Newcastle v Saints - Pre Match Build Up

LGTL

I think keeping Shelvey quiet is key to keeping Newcastle quiet. They rely on him to create and haven't got much else to worry teams at this level (apart from perhaps set pieces, given our aerial weakness).

If we get a grip of midfield then I fancy us to win.

I'd be tempted to start Long upfront for this one instead of Carillo to give us that bit more pace in behind.

He's out apparently...

I think keeping Shelvey quiet is key to keeping Newcastle quiet. They rely on him to create and haven't got much else to worry teams at this level (apart from perhaps set pieces, given our aerial weakness).

Lascelles is a threat at corners and free kicks

If we get a grip of midfield then I fancy us to win.

I'd be tempted to start Long upfront for this one instead of Carillo to give us that bit more pace in behind.

He's injured.

One for the stattos - when was the last time in the Premier League that we went the whole season without having won against one of the promoted teams?

We're on 5 draws at the moment, so this is our last chance.

Surely that can't ever have happened before? Yet another Saints PL record for MP to put on his Mum's fridge.

Bizarrely I feel quite optimistic about this one. We're so much better away from home. I reckon we'll thrash them 1-1.

All from this thread...

cartoon-record-player-wavey-vinyl.gif

We won one league game in 2018, and only 5 the whole season, our record at St James Park (and in the North East in general) is atrocious.

I'd say he's not a broken record, he's actually very likely to be right.

We won one league game in 2018, and only 5 the whole season, our record at St James Park (and in the North East in general) is atrocious.

To say it once in a thread is perhaps understandable, to repeat it multiple times throughout every match thread warrants a broken record comparison.

Any pub suggestions, haven’t been there for years. Looking for Real Ale in the day & grab a granny at night. Don’t want to be drowning my sorrows sat night with a load of nippers & Shiite music.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love it!!! How every away day should be

Any pub suggestions, haven’t been there for years. Looking for Real Ale in the day & grab a granny at night. Don’t want to be drowning my sorrows sat night with a load of nippers & Shiite music.

Try Bodega on Westgate Road pre-match. Good ale, will be plenty of Saints.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just looked at the other fixtures and this might be a great opportunity to pull away from the bottom three. With Palace playing Chelsea, Stoke playing City and Huddersfieldand Swansea playing each other, a win would mean we would definitely jump up two places and a very possible 4 point cushion over the bottom three.

Massive, massive game. Win and we go into the next few away games with confidence and less pressure which could be vital.

Just looked at the other fixtures and this might be a great opportunity to pull away from the bottom three. With Palace playing Chelsea, Stoke playing City and Huddersfieldand Swansea playing each other, a win would mean we would definitely jump up two places and a very possible 4 point cushion over the bottom three.

Massive, massive game. Win and we go into the next few away games with confidence and less pressure which could be vital.

Beating Stoke last week would have pretty much had the same outcome.

Rafa will have too much tactical awareness for Coco to cope with

'Both teams need to win' - Pellegrino

Newcastle v Southampton (Saturday 15:00 GMT)

Southampton

Saints boss Mauricio Pellegrino with some thoughts on Saturday's opponents Newcastle, who are one place - and one point - above them in 16th. "They are a very compact team, their fans always lift the team," he says. "They will be difficult to manage. Really good defensively and on the counter. But I think we are in a good moment and our players have been training very well, it will be a tough game for Newcastle too.

"It is interesting because both teams need to win. I can’t imagine they will be comfortable with just one point."

I am reading this as 'but we will be'

We are going to try to control the game with possession near the halfway line.

I don't think we are going to try to score a goal, unless we go one down.

Very good effort by those of you travelling all the way up there to support the team, you all deserve so much better from this Goon of a Manager.

Edited by Kingsbridge Saint

Our record in the north east over the years has been pretty good relative to our general away form.

Every game I try and get my hopes up, every game I end up more disappointed.

Beating Stoke last week would have pretty much had the same outcome.

Rafa will have too much tactical awareness for Coco to cope with

This. Yes, a win against Newcastle would be a huge result, but I was saying this last week before the Stoke game, and before the Burnley draw and before the Palace defeat etc etc We deserve to be where we are because we can't even beat the crap teams, WBA aside. I'd love us to beat Newcastle, and I'd love us to beat West Ham even more, but winning twice in a row? With Pellegrino as manager and only 5 wins all season? Nah, ain't happening. I would take 4 points from the next two if you offered it. Games are running out, and draws aren't going to save us.

