New manager sweepstake

Batman

Surprised to hear that we aren't interested in Silva at this stage, I know a few board members were keen on him in the summer, but opted for Tuchel.

Personally, of those realistically available, I would go for Silva. Hughes and Bilic are much of a muchness for me and would be be good enough to keep us up - of the 2 I'd go for Bilic. Not sure any of those currently available are long term appointments though.

I think we will end up with Hughes, which wouldn't be as disastrous as most are making out (he actually done pretty well at Stoke). Hughes would be a solid enough manager in the championship should we drop, as well.

Rodgers would be my first choice (he'd be the perfect fit for us), but I can't see us getting him until the summer if at all.

Looking at comments on the Echo's Facebook page, what's this obsession our fans have with Monk? Seems a lovely bloke and all but so is MP. Played for us for a very short while and he's done nothing as a manager that wow's me. Apart from anything, he was appointed at another club, on a long term deal a matter of days ago.

Totally bizarre suggestion.

Depends if we are looking for an interim, or a permanent appointment.

My preferred choice will be Jakanovic but I doubt we can get him at this stage. If Fulham fail to get promotion, then maybe we can attract him in the summer.

If we're appointing now, and clearly we are, then we have choose from the redundants. Silva or Rowett would be good, still think WGS have something to offer, I can't get excited by Hughes, but accept he may be the one selected.

Looking at comments on the Echo's Facebook page, what's this obsession our fans have with Monk? Seems a lovely bloke and all but so is MP. Played for us for a very short while and he's done nothing as a manager that wow's me. Apart from anything, he was appointed at another club, on a long term deal a matter of days ago.

I didn't actually play for Saints but I've won six leagues and two cups in grassroots football and numerous things on Football Manager - plus I have my UEFA B Licence?

As the dust has settled, I'm starting to like the idea of Graham Potter. I really don't like the idea of Mark Hughes but fear it will be yet another cheap option.

Jokanovic, Rowett, Silva, Potter, Rogers for me.

He did present the medals at my son's Tyro League awards evening in 1999. Does that help?

Giving any new manager a 2-3 year deal would be a dangerous game though. Good chance that we’re struggle to win anymore matches this season and taking that into a championship season won’t exactly build the confidence. So short term until the end of the season.

As the dust has settled, I'm starting to like the idea of Graham Potter. I really don't like the idea of Mark Hughes but fear it will be yet another cheap option.

Jokanovic, Rowett, Silva, Potter, Rogers for me.

Yeah pretty much agree with this.

Potter would be a very big risk though, with 8 games and lets be honest very little management experience, I'm not sure he is the right man for us just yet.

Can't see Jokanovic, Rowett or Rodgers leaving their respective clubs at this stage.

All this talk of Hughes coming in makes me think it’s a plant to divert away from who we really want.

This is possible, especially if Benfica or even Everton are still interested in Silva. We probably wouldn't want to give them the chance to catch wind and gazump us.

I really don't like the sound of us wanting a proven PL manager - Stoke took that approach, lost out on potentially decent managers (because they weren't PL proven) and ended with Lambert... Look how that's ended for them.

In fact, looking at all those who have gone for PL proven (West Ham, Stoke and WBA - Ignoring Everton as you know BFS will keep you up regardless) have all struggled, whereas Swansea and Leicester have had an instant bounce.

Edited by SKD

Yeah pretty much agree with this.

Potter would be a very big risk though, with 8 games and lets be honest very little management experience, I'm not sure he is the right man for us just yet.

Can't see Jokanovic, Rowett or Rodgers leaving their respective clubs at this stage.

Agree - it's a gamble that most would take at the beginning of the season, but at the end with 8 games to go, you'd need big cahoona's to give him a shot at it.

Just thinking about managers who:

a) have (recent) premier league experience as stipulated by the club;

b) are 'available'. Because whether the club is prepared to buy someone out of their contract or not, time is very much of the essence so any unwanted approaches to managers can just be stalled by the other club for a couple of weeks to foil us;

c) would even consider the role, bearing in mind the possibilities of imminent relegation

The names I could come up with, other than the widely circulated Bilic (tactical pygmy), Hughes, and Silva (not being considered by the club according to AB)...

Craig Shakespeare

Frank De Boer

Paul Clement

Gary Megson

Mike Phelan

Francesco Guidolin

Tim Sherwood

Steve McLaren

Oh. Dear. God.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jeremy Wilson has Hughes as frontrunner. Surely this is as good a source as we can get at the moment?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/13/mark-hughes-favourite-southampton-job-aftermauricio-pellegrino/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Just to the end of the season please, then Potter or the Fulham guy in the summer.

Although I doubt anyone would really take an 8-10 game deal with us would they?

Just to the end of the season please, then Potter or the Fulham guy in the summer.

Although I doubt anyone would really take an 8-10 game deal with us would they?

Any new manager we get now isn't a stop gap, we can be sure of that. Whoever we get is another 'long term', what that means these days. But certainly more than 8 games anyway.

agree.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by Saint86

Of the all the realistic options, arguably other than Sliva, I think they are all pretty underwhelming.
If we wanted less underwhelming candidates and more choice then we should have sacked him in December. We didn't and this is what we are left with so we may as well make the most of it whoever we end up appointing.

Been following Saints since 2005. Alan Pardew remains the only appointment I'd actually heard of. Though when we appointed Burley and Adkins, I knew them both by their career but not by name. Like a "Ohhhhhh him!" kinda reaction.

From Sky:

SOUTHAMPTON LATEST

Southampton are searching for a new boss after calling time on Mauricio Pochettino's reign last night and we understand that Mark Hughes is one of the favourites, with the club hoping to have someone in place for Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final at Wigan.

Marco Silva and Slaven Bilic are other leading names with the bookmakers but it's our understanding those two are currently not under consideration.

First team coach and former goalkeeper Kelvin Davis has taken training today but whoever comes in full-time has a job on their hands: Southampton are only a point and a place above the bottom three after a run of just one win in 17 games.