Pellegrino Sacked - Official

Katalinic

As others have said, the chances of staying up were zero with Pellegrino and pretty slim with anyone else. If Hughes comes in, we have a chance. I'm thankful for that.

His first act should be to get the squad together, single out Tadic and tell him to get off the pitch and clean the toilets.

Its for 8 games. Things like youth promotion is a non factor, and have no PL ready young players anyway.

What we want is someone who can motivate the players short term, who gives them confidence and most importantly works out the best way to win with this set of players right now.

For me:

Silva - last thing he needs in his career is another short term role

Hughes - from the obvious names he is the safest bet. Very PL experienced, firm character which is what our squad needs and knows all the PL sides and playera well, including ours. No communication problems or settle in time

Billic - slightly similar to Hughes but a bit more maverick. Can't really setup a defence though

Rodgers - delusional if anyone thinks there is a chance of that

Pearson - saved us in the Championship ages ago. Lots has happened since then. Old timer IMO.

Strachan - see Pearson

I think it will be Hughes or someone not yet mentioned.

Yep just about sums it up. If hughes keeps us up then he deserves longer. In many ways it's an extended job interview which whilst it is not ideal, is vastly superior to keeping pellegrino.

I can't remember such elation at the sacking of a Saints' manager since the Branfoot era. It was a sorry state for the club to have been in and, frankly, the fingers of blame might be better pointed at the senior management and owners who inflicted on the supporters two seasons of the most tedious football I can remember in over 50 years by the appointments of Puel and Pellegrino. I am slightly nervous about who the replacement might be but surely it cannot be any worse. Can it?

This should cheer a few people up !!!!

Branfoot had a better points per game ratio than Pellagrino

I expect Reed will go for Steve McClarren

"The team are one point above the relegation zone after winning only once in 17 Premier League games and there is a strong feeling that they now need a manager who will have an impact, but potentially also fit with a longer term playing philosophy that gives younger players their chance."

Doesn't that last bit rule out Hughes? I don't believe he's renound for blooding young players, is he?

managed over 450 games in Prem League, never been relegated, managed an international side, got an average Stoke team to 9th three seasons running but not good enough for Saints according to some !!

I don’t like him, never have, but beggars can’t be choosers and if he keeps us up who cares ?

He's never been relegated because the teams he's managed have always sacked him before relegation - happened at QPR, and now probably Stoke as well.

He's not a very good manager, and doesn't coach a very good defence.

When it comes to the next manager Saints are most definitely in the position of beggar rather than chooser. Anyone out there expecting a dream appointment is likely to be disappointed.

I don't think anyone is expecting a dream appointment, just one that isn't the man who was replaced at Stoke because he was taking them down.

At the end of the day, whoever comes in now gives us a better chance than we had. That alone should galvanise the support.

For what it's worth I thought Hughes got stale at Stoke, they made a few poor transfer choices and the atmosphere became a bit laboured after that. He did all right in the main over the years at Stoke.

And, let's not forget, he managed to beat Pelligrino, so he's better than him automatically.

Surprised no one is mentioning Bilic, got a sneaky feeling it may be him. Based on nothing other than a feeling.

I'd keep Kelvin in the organisation, definitely. But not running the show

Why? he has literally done nothing as a coach and did not deserve his promotion to the first team. There are so many better coaches in the club who didn't get a sniff because of their name and FWIW, they know what and are pretty p!ssed off about it..

Don't know what's wrong with some people. We have 8 games left in this terrible season. We will be pretty unnatractive to many candidates, we want Premier league experience and someone who has had a bit of success. Potter is too much of a gamble at this stage and other options people have named are unrealistic at this stage of the season.

Would you rather we kept pellegrino? Or gave Hughes a chance to possibly keep us up?

This. Any new appointment needs to be judged versus what we've had to endure thus far this season, rather than versus some alternate reality.

For what it's worth I thought Hughes got stale at Stoke, they made a few poor transfer choices and the atmosphere became a bit laboured after that. He did all right in the main over the years at Stoke.

I think this is a very valid point. It went wrong for him towards the end of his time at Stoke, but that doesn't make him a bad manager. Sometimes managers/players need to make a move elsewhere to rejuvenate themselves.

Look at Carlos Carvalhal - took Sheff Weds to the brink of promotion two seasons running, then things went wrong at the club for reasons outside of his control. I doubt many Swansea fans were too excited about his appointment at the time, but he's turned things around massively there and will, most likely, keep them up after they looked dead and buried earlier in the season.

Why? he has literally done nothing as a coach and did not deserve his promotion to the first team. There are so many better coaches in the club who didn't get a sniff because of their name and FWIW, they know what and are pretty p!ssed off about it..

