 6 will always be the top 6 from her on and the other 14 clubs know they might as well write off the 12 matches involving those 'big' clubs. The other 14 clubs know also that they have no chance of breaking into the top 6 looking forward so in normal circumstances that rules out European competition for them.

So what is there to play for for those 'other' 14? Just being best of the rest? I don't think so! Judging by the spreading malaise of apathy around here now it seems this penny has dropped for many fans and only a diminishing number of diehards cling to the vain hope that somehow the clock can be turned back to how it used to be.

As far as Saints are concerned it hasn't helped that Kreuger is on record as having conceded that we are indeed now a small club with no ambition to challenge at the top, that we are just one of the 14 making up the numbers in the travelling circus the premier league has become.

I have been to 90% of home and away games for the last 45 years and after yesterday I wail never go to another match as long as MP and sir les are at the club ,they jointly have drain ever emotion I have for the club,I very dark day for me

I have been to 90% of home and away games for the last 45 years and after yesterday I wail never go to another match as long as MP and sir les are at the club ,they jointly have drain ever emotion I have for the club,I very dark day for me

This. The club comes across as a small faceless uncaring corporate body. It does not feel like our local club anymore. I’m fed up with the lies, the failure to recognise when to act managerially and its detachment from the fan base. I have simply fallen out of love with it.

I have been a season ticket holder since 1994. Have never ever thought about not renewing, even during the dark Lowe days. But next year, unless the guardians of our club start to show some competency and that they care, then I won’t be renewing.

no protests because the hardcore have been swamped with the brainwashed customers who believed in all this "we March On" crap.

does not seem to be pc to protest these days

shame to say after 56 years of support, will be 64 in April, getting to the point where i do not give a f*ck because of the way football has gone both in general and more importantly at Saints

Was happy to protest against Branfoot and Rupert but with this lot from Guan down i see no point they do not care unless it becomes personal aimed at them, they are hanging the manager out to dry(yes he is useless but they appointed him

giphy.gif

MP has had it pretty easy really considering how sh*te we've been.

We politely boo at the end of a bad half (has been quite a few of those). But can't remember any chanting for him to go.

Most of the moaning is on social media, but not sure anyone gives a sh*t about that at the club.

I remember the Branfoot protests, and they worked but I doubt they would have any impact - except negatively on the players - the Board are unknowns to us, not locals as before, the chairman has nothing to do with Southampton or even with England, or even with football, likewise the owners in China. So who would notice a protest? Only the players and they have enough to cope with and need encouragement not criticism , it's not thei fault (well, only partly)

MP has had it pretty easy really considering how sh*te we've been.

We politely boo at the end of a bad half (has been quite a few of those). But can't remember any chanting for him to go.

Most of the moaning is on social media, but not sure anyone gives a sh*t about that at the club.

Actually we did give him a short rendition of "sacked inn the morning" at the Hawthorns after we went one nil down after 4 minutes. Seemed to wake the players up and we went on to win. Perhaps protest is the way to go!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Throw in the fact that our season has resembled a frog being slowly boiled alive - there hasn't been a huge or dramatic collapse that would provoke a reaction. Thus we've only lost two fewer games than Arsenal. It goes without saying that we've drawn too many games.

Of course, you'd hope that the drab style of play and the fact that MP has shown little to no learning, elusive a quality as it is, would be a wake up call; but no doubt the club and a fair few supporters are looking at results and hoping we'll turn a corner and don't want to jeopardise that possibility.

It also doesn't help that there are no specific targets for abuse - ironically Pellegrino is so pathetic and earnest that it's disabling to any kind of protest while Reed, Gao et al. are conspicuous by their absence.

Throw in the fact that our season has resembled a frog being slowly boiled alive - there hasn't been a huge or dramatic collapse that would provoke a reaction. Thus we've only lost two fewer games than Arsenal. It goes without saying that we've drawn too many games.

Of course, you'd hope that the drab style of play and the fact that MP has shown little to no learning, elusive a quality as it is, would be a wake up call; but no doubt the club and a fair few supporters are looking at results and hoping we'll turn a corner and don't want to jeopardise that possibility.

It also doesn't help that there are no specific targets for abuse - ironically Pellegrino is so pathetic and earnest that it's disabling to any kind of protest while Reed, Gao et al. are conspicuous by their absence.

Agree. MP looks like a lost soul and sense of fair play means he isn’t an automatic candidate for abuse. Fat Sam would be my ideal candidate to get more worked up about. Although FFS the board must be able to gauge the feelings without white hankies and felt tipped scrawl on pieces of A4