Pellegrino Sacked - Official

Katalinic

As we all know we plan out managerial appointments before they happen and We have been tracking Mark Hughes for years. He was a manager we have always admired and always been on our radar as someone who fits the model of manager we want to bring to the club. On Reeds secret list of managers which is constantly updated Hughes name was always top of the list. The fact he's unemployed at the moment is just a coincidence.

How does your mind work that when someone lambasts a single manager, that it therefore follows that every other management candidate is ruled out?
My point is its absolutely ridiculous to be apoplectic about a potential new manager given the situation we are in and the situation. If the choice was staying with pellegrino or getting Hughes then everyone would take Hughes yet some are still going mad about he prospect. Just odd.

My point is its absolutely ridiculous to be apoplectic about a potential new manager given the situation we are in and the situation. If the choice was staying with pellegrino or getting Hughes then everyone would take Hughes yet some are still going mad about he prospect. Just odd.
its not odd, it just shows that some think about the future as well as here and now. Hughes would only be marginally better IMO. His only advantage is that he is different to MP, and just might get the plyers to play a bit different for a couple of games. I'm not sure he is a 2 up front man, and doesn't seem to have the personality to get the players behind him. Anyway the big plus is tht Robbie Savage will be talking us up for the rest of the season, until he gets anti Hughes callers lol

How does your mind work that when someone lambasts a single manager, that it therefore follows that every other management candidate is ruled out?

It's his prerogative to be as argumentative and sensationalist as he can be. That's what this is, hyperbole and sensationalism to try to mask the fact that his arguments for wanting him is nothing more than selective cherry picking of seasons that he thinks defines Hughes career.

But the choice isn't between staying with Pellegrino or getting Hughes, is it? Only in your mind, it seems.

Who's going apoplectic about it? Wash Saint maybe, but that's about it. Others are just saying he's not suitable/good enough.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

its not odd, it just shows that some think about the future as well as here and now. Hughes would only be marginally better IMO. His only advantage is that he is different to MP, and just might get the plyers to play a bit different for a couple of games. I'm not sure he is a 2 up front man, and doesn't seem to have the personality to get the players behind him. Anyway the big plus is tht Robbie Savage will be talking us up for the rest of the season, until he gets anti Hughes callers lol
We don't have the luxury to think of the future-- our short term goal is the pressing one which is to stay up. We can debate next season in the summer but if we go down then everything changes.

We don't have the luxury to think of the future-- our short term goal is the pressing one which is to stay up. We can debate next season in the summer but if we go down then everything changes.
well we bloody should do. If we hire Hughes on a 3 year contract and his presence no difference , we then are stuck with him as the club will not want to buy him out of his contract. It is a mess, we need someone who can deal with here and now but also be able to steer the club if we go down. Hughes alreadyhas a large percentage of the fanbase not keen on him, imagine if he doesn't get a response!!!

Who's going apoplectic about it? Wash Saint maybe, but that's about it. Others are just saying he's not suitable/good enough.
I was referring to washsaint and another poster from earlier in the thread. Ridiculous reactions for who is in truth a hit of a meh manager but certainly not someone who would destroy the club like some are making out.

well we bloody should do. If we hire Hughes on a 3 year contract and his presence no difference , we then are stuck with him as the club will not want to buy him out of his contract. It is a mess, we need someone who can deal with here and now but also be able to steer the club if we go down. Hughes alreadyhas a large percentage of the fanbase not keen on him, imagine if he doesn't get a response!!!
Yes I agree! We should have bloody thought of the future back in November or December but we didn't. We now have to take the best available candidate out of a very small list of people who would actually come here and could possibly give us an immediate upturn in form to keep us in the league. It's really the clubs fault that we have been left with such a small pool (and we don't even know how many of them would actually be interested either) but there we go.

This, absolutely. We've got the unreasonable and unrealistic expectations brigade piping up again. Get real!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

This, absolutely. We've got the unreasonable and unrealistic expectations brigade piping up again. Get real!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think lots of people have swallowed the club pr about us being special or doing things better than the other lower mid table prem teams. The truth is we have been spoilt during our time in the top league. A series of bad decisions has now left us with limited options near the end of the season and a damaged reputation. It may be in a couple of season we can get back to where we were and be a more attractive proposition again to exciting managers but right now we have to hope there is an experienced manager who will agree to take us on and help us claw our way to safety.

What's the choice then? Our options at this time will be extremely limited and people are talking about Rodgers and van gaal. They are deluded.

I agree that our choices are extremely limited, because the club should have acted before the January window, when the prospects for an incoming new manager would have been brighter with him able to bring in a player or two. What we are left with now is a shortlist of candidates who have to take a gamble on keeping us up in order not to be managing in the second division next season, even if their services are subsequently retained if they keep us up. Neither of us is privy to the list of potential candidates that we are looking at, but personally I would be quite disappointed if we got Hughes. I am just hopeful that despite getting it wrong with the last couple of appointments, there is somebody that we have in mind that will be capable of motivating the players and playing a style of football that gets the fans to back him and put some fire in our bellies. I still think that we have a fairly decent squad, but that Pellegrino had no idea of how to play them. If we appoint somebody quickly, then there is some time before the next PL match to get across a change in style and some motivation.

Dear supporters and everyone involved with Southampton Football Club,

As you know, my period in Southampton has finished. From the beginning I tried to do my best every single day, I tried to give back to the club and tried to represent the club with pride.

Some moments we managed this, some moments we couldn’t, but we have been living a difficult season for many reasons. The manager is the face of a lot of decisions and actions, but I always tried to put the club first with my technical staff and the board behind me.

I am really happy with the hospitality of the people of Southampton and the respect you have shown me in every moment during this experience. The fans have been behind us even in difficult games and I am really grateful for your support in those situations.

I have to say thanks to Ralph, to the board, to Les and Ross, all my technical staff and all the Southampton employees. Also to my players, who respected me in every single moment.

I feel so sorry to leave the club in this situation, but when you don’t get results I understand the decision the club has to take.

I wish everyone all the best for the rest of the season, I have enjoyed an amazing experience and I know that Southampton has everything required to move forward.

We March On.

Sincerely,

Mauricio

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-03-13/mauricio-pellegrino-statement-southampton

What's Carlo Ancelotti up to these days? He's available, even if on a short term basis until the end of the season which is the way we need to go. He'd certainly get the respect from the players. We can then make a longer term appointment in the summer, and if successful, maybe even Ancelotti might consider staying of it works both ways.

What's Carlo Ancelotti up to these days? He's available, even if on a short term basis until the end of the season which is the way we need to go. He'd certainly get the respect from the players. We can then make a longer term appointment in the summer, and if successful, maybe even Ancelotti might consider staying of it works both ways.

Please seek help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's an example of what I was talking about earlier. Cloud cuckoo land. No wonder some are outraged at the thought of Hughes if that's who they think we should be appointing.

Fair play to both him and the club - parted the way 2 people should and class shown on both sides.

By all accounts a decent bloke, just not the right fit for us at this time.

All the best in the future, unless competing against us!

I imagine he'll get a job with one of Spain's clubs quite easily.

Ok who wrote that statement, it had to be the Clubs PR people, with the We March On at the end.

It's such utter bull**** isn't it. How on earth could someone who has trouble with English in interviews write something constructed in the way that statement was, at best it was partially dictated and then edited, Saints PR still takes us for fools.

Please seek help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why?

Here's an example of what I was talking about earlier. Cloud cuckoo land. No wonder some are outraged at the thought of Hughes if that's who they think we should be appointing.

Didn't read what you wrote earlier. I'm throwing a name out there who is out of work at the moment and available. Realistically do I think we'll get him? No - but it's worth a phone call to his agent. Will I be outraged if we get Hughes ? No, would prefer Bilic but the fact the club have waited until 8 games left doesn't give us a lot of options. But why would you not consider getting the best option that might be available?

Why?

Didn't read what you wrote earlier. I'm throwing a name out there who is out of work at the moment and available. Realistically do I think we'll get him? No - but it's worth a phone call to his agent. Will I be outraged if we get Hughes ? No, would prefer Bilic but the fact the club have waited until 8 games left doesn't give us a lot of options. But why would you not consider getting the best option that might be available?

We won't be appointing Ancelotti.

Not sure why people are suggesting managers who are in jobs. Anyone we get now will be out of work and ready to step in.

People like Rogers or Jovanovic @ Fulham are not going to walk away from their clubs with just weeks left.

IMO there are only 3 people it could be, so be prepared for it to be one of these -

Hughes

Bilic

Silva

I reckon it wouldn't be difficult to prise Pearson away from his little Belgian club.

I reckon it wouldn't be difficult to prise Pearson away from his little Belgian club.

Pearson is a complete kn0b but I think he'd do better than Hughes, Bilic & maybe Silva. I'd certainly trust him to get the pre-season training right too - no more unfit players!