Newcastle v Saints - Pre Match Build Up

LGTL

Do wonder what it'd take for JWP to get in some people's teams. In a dire season of mass underperformance by good players, gross mismanagement, he's still been one of the better players. He isn't all set pieces, he's a decent passer and can chip in with the odd goal. If you're a side struggling for goals, with such fine margins, he needs to be in there.

We're ridiculously full of good midfield options for a team in a relegation fight, but thats Pellegrino for you. As much as I rate Hojbjerg, Romeu and Lemina, one has to miss out. I think all 3 is just too defensive. For me, one holding, and Lemina and JWP given more licence to get forward. JWP right central midfield lets him drift wider too.

Least then you can let the 3 attackers in front properly attack, whoever it is from Tadic, Boufal Redmond, Gabbiadini, Carrillo, Austin, Sims.

Fck me how are we in a relegation fight.

Do agree about JWP he is one of the few who have improved this season (Hojberg and Yoshida the others) and those three were all on the bench last match. What is going on?

This is the team we should be starting with! we looked so much better with Gabbiadini and Carrillo up top, it also gave Redmond and Sims more space out wide and something to aim for.

Redmond looked so much better when we reverted to this formation and even took on his man yesterday.59ca1c103a58a75416dbb9da89f158e7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I like the look of that team. Would be tempted to switch Redmond and Sims though.

I like the look of that team. Would be tempted to switch Redmond and Sims though.

I just can't fathom how MP hasn't worked out how much more effective Redmond is on the right. On saturday against Stoke, when Tadic went off and Redmond switched wings, within seconds he had made a brilliant run to the byline and put in a superb cross for Boufal who couldn't get his header on target.

Then factor in how we all know that Tadic is more effective on the left, it beggars belief that MP keeps starting them on the opposite sides.

I just can't fathom how MP hasn't worked out how much more effective Redmond is on the right. On saturday against Stoke, when Tadic went off and Redmond switched wings, within seconds he had made a brilliant run to the byline and put in a superb cross for Boufal who couldn't get his header on target.

Then factor in how we all know that Tadic is more effective on the left, it beggars belief that MP keeps starting them on the opposite sides.

One of the more obvious reasons why Pellegrino should be nowhere near managing our team he hasn’t worked out so many things it’s just plain rank incompetence....

I can't fathom it either. The only conclusion is that the clown is as thick as a stack of bricks.

Disagree. He played as well, if not better on the left on Saturday. Butland made his best save of the game with Redmond cutting inside and delivered a number of good crosses too.

I'd rest Tadic and Romeu.

McCarthy

Cedric Stephens Hoedt Bertrand

Lemina Hojbjerg

Sims JWP Redmond

Carrillo (possibly Gabbiadini)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Scrap JWP in that role and replace him with Gabbiadini who can play close to Carillo. I think JWP in that role just increases the backwards/sideways philosophy further up the pitch.

Do wonder what it'd take for JWP to get in some people's teams. In a dire season of mass underperformance by good players, gross mismanagement, he's still been one of the better players. He isn't all set pieces, he's a decent passer and can chip in with the odd goal. If you're a side struggling for goals, with such fine margins, he needs to be in there

Quite right. In 2018 he has made 8 appearances, scored four goals and got three assists. We know his limitations as a player but he should be the first name on the teamsheet with those stats!

Scrap JWP in that role and replace him with Gabbiadini who can play close to Carillo. I think JWP in that role just increases the backwards/sideways philosophy further up the pitch.
Don't think that would work. It's effectively going to 4-2-4. Far too open and we'd be overrun in midfield. We need a linking player. JWP can do that and he delivers a good dead ball and he's getting into scoring positions more and more.

Redmond has one reasonable game and he's straight back in? Bizarre

Would be hard not to contribute more than them. Our reliance on the trio of Tadic, Boufal and Redmond who are all good footballers but who create the square root of fu k all is in my view our biggest problem this season. Ackward passing, unwilling to beat their man, giving the ball away in midfield, all three are as bad as each h other. It may not look to exciting on paper but would rather go with Sims, JWP and Davo any time as AMs.

He had a really good game. Would be far more odd if he was dropped.

He was only 'really good' compared to the absolute dross he's been serving up. Still didn't attack with enough pace at times, but an improvement? Definitely. Can't shoot except straight at the keeper, though

McCarthy

Lemina Hojbjerg

Sims JWP Redmond

I’d make one change to that team with Gabbi instead of JWP just behind Carrillo. It won’t matter who starts though, our esteemed manager will send out an unmotivated side to play for a glorious 0-0 and we’ll lose two or three nil.

