Alex McCarthy: Number 1

Monk

Probably. He's been solid and just done what you expect a keeper to do.

With FF, it got to the point with every goal I was thinking he could have done better, kept seeing him rooted to his line or very hesitant as he was beaten by yet another 6 years header.

I can't think of a goal that McCarthy has let in that he should have stopped, or was clearly his fault. Maybe last week he could have done a bit more for Burnley's goal (clearing the first shot), but even then they only scored with a handball.

He comes for crosses, and seems to judge well when to come. He holds shots rather than parrying them straight out. So for me, clear #1 at the moment.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

In the Championship, yeah, might as well.

If we stay up, goalkeeper is one of several positions that needs an upgrade.

McCarthy has been competent. I wouldn't say any better than that. But his adequacy in basic goalkeeping skills stands out like a sore thumb in comparison to the utter dollop he's replaced (too late).

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I would say so.

Be interesting to see what happens with FF. If we go down he will want to go but then who the hell would want him ?

If we stay up will he want assurances that he will be number one choice or else ask to leave.

Whatever happens he faces a tricky summer career wise......as should Dave Watson who as a goalkeeping coach has failed to cover himself in glory for a long time now. Nice hair tho !

Difficult one.. He's done absolutely nothing wrong to deserve to be dropped (FWIW I think FF knows he's been sh!te and understands this), but I still think, if FF can't find his form this is a position we need to strengthen in (not urgently though).

For a club our size, we have 2 keepers who are both too good to be a no2 and probably not good enough to be no1 (of a top 10 team if that's where we want to be).

Off to Russia..??

Pickford, Butand and Heaton have been favourites for most people since Hart slipped off the radar.

But if one of those picks up an injury, I think Alex would get the nod.

Heaton has been out injured since September. He's likely to be back fit before the end of the season, but Pope has been in pretty good form, so It'll be interesting to see if he plays enough games from now until the end of the season.

Do you remember someone on this forum telling us that he was ten times worse than FF...and that was before he had played. what sort of fans do we have, he was getting the Mane/Wanyama treatment before he started

Not seen him do anything that would class as a major error yet, and he has certainly made saves I would have been surprised to see FF make (or even attempt in some cases). He's earned it, until his form drops he should keep it.

AM has earned his place by keep training hard, waiting in the wings. FF lost his spot and rightly so. As long as AM continues to perform which I think he is he deserves to keep his position. Only injury or poor run of form should be the reason for being dropped. Give FF the cup games.

Do you remember someone on this forum telling us that he was ten times worse than FF...and that was before he had played. what sort of fans do we have, he was getting the Mane/Wanyama treatment before he started

I was effectively cyber-bullied because I had the temerity to say FF was sh1t when we signed him. :lol:

Think it does AM a disservice to say he's just been competent. He's been great I think, does the basics right and has made some very good saves for us. Definitely deserves his place and to retain it next year (esp if we go down).

I would be very shocked if he doesn't make the England squad this summer. Especially with the current form of other English keepers and the injury list. He's been very solid and I genuinely think (if Pellegrino goes now and we stay up) we have a talented back 5. Stephens and Hoedt will make a good partnership if they're kept together, now the muppet has stopped switching them around.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

He's a really good keeper. The cameras didn't pick it up but he saved that shot in the Stoke game, flicking it past the post. Brilliant save, and we would have been sunk without it. If only we had dropped Forster earlier - we lost an awful lot of points because of his lumbering ineptitude

I would say so.

Be interesting to see what happens with FF. If we go down he will want to go but then who the hell would want him ?

If we stay up will he want assurances that he will be number one choice or else ask to leave.

Whatever happens he faces a tricky summer career wise......as should Dave Watson who as a goalkeeping coach has failed to cover himself in glory for a long time now. Nice hair tho !

If we go down, McCarthy will be quickly snapped up. Forster will presumably be stuck with us on a big long term contract - I can’t see anyone swooping for him?

He's done a great job and should be our number 1 for as long as he's at the club. If we stay up I can't see any reason to replace him.

Also seems like a really level headed chap who is dedicated to doing the best he can. Never see him blaming others or moaning about anything.

