New manager sweepstake

Batman

Potter is my pick anyway.

Young, done it the right way learning abroad, trying something different. Amazing achievements, earned a chance and most importantly - he would be here for next season regardless. If Silva comes in and we go down, he would almost certainly leave.

Potter feels more like a Saints pick. People will say it's a gamble, but keeping Pellegrino so long was the biggest gamble.

I'd take Potter as well. Or Rowett.

Potter is my pick anyway.

Young, done it the right way learning abroad, trying something different. Amazing achievements, earned a chance and most importantly - he would be here for next season regardless. If Silva comes in and we go down, he would almost certainly leave.

Potter feels more like a Saints pick. People will say it's a gamble, but keeping Pellegrino so long was the biggest gamble.

Has he got any experience with millionaire prima donnas though?

Is it mainly older people wanting Strachan? I mean I remember it, and like nostalgia but christ, football has moved on a lot and he has been awful since leaving us...14 YEARS AGO!

Hoddle? Perhaps the only man I'd prefer Pellegrino to.

Hughes, well, he's very average but he's far better than Pellegrino and we'd have a chance of staying up.

Still think we can attract Silva. Risk for him though. Yes it's 8 games and excuses built in, it wouldn't be his fault if we went down. But it also wouldn't look good after Hull and the poor run at Watford. He needs to pick his next job v carefully.

I'm not old at all :D

I'd only want him until the end of the season, he certainly isn't the long term option. But he could give us the short term push that we need.

Nobody’s mentioned Pulis.

I know I know.

But got Palarse out of the mire a few seasons ago - could be worth a 10 match contract with a huge incentive.

He’s doing pretty well at Middlesbrough doubt he’d leave.

Plus no thanks.

Great win ratio virtually everywhere he's been. Got a rough time and Chelsea and Spurs as he was still young and the players didn't like it.

I agree his results are half decent but the style will be excruciatingly similar to puel and pellegrino

Pretty sure there’s a quote with him saying he’d never manage in England again. Mark Hughes would almost be as depressing as keeping pellegrino if I’m honest
What rubbish. Mark Hughes will probably get the job and would be infinitely preferable to pellegrino despite his limitations.

I’d be happy with Hughes. It’s a fire-fighting job until the end of the season, you need someone with experience and stature who knows the Prem IMO.

He is the (type of) short term fire-fighter we need. Whoever it is, our remaining games look the most difficult of all relegation threatened sides - Stoke aside perhaps.

Hughes’ record at Stoke wasn’t too bad, as a short term fix he could be what we need.

Not sure why some on here seem to think we are in a position to pick and choose our ideal manager, there is going to be a limit to who we can attract.

Was just about to post the same. Beggars can’t be choosers in this situation, it has to be someone available right now and who will accept what may be a short term appointment. The best we can hope for is someone with experience of managing in premier league and a decent competent record. Bearing this in mind I would be OK with either Silva or Hughes.

Wouldn't be surprised, being the Saints way, if we just go for De Boer now. Nearly did in summer.

Uninspired, out of work, possession football. I know the reaction would be awful, and I wouldn't be excited, BUT, I still think he'd be a thousand times better than Pellegrino. 4 games at Palace isn't exactly a lot to judge it on.

You could equally ask how appalling he must have been to get sacked after four games.

Hughes:

1 keeps us up and he carries on next year

2 keeps us up, he takes the big bonus, and we go again next year with another new manager

3 go down and he is the man tasked with bringing us backup

4 go down, thanks for trying, here's your money, we are in the Championship with another new manager

Who would a Les be, I bet he's got wet sheets tonight. I could get behind 2 but 1, 3 and 4 are pretty depressing.

I would cut straight to Potter now.

There is no longer an opening for Silva at Goodison Park and, despite reports linking him with a possible move to Benfica in his native Portugal, he has made it clear his prime ambition is to coach in the Premier League.

The Mail

Edited by Pilchards

Why Not? Gotta get a big name in, instantly command respect from the players.
Because we have 8 games and are a good bet to be relegated so we won't be attracting managers above our station with big reputations. It will be Hughes or someone of a similar calibre I expect. All this stuff about paying a big name 10 million to keep us up has never been done in the history of the league and we won't do it either.

Can’t believe our fans are so stupid sometimes. Stoke fans hated him.

Haha, one of the biggest lunatics on the forum calling me stupid.

I said for 8 games it will hopefully be fine, I’m hardly handing him a lifetime contract.

...b8b4c97e6bbb63bfbb605ab4f44d3e41.jpg

Premier League managerial experience...that would be a first for a Saints replacement manager in the second Premer League era...Poch no PL experience, Koeman, no PL experience, Puel no PL experience, Pellegrino no PL experience (and completely useless of course)

Hughes underwhelms but as stated before he’d be better than his predecessor and we’d have a chance, certainly better than if Pellegrino stayed. I don’t really like him as a long-term replacement but he may be an alright Championship manager I suppose.