Why do you think he has not been sacked yet?

Pilchards

Spot on imo

All these conspiracy theories are nonsense, as is this nonsense that we’re somehow arrogant or complacent.

I would imagine that Reed has taken soundings from the senior pros, watched training first hand, been around the first team squad, and thinks Pell can turn it round and be a better option than gambling on bringing someone in. It’s a judgement call he’s made with more facts & behind the scene insights than we’ve got. Whether it’s the right call is another matter.

One thing for sure, Pell must be seriously impressive off the pitch to have survived these results so long. There does also appear to be little noise or criticism coming out of the club, no rumours of player unrest or “lost the dressing room” type of stuff. But it will be pretty remarkable if Pell somehow does a Lawrie and wins us round after an awful first campaign. So remarkable, that I really can’t remember another manager who has done so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is pretty much it - From what I'm led to believe the players do like him and he has the backing from the dressing room (unlike Puel and to a much smaller degree Koeman).

Unfortunately that doesn't make him a successful manager and surly results show this.

You don’t buy a Premier League club in order to make money. You buy it for prestige.

Tell that to the Liebherrs.....(although I do concede they will be in a truly small minority of football club owners).

Equally, maybe he bought it as a very public way of extracting money from China, without the hoops that he would normally have to go through.

Who knows. It doesn't make a lot of sense in any direction at the moment.

When you say 'only option' do you mean the only option which we wouldn't have to pay money for?

I don't specifically know about this part, all I was told was pretty much as I said (we were left with either MP or FDB, who we'd previously decided, the summer before, he wasn't for us).

However, history shows, for one reason or another, under Les' leadership we like to appoint managers who are not at a club... so I wouldn't be surprised.

Looking at the only feasible reasons:

1. No realistic / better alternatives - Our own fault, he should have gone 3 months ago when we would have had a good chance to replace him.

2. The board (Les) do not want to admit they made a mistake and are letting their 'ego' get in the way of business decisions.

3. The Board believe that he is the right man to take us forward and that he's just been unlucky

All point to incompetency at board level.

This is a very fair assessment. The one I hate is number two. He thinks he is being 'honourable' and Pellegrino thinks he is managing Barcelona. I am afraid any hopes that our owner might be able to see through this are pie in the sky, especially when he is actually making good on his debt with the sale of VVD, and likely sell off of players next season under the excuse cloak of them no longer wanting to be here, plus the parachute payments. He makes money either way so may not be too fussed. But yes, incompetency at board level looks very likely indeed.

Has anyone wondered whether the stadium itself might have something to do with the poor home form? It is a pretty soulless and uninspiring place without the intimidating atmosphere that would often unsettle opponents at The Dell. Visiting supporters get a prime position from which to get behind their team and the pitch is normally excellent. There's also the fact that Saints players rarely even visit the place.

Just a thought to throw into the mix.

Has anyone wondered whether the stadium itself might have something to do with the poor home form? It is a pretty soulless and uninspiring place without the intimidating atmosphere that would often unsettle opponents at The Dell. Visiting supporters get a prime position from which to get behind their team and the pitch is normally excellent. There's also the fact that Saints players rarely even visit the place.

Just a thought to throw into the mix.

What doesn't help is fans being pretty quick to get on the backs of players and booing when the keeper waits a millisecond before deciding who to throw/pass it out to. the impatience does translate to the players, which is why they seem a bit freer and better away from home imo. that and the away support (us) generally being a bit more enthusiastic. Oh well. Pellegrino is clearly here for good. I just wish he had some cojones.

Because they want to be able to shout from the rooftops - if we stay up - about how loyal and well run we are, giving the manager the chance to save the squad.

Given how absolutely unresponsive they've been so far this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see him carry on next year if we stay up - we'll act like he's achieved some sort of miracle.

You don’t buy a Premier League club in order to make money. You buy it for prestige.

Or influence. It has been mentioned that Gao is keen on developing the areas around St.Marys. If he, as a random Chinese businessman, attempted to do that himself, he may struggle. I'd bet it's a lot easier as the owner of Southampton FC and as part of your commitment to keeping the football club in the City.