McCarthy

Lemina Hojbjerg

Sims JWP Redmond

Rest Tadic ? Wtf does he need a rest for ? Spends 20% of game time lying down !

Do wonder what it'd take for JWP to get in some people's teams. In a dire season of mass underperformance by good players, gross mismanagement, he's still been one of the better players. He isn't all set pieces, he's a decent passer and can chip in with the odd goal. If you're a side struggling for goals, with such fine margins, he needs to be in there.

We're ridiculously full of good midfield options for a team in a relegation fight, but thats Pellegrino for you. As much as I rate Hojbjerg, Romeu and Lemina, one has to miss out. I think all 3 is just too defensive. For me, one holding, and Lemina and JWP given more licence to get forward. JWP right central midfield lets him drift wider too.

Least then you can let the 3 attackers in front properly attack, whoever it is from Tadic, Boufal Redmond, Gabbiadini, Carrillo, Austin, Sims.

Fck me how are we in a relegation fight.

A tad contradictory - not ridiculously full of midfield options really after all.

Sold 1600 for this which is decent. Should be a good weekend, ruined by the result obviously.

The have a far, far, far better manager then us. If roles were reversed, we'd be 10th and they'd be 20 point adrift.

Newcastle 2-0 Saints

We'd be 5th. ;)

A tad contradictory - not ridiculously full of midfield options really after all.

We are ridiculously full of midfield options, just not "good" midfield options. We've become noticeably better at not conceding goals since Lemina came back in for the overrated Hojbjerg too. We could do worse than going back to a conventional 4231 with Romeu and Ward-Prowse sitting and playing Lemina in the hole where he might actually attack the box.

We are ridiculously full of midfield options, just not "good" midfield options. We've become noticeably better at not conceding goals since Lemina came back in for the overrated Hojbjerg too. We could do worse than going back to a conventional 4231 with Romeu and Ward-Prowse sitting and playing Lemina in the hole where he might actually attack the box.

So you note that we have become better defensively since Lemina came back, yet want to remove him from the holding role, desoite the fact JWP is shocking defensively :lol:

Also, we've been playing a variation of 4231 all season (as we did last season as well), it's not working. But that's what we'll keep as it's Les' preferred formation :)

So you note that we have become better defensively since Lemina came back, yet want to remove him from the holding role, desoite the fact JWP is shocking defensively :lol:

Also, we've been playing a variation of 4231 all season (as we did last season as well), it's not working. But that's what we'll keep as it's Les' preferred formation :)

Let him off, I’m guessing by his post time and some of his posts, he’d been on the sauce, I hope so anyway.

Yep. A lot of things that fans either knew at the start of the season, or realised after a few weeks, he still doesn't seem to have cottoned on to. Not sure if it's being stubborn or being clueless, but neither is good news for us.

Steven Davis and Maya Yoshida will not be travelling with the Saints squad to Newcastle this weekend, Mauricio Pellegrino has today confirmed.

Neither have recovered in time for Saturday's trip to St James' Park, and will continue with their rehab work back at Staplewood.

Long-term absentee Charlie Austin is also making progress, but again won't feature, as Saints attempt to put distance between themselves and the Premier League drop zone.

"Davo continues with his treatment," Pellegrino commented. "Last week he felt something more in his hamstring, so he will be unavailable for another week.

"Also Charlie [Austin] and Maya [Yoshida], will be the other players that are out this weekend."

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-03-08/team-news-southampton-newcastle-premier-league-mauricio-pellegrino

'Both teams need to win' - Pellegrino

Newcastle v Southampton (Saturday 15:00 GMT)

Southampton

Saints boss Mauricio Pellegrino with some thoughts on Saturday's opponents Newcastle, who are one place - and one point - above them in 16th. "They are a very compact team, their fans always lift the team," he says. "They will be difficult to manage. Really good defensively and on the counter. But I think we are in a good moment and our players have been training very well, it will be a tough game for Newcastle too.

"It is interesting because both teams need to win. I can’t imagine they will be comfortable with just one point."

Unlike you MoPe :x

I think keeping Shelvey quiet is key to keeping Newcastle quiet. They rely on him to create and haven't got much else to worry teams at this level (apart from perhaps set pieces, given our aerial weakness).

If we get a grip of midfield then I fancy us to win.

I'd be tempted to start Long upfront for this one instead of Carillo to give us that bit more pace in behind.