Why no fan protests?

davefoggy

Don’t think Fitz is blaming fans think he is saying team been **** all year.

Somebody mentions a continuous and gentle slide into trouble rather than a sudden shock that might have United the fans in a protest.

For me I have written to the Board. As a business man telling them that the contempt that they hold the 30k + fans in is unforgivable. Telling them that in no other business would they get away with such poor performance of their company.

Simply put they are well out of their depth and are relying on hope and luck that they get away with this. Any decision to rectify the situation brings implications of their own performance which is unacceptable to them. Their is also this complete ignorance and arrogance that following their model is unshakeable.

IF we do get out of this it will further build and strengthen their arrogance so don’t expect them to change direction. If they got rid of MP it would be another hire of that ilk.

I did get answers and you probably can imagine what they said

Don’t think Fitz is blaming fans think he is saying team been **** all year.

Somebody mentions a continuous and gentle slide into trouble rather than a sudden shock that might have United the fans in a protest.

For me I have written to the Board. As a business man telling them that the contempt that they hold the 30k + fans in is unforgivable. Telling them that in no other business would they get away with such poor performance of their company.

Simply put they are well out of their depth and are relying on hope and luck that they get away with this. Any decision to rectify the situation brings implications of their own performance which is unacceptable to them. Their is also this complete ignorance and arrogance that following their model is unshakeable.

IF we do get out of this it will further build and strengthen their arrogance so don’t expect them to change direction. If they got rid of MP it would be another hire of that ilk.

I did get answers and you probably can imagine what they said ��

I also wrote to the club this week and got the usual cut and paste reply. I informed them that i know so many long serving fans that won't be renewing their season tickets next year but this wasn't acknowledged in the reply. They signed off with 'we march on!' Which just goes to show how ignorant they are

I don't think there's a group of fans so disorganised than us and away these days they'd be people out protesting the protest!

Strange isn’t it. People near me in Itchen almost look embarrassed to sing OWTS. Must be lack of history and attachment to club or just not cool. No chance of getting some passion to stand up and shout out the poor performance of the board. Or maybe people just feel we should just be grateful to be around these days .... constant reminders of remember where we’ve been..

Throw in the fact that our season has resembled a frog being slowly boiled alive - there hasn't been a huge or dramatic collapse that would provoke a reaction. Thus we've only lost two fewer games than Arsenal. It goes without saying that we've drawn too many games.

Of course, you'd hope that the drab style of play and the fact that MP has shown little to no learning, elusive a quality as it is, would be a wake up call; but no doubt the club and a fair few supporters are looking at results and hoping we'll turn a corner and don't want to jeopardise that possibility.

It also doesn't help that there are no specific targets for abuse - ironically Pellegrino is so pathetic and earnest that it's disabling to any kind of protest while Reed, Gao et al. are conspicuous by their absence.

Yeah exactly- there have been three games if i remember correctly where we completely capitulated- Liverpool away, Spurs away and Leicester home.

I'm utterly amazed that there has been no vocal protest against either the clown in charge or the board at recent home games. In the past we have seen proper demonstrations against Branfoot, Lowe etc but why nothing now? In 25+ years as a season ticket holder I can't remember us playing this bad ever. 8 home games in a row without a win, 1 league win in 16. But I'm still yet to hear an anti MP song apart from Fulham away in the cup.

Are we just resigned to relegation?

It's probably because the people who were mouthing off about Puel last year have seen things regress thanks entirely to their complaints, and lots of people who might actually think this manager isn't any good don't want to be seen to be supporting the same thing as them this time around. The online version of them are also the reason loads of people don't bother coming on here any more.

FWIW I had the "pleasure" of listening to two absolute tossers yelling abuse at Jack Stephens on the weekend as they made their way out from the back of Northam Block 42 just because he happened to be the nearest player, handing his shirt to some kid. Given that he'd just kept a clean sheet, I can safely say they did not have a ferking clue what they were talking about.

Edited by The9

Fitzhugh Fella couldn't stand NC who took us up the leagues and got us Poch...now look where we are

A lot of people think Cortese is a helmet, it has practically no bearing on anything that's happened in the past 4 years other than us having to pay off his loan overheads rather than maybe improving the playing squad with that money for the first few years of it.

It’s pathetic our fans haven’t protested. Shows we are a small club with non passionate fans.

On the contrary, it shows the nobheads are still in the minority. There are still a few of them out there though, booing our players during matches, sarcastic cheering them, booing backwards passes, all that stuff.

Also, no-one gives a toss if you protest or not any more. The board is motivated by Premier League tv money, and to get that they need to be in the Premier League, so therefore they are only going to act in what they think is the best interest of the club.