Next season, should Alex remain our number one?

I don't see why not, I was always hopeful he'd reflect his previous stats for Saints and he's clearly our best keeper. His xS stats showed that before he even signed for us.

If we go down, McCarthy will be quickly snapped up. Forster will presumably be stuck with us on a big long term contract - I can’t see anyone swooping for him?

Oh that's not how football works any more. Forster will get signed by some numpties like West Ham who haven't been paying any attention whatsoever, and McCarthy will stick around.

• 1 month later...
Based on his form since his return to the side, should he not be considered fr the World Cup squad? He won't be of course, but in my opinion he's done as well as anyone else over recent weeks.

Been fantastic and would deserve a call up.

Credit must go to the keeping coach as Mccarthy has improved so much since coming to our club.

The reason Forster has struggled is because of his confidence and not because of Webster.

To think McCarthy has played with that defence infront of him constitutes a minor miracle that he has done so well. For me FF's head has gone and maybe the best thing for him is to move on to pastures new and try to regain his confidence in a new environment as he is partly responsible for us being in our current situation.

As for McCarthy, he has earned his place as number 1 keeper but does need decent backup.

Been fantastic and would deserve a call up.

Credit must go to the keeping coach as Mccarthy has improved so much since coming to our club.

The reason Forster has struggled is because of his confidence and not because of Webster.

Really don't think much credit goes to our keeper coach. Alex was a good keeper before he joined us, Watson doesn't seem to have destroyed him like he has our other keepers. Credit should go to Alex for his patience while we stuck with the awful FF.

He is now a easily our best Goalkeeper and in my opinion our player of the season.

He all round game has improved, he catches the ball, if he can't catch it he will make sure he punches it away - he commands the 6 yard box with great confidence. And is now a great shot stopper, as has been proven in the last view games where he has saved us points.

He's our No.1 for me.

He is now a easily our best Goalkeeper and in my opinion our player of the season.

He all round game has improved, he catches the ball, if he can't catch it he will make sure he punches it away - he commands the 6 yard box with great confidence. And is now a great shot stopper, as has been proven in the last view games where he has saved us points.

He's our No.1 for me.

Agree, though in fairness I can't think of anyone else who even vaguely deserves the title of player of the season. Not a single one.

I expect to lose Forster, McCarthy, Hoedt, Cedric, Bertrand, Romeu, Lemina, Hojbjerg, JWP, Redmond, Tadic, Boufal, Gabbiadini, Long, Austin, and Carrillo.

That would by a large distance be the biggest number of players sold by a relegated Premier League club for many, many years (if ever). Departures of contracted players in that number hasn't really happened before.

Dont know if its true that the player awards are cancelled but he definitely deserves Player of the Year. Has improved immensely given the chance and with some important saves has given us the slimmest of chances.

Hope it is true until we know our fate, win tomorrow and they can have it as we will be safe ( baring a ridiculous scoreline).

If McCarthy wants to be a number one, he’ll want to stay, it’s as simple as that. I doubt he’s on big money, he was signed as a number 2, we’re not in a Jordan Pickford situation here. Buckland is a given to go, limiting his options further and I bet Ben Foster is on a lot more dough, so WBA maybe looking to shift him. Joe Hart will be looking for first team football as well, one of Pope or Heaton will also not want to be a number 2 and will Mignolet. If you start looking down the league, options are limited. Top 6, no chance. Burnley, Leicester, Everton, Bournemouth, have better keepers already imo. Rafa has been raving about the difference their new one has made. So at most you’re looking at 7 or 8 clubs he maybe in with half a shout of being their first choice, and he’s possibly competing with Buckland, Heaton/Pope, Hart, Foster, Mignolet, plus all the foreign keepers unknown to us. He’s got 2 options, take his chance with that lot, up against keepers already playing, probably starting as number 2, or being guaranteed number one at a top championship side (before the league starts, on paper we are). He’s waited a long time for this chance, only got it because FF was woeful, he needs to grab it with both hands. Provided he doesn’t go to the World Cup, or Watson take him elsewhere, I can’t believe he’ll move on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk