Last Chance: Sack Him Now

Dusic

Every week I assume he's gone, since the Leicester game last year. Bewildering.

But it truly is last chance now. We're probably 90% relegated, but there's a chance.

Fully believe a half way competent manager would get us fighting at very least. The crowd would get a huge lift just from being rid of Pellegrino.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, once again I'm expecting him sacked in the morning. If he isn't, then something really odd is going on.

Totally agree.

It’s almost like Reed is retiring at the end of the season and he don’t give a ****.

Others have left recently which might suggest things don’t look good at the club.

If only Saints fans had a senior voice that said ‘If you don’t sack him then we boycott the games.’

Perry, Chorley and McMillan used to be vocal years ago and often would be on the radio and papers about fans actions, it’s a shame we roll over and except it now.

That was the "old days" Journalists can't be arsed to seek out fans for opinion nowadays, the just scour social media for posts to read/print/link to.

Well, he's still here.

I'm going to assume Les is relaxed and confident about the situation.

Les is probably still in Russia trying to tie the Promes deal up by selling him our new 5 year plan.

Ralph is in the USA, reading the 5 pledges & selling our coaching brand.

Les is probably still in Russia trying to tie the Promes deal up by selling him our new 5 year plan.

Ralph is in the USA, reading the 5 pledges & selling our coaching brand.

Shame Noah Liebherr can't bring to their and the wider world's attention via Twitter or instagram then that it's all going 't!ts up'.

Or perhaps Kat can casually mention it to Nelly during their next (Skyped) coffee morning.

Despite all the means of communication now available ,there does appear to be a serious breakdown in the communication and management chain somewhere along the way.

Regardless of what you thought of cortese- and I really disliked him- he was prepared to sack adkins even when adkins had done well. These guys won't even sack the worst performing Premier league manager over a season.

The only comparable was Lowe's perseverance with Wigley, although he did bring it to a halt in December. Best not to reflect on the subsequent appointment of course.

The only comparable was Lowe's perseverance with Wigley, although he did bring it to a halt in December. Best not to reflect on the subsequent appointment of course.

Yup, true that... but this somehow feels far, far worse. And I think Wigley did OK in hindsight compared to Pellegrino, what with all the injuries we had at the time.

I posted months ago that Les wouldn't sack MP as he would be doing what's best for him rather than the club. An admission that he'd messed the appointment up would be bad for his career, better for him to wait it out and hope that the situation improved.

I don’t buy this theory because Reed is in charge of player recruitment as well. By not sacking the manager Reed is basically accepting that he’s doing as well as can be expected with these players. Surely the best thing for Reed is to make this guy the scapegoat. Sacking him sends out the message that we’ve given him a decent squad of players, and he hasn’t managed them properly. Under an old fashioned manager, your point maybe valid. Reed may not want to be seen as making one mistake in picking the wrong manager. As it is he’s going to be accused of making loads of mistakes, by signing poor players. Worryingly, I genuinely believe Reed thinks sticking with the guy is the right thing for the club. Hopefully, he’s had a rethink now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only thing I can think is that of the sides who've changed managers, unless stoke beat citeh three of them are still, somehow, below us. Perhaps the board are clinging to that.

Just highlights how pathetic the prem is this season with us still out of the bottom 3.

The only thing I can think is that of the sides who've changed managers, unless stoke beat citeh three of them are still, somehow, below us. Perhaps the board are clinging to that.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but the only new manager to have a worse points per game ratio than his predecessor, is Alan Pardew at W.Brom.

We’ve won one game in 17, there’s nothing to cling to.

Just highlights how pathetic the prem is this season with us still out of the bottom 3.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but the only new manager to have a worse points per game ratio than his predecessor, is Alan Pardew at W.Brom.

I know. I'm trying to come up with a plausible theory as to why Pellegrino is still our manager, as I've yet to hear one. The only single thing I can see is the board thinking "he cannot possibly get any worse and we are still outside the relegation zone". Nothing else that's been suggested makes sense to me.

I don’t buy this theory because Reed is in charge of player recruitment as well. By not sacking the manager Reed is basically accepting that he’s doing as well as can be expected with these players. Surely the best thing for Reed is to make this guy the scapegoat. Sacking him sends out the message that we’ve given him a decent squad of players, and he hasn’t managed them properly. Under an old fashioned manager, your point maybe valid. Reed may not want to be seen as making one mistake in picking the wrong manager. As it is he’s going to be accused of making loads of mistakes, by signing poor players. Worryingly, I genuinely believe Reed thinks sticking with the guy is the right thing for the club. Hopefully, he’s had a rethink now.