There isn't a great deal of confidence on their side if my Geordie mates are anything to go by. I thought the saints players really gave it their ll in the second half last week and the squad looks pretty united to me. If they can take that desire and effort from the second half into this game then we have a decent chance. Our situation is perilous, but they usually give us some hope at least...

There isn't a great deal of confidence on their side if my Geordie mates are anything to go by. I thought the saints players really gave it their ll in the second half last week and the squad looks pretty united to me. If they can take that desire and effort from the second half into this game then we have a decent chance. Our situation is perilous, but they usually give us some hope at least...

Trouble is, I've lost count of the number of games where the desire and effort from a second half performance has not been carried forward to the first half of the next game. Therein lies the story of our season... Performing for 45 minutes rather than 90 for the majority of games (and after each game a different player is wheeled out to say: "we must learn from this and carry it forward to the next game")

Edited by trousers

Why does everyone keep saying we are better away than at home?

I am pretty sure our points per game away are less than our points per game at home.

Therefore it's irrelevant where we are in the home and away tables...the fact is we are likely to get less points in our remaining fixtures than if we had more home games left...

Why does everyone keep saying we are better away than at home?

I am pretty sure our points per game away are less than our points per game at home.

Therefore it's irrelevant where we are in the home and away tables...the fact is we are likely to get less points in our remaining fixtures than if we had more home games left...

Doesn’t it depend on who we’ve got home & away. City & Chelsea are clearly harder games than Everton, Leicester, West Ham & Newcastle.

We’ve been decent in the North East since we got promoted, aside from that Fox/Hooiveld ‘mare in our first season back up.

Doesn’t it depend on who we’ve got home & away. City & Chelsea are clearly harder games than Everton, Leicester, West Ham & Newcastle.

It depends which way you look at it...Those teams also get far more points at home than they do away. For example I think Everton get nearly four times the points per game at home than they do away....

The issue we have is we don't get a point per game home or away and that's relegation form...obviously if we can get a win in any of those four, it gives us a chance but with just two wins away this season..it's not a high probability.

It depends which way you look at it...Those teams also get far more points at home than they do away. For example I think Everton get nearly four times the points per game at home than they do away....

The issue we have is we don't get a point per game home or away and that's relegation form...obviously if we can get a win in any of those four, it gives us a chance but with just two wins away this season..it's not a high probability.

All teams get more points at home than away. In relative terms you have a point with Everton and Leicester, West Ham less so, Newcastle not really. Saturday’s match represents arguably our best opportunity for 3 points.

http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england

We're at exactly a point per game at home (16 from 16) and one under away (12 from 13).

Considering the teams we have left it's not unlikely we'll finish with more points from away matches then home matches.

That’s the last team we lost to them.

All of our recent trips NE have been decent. Won at Boro and Sunderland last year, think we beat Sunderland with a late penalty the year before, there was the year Eljero Elia scored two at SJP, a draw at Sunderland which basically ensure our safety first season and I think another 1-1 at Newcastle one year. Not too shabby overall.

Atta boy! Keep the faith...

I don't know about others, but I'm really up for this match. I've just a funny feeling we are going to absolutely smash them.

Yes, I will shortly go take some medication.

Never ever forget when you said the same about the WBA game last season......

I think you are deluded believing we will smash anyone

We’re due to deliver a good smashing. Wouldn’t it be nice to win a PL game comfortably, for once. Hasn’t really happened since the Everton game.

Just listened to the latest episode of the football ramble. Basically, we are a terrible side and would be an appalling result for Newcastle to lose at home against us

Harry’s bar is great for a mixed age group and Hoochiecoochies though both need to be smart casual...

See ya there....

Rafa Benitez managing Saints = fighting for upper mid table

Rafa Benitez managing Newcastle = reasonable chance of staying up

Mauricio Pellegrino managing Saints = struggling to stay up

Mauricio Pellegrino managing Newcastle = relegated

rafael-benitez-dan-mauricio-pellegrino_20171015_102925.jpg

The look on Benitez’s face is saying “How did I end up with this dipstick”

All teams get more points at home than away. In relative terms you have a point with Everton and Leicester, West Ham less so, Newcastle not really. Saturday’s match represents arguably our best opportunity for 3 points.

http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england

Yes all teams get more points at home than away..that's exactly my point...we would be better off with home games than away games.

You're welcome. I'll be in there at some point.

If you see a fat bald headed bearded bloke come over and say hi. You can't miss me, I've got "Puel 8th" on the back of my shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

If you see a fat bald headed bearded bloke come over and say hi. You can't miss me, I've got "Puel 8th" on the back of my shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can match your fat and bald but not the beard. Will be wearing current home shirt. May not be sober.