2 forwards have to start

Batman

Surely for the next games against the sides around us.

That may not mean the old fashioned 442 but surely we need to get another striker on the pitch

I'd start with long and Gabbiadini. Long covers a lot of grass and is probably more effective in the air than the awful Carrillo.

Just sticking with the same set up is failing miserably. MP won't do this though

Won’t happen, listen to his interview with Solent last night. All he said about two up front was that Stoke had their best chance when we tried that crazy tactic. He won’t make that mistake again !

Cowardly Manager, frightened of his own shadow. And don’t forget a draw is as good as a win in MP world !!

It was Carrillo's intelligent knock down that got us a point at Burnley. Don't get the hate for him at all. Gabbiadini and Long together would be a disaster.
He was crap yesterday and largely crap since he arrived. Guess my expectations of our most expensive signing in our history would be better than getting owned by Stoke City

It was Carrillo's intelligent knock down that got us a point at Burnley. Don't get the hate for him at all. Gabbiadini and Long together would be a disaster.

i agree, I think he works hard and has a bit of a football brain. Just can’t see him scoring many unfortunately

more effective in the air than the awful Carrillo.

Really...? :? An inconvenient truth for you...

- Guido Carrillo is averaging winning 6.4 aerial duels per Premier League game in 2017/18

- Shane Long is averaging winning 2.2 aerial duels per Premier League game in 2017/18

- Charlie Austin is averaging winning 1.6 aerial duels per Premier League game in 2017/18

- Manolo Gabbiadini is averaging winning 0.5 aerial duels per Premier League game in 2017/18

- Graziano Pelle averaged winning 3.7 aerial duels per Premier League game in his last season at Saints in 2015/16

- Rickie Lambert averaged winning 1.8 aerial duels per Premier League game in his last season at Saints in 2013/14

Edited by Matthew Le God

He was crap yesterday and largely crap since he arrived. Guess my expectations of our most expensive signing in our history would be better than getting owned by Stoke City

Not true, once he had sims around him at the start of the 2nd (then Gabbi) he started to look more useful. The key is having a 2nd striker in and around him.

Don’t get me wrong he ain’t brilliant but can do a job. If Pellegrino can just learn from the last 25 mins and play that shape from the start against the alsorans and leave the 1 up front for the top 6 teams we will be ok I think. Just don’t think he will.

And for exactly that reason, I foolishly expected us to start against Stoke with Carrillo and Gabbiadini playing up front together. Just shows how totally lacking in football knowledge I am...

I mean, why would I think us playing two up front together, and resulting in a goal, actually mean we would try it again...

I’ve been saying all season we need to play two forwards, especially against the poorer sides, but no, our goon of a manager wants to play defensive and stop the opposition from having a look in.

The game that summed up how much of a boring tw*t our current incumbent I’d was the Brighton game. They were shocking, there for the taking, and we played ultra defensive against them. Clueless buffoon.

I wouldn't take it out on him, it's not his fault that Monaco pulled our pants down over his transfer, direct your fire at the people at SFC who put us in the position to get our pants pulled down in the first place.

IMO Carillo looks OK, not a world beater but with some decent support and a regular strike partner (not going to happen with the current manager I'll admit) he'd be OK.

Shame Gallagher is out on loan though as he could have filled the Carillo role in the first place, another cock up from those incharge.

Long is not more effective than anyone at anything.
Yes he is. For example, pace, chasing lost causes, holding the ball up. Decent in the air, can put in a decent cross. But don't ask him to score goals.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I refer you to post 8 in this thread.
I saw that. But could those stats be misleading, given that Carrillo has played full games, and others on the list, in the seasons you've used, I would guess were not getting many minutes per game on the pitch.

He wasn't...just because he is the managers pick doesn't mean he shouldn't get a fair review. He won several headers and linked well with Sims.

Stoke defenders are beasts but he battled alone. How many games has he had chance to form any sort of partnership with this coward of a manager?

He hasnt missed anything clear cut like Boufal yesterday and we should pair him with Gabbi rather than the useless Tadic to get best of him.

He isnt worth 20m but we know that it's what we had to pay to support the manager.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I saw that. But could those stats be misleading, given that Carrillo has played full games, and others on the list, in the seasons you've used, I would guess were not getting many minutes per game on the pitch.

The stats are averages per game, so it doesn't matter how long they were playing for. It is an average per 90 minutes.

Long is not more effective than anyone at anything.
He almost single handedly got us a win away at Watford ( until the inept officials allowed an illegal equaliser in the dying seconds)

Edit: needed to put a space between the bracket and 'until') !!

Edited by trousers

Acceleration, pace, work rate/closing down... not many (if any) better at those in our squad.

He almost single handedly got us a win away at Watford ( until the inept officials allowed an illegal equaliser in the dying seconds)

Edit: needed to put a space between the bracket and 'until') !!

Yes he is. For example, pace, chasing lost causes, holding the ball up. Decent in the air, can put in a decent cross. But don't ask him to score goals.

He’s a striker with 1 goal in over a year of football.

They’re called lost causes for a reason. Running around after defenders might scare a few League 1 teams but Premier League defenders are too good for all that.

He runs around, can’t shoot, control the ball and is always offside.

Won’t happen, listen to his interview with Solent last night. All he said about two up front was that Stoke had their best chance when we tried that crazy tactic. He won’t make that mistake again !

Cowardly Manager, frightened of his own shadow. And don’t forget a draw is as good as a win in MP world !!

I don’t think it will happen for this reason. It’s a shame, we actually looked like an attacking force in the second half after Gabbiadini came on.

I am also a little worried that Long will be ahead of Gabbiadini in Pellegrino’s depth chart again, now he’s got some game time under his belt following his injury.

We haven’t lost an away game since Boxing Day, yet with 3 away games coming up in a row, the football experts on here want us to change our style of play. Genius.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s shocking that some of us want Pellegrino to try and win games against beatable opponents rather than set the team up for yet another draw.

We haven’t lost an away game since Boxing Day, yet with 3 away games coming up in a row, the football experts on here want us to change our style of play. Genius.

How many wins do you think we are going to get in the next month?

It’s shocking that some of us want Pellegrino to try and win games against beatable opponents rather than set the team up for yet another draw.

What’s shocking is people not acknowledging the improvement in our away performances and results since Boxing Day. If we pick up the same number of draws & wins in our remaining 6 away games as in the last six, we’ll end up with 40 points even if we lose every home game. But yeah, let’s change our style.

What’s shocking is people not acknowledging the improvement in our away performances and results since Boxing Day. If we pick up the same number of draws & wins in our remaining 6 away games as in the last six, we’ll end up with 40 points even if we lose every home game. But yeah, let’s change our style.

I agree, its the home games that are costing us big time by playing the way we are.

You’re a strange individual. You will honestly look for anything to argue with (are you seriously happy with how we’ve played this season!?).

You’re a strange individual. You will honestly look for anything to argue with (are you seriously happy with how we’ve played this season!?).

Talk about reading things that aren’t there. Where have I said I’m happy with how we’ve played this season. I’m making the perfectly reasonable point that being unbeaten away from home since Boxing Day now is not the time to change our style of play away from home.

Of course had things worked out as you hoped, we would have lost an away game this year.

Talk about reading things that aren’t there. Where have I said I’m happy with how we’ve played this season. I’m making the perfectly reasonable point that being unbeaten away from home since Boxing Day now is not the time to change our style of play away from home.

Of course had things worked out as you hoped, we would have lost an away game this year.

How many have we won? This is a very winnable game, one of only a few we have left, but no, let’s play for a draw again :lol:

Burnley were there for the taking, we were lucky to scrape a draw.

You clearly have difficulty with facts getting in the way of your prejudiced.

I’m not sure about your numbers there. Our last six PL away games have featured a narrow victory over the worst team in the league, draws against Burnley, Watford and Man U, a thrashing against Spurs and a loss against Chelsea. Six points will take us to a total of 34, and probable relegation unless we can get something out of our three home games, where we play City, Chelsea and Bournemouth, and where we have not won in the PL in 2018.