We're going down under Pellegrino. I think our squad is easily good enough for mid-table under anyone but MP.

Reed's plan to wait it out and hope for the best is not viable now. He has to bite the bullet and appoint a new manager.

We're going down under Pellegrino. I think our squad is easily good enough for mid-table under anyone but MP.

Reed's plan to wait it out and hope for the best is not viable now. He has to bite the bullet and appoint a new manager.

That’s what I don’t understand about Reeds position. He’s given the guy a mid table squad and Pell is royally ****ing it up. By not sacking him, he’s in effect accepting he’s given him a Shiite squad.

Clubs normally jump at the chance to throw the manager under the bus and blame them for everything that's gone wrong. There's always so much criticism of the role of DoF's and Chairman etc. in that they pick the manager/players but don't take responsibility and the manager gets sacked. Yet here we are, not sacking arguably the worst Premier League manager ever when it would be so easy to just blame him and move on! Really really ****ing weird.

If we went down I wonder how much the owner would get from a fire sale. He's already had VVD money, does he want us to go down so he can flog off most of the players and recoup his debts? Play the kids in the champ and start again?

Probably not but nothing is making a lot of sense at the moment.

If we went down I wonder how much the owner would get from a fire sale. He's already had VVD money, does he want us to go down so he can flog off most of the players and recoup his debts? Play the kids in the champ and start again?

To me that doesn’t make sense. If we go down other clubs know we have to sell and the players value goes down. If we remain in the PL, we don’t have to sell and potential buyers have to pay more.

There is really not much value in many of our players. We would lose a great deal trying to sell them off. Who would we make money on? Bertrand, JWP and Stephens, and hopefully we would keep hold of the latter two (be nice to keep hold of Bertie but it won't happen). Anyone who thinks we would get much for any of the others is sadly deluded. Maybe Lemina. Most of our other players would only have a big price if we were doing well and they were looking good. Can you imagine anyone paying anything like good money for Carillo, or our three backward passing midfielders (Tadic, Boufal and Redmond)?

There is really not much value in many of our players. We would lose a great deal trying to sell them off. Who would we make money on? Bertrand, JWP and Stephens, and hopefully we would keep hold of the latter two (be nice to keep hold of Bertie but it won't happen). Anyone who thinks we would get much for any of the others is sadly deluded. Maybe Lemina. Most of our other players would only have a big price if we were doing well and they were looking good. Can you imagine anyone paying anything like good money for Carillo, or our three backward passing midfielders (Tadic, Boufal and Redmond)?
You would be suprised. Which is why its ridiculous we are even in this position.

To me that doesn’t make sense. If we go down other clubs know we have to sell and the players value goes down. If we remain in the PL, we don’t have to sell and potential buyers have to pay more.

Exactly- if the Chinese guy had any brains he should know that the MONEY is in the PL; not from relegation and a one off firesale- so to see nothing being done shocks me.

I mean, who knows, I can only imagine Les Reed and Ralph are being very cunning with this naive Chinese owner, but I also think Kat is very happy with the Chinese man losing money- my mate always say that rich people are very happy when other rich people lose money- if that is the case then she has well and truly paid a blinder.

I don't know why people keep talking about the owner having/getting the VVD money, like Liverpool personally handed him an oversized charity cheque with £75m on it and he's just run away with it.

Regardless of what you thought of cortese- and I really disliked him- he was prepared to sack adkins even when adkins had done well. These guys won't even sack the worst performing Premier league manager over a season.

I think most boards would have sacked him twice over. (November and March). The Newcastle game gave zero ground for any even crumbs of optimism or putting anything to bad luck - we were bereft

If it doesn't happen today then it won't IMO.

And thats relegation without even making a gamble to stay up, either in Jan despite money available, or by changing the Manager.

Unforgivable mismanagement.

If it doesn't happen today then it won't IMO.

And thats relegation without even making a gamble to stay up, either in Jan despite money available, or by changing the Manager.

Unforgivable mismanagement.

Gross negligence imo.

Whatever happens, plenty of heads should roll in the summer. So many people have failed at their jobs throughout the club. (Maybe not the commercial people though, we got ourselves on a TV ad after all. :rolleyes: )

This has so many similar traits to the Lowe regime that it’s scary. All too worried about non-football matters and the brand, and given that it’s a football club they’re managing, that’s a bit dumb.

Gross negligence imo.

Whatever happens, plenty of heads should roll in the summer. So many people have failed at their jobs throughout the club. (Maybe not the commercial people though, we got ourselves on a TV ad after all. :rolleyes: )

This has so many similar traits to the Lowe regime that it’s scary. All too worried about non-football matters and the brand, and given that it’s a football club they’re managing, that’s a bit dumb.

It's Les Reeds job (as Vice-Chair) to deal with 'footballing matters'. Whilst Ralph and other directors will have an input, on field matters ultimately lay on Les Reed's head.

I feel a bit sorry for Ralph really, as you've said, he's actually done a pretty decent job (his main responsibility for commercial revenue). He has put too much trust in Les and he's getting dragged into Les' miss-management. Whilst it is obvious that MP isn't up the the task, I would imagine, given his background, Ralph isn't comfortable making a decision as big as sacking a manager, especially when he is supposed to have a 'football expert' next to him.

Les got a hell of a lot of credit during the good times and to be fair, Koeman was a great appointment at that time (a strong leader, who knew exactly what we needed in the transfer market). Since the Koeman appointment, everything he has touched has fallen apart. He practically forced Koeman out (basically because he wasn't a yes man and they fell out a number of times, one regarding him not using our 'preferred formation', which given how Sh!t a manager Les was, is criminal), We've been disastrous in the transfer market (since Mitchell left) and he seems to lack the ability to attract a top manager (probably because he wants a yes man).

IMO, Les Reed deserves everything he gets. With him practically running our football club, we will continue to slide - It wouldn't surprise me if he did leave at the end of the season to try and save face.

I hope they fire him, but I have a feeling they’re going to keep him for the duration, and they’re been working on their excuses for not firing him after that awful performance.

Still, I will be very disappointed if I wake up tomorrow morning to find he’s still the first team manager.

In Saturday's Echo, the back page quotes Pellegrino as saying "We are more together and in better spirits than ever before". Pellegrino has sensed an added feeling of impetus .... "My players are conscious of how we need to approach the game.. we are ready to compete".

Then after the Newcastle game he had to apologise to the fans saying the performance did not represent the values of the club. "...from the first minute we were not focused..... without the spirit you need to compete at this level... I observed ... some players who gave up."

There is a saying: A fool will believe easily, thus will be betrayed easily.

Do we blame the fool or the betrayers?

Yep.

Strange isn't it. Literally checking the news for our relegation today. If he goes, I still think we'll stay up, learn from it and get back to top half finishes. If he isn't gone today, it's relegation.

Not just any relegation. The most easily avoidable relegation a club has had IMO.

Yep. Combined with the sale of our best play in January and then the failure to spend hardly any of the money, I don't think a club has ever done less to try to prevent relegation in the history of the league. I am starting to wonder why that is. It's absolutely baffling.

Is the cause of :-

1. The indecision over Pelligrino.

2. The slow stumbling approach to buying in new players.

All just the result of having a remote main owner and a Board not empowered to take major decisions?

Even the window for talking to Gao may just be a few hours each day if he only makes himself available during HKG daylight hours.

Add in having Ralph based in Switzerland and often in North America and we have a recipe for indecision.

Exactly- if the Chinese guy had any brains he should know that the MONEY is in the PL; not from relegation and a one off firesale- so to see nothing being done shocks me.

I mean, who knows, I can only imagine Les Reed and Ralph are being very cunning with this naive Chinese owner, but I also think Kat is very happy with the Chinese man losing money- my mate always say that rich people are very happy when other rich people lose money- if that is the case then she has well and truly paid a blinder.

Doesn't Kat still own 20% of the shares? Then SHE will be losing money too as the company is devalued. Unless Gao has committed to pay her another £50M (agreed fixed fee at Summer 2017 valuation) for the remaining 20%? (rather than 20% of prevailing market value)

My own take is that we have a hands-off owner who takes advice from Reed and Kreuger, but they are telling him there's nothing to worry about. :mcinnes:

If he isn't sacked today then he isn't going anywhere for the rest of the season and we are going down. I just don't understand why the club would sit on their hands at this stage.

I’m starting to feel like I’m stuck in an episode of the Twilight Zone. It is bat**** crazy that this manager is still running the first team.