The decision, or gamble perhaps, is whether the club is still valuable and influential enough as a Championship club to make that plan work.

If we go down. Les can say that the manager was the leak wink rather deflecting the fact that we have sold our best players and replaced them with inadequate ones. It will be easier to admit the mistake of the manager over the course of one year, rather than the complacency that set in around three years ago and that I warned of.

It cracks me up that you seem to think you were the only one that saw all this coming, there were loads of people that warned about this...loads.

They were still in the minority, but to think you had the monopoly on foresight is arrogant as f88k.

If we can survive this season I honestly believe Reed has lined up a top promising manager for next season as they will have money to spend, A top fast winger coming in from Russia plus some good youngsters from our academy.

The more I think it the more it feels right than Eddie Howe will join us next season IF we survive relegation.

What is your reason why this muppet has not been sacked yet?

Not sure we will have money to spend - we will lose upwards of £15 million in prize money alone compared to last season.

I'm also not convinced we will sign him if we do somehow stay up - guess we will find out by august 9th.

No idea why you would think Eddie howe would leave Bournemouth to come to Saints.

Spot on imo

All these conspiracy theories are nonsense, as is this nonsense that we’re somehow arrogant or complacent.

Maybe I am being a bit thick but that doesn't make sense to me?

If as you say Reed has been talking with the pros, watches training and uses that as belief he will turn it around that is not only arrogance but delusion. If what is happening on the training pitch is making its way onto the match pitch that shows the training is all wrong.

On top of that if a director is keeping someone on because they are liked by the staff and are a decent person even though their personal performance is shocking then demote them to a coach. But seeing as how basically everyone has under performed this season can you honestly say he would make a good one of those?

As for the nobody available thing that is a load of ****. I can't remember where I saw it but someone was talking about rather than buying Carillo put that money into offering a top manager the job. Based on performance until the end of the season. If they keep you up give them a £5m bonus. With the squad as it was many top managers would want that. A half decent manager would have kept us up comfortably if they were appointed at xmas.

Although unlikely we could find ourselves back in the bottom three today. We then have two away games at Newcastle and West Ham where we have to pick up wins because after that we play Arsenal away and Chelsea at home. Lose to Newcastle and they go 4 points clear of us. Then lose to West Ham and they go 5 points clear of us.

Point being no matter how good behind closed doors someone is, no matter how nice a person they are, they are being paid a lot of money to win games. He has a 17% win ratio. He isn't winning games.

Which asks the OP question why is he still here? The person who has the power to sack him is ignoring the horrific results, the poor performances and the bad atmosphere at the games because MP is a decent chap and the players like him? As long as we have a decent chap who is liked it doesn't matter the results or what league we are in? That just doesn't cut it for me.

As others have pointed out its most likely due to Reed not wanting to admit his mistakes. He has backed himself into a corner with his decisions and rather than hold his hands up and say hey I got it wrong, we all make mistakes etc he has decided that going the route we have is the best way. But the best way for who? The players who are under performing? The staff that MP brought in? The fans? Its the best way for himself.

Maybe I am being a bit thick but that doesn't make sense to me?

If as you say Reed has been talking with the pros, watches training and uses that as belief he will turn it around that is not only arrogance but delusion. If what is happening on the training pitch is making its way onto the match pitch that shows the training is all wrong.

On top of that if a director is keeping someone on because they are liked by the staff and are a decent person even though their personal performance is shocking then demote them to a coach. But seeing as how basically everyone has under performed this season can you honestly say he would make a good one of those?

As for the nobody available thing that is a load of ****. I can't remember where I saw it but someone was talking about rather than buying Carillo put that money into offering a top manager the job. Based on performance until the end of the season. If they keep you up give them a £5m bonus. With the squad as it was many top managers would want that. A half decent manager would have kept us up comfortably if they were appointed at xmas.

Although unlikely we could find ourselves back in the bottom three today. We then have two away games at Newcastle and West Ham where we have to pick up wins because after that we play Arsenal away and Chelsea at home. Lose to Newcastle and they go 4 points clear of us. Then lose to West Ham and they go 5 points clear of us.