Your numbers only make sense if you have included our FA Cup away victories against W.Brom and Fulham. I certainly agree if we get to play a Championship side and W.Brom again in the PL, we might have a shot against beating them using Pellegrino’s risk-adverse, defence-first system. Although given the way Fulham are playing right now, they would probably fancy a rematch against us.

You clearly have difficulty with facts getting in the way of your prejudiced.

Not at all. If we’d been winning our home games I could understand this argument. However we haven’t and we’ve left ourselves in a position where we need to win these ‘6 pointers’. I’m sorry, but given our last couple of fixtures, 2 points from Newcastle and West Ham will not be enough.

How many have we won? This is a very winnable game, one of only a few we have left, but no, let’s play for a draw again :lol:

Burnley were there for the taking, we were lucky to scrape a draw.

And we were unlucky to only draw with Watford.

Which ever way you look at it, our away form is ok at the moment. Certainly good enough not to tear up the formation we’ve been using all season, to appease a forum. If Redmond and Sims play like they did yesterday our formation will give us more chance of winning at Newcastle than a 4-4-2.

wN3ZFQf.png

Duckhunter does have a point to be fair...

The only table that matters is the one that has us 17th, 1 point above the drop zone. We need wins to stay up, especially against the teams around us.

Not at all. If we’d been winning our home games I could understand this argument. However we haven’t and we’ve left ourselves in a position where we need to win these ‘6 pointers’. I’m sorry, but given our last couple of fixtures, 2 points from Newcastle and West Ham will not be enough.

You seem to have trouble understanding. Nobody is suggesting we play for draws , lots of sides play without 2 strikers and it’s not negative. 4-4-2 can be more negative if you just sit with 2 banks of 4. Saturday we didn’t set up to draw, Tadic, Sims and Redmond behind 1 up top is not negative, doing the same at Newcastle is not negative. I blame that ****ing dinosaur Merrington, going on about 2 up top all the time. This forums caught his disease.

And we were unlucky to only draw with Watford.

Which ever way you look at it, our away form is ok at the moment. Certainly good enough not to tear up the formation we’ve been using all season, to appease a forum. If Redmond and Sims play like they did yesterday our formation will give us more chance of winning at Newcastle than a 4-4-2.

Fair enough, if that’s your opinion. Personally, I think if we’re going to get the best out of Carrillo we need to play someone in the ‘10’ with a bit of pace who is willing to run in behind and play off him. If that’s Gabbi, Redmond, of Boufal I don’t mind, but given our remaining fixtures (most away from home) and our current position, we need to set up to win these next 2 games.

You seem to have trouble understanding. Nobody is suggesting we play for draws , lots of sides play without 2 strikers and it’s not negative. 4-4-2 can be more negative if you just sit with 2 banks of 4. Saturday we didn’t set up to draw, Tadic, Sims and Redmond behind 1 up top is not negative, doing the same at Newcastle is not negative. I blame that ****ing dinosaur Merrington, going on about 2 up top all the time. This forums caught his disease.

When did the OP mention 442 btw?

4231 with Gabbi / Boufal / Redmond in the 10 would be an improvement. Or The diamond,352 or 343 (we don’t currently have the CBs to play 3 at the back yet though).. a number of differ ways to try and change your approach to games.

Edited by SKD

Fair enough, if that’s your opinion. Personally, I think if we’re going to get the best out of Carrillo we need to play someone in the ‘10’ with a bit of pace who is willing to run in behind and play off him. If that’s Gabbi, Redmond, of Boufal I don’t mind, but given our remaining fixtures (most away from home) and our current position, we need to set up to win these next 2 games.

We set up with a 10 in our present formation. Playing with a 10 isn’t 2 up top.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

We set up with a 10 in our present formation. Playing with a 10 isn’t 2 up top, which is what is being called for on this thread.

That's right. I think the problem is we haven't got a true 10 in the squad. Won't be popular, but I think JWP is the best option.

We set up with a 10 in our present formation. Playing with a 10 isn’t 2 up top, which is what is being called for on this thread.

No it’s not.... he’s said 2 forwards, not specifically 442. We do play a 10, but that’s usually a CM or Tadic, who has no pace and offers very little in behind and is best on the left wing.