For me, complaining about a season where everyone below 8th is in a relegation battle is just... stupid. Also, it's the structure and lack of change from a system that's previously been successful for us that's underpinning the mediocrity, quite a difficult thing to complain about. Anyone having a pop at Reed is going to get battered with "same stuff got us to Europe two years running" and anyone attacking the manager knows it's futile because if he was getting sacked it was in January after Palace, and Krueger specifically moved to quell those ideas before the result, showing that he wasn't going anywhere. Plus the last sacking was in response to protests, and has clearly not been an improvement.

I have it on good authority that MP has some great tactical and coaching ideas, however the players are not responding - they don’t get it. Reed believes MP can turn it round hence why he’s still here.

The bizarre team selections and substitutions tend to argue against that proposition. But even if there was an element of truth in it, then we need to get in a manager with great tactical and coaching ideas who is capable of getting the players to respond to them. If Pellegrino isn't capable of doing that, then what is the point of having him as manager?

It's probably because the people who were mouthing off about Puel last year have seen things regress thanks entirely to their complaints, and lots of people who might actually think this manager isn't any good don't want to be seen to be supporting the same thing as them this time around. The online version of them are also the reason loads of people don't bother coming on here any more.

FWIW I had the "pleasure" of listening to two absolute tossers yelling abuse at Jack Stephens on the weekend as they made their way out from the back of Northam Block 42 just because he happened to be the nearest player, handing his shirt to some kid. Given that he'd just kept a clean sheet, I can safely say they did not have a ferking clue what they were talking about.

Firstly you're deluded if you think people moaning got rid of Puel and secondly what did the oiks say when you pulled them about abusing Stephens ?

Edited by simo

'Fans like you that are encouraging the sleep walk with your false positivity' is of course blaming those fans, he loves to point the finger.

Yep I am blaming the fans - the ones that stick their heads in the sand - thankfully a minority. I am full of praise for most fans who continue to make good noise as they did v Stoke and the ones that go away.

Yep I am blaming the fans - the ones that stick their heads in the sand - thankfully a minority. I am full of praise for most fans who continue to make good noise as they did v Stoke and the ones that go away.

You are so confused. You weren't judging people on the amount of noise they made, but on whether their lack of protest gave tacit support to the management team. You said they were prolonging our current position, which is ********. The problems we have is down to MP, Reed, Kruger and Gao nothing to do with any fans you old fool.

It's quite arrogant of us to think we shouldn't get relegated tbh. Every year, the fans of 3 Premier League teams have to deal with the ignominy of being relegated to the Championship. Who's to say it shouldn't be us this year? Not a lot you can do about it, just buckle in and enjoy the ride.

You are so confused. You weren't judging people on the amount of noise they made, but on whether their lack of protest gave tacit support to the management team. You said they were prolonging our current position, which is ********. The problems we have is down to MP, Reed, Kruger and Gao nothing to do with any fans you old fool.

Thanks for the name calling.

Think we are going around in circles here but I think you read me wrong.

My gripe is solely against those who continue to think we are not in the mire because they then encourage the likes of Reed etc to think nothing needs addressing. I think you and me are are on the same page actually but something is getting lost in translation? Or there again I could be the old fool you called me. Jesus it's hard being a Saints fan.

Not condoning the actions of the West Ham fans but at least they show some passion for their club. We just seem to be content to let ourselves be ****ed over by the board, again.

That's the true "Southampton way"

We just don't have a fan base with a great deal of passion.

That's the true "Southampton way"

We just don't have a fan base with a great deal of passion.

Ok, I’ll bite. That’s rubbish and disproved over a generation, Branfoot protests, passionate to keep striving for St Mary’s being built, significantly increase in gates and away numbers following us since, Lowe protests, Doncaster game, Burnley game pitch invasion, Coventry game joyful pitch invasion. The fanbase has been worn down, me included by the slow insipid football from Puel and Pellegrino which has been the worst in 35 years as a fan. There is also real uncertainty about the owners.

I wouldn’t want to see the extremes of West Ham yesterday which was dangerous. However, our fans are too laid back this season. Best way to help challenge what we are seeing but help the players is to slow hand clap every time the players go into slow aimless possession mode. Not once but every time. But the counter is strong vocal encouragement when they play with bravery, try something even if it doesn’t come off, when they lift the tempo. That way, we take over setting the tone from Pellegrino and make him irrelevant. They’d have to be very ignorant as players not responding to SMS encouraging them at top volume.

I dont like protests or booing during a game, especially at this point in the season when we need every single point we can get.

However, not even the slightest chant or banner to get Pellegrino out after a game is strange. It's literally the only time you can actually make your voice heard to Les Reed and Kruger.