Newcastle 3 Saints 0 - Post Match

St Chalet

"Not a single positive to take out of that game for Southampton' says TSN commentator here in Canada (where they can take a positive from anything!)

Beggars belief this incompetent manager is still employed. 100% of blame now at management and owners door.

Every game this muppet remains as our manager is pressing the self-destruct button harder.

Horrible performance. That’s 1 point from 2 six pointers with one more to go.

Horrible tactical changes made at ht

Even in the short period we dominated possession at 1-0 we were our usual toothless self. 2nd goal really annoyed me, lemina fell over and then Cedric kept backing off rather than engaging the player running with the ball. Maybe he was shocked as none of our players ever run with the ball.

If he gets sacked that might be a positive to take from this debacle.

Hopefully we get Silva in and he shakes things up.

Even in the short period we dominated possession at 1-0 we were our usual toothless self. 2nd goal really annoyed me, lemina fell over and then Cedric kept backing off rather than engaging the player running with the ball. Maybe he was shocked as none of our players ever run with the ball.

Why were the tactical changes at HT horrible?

Why were the tactical changes at HT horrible?

anyone that thinks JWP can play in a two man central midfield (and the team to function) is clueless IMO. It's what, 5 or 6 years since he made is debut and I've still to see him get close enough to an opponent to actually have any meaningful effect on his play.

‪West Ham fans force their owners to leave the directors box before the final whistle in pitchside demo? Hmm food for thought though not sure #saintsfc fans would go down that path. Mind you these are desperate days‬ and if the Board won’t listen......

What, including that wonder woman of British business, Keren Brady? How could they.

‪West Ham fans force their owners to leave the directors box before the final whistle in pitchside demo? Hmm food for thought though not sure #saintsfc fans would go down that path. Mind you these are desperate days‬ and if the Board won’t listen......

Is forcing board members to leave the stadium during a game due to a possible threat to their safety really something people would be happy with? Not the actions of a civilised society!

80Gg.gif

LOL been said so many times this season yet still he's here and he will be when we start out next match.

I just feel numb. As the match commentators on the feed I was watching said, it was a bit of a mystery why Pellegrino wouldn't play two up front in a six pointer. Well, if they knew what a gormless oaf we had as a manager, it wouldn't surprise them one bit. Also as they said, our downfall had been that although other teams had lost more matches than us, we had had too many draws and perhaps Pellegrino was a fault for not having the courage to put out a more attacking team against those around us in the table. One point against Stoke and Newcastle is really feeble!

I understand that Romeu might not have been played because he was a yellow card away from not playing against Wigan in the cup. It begs the question whether the Cup is more important than relegation. A match like this was crying out for the strongest midfield of Lemina, Romeu and Hojbjerg, but instead we had lightweights like Ward-Prowse, Tadic and Redmond, so Newcastle were able to bully them for possession and launch attack after attack against us, particularly orchestrated by MOTM Shelvey. Had we played a stronger midfield, we could have cut off their attacks and played the ball into their box, although that would still have left the out of his depth Carillo isolated without support, as the strategy of playing two strikers up front is a totally alien concept to the cretin who is our manager.

I understand that West Ham who lost by the same margin, at least had the initiative amongst their fan base to show their displeasure to their board in a high profile media way. As far as I'm aware, our board might have heard murmurs of dissent, but appear to be under the illusion that we are not as passionately rebellious as West Ham's fans. It is about time that we stepped up that dissent by actions that will bring that message home to them.

The whole thrust of opinion on here and (presumably the rest of the fan base) has altered within the past few weeks. I believe that it has shifted from solely blaming the manager for being out of his depth and of being incompetent tactically with his team choices and substitutions, to a widening blame of the board for not sacking Pellegrino, and for not bringing in the players that the squad was shouting out for with the mountain of dosh that we robbed Scousehampton of when they bought V-VD. Those chickens have well and truly come home to roost. All we brought in was a mate of the manager who has so far failed to find the net in several matches. We might as well have brought back Gallagher and saved ourselves £19 million. We failed to sign another CB, so our defence has become increasingly weak from the moment that Yoshida became injured. What happens if either Hoidt or Stephens are injured or suspended?