Point being no matter how good behind closed doors someone is, no matter how nice a person they are, they are being paid a lot of money to win games. He has a 17% win ratio. He isn't winning games.

Which asks the OP question why is he still here? The person who has the power to sack him is ignoring the horrific results, the poor performances and the bad atmosphere at the games because MP is a decent chap and the players like him? As long as we have a decent chap who is liked it doesn't matter the results or what league we are in? That just doesn't cut it for me.

As others have pointed out its most likely due to Reed not wanting to admit his mistakes. He has backed himself into a corner with his decisions and rather than hold his hands up and say hey I got it wrong, we all make mistakes etc he has decided that going the route we have is the best way. But the best way for who? The players who are under performing? The staff that MP brought in? The fans? Its the best way for himself.

Excellent post.

I wonder if Reed has got a sniff of something from the new owners which leads him to believe he wont be here next season ?

If that was the case it would explain why he seemingly doesnt give a **** about whats going on now !

What doesn't help is fans being pretty quick to get on the backs of players and booing when the keeper waits a millisecond before deciding who to throw/pass it out to. the impatience does translate to the players, which is why they seem a bit freer and better away from home imo. that and the away support (us) generally being a bit more enthusiastic. Oh well. Pellegrino is clearly here for good. I just wish he had some cojones.

Is waiting three months for a home win impatient???

I think that maybe there is the misplaced belief that "we're too good to go down"!!

I think you're spot on with this comment. I really don't want to dig out a young player and particularly one I like and who I am glad is in the team. Josh Sims actually said this on his MOTD interview on Saturday night. I could only cringe at the arrogance of it, even if you believe it you do not say that on national TV. I just hope it does not come back and bite the poor young lad on the arse. :mcinnes:

Seriously the guy is a complete joke and I really do think Reed knows this by now.

Yes he might be Mr nice guy but it’s a result business and Pellegrino has not delivered.

If we can survive this season I honestly believe Reed has lined up a top promising manager for next season as they will have money to spend, A top fast winger coming in from Russia plus some good youngsters from our academy.

The more I think it the more it feels right than Eddie Howe will join us next season IF we survive relegation.

It's probably because we got rid of Puel, on a knee jerk, and look where it got us.

They say be careful what you wish for and, lets be honest, could we improve on him considering where we are and what we have to offer?

I think that maybe there is the misplaced belief that "we're too good to go down"!! Fine if that is the case (which is of course taking way way way too much for granted), but what about next year?

”we’re too good etc”. I think the majority of the players think the same. Young Sims said near the exact same when interviewed after the game! We’re too good to where we are” wtf! You are where you are because are NOT as good as you think you are!

It cracks me up that you seem to think you were the only one that saw all this coming, there were loads of people that warned about this...loads.

They were still in the minority, but to think you had the monopoly on foresight is arrogant as f88k.

There were a few...not loads. Admittedly I was one of the few.

”we’re too good etc”. I think the majority of the players think the same. Young Sims said near the exact same when interviewed after the game! We’re too good to where we are” wtf! You are where you are because are NOT as good as you think you are!

TBH, most of the fans were saying that at the start of this season.

I think you're spot on with this comment. I really don't want to dig out a young player and particularly one I like and who I am glad is in the team. Josh Sims actually said this on his MOTD interview on Saturday night. I could only cringe at the arrogance of it, even if you believe it you do not say that on national TV. I just hope it does not come back and bite the poor young lad on the arse. :mcinnes:

Agree, it did come across as arrogance, especially coming from a kid who has barely managed a handful of Prem apps so far in his career.

I just hope his words came out wrong and that is not the attitude of the players in general.

I don’t buy the blame VVD excuses, or the “we’re improving’ line, because the former excuse is feeble and results belie the latter. For me it’s a combination of...

a) Institutional arrogance, a “we’re too good to change managers mid season” attitude.

b) A concern that another failed managerial regime will make the board and Les in particular look bad.

c) A misplaced belief that Pellegrino would learn the ropes and improve as a manager, notwithstanding evidence to the contrary.

d) A blind belief that results will improve based on good team morale, good training sessions, and decent performances during portions of some games.

e) A desire to wait until summer to find a new manager when there are more alternatives, and when Les can employ the same, full, exhaustive recruitment process that worked so well the last time.

f) At this point in the season with 9 games left it must feel like they have reached a point of no return. There’s not a lot of alternatives out there. I can’t see Silva wanting to come here. The noises made in the press don’t sound too promising. He’s probably getting paid a termination fee by Watford, and as Allardyce looks increasingly likely to get sacked at the end of the season, Silva is probably awaiting a phone call from the illustrious, dugout pioneering team from the blue half of Merseyside.

We would have been more attractive to credible alternatives back in December, with a more games ahead of us, a better league position to work from and a full transfer window to recruit targets endorsed by the new manager. It’s an opportunity missed, leaving us in the present sorry position.

We’re stuck with Pellegrino until the end of the season unless things go even more pear-shaped than they already are. The best alternative for the supporters is to get behind the team, which is looking increasingly nervous, and get behind Pellegrino until we reach mathematical safety.

Playing devil's advocate here but maybe he's not been sacked because he's not doing that much wrong.

Despite all that boring sideways and backwards passing we are 8th in the shots on goal table, 11th in shots on target and 12th in goals scored. And we are 12th in goals conceded. So it could be argued his tactics are not the problem. We are doing enough to be comfortably were we would have expected to be when the season started. Except convert enough of our chances. Can he really blamed for the fact that whatever combination of forward(s)and attacking midfielders he selects, between them they don't seem to have the ability to hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Looking at the only feasible reasons:

1. No realistic / better alternatives - Our own fault, he should have gone 3 months ago when we would have had a good chance to replace him.

2. The board (Les) do not want to admit they made a mistake and are letting their 'ego' get in the way of business decisions.

3. The Board believe that he is the right man to take us forward and that he's just been unlucky

All point to incompetency at board level.

I think these are the main reasons. I also think the board are a bit caught up with the "appreciating asset" type view of running things (which is fine in general but only to a point), and shelling out ££ for compensation to MP and then more to a new guy who has little to no resale value goes against the grain.

I reckon 2 and 3 are almost merged. I get the sense Reed isn't especially bright and has believed his own hype (or interpreted hype about the club as personal praise) and sees himself as a bit of a football guru. Pellegrino fits, or tows the line, in respect of Reed's footballing vision and therefore sacking him would throw doubts on either his recruitment or his philosophy, both of which Reed seems very (albeit wrongly) proud of, and reluctant to change.

Admittedly, I have added a sprinkling of 'conspiracy theory' to your points, but don't think it's far fetched.

Anyone see Goals on Sunday where Tim Sherwood said similar, yeah I know, skate and failed manager. But he said the players need the supporters, the atmosphere is toxic, and we’re better off playing away from home. Someone said in reply, I think it was Kammy , that we’re sat there waiting for something to happen, for the players to inspire us, rather than visa versa.

I’m sure it’ll get dismissed on here, but one thing I know to be absolutely true is no team plays worse when 100% of The support get behind the side 100% of the time. If we put our misgivings over the management and over certain players or style of play for the last 3 home games, it won’t make us play worse. It could in fact nick us an unexpected point or win that keeps us up. One thing for sure, Huddersfield, Palace, Boscombe & Brighton supporters will be. Whereas us stoke , West Brom & West Ham probably won’t.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

To be honest I wonder if the club did any due diligence on MP at all! Les Reed said in the summer that we wanted to play fast attacking football with a high press...a fair enough statement and one which most fans (myself included) would most likely echo. However, looking at his playing style at previous clubs he's managed MP has never played that way and lets be honest have we played to that style at any point this season? Alaves was all about being tight defensive and hitting teams on the break. If we wanted a manager who plays fast attacking football with a high press we should've gone out and found somebody who plays that style. Instead we have a gutless defensive manager who plays not to lose.

Yeah, it seems to me that you are right about this; yet there's an ever-dwindling part of me that still finds it incredible that Reed & Co. would not have researched his playing style at previous clubs. Not to have done so displays a staggering complacency and incompetence on their part.

Anyone see Goals on Sunday where Tim Sherwood said similar, yeah I know, skate and failed manager. But he said the players need the supporters, the atmosphere is toxic, and we’re better off playing away from home. Someone said in reply, I think it was Kammy , that we’re sat there waiting for something to happen, for the players to inspire us, rather than visa versa.

I’m sure it’ll get dismissed on here, but one thing I know to be absolutely true is no team plays worse when 100% of The support get behind the side 100% of the time. If we put our misgivings over the management and over certain players or style of play for the last 3 home games, it won’t make us play worse. It could in fact nick us an unexpected point or win that keeps us up. One thing for sure, Huddersfield, Palace, Boscombe & Brighton supporters will be. Whereas us stoke , West Brom & West Ham probably won’t.

The atmosphere is bound to make a difference. That was always one of our advantages in our Dell days, we were often down the bottom but the crowd generally stayed with the side because we knew we would always be in that situation. I remember going away to bigger clubs who were also in trouble and being amazed how negative the fans were.

It's yet another reason why we should have changed manager, it gives everyone a lift and gets the crowd back onside. For example, if we had brought Strachan back and made a couple of signings there would be nothing but positivity from the stands.

Toxic my ars8 on Saturday it was quieter ...bloody freezing and the manager dropping Gabbi after scoring the week before doesnt help and watching us again for the 8th game fail to win.

The atmosphere second half was ok... a few boos at half time and the end for the ref....if it was toxic the players would be off straight at the end yet several walked round clapping.

The volume always gets turned up when we have free kick and corner the players are applauded and cheered - there is not much wrong that a few goals and better team selections wouldnt cure.

Why do some people always try and blame the fans....try pointing at where the real issue lies.

Edited by Give it to Ron

to me its a combination of:

01) the club doesn't want to come off as a "knee jerk sack the manager" club. This is so that we remain an attractive destination for good managers in the future.

02) the club feels the turmoil of a mid season replacement would make matters worse.

03) the club doesn't want to be saddled with a mid season replacement manager next season.

I do think regardless of relegation or staying up, MP is gone in June. I don't buy into the theory that the club feels he is the right man for the job. A 15th-17th place finish should not be a job saver.

Our Support is sh!t, has been for a while, even during 'the good times'.

Always take good numbers (home and away), but vocally poor - probably doesn't help that unless its OWTS (used far, far too often) or a song that involves ridiculous clapping a large proportion of our fan base won't sing.

Thought stoke were alright Saturday - Even if it's "Pellegrino's red and white army" for a consistent half hour, it's better than silence, groaning or repeating OWTS even 10 minutes.

Our Support is sh!t, has been for a while, even during 'the good times'.

Always take good numbers (home and away), but vocally poor - probably doesn't help that unless its OWTS (used far, far too often) or a song that involves ridiculous clapping a large proportion of our fan base won't sing.

Thought stoke were alright Saturday - Even if it's "Pellegrino's red and white army" for a consistent half hour, it's better than silence, groaning or repeating OWTS even 10 minutes.

Our support has never been amazing but I can't really blame anyone at the moment for being part of a flat atmosphere. I defy any crowd to sit through two seasons of home performances like we have just had and then produce anything else.

Another thing, I genuinely think the Board said at the start of this year."OK, a lot of changes this year, we'll settle for lower mid table". Trouble is they did not expect such a drop and now are 'sailing close to the wind' hoping to scrape home safely. 17th, money keeps coming in. 18th a disaster.

The fact is we have been struggling to score all season regardless of who plays. In one sense I can understand Pellegrino wanting to play it safe for 60 minutes and then moving to a more attacking formation when the opposition are tiring but that's not really working either. To my mind it's the player recruitment process that's to blame. It did for Puel last season and it will do likewise for Pellegrino in the summer.

Seriously the guy is a complete joke and I really do think Reed knows this by now.

Yes he might be Mr nice guy but it’s a result business and Pellegrino has not delivered.

I have a very similar Brendan Rogers type theory. The gamble is that we stay up.

Its just crazy to think that hes still the manager and made it past last December !

I dont see one clear reason.............

I think the boardroom are scared to lose face following the takeover and them still being management as part of the 'deal'

The boardroom unwilling to give into players again, after they sacked Puel on their behalf.

A first team player told someone i know that Pellegrino was 'way out of his depth' last October and that players were tired of the boardroom and going through the motions following on from Puel.

Unless players have respect and are inspired by a manager it will not work.

Our support has never been amazing but I can't really blame anyone at the moment for being part of a flat atmosphere. I defy any crowd to sit through two seasons of home performances like we have just had and then produce anything else.

You know that cliche "when you're away from home, you want to silence the crowd"? Well if you could design a performance to do so, it would probably be Pellegrino's style. Only trouble is, he does it at home.

Spot on imo

I would imagine that Reed has taken soundings from the senior pros, watched training first hand, been around the first team squad, and thinks Pell can turn it round and be a better option than gambling on bringing someone in. It’s a judgement call he’s made with more facts & behind the scene insights than we’ve got. Whether it’s the right call is another matter.

One thing for sure, Pell must be seriously impressive off the pitch to have survived these results so long. There does also appear to be little noise or criticism coming out of the club, no rumours of player unrest or “lost the dressing room” type of stuff. But it will be pretty remarkable if Pell somehow does a Lawrie and wins us round after an awful first campaign. So remarkable, that I really can’t remember another manager who has done so.

I am sure we are all reassured by your imagination. If only we won games behind the scenes, we'd be ace. Fans who go to games see what happens where it matters, and it ain't happening where it matters, is it.

I am sure we are all reassured by your imagination. If only we won games behind the scenes, we'd be ace. Fans who go to games see what happens where it matters, and it ain't happening where it matters, is it.

I think Lord D is just suggesting a reasonable set of circumstances for why Reed hasn't sacked the manager. He's not saying he agrees with it.

Most people are incredulous that he is still employed - in fact many of them were concerned a few weeks or months into the season - but that doesn't mean there is a conspiracy. It just means the board are judging the scenario differently, and only time will tell whether they have got it a) incredibly correct (we survive, maybe win the cup, and Pellegrino goes on to be a brilliant manager for us), b) wrong, where we narrowly escape relegation and can appoint a better manager from a range of options in the summer or c) catastrophically wrong, and we are relegated.

Tell that to the Liebherrs.....(although I do concede they will be in a truly small minority of football club owners).

Equally, maybe he bought it as a very public way of extracting money from China, without the hoops that he would normally have to go through.

Who knows. It doesn't make a lot of sense in any direction at the moment.

The Liebherrs didn't buy a Premier League club.

Lord Duck what part of the ground do you sit/stand if you think its toxic...maybe thats it because I am in block 35 and although not excactly The Kop its been ok considering some of the sh1te like first half?

Maybe I am not hearing what you are?

**** me. Can people read?

I’ve quoted my post. IT WAS TIM SHERWOOD THAT SAID THE ATMOSPHERE WAS TOXIC, not me. Try reading then understanding what’s written before jumping up and down.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Pretty sure the reasoning now is it is too late. I imagine if he keeps us up or we go down he gets sacked end of season.

I agree but don’t get the reason not to do it now in that case. Unless who they want isn’t available until the summer.

As long as we have a complete no-mark as manager, Les can continue to be the big man at the club.

It's why he selected the last 2 managers.

If he appointed a Silva or Bilic, they would be strong enough to tell him to f*ck right off. He wants a yes man, and he's got one.

People will hate this answer, but the truth I think is that the Board will argue:

- we have lost just once in ten games in all competitions, and that was to Liverpool

- with the exception of Palace, every time we have played a team for the second time this season we have either matched or improved the first result

- we are through to FA Cup Quarter Final

- the players do not appear to have downtools in terms of effort, it’s more quality of attacking play

To be clear, I argued for him to be sacked after Huddersfield and Spurs games in December, but it is hard to argue that things have got worse since then. The question is would replacing him with nine games left make a positive difference.

I agree but don’t get the reason not to do it now in that case. Unless who they want isn’t available until the summer.

Whoever they want probably won't be available to us if we are in the Championship...