Tbf, Kelvins pretty qualified for a rookie. Not the right time for him at this moment though, definitely.

What does that have to do with success in the premier league? Would you rather have kept pellegrino?

QPR were in the Premier League at the time. The point with Pellegrino is we can all cherry-pick when someone was good. Stoke finished on 44 points last season, and he had an awful record this season. Nothing to encourage me there.

Absolutely not, what makes you say that? I'm just saying Hughes would not be a good appointment (imho). He won't take a short contract (I wouldn't have thought), so we'll be stuck with him for years to come - whether that's in the Prem or the Championship.

QPR were in the Premier League at the time.

Absolutely not, what makes you say that? I'm just saying Hughes would not be a good appointment.

He's a great appointment in comparison to pellegrino. I wasn't referring to qpr I was talking about your comparison with pellegrino and his success in Spain. That has no relevance to Hughes having some success at Stoke.

As others have said, the chances of staying up were zero with Pellegrino and pretty slim with anyone else. If Hughes comes in, we have a chance. I'm thankful for that.

His first act should be to get the squad together, single out Tadic and tell him to get off the pitch and clean the toilets.

He would fall over on the slippery floor

He's a great appointment in comparison to pellegrino. I wasn't referring to qpr I was talking about your comparison with pellegrino and his success in Spain. That has no relevance to Hughes having some success at Stoke.

So what about QPR? Or last season when Stoke finished with 44 points - we sacked Puel with more points and I'm guessing you wanted him out...

My 5 year old daughter would be a great appointment in comparison to MP - doesn't mean I'm writing her CV for her though.

He (Hughes) won't take a short contract (I wouldn't have thought), so we'll be stuck with him for years to come - whether that's in the Prem or the Championship.

We can always sack him in the summer if we stay up (if we've got someone better lined up longer term). Yes, it'll cost us a few bob to do so, but if we're still in the premier league then the cost of paying up his contract will be peanuts in comparison to the financial implications of relegation. So, it's still possible to view Hughes a short term solution, even if he's given a longer contract...

So what about QPR? Or last season when Stoke finished with 44 points - we sacked Puel with more points and I'm guessing you wanted him out...

My 5 year old daughter would be a great appointment in comparison to MP - doesn't mean I'm writing her CV for her though.

Hughes has had some poor seasons and some decent season in the prem. He is experienced, British and knows the league. We need someone for 8 games minimum who can keep us up. Given our position right now, the fact we need someone in quickly, the fact we need someone who can command a bit of respect and how unnatractive we would be to higher profile candidates at this stage, Hughes would be one of the best realistic candidates available. If he can get us into similar form that saw Stoke finish top ten for three season in a row--no reason why not--then I'm happy to give him a chance.

We could have not sacked pellegrino this week and waited till the end of the season and Hughes as manager for the last 8 games is vastly preferable, particularly if he manages to keep us up.

What's that got to do with Hughes and Premier League success post that I was replying to?

Just pointing out that previous failures don't always make you a bad manager and it's more being the right fit at the right club. I try and look at what they can offer us, before making a decision.

Short term, Hughes would be alright, IMO.

Hughes has had some poor seasons and some decent season in the prem. He is experienced, British and knows the league. We need someone for 8 games minimum who can keep us up. Given our position right now, the fact we need someone in quickly, the fact we need someone who can command a bit of respect and how unnatractive we would be to higher profile candidates at this stage, Hughes would be one of the best realistic candidates available. If he can get us into similar form that saw Stoke finish top ten for three season in a row--no reason why not--then I'm happy to give him a chance.

We could have not sacked pellegrino this week and waited till the end of the season and Hughes as manager for the last 8 games is vastly preferable, particularly if he manages to keep us up.

its pretty clear you are delighted with Hughes. You see things in him I and others don't. It is not about would you prefer him than Pellegrino, as patently we would want most others than him.

The thing is I don't see Hughes as a motivator. He is a very quiet and reserved man, not a chest thumper.

I know it is left field but I would try Tim Sherwood. He has some PL experience, is good at bringing young players through and also is a good man manager.I know there is not a chance of him coming but at least he is not one of the ususal suspects.

Just pointing out that previous failures don't always make you a bad manager and it's more being the right fit at the right club. I try and look at what they can offer us, before making a decision.

Short term, Hughes would be alright, IMO.

Please tell me what he will offer us?

We can always sack him in the summer if we stay up (if we've got someone better lined up longer term). Yes, it'll cost us a few bob to do so, but if we're still in the premier league then the cost of paying up his contract will be peanuts in comparison to the financial implications of relegation. So, it's still possible to view Hughes a short term solution, even if he's given a longer contract...

Might make other managers think twice if we fire a bloke after 8 games including relegation survival and FA cup final.....

I imagine for a club our size sacking a manager after finishing 8th and getting to a cup final probably put off some better candidates which is why we ended up with MoPe.

Already explained. Has experience in the league so more likely to hot the ground running, was a good player and by many accounts would take no nonsense and would hopefully command more respect than pellegrino, has had some success on this league such as three top ten finishes with Stoke. Quite a lot of positives here given the short time frame to get someone in and the few amount of games we have left.

But given that you would prefer kelvin Davis I'm not sure we can take your views entirely seriously...

its pretty clear you are delighted with Hughes. You see things in him I and others don't. It is not about would you prefer him than Pellegrino, as patently we would want most others than him.

The thing is I don't see Hughes as a motivator. He is a very quiet and reserved man, not a chest thumper.

I know it is left field but I would try Tim Sherwood. He has some PL experience, is good at bringing young players through and also is a good man manager.I know there is not a chance of him coming but at least he is not one of the ususal suspects.

I'm not delighted with Hughes you cretin, I think there are some positives to his appointment and I'm extremely pleased we have sacked pellegrino which will give us a chance.

There's certainly many more positives to appointing Hughes than kelvin flipping Davis at any rate.

Organisation, passion and slightly more extravagant style then MoPe. Also, he's not a yes man and will put pressure on the board.

If he can replicate what he done at Blackburn, Fulham and the first 2 years of Stoke then we'll be fine.

Not my first choice and not ideal by any means, but beggars can't be choosers. All i'm saying is that he will not be as bad as many make out.

I realyl don't think we need much, just a manager who encourages the side to go out and try and win the game. We have the players, despite how frustrating they are at times. We have had a manager all season who is scared to try and win the game, we don't need Pep Guardiola to be able to improve on that. Any other season I would not want Mark Hughes, but considering the situation we find ourselves in, I would be satisfied with his arrival. I saw someone say on Twitter that Hughes only knows how to sign 6 foot 5 players to suit his style. I must be thinking of a different Mark Hughes than the one who signed Shaqiri, Bojan, Jesé, Afellay, Van Ginkel, Joe Allen, all in the name of trying to implement a more cultured brand of football than what Stoke had previously been known for. He isn't some lump-it-long Pulis type, he has attracted some pretty decorated players who have played for some huge football clubs, but haven't quite lived up to expectations. In some ways, his transfer dealings are rather similar to our own, and it's probably no coincidence that half the players we have signed have been linked to Stoke at some point (Cedric comes to mind, in particular). He's probably not a bad fit, in reality, just not particularly fashionable. I think we need to just appreciate the fact that we won't have Pellegrino in charge anymore, his replacement is not particularly important to me, personally.

Might make other managers think twice if we fire a bloke after 8 games including relegation survival and FA cup final.....

I imagine for a club our size sacking a manager after finishing 8th and getting to a cup final probably put off some better candidates which is why we ended up with MoPe.

Fair point

Nope - This was down to transfer budgets. We put all our eggs into the Tuchel basket and he turned us down at a very late stage. Silva would have accepted.

As many have said, which just continues to get ignored, Puel lost the dressing room - this is why he was sacked. It had absolutely nothing to do with our league position.

I'm not delighted with Hughes you cretin, I think there are some positives to his appointment and I'm extremely pleased we have sacked pellegrino which will give us a chance.

There's certainly many more positives to appointing Hughes than kelvin flipping Davis at any rate.

Before you call people a cretin, you ought to think how you have come across in this. You have lauded his appointment this whole thread.

Already explained. Has experience in the league so more likely to hot the ground running, was a good player and by many accounts would take no nonsense and would hopefully command more respect than pellegrino, has had some success on this league such as three top ten finishes with Stoke. Quite a lot of positives here given the short time frame to get someone in and the few amount of games we have left.

But given that you would prefer kelvin Davis I'm not sure we can take your views entirely seriously...

There is no doubt he is better than Pellegrino, but to have to take Hughes on!! I doubt he would be interested in a short term deal, and so we could be saddled with him long term. And yes Iwould prefer Kelvin to Hughes (short term) as he has a real passion for the club. IMO he would shake things up

Organisation, passion and slightly more extravagant style then MoPe. Also, he's not a yes man and will put pressure on the board.

If he can replicate what he done at Blackburn, Fulham and the first 2 years of Stoke then we'll be fine.

Not my first choice and not ideal by any means, but beggars can't be choosers. All i'm saying is that he will not be as bad as many make out.

That's very much my feeling on this.

If we cannot get in Marco Silva on a short term deal until the summer, then Hughes is ok.