It wouldn't be so painful if we were going down fighting, but we aren't. There is very little steel and backbone, the players obviously get no motivation and inspiration from Pellegrino, they lack fight and intent. As professionals, that is unacceptable.

It is a very poor situation to be in, hoping that there are three teams worse than ours. I'm not sure that there are. We are going down with a whimper instead of a bang.

So still blame everyone else but the players themselves? They clearly have no confidence in the manager but they have given up and just as clearly couldn't give a stuff about the supporters. Most will find an equally remunerative move away, so what to they care?

Football mirrors society - the overpaid couldn't give a flying f*** about anyone but themselves.

Is forcing board members to leave the stadium during a game due to a possible threat to their safety really something people would be happy with? Not the actions of a civilised society!

80Gg.gif

Bit of a dumb arse move from the WHU fans to be honest, shows them up as a pretty classless club. Not sure why there are people on here lauding their actions and willing us to do the same. Because that's going to help.

80Gg.gif

I would imagine FF is advocating direct protest rather than violence. I doubt anybody wants to see a return to the "Hope You Die Soon" rhetoric of the Branfoot days, but I must admit I hope that Pellegrino "Soon Catches a Non-Life Threatening Disease Which Means You Are Out Of Action For 3 Months" - this seems more in keeping with the sanitised Premier League fan experience these days. Ralph would be proud.

Turned into a farce,

Owners who say nothing, don’t know who they are or why they bought us.

Les knobhead Reed - lost his voice a year ago

Wrekit Ralph - well he’s good at ice hockey apparently

And an incompetent, clueless failure of a manager. Were gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I thought we were going to finish 17th, maybe, but I doubt we will be that high up the table. We have been sleepwalking to relegation and now for the nightmare.

Not really sleep walking though is it? More like hiding in plain sight. I called it last year after the B'mouth H game, 0-0 and going nowhere, I stood up in Block 36 and said we are going down, I was shouted down by a few, then added not this season you (expletives deleted), it's next season that we're nailed on for relegation.

I just had a feeling last season that we had lost our mojo and that the black box seemed to have become a virus-laden curse since Mitchell left. Hate to say I told you so and I would never bet against Saints but fair play to those that got on at 25-1,12-1,6-1 etc.

80Gg.gif

I'd love us to do that, exactly what a performance like today deserves.

Anyone at today's game that watched more than half an hour of that match is genuinely insane, what a waste of time.

I’d be happy to see a few bottles of urine aimed at Reed n co. I seriously doubt any of the mongs in the Itchen stand would have the fight in them though, they can barely muster up a “oh when the Saints”.

A few grumbles match day then a strongly worded letter to the Echo is as West Ham as we will get.

I am sure that as usual, we would planned to have made a cautious start in beginning and go from there. But when Newcastle scored in the opening minutes, it gave us a perfect opportunity to see what we were made of as a team when it mattered.

We then had the rest of the game to get at Newcastle, attack them, go for broke and fight for our status in the Premier League. Instead, we proved that we have no idea as a team, and we are too pedestrian going forward. Once again Pellegrino failed in his job to motivate the team, and royally f****d it up as usual.

I am sure that as usual, we would planned to have made a cautious start in beginning and go from there. But when Newcastle scored in the opening minutes, it gave us a perfect opportunity to see what we were made of as a team when it mattered.

We then had the rest of the game to get at Newcastle, attack them, go for broke and fight for our status in the Premier League. Instead, we proved that we have no idea as a team, and we are too pedestrian going forward. Once again Pellegrino failed in his job to motivate the team, and royally f****d it up as usual.

Exactly. The tactics we're to keep it tight and not concede. We conceded. End of tactics.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Jermaine Jenas has turned into a good pundit. ‘Abysmal, shocking, borderline disgraceful’ was his verdict on Saints today...

As they said on MOTD, “It’s all possession football with no goal at the end of it”

Just surprising the pundits have taken so long to identify our frailties. Last week Murphy said of Saints and Stoke "they'll be alright...".

Still its now out in the media and wider world that we are sh!t, so no hiding place for Reed now. Act now and get rid of the clown.

for the breakaway goal Lemina lost the ball but was back in the box, where were the rest of the team? , dont suppose MOPE uncrossed his arms even
This is the Lemina who some believe is on a one-way ticket to Liverpool because he's definitely a Champions League standard mega-player.

The strange this is, Pellegrino seems to spend his entire life worrying about what could go wrong. So you'd think, given that Jonjo Shelvey was so influential in our home match vs Newcastle, he would have been super worried about him this time out and put a plan in place to deal with him.

But he didn't. Because he doesn't seem to proactively plan for anything. He doesn't set a defence up well enough to be a side that wins 1-0 through a set piece or a counter attack, he doesn't target opposition weakness with his team selection or tactics, nor does he, perhaps most surprisingly, identify opposition strengths and make selections or tactical changes accordingly.

What value does he actually add as manager? I think our main trait is not taking risks and keeping possession, but we don't even keep possession very well!

As for the players not being up for it, it's true there isn't a 'spirit' and a 'fight' apparent in our squad, as maybe you can see with Brighton, Palace and Swansea at times. But really, players 'not trying' often just goes hand in hand with how well drilled they are and whether the tactics are right. I'm not saying the players are blameless, but there causality of "playing well" and "trying hard" isn't always obvious.

So still blame everyone else but the players themselves? They clearly have no confidence in the manager but they have given up and just as clearly couldn't give a stuff about the supporters. Most will find an equally remunerative move away, so what to they care?

Football mirrors society - the overpaid couldn't give a flying f*** about anyone but themselves.

Wes Tender: It wouldn't be so painful if we were going down fighting, but we aren't. There is very little steel and backbone, the players obviously get no motivation and inspiration from Pellegrino, they lack fight and intent. As professionals, that is unacceptable.

It is a very poor situation to be in, hoping that there are three teams worse than ours. I'm not sure that there are. We are going down with a whimper instead of a bang.

Didn't you read down as far as the last two lines. I think I did blame the players too, didn't I?

Just surprising the pundits have taken so long to identify our frailties. Last week Murphy said of Saints and Stoke "they'll be alright...".

Still its now out in the media and wider world that we are sh!t, so no hiding place for Reed now. Act now and get rid of the clown.

Passing for passings sake was the big comment.

This is the Lemina who some believe is on a one-way ticket to Liverpool because he's definitely a Champions League standard mega-player.

To be fair to Lemina, he has had a couple of incredibly good games this season, even if he was terrible today.

As for the second goal, I haven't seen the highlights, so only going from what I saw at the time, but didn't he slip? If so, I know you could make the argument that it was a rash decision to take a shot but I wouldn't be too critical of someone losing their footing.

We nearly conceded shortly before because Lemina was dawdling on the ball. But it did also feel like nobody was making any runs, no-one moving into space calling for the ball. It was still poor from him, without a doubt, but I also think that kind of thing happens because there's a malaise amongst the whole team. No-one wants the ball, because they don't want to be the one that loses it.

Are we really, really unfit?

The lack of tracking back, and general lack of movement was so noticable on MOTD.

I've been on about this for ages. We seem vulnerable at the end of each half. The players say they like MP2 training which makes me wonder.

80Gg.gif

You are dead right. Let’s all sit back do nothing and pretend relegation won’t happen.

Just seen his post match interview on MOTD. Didn't seem bothered, shrugging his shoulders and grinning inanely, constantly looking up into the corner of the room as he speaks. Just plain weird.

It’s now painfully obvious that Pellegrino has failed.

It’s not just tactics and team selection from what’s left of the Boardroom sales strategy.... it’s worse than that ITS DEFEATISM.

We need someone motivational for the last few games - someone who even if he fails will know the Championship enough to bounce us straight back without having to get to know the team again.

We need someone who cares.

WE MUST SACK HIM NOW.

WE ARE GOING DOWN 100%. THERE IS NOTHING TO LOSE BY PUTTING SOMEONE ELSE IN EXCEPT BOARDROOM PRIDE FOR SCREWING THIS ALL UP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk