Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 82

Thread: Marco Silva

  1. #1

    Default Marco Silva

    Right, stick my neck out here as I know ITK snippets usually get followed with a torrent of abuse....

    I've just spoken to my contact (very senior, do not doubt them one bit) at the club and he has said that Marco Silva is being interview today. I don't know what time or where, but I know it's not at the ground or Staplewood. Most probably be in London, I'd have thought.

    I'm not saying that this means he will become our manager (i'll post outcome of meeting if I can't get it out of him - which is doubtful) as I think we have also spoken to Hughes, but it pretty much blows hat Wilson article out of the water (I think used as a smoke screen).

    As I've said before a number of times, we spoke to him last summer and at least 1 board member was very keen. I wouldn't be surprised if he was our new manager, personally.

    Not a great deal of info and believe me, take with a pinch of salt or outright ignore it, that's up to you... just don't shoot the messenger
    Last edited by SKD; 13-03-2018 at 11:52 AM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,499
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I'd take him if that were true. We've had a ton of leaks about managers before though and most are wrong so I'll hold fire until we get anything more concrete. Thanks for the snippets though.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I'd take him if that were true. We've had a ton of leaks about managers before though and most are wrong so I'll hold fire until we get anything more concrete. Thanks for the snippets though.
    Oh without a doubt. I'd imagine we are going through the process of speaking to a number of different candidates (we'd be stupid not to), just that Silva is one of them (which contradicts what Wilson has told us).

  4. #4

    Default

    Appreciate the info. For what it's worth I can only see it being one of the 3:

    Hughes
    Silva
    Bilic

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Oh without a doubt. I'd imagine we are going through the process of speaking to a number of different candidates (we'd be stupid not to), just that Silva is one of them (which contradicts what Wilson has told us).
    Wilson has done a little get out with the line "unless things have changed" or similar either in that article or as a tweet though

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Soros HQ
    Posts
    17,212
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Right, stick my neck out here as I know ITK snippets usually get followed with a torrent of abuse....

    I've just spoken to my contact (very senior, do not doubt them one bit) at the club and he has said that Marco Silva is being interview today. I don't know what time or where, but I know it's not at the ground or Staplewood. Most probably be in London, I'd have thought.

    I'm not saying that this means he will become our manager (i'll post outcome of meeting if I can't get it out of him - which is doubtful) as I think we have also spoken to Hughes, but it pretty much blows hat Wilson article out of the water (I think used as a smoke screen).

    As I've said before a number of times, we spoke to him last summer and at least 1 board member was very keen. I wouldn't be surprised if he was our new manager, personally.

    Not a great deal of info and believe me, take with a pinch of salt or outright ignore it, that's up to you... just don't shoot the messenger
    Can we shoot the message instead?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Windsor
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Right, stick my neck out here as I know ITK snippets ........
    we have also spoken to Hughes, but it pretty much blows hat Wilson article out of the water (I think used as a smoke screen).

    As I've said before a number of times...
    I assume thats the Jeremy Wilson and not this from Callum Wilson

  8. #8

    Default

    I hope youre right SKD. Id prefer Marco Silva to Hughes.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    5 metres outside the detailed bit on Google Earth
    Posts
    3,446

    Default

    I don't know anything about Silva. Is he any good? Can someone give me an idiot's guide to why he's such a stand out popular choice?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,499
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norwaysaint View Post
    I don't know anything about Silva. Is he any good? Can someone give me an idiot's guide to why he's such a stand out popular choice?
    Read a good article about him a few months ago about how he really looks into the opposition in details and sets up to deal with each game individually. Sounds much better than what we have

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Soros HQ
    Posts
    17,212
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norwaysaint View Post
    I don't know anything about Silva. Is he any good? Can someone give me an idiot's guide to why he's such a stand out popular choice?
    Hipsters choice. Won a noddy league in Greece. Ensured Hull were s**t but less s**t than they might have been before fizzling out at Watford after having his head turned by Everton. Nice hair. Nice suit.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Read a good article about him a few months ago about how he really looks into the opposition in details and sets up to deal with each game individually. Sounds much better than what we have
    In fairness, IIRC the same was said about Pelligrino...

  13. #13

    Default

    Would prefer Silva to Hughes.

    Watford fan I know seems to think he caused some friction with the players (not necessarily a bad thing) and that he struggled to get the team together defensively. Most of the upset from him though seems to be about the Everton tapping up, that his head was turned too easily.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,499
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    In fairness, IIRC the same was said about Pelligrino...
    True but he has had a fair bit more success than pellegrino and seems more passionate. I don't think he has a reputation for playing like pellegrino did anyway which will be sweet relief after the last 18 months if nothing else.

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,871
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20161...esults_summary

    to those doubting Silva- he joined Hull on the 5th January

    If you look at all his PL results from that day onwards, he managed 6 WINS in 18 games with what is a weaker squad. Pellegrino has only managed 5 in 30 with a better team than Hull had.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nta786 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–1...esults_summary

    to those doubting Silva- he joined Hull on the 5th January

    If you look at all his PL results from that day onwards, he managed 6 WINS in 18 games with what is a weaker squad. Pellegrino has only managed 5 in 30 with a better team than Hull had.
    How I see it too. His stats are better that MP and with arguably weaker squads.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nta786 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–1...esults_summary

    to those doubting Silva- he joined Hull on the 5th January

    If you look at all his PL results from that day onwards, he managed 6 WINS in 18 games with what is a weaker squad. Pellegrino has only managed 5 in 30 with a better team than Hull had.
    And they flogged their top scorer, which in their position was suicidal.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    How I see it too. His stats are better that MP and with arguably weaker squads.
    Our criteria isn't just about finding someone better than MP.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Can we shoot the message instead?
    More than welcome to... As i said, as far as I'm aware at this stage it is just an interview (we have spoken to Hughes as well, who we liked).

    Personally, my money is on Hughes until the end of the season, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Silva if we see him as long term replacement.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
    How I see it too. His stats are better that MP and with arguably weaker squads.
    Our criteria isn't just about finding someone better than MP.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nta786 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–1...esults_summary

    to those doubting Silva- he joined Hull on the 5th January

    If you look at all his PL results from that day onwards, he managed 6 WINS in 18 games with what is a weaker squad. Pellegrino has only managed 5 in 30 with a better team than Hull had.
    The strange thing about his time at Hull was how they collapsed in the last few games when they had done so well to get close to survival. The momentum seemed to be with them and then... they lost to Sunderland. And then got thrashed in their final two matches.

  22. #22

    Default

    Wilson now saying Hughes is close...

  23. #23

    Default

    As i told view from the top last night my contact told me his money was on Silva, i also know for a fact we spoke to Bilic in person before xmas though.

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Isle of Wight and Tokyo
    Posts
    785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Read a good article about him a few months ago about how he really looks into the opposition in details and sets up to deal with each game individually. Sounds much better than what we have
    One would have hoped such a process would be a minimum requirement with every manager.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bartonia 2, 000, 000 years ago
    Posts
    6,679

    Default

    Thought Hughes has been offered it ?

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norwaysaint View Post
    I don't know anything about Silva. Is he any good? Can someone give me an idiot's guide to why he's such a stand out popular choice?

    Gets his head turned easily by flattery from Merseyside which makes him an ideal Southampton employee....

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Soros HQ
    Posts
    17,212
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simo View Post
    Thought Hughes has been offered it ?
    Just like there's no chance that the Wigan game would be on a Sunday.

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,499
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsland Codger View Post
    One would have hoped such a process would be a minimum requirement with every manager.
    I'm not sure that's always the case. On of pochettinos downsides is he stuck rigidly to his tactics every game regardless of the opposition which meant we lost or drew some games that we could have won had he been a little cannier.

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    16,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Right, stick my neck out here as I know ITK snippets usually get followed with a torrent of abuse....

    I've just spoken to my contact (very senior, do not doubt them one bit) at the club and he has said that Marco Silva is being interview today. I don't know what time or where, but I know it's not at the ground or Staplewood. Most probably be in London, I'd have thought.

    I'm not saying that this means he will become our manager (i'll post outcome of meeting if I can't get it out of him - which is doubtful) as I think we have also spoken to Hughes, but it pretty much blows hat Wilson article out of the water (I think used as a smoke screen).

    As I've said before a number of times, we spoke to him last summer and at least 1 board member was very keen. I wouldn't be surprised if he was our new manager, personally.

    Not a great deal of info and believe me, take with a pinch of salt or outright ignore it, that's up to you... just don't shoot the messenger
    Cheers for posting.

    I don't think anyone will criticise this sort of #ITK post. It's the cryptic ones that are not falsifiable and don't actually contain any information that wind people up, along with ones that are clearly bull.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Soros HQ
    Posts
    17,212
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I'm not sure that's always the case. On of pochettinos downsides is he stuck rigidly to his tactics every game regardless of the opposition which meant we lost or drew some games that we could have won had he been a little cannier.
    We have no idea how far this was true. Its lazy newspaper copy. Clearly Poch had a certain way of playing and liked to take the game to the big teams -and on many occasions, it bore fruit. But to say he didnt study the opposition or make adjustments is obviously ridiculous. And even if it was true, we have no way of comparing what would have happened had MP set us up in response to the opposition. One of Pellegrino's major failings is not that he didn't study the opposition in detail, its that he did it excessively.
    Last edited by shurlock; 13-03-2018 at 01:02 PM.

  31. #31

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!
    Posts
    17,394

    Default

    If it is Silva I imagine it will be a short term deal and then reassess in the summer. He dropped Hull like a hot brick once they were relegated he has no interest in managing in the championship.



    I still think Silva will be off to Everton in the summer and BFS will be given the old heave ho.
    Last edited by doddisalegend; 13-03-2018 at 01:06 PM.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,499
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    We have no idea how far this was true. Its lazy newspaper copy. Clearly Poch had a certain way of playing and liked to take the game to the big teams -and on many occasions, it bore fruit. But to say he didnt study the opposition or make adjustments is obviously ridiculous. And even if it was true, we have no way of comparing what would have happened where we did set up in response to the opposition. One of Pellegrino's major failings is not that he doesn't study the opposition in detail, its that he's overly conscious about the opposition.
    I don't think it's lazy newspaper copy to say that there were many games where we were crying out for a change of tactics and we seemingly did not have a plan b if plan a wasn't working (some spurs fans I know say similar.) it's not earth shattering to say that some managers have a more fluid and adaptable way of doing things whilst some stick more to a particular philosophy.

  33. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    If it is Silva I imagine it will be a short term deal and then reassess in the summer. He dropped Hull like a hot brick once they were relegated he has no interest in managing in the championship.

    I'm still think Silva will be off to Everton in the summer and BFS will be given the old heave ho.
    Independent reporting Benfica keen to offer a deal in the summer too.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    7,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by norwaysaint View Post
    I don't know anything about Silva. Is he any good? Can someone give me an idiot's guide to why he's such a stand out popular choice?
    He's foreign.

  35. #35

    Default

    Was watching Silva when we played Watford away this season, he was kicking every ball, constantly screaming at the 4th official when decisions went against him, celebrated like a mad man when they scored and if i remember was not scared of making changes very early in the game. Reading Watford fans comments they couldn't get there heads round why he only plays one up top !! Sounds familiar !!

  36. #36

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Soros HQ
    Posts
    17,212
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I don't think it's lazy newspaper copy to say that there were many games where we were crying out for a change of tactics and we seemingly did not have a plan b if plan a wasn't working (some spurs fans I know say similar.) it's not earth shattering to say that some managers have a more fluid and adaptable way of doing things whilst some stick more to a particular philosophy.
    More often we didn't have the players on the bench to make a difference. After Lallana, Lambert and Jrod, we had very few genuine impact players. But that's an argument for another day.

  37. #37

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,499
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    More often we didn't have the players on the bench to make a difference. After Lallana, Lambert and Jrod, we had very few genuine impact players. But that's an argument for another day.
    That may be true to a degree but I stand by my view that pochettino could have done more to change a game when things weren't working either with personnel or tactics.

    Hopefully this will be something that silva is adept at anyway if we end up appointing him (probably not, it will be Hughes most likely.)

  38. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    I hope you’re right SKD. I’d prefer Marco Silva to Hughes.
    definitely

  39. #39

    Default

    Would definitely prefer Silva to Hughes...but doubt it will actually happen.

    I expect Hughes. I also expect us to still go down if that's who we employ.

  40. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nta786 View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20161...esults_summary

    to those doubting Silva- he joined Hull on the 5th January

    If you look at all his PL results from that day onwards, he managed 6 WINS in 18 games with what is a weaker squad. Pellegrino has only managed 5 in 30 with a better team than Hull had.
    Our Ops Director is a Hull guy and big Hull fan, said Silva was excellent, worked hard to keep them up and nearly succeeded. They were sorry to lose him but had to accept his notice. He said (at my desk 10 mins ago) if there's any chance we can get him, we should not hesitate. Also joked with me that Adkins is not much kop.

  41. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saintoaks View Post
    Was watching Silva when we played Watford away this season, he was kicking every ball, constantly screaming at the 4th official when decisions went against him, celebrated like a mad man when they scored and if i remember was not scared of making changes very early in the game. Reading Watford fans comments they couldn't get there heads round why he only plays one up top !! Sounds familiar !!
    I've said before that doesn't matter, if the 3 in the 4-2-3-1 support the 1. Look at Tottenham, Man U etc. They support the front man when attacking. Our 3 just go sideways or back.

  42. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    I've said before that doesn't matter, if the 3 in the 4-2-3-1 support the 1. Look at Tottenham, Man U etc. They support the front man when attacking. Our 3 just go sideways or back.
    Exactly. The reason it "sounds familiar" is because nearly every manager prefers to play one up front. It's just that most managers don't play 1 up front with no support while telling players not to pass it forwards if there is even a remote possibility of losing the ball.

  43. #43

    Default

    Hope you are right, we should have nabbed him in January, I'd be dissapointed with Hughes, his performance with most clubs has been sub par and we need an immediate boost.

    Silva has got that with both his last two clubs, sure Hull still got relegated but he almost did it with a weaker squad and Watford started strongly.

    His loyalty might be in question but who cares it's 8 games, get him in, re-asses in the summer.

  44. #44

    Default

    Please not Hughes!!!!!

  45. #45

    Default

    I am told that Silva would not entertain coming to us as we rejected him last summer, so it will be a two fingered no ("you had your chance...") from him.

  46. #46

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    28,499
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles34 View Post
    I am told that Silva would not entertain coming to us as we rejected him last summer, so it will be a two fingered no ("you had your chance...") from him.
    Well one of you has to be wrong. If he was just going to reject us he wouldn't be meeting us today.

  47. Default

    Silva was the appointment we should have made after Koeman left.

    Possibly too late for us and him now.

    Mark Hughes appointment is probably about our level just now.

    How quickly we've fallen.......

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Soros HQ
    Posts
    17,212
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Silva was the appointment we should have made after Koeman left.

    Possibly too late for us and him now.

    Mark Hughes appointment is probably about our level just now.

    How quickly we've fallen.......
    Not enough to halt the downward phase of the momentum curve, then?

  49. #49

    Default

    Think it all comes down to Reeds ego, if he's looking for another yes man, then it'll be Hughes, if he's willing to let go slightly and look for a guy who brings the most impact to the team, it'll be Silva.

    Personally I don't think Reed's ego will allow taking more of a back seat so it'll be Hughes,

  50. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Millbrook Saint View Post
    Think it all comes down to Reeds ego, if he's looking for another yes man, then it'll be Hughes, if he's willing to let go slightly and look for a guy who brings the most impact to the team, it'll be Silva.

    Personally I don't think Reed's ego will allow taking more of a back seat so it'll be Hughes,
    How Hughes has got the reputation of a yes man?

    Genuinely interested.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •