So...Mark Hughes

Saint Garrett

I think Hughes is a good choice to keep us up. Very experienced in the Premier League, clearly more of a “no nonsense” character than Pellegrino and realistically we need three wins and a couple of draws maximum. As other have said, he hasn had one poor half season with Stoke and the same with QPR, but very good at Blackburn, City, Fulham, Wales and four seasons at Stoke with three of them in 9th place.

It may be that he himself favours a short term deal with an option to extend in the summer. Has never managed in the championship and probably doesn’t want to start now.

IMO Silva, Bosz, Potter, Wilder, Sanches Flores.

Don't buy the risk etc. It's a really tough ask with 8 tough games left anyway. Club needs a lift. It'll get one regardless with Pellegrino gone, huge relief. But appointing Hughes won't be greeted well by some. I disagree with basing it all on his last job, it's simplistic, but that will be the reaction from many.

Potter - do You really think that is less risky and realistic considering we need someone now and he already has a job?

If he did fancy throwing his career away for an 8 game relegation battle, is getting a manager with zero Premier League experience a good idea considering we need results straight away?

He has done great in Sweden but throwing him into this season’s cluster-**** hoping he will instantly make an impact would be way way more risky than Hughes.

For 8 games it makes a lot of sense appointing Hughes. The interesting thing for me will be seeing if Watson stays. If he leaves, sounds like Hughes could be more long term.

Wouldn't have been my first choice, but will support him until at least the end of the season. This situation is not if his doing. Also believe he will be motivated to put Stoke down, he's that type of a fella........

Mark Hughes may not be the calibre of manager most 'fans' on here wanted but if you haven't noticed, and to put it politely, we are now one of the worst sides in the prem and need to rebuild our reputation. Who ever we appoint is a massive gamble. I'd much rather we appoint someone who knows the league and can get us playing in an actual formation. Hughes cares, he's thoughtful and still passionate about the game. He has a point to prove. We find ourselves in a new situation. We've got a great set up and we've never before allowed a manager who knows the league to take the reins. Every manager has basically come in to a new league to manage us. Two days ago, we were dead and nearly buried. Now we have some hope again. Itll be the same people melting about Hughes that wanted Puel out. COYR

Absolutely 100% this.

For those moaning about this appointment, answer me this. How many realistic available candidates for the job have 3 top 10 premier league finishes on their cv, and at a similar size club to us? In our current position, that is surely as good as anyone could have expected.

And if it’s true that it’s a short term contract to the end of the season, even better as we are not committing ourselves to him beyond this season. Also gives Hughes great incentive to pull this off, and as said above, he has a massive point to prove.

Why do people keep on about Potter ffs ?

He has done a great job where he is but has he ever managed in the Premier League or Championship in England ?

No.

So why do some people think he could come into a club and in just eight matches save them from relegation with absolutely no experience at that level.

Aside from the implications for the club, in this case ours, how unfair would that be on Potter himself ?

Madness

So.. a team which was below us in the table sack their manager because he was going to get them relegated and we appoint him as our manager to save us from relegation???? Is there really nobody left at the club who can see how stupid this is??? #LesReedmustbesuffferingfromseniledementia

Sounds to me like you're the stupid one.

IMO Silva, Bosz, Potter, Wilder, Sanches Flores.

Don't buy the risk etc. It's a really tough ask with 8 tough games left anyway. Club needs a lift. It'll get one regardless with Pellegrino gone, huge relief. But appointing Hughes won't be greeted well by some. I disagree with basing it all on his last job, it's simplistic, but that will be the reaction from many.

Silva wouldn't come here now, ditto Bosz, absolute pie in the sky. Sanches Flores in employment and turned down Stoke, not coming. Wilder also in a job and zero experience in the Prem, and he's not going to walk out on SUFC right now.

And Potter is the worst example of hipster flavour of the month I think I have ever seen, fuc king ludicrous. Why don't you recommend Rikard Norling or Magnus Pehrsson or Özcan Melkemichel instead, they all did better than Potter in the Swedish league.

He has done a great job where he is but has he ever managed in the Premier League or Championship in England ?

No.

So why do some people think he could come into a club and in just eight matches save them from relegation with absolutely no experience at that level.

Aside from the implications for the club, in this case ours, how unfair would that be on Potter himself ?

Madness

Because a lot of our fans are absolutely clueless and not particularly bright in general , id guess

No.

Madness

It's only experts on Swedish football who have a deep and thorough understanding of the Swedish football scene and have evaluated and contextualised his performance against his peer group of Swedish football managers over the last decade.

Definitely not just people who have read an article in a weekend paper and vaguely remember he played for us a couple of times. Definitely not that.

On a short term 8 game deal how can anyone really say its the wrong appointment?

Will we have a different manager for the cup games then?

Seriously, imagine if Hughes kept us up and won the FA Cup.... instant McMenemy level legendary status!

I don't like what I've seen of Mark Hughes as a player or as a manager but he has the know-how and the experience of premier League and UK in general to make the impact we need immediately and I think he will do that (fingers crossed).

I'll go with Hughes , saw him play with us under Dave Jones who in my opinion didnt play him to his strengths,to fair he didnt paly much better at Everton either

Whoever we appoint we need to make sure his name is sung loud and proud , no time for naysayers we really have one opportunity at home, to get the team moving , who knows maybe we will get the new man bounce for once, lets face it any appointment is a gamble , you never know the dynamic of a team, the personal conflicts, so maybe Hughes will get them going maybe not but we know after this weekend MoPe wasn't gonna do it.

He’s clearly an ok manager and can do a job for us. The only question for me is why did he lose the players at Stoke. In the end not even being able to rally them against Coventry.

He’s likely to be coming into a dressing room similar to the one he left which is low on confidence, the only difference I can see is he’s new to the team and their new to his messages so this might be the boost we need

He’s clearly an ok manager and can do a job for us. The only question for me is why did he lose the players at Stoke. In the end not even being able to rally them against Coventry.

He’s likely to be coming into a dressing room similar to the one he left which is low on confidence, the only difference I can see is he’s new to the team and their new to his messages so this might be the boost we need

To be fair they did have 29 shots in that Coventry game, so while they did go out it wasn't exactly with a whimper.

Well it is true......
The point is that some people would not be satisfied with whoever we got. They have completely unrealistic expectations and very little understanding of our situation. Hughes is probably the best person we could get who would be happy to come in for these final 8 games and who knows the league so doesn't need much bedding in.

It’s a complex one this. Glad to see the back of MP, but purely because of the style of football played and the lack of any form of attacking guile. Whoever comes in needs to reverse this to get results and so if that’s Hughes then he’s the right choice, whether we manage to stay up or not...at least we gave it the best shot.

I’ve never been particularly concerned about the details of past managerial appointments - if in general he has managed at a high level especially in the EPL then it’s more about his fit with the various aspects of THIS club now that matters the most. It could be that Hughes is a perfect fit for Saints - we’ll know in 3 or 4 games time I suspect because we play differently, the key strikers start scoring and we start winning games.

The one doubt I have is not directly with Hughes...it’s that he’s taken the position because it’s a no lose scenario and he couldn’t give a monkeys that Les is calling the shots. If the style of play doesn’t change as a result of the appointment of any new manager, then we’re still fooked and it will tell you all you need to know about how this club is being run under dear old Les.

The point is that some people would not be satisfied with whoever we got. They have completely unrealistic expectations and very little understanding of our situation. Hughes is probably the best person we could get who would be happy to come in for these final 8 games and who knows the league so doesn't need much bedding in.

Quite so. Here we are 5 minutes to midnight with 8 games left and people are expecting Managers' who already have good jobs to come on over, or Silva who clearly is destined for Porto or Everton, or Bilic who tailed off badly at West Ham. In the circumstances, Hughes is a good appointment. The real anger should be directed at the belated sacking of Pellegrino, not the bloke coming in.

Quite so. Here we are 5 minutes to midnight with 8 games left and people are expecting Managers' who already have good jobs to come on over, or Silva who clearly is destined for Porto or Everton, or Bilic who tailed off badly at West Ham. In the circumstances, Hughes is a good appointment. The real anger should be directed at the belated sacking of Pellegrino, not the bloke coming in.

Well said.

So.. a team which was below us in the table sack their manager because he was going to get them relegated and we appoint him as our manager to save us from relegation???? Is there really nobody left at the club who can see how stupid this is??? #LesReedmustbesuffferingfromseniledementia

What's stupid is not sacking the clown months ago. I'd have preferred Pearson, but I'm delighted we now have a manager who is very experienced, and above all not a drooling moron who's as thick as a pile of bricks.

I really don't get the Hughes love?? Did nothing with Wales, did ok at Blackburn but was sacked at City for poor results despite big spending, went to QPR but was sacked for poor results despite big spending, went to Fulham.......

I really don't get the Hughes love?? Did nothing with Wales, did ok at Blackburn but was sacked at City for poor results despite big spending, went to QPR but was sacked for poor results despite big spending, went to Fulham.......

I don't think there's any "love" just an understanding that our choices are extremely limited so late in the day and he's an upgrade on Pell. I don't think there's one person, including Les Reed who'd have picked him had this been pre season, but it's not. He's done ok at other clubs, nothing special but not quite as bad as you make out. It's all pretty irrelevant anyway. The only thing that matters is can he get 1 more win than Huddersfield, West Ham or Swansea or pick up the same points as palace with our squad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no love... Not sure why you would say that. It is clear, we stuck with Pellegrino - the worst managers we have ever had in the modern era or try someone else.

The like of carlo anceloti would not touch us when we finished 6th ffs let alone now when we are just about appalling

Bit harsh on his City stint, he was always under pressure as he wasn't a fashionable name. I believe he got sacked with them in the top 6 and only losing twice in that season at that point. Plus the big name signings at that time weren't that great, think Lescott...

He turned Wales from genuinely nothing under Bobby Gould into potential qualifiers including defeat of Italy. The performance of the two managers either side of him show how well he did.

And your "okay" at Blackburn included finishing 6th, 10th, 7th. When he finished sixth he achieved exactly the same points total as Koeman did when he finished sixth. Did Koeman only do "okay" for us?

City he took to previously unknown heights in the Prem era but in a time of complete revolution at the club.

He took Fulham to eighth in his one season, so what's your point there?

Edited by CB Fry

I don't like what I've seen of Mark Hughes as a player or as a manager but he has the know-how and the experience of premier League and UK in general to make the impact we need immediately and I think he will do that (fingers crossed).

Yep. Seems up himself and loves a good handshake controversy but who gives a sh1t if he can get our little darlings motivated and playing,

Indeed. Hughes's appointment is as far removed from rocket science as it's possible to get, and yet some people don't get it. That's Saintsweb for ya :)

Hughes on a 3 month 'trial' contract is as good as it gets in our situation.

I keep seeing posts ridiculing the unrealistic suggestion of Ancellotti. Rightly so if true but have any deluded fools actually put him forward as a potential manager?

A couple did on here. Then you had someone hailing kelvin Davis over Hughes

Just plain weird

He turned Wales from genuinely nothing under Bobby Gould into potential qualifiers including defeat of Italy. The performance of the two managers either side of him show how well he did.

And your "okay" at Blackburn included finishing 6th, 10th, 7th. When he finished sixth he achieved exactly the same points total as Koeman did when he finished sixth. Did Koeman only do "okay" for us?

City he took to previously unknown heights in the Prem era but in a time of complete revolution at the club.

He took Fulham to eighth in his one season, so what's your point there?

I think its a case of either simple delusion or some sort of trendy bandwagoning. Everyone seems to be anti Hughes, and Im not entirely sure why to be honest.

Ok, if this was at the start of the year he obviously isn't our first choice, he is the wrong fit . But right now, in our predicament I think we are lucky to have a manager of his experience and calibre even remotely interested with us.

We are one point from the relegation zone with a hellish run in, arguably, minus WBA we are the worst team in the prem right now, and god knows how we aren't already in a worse position then we already are.

We have no real goals in the side, two CBs that are hardly consistently solid.

I'd snap Hughes hand off right now, our priority is staying up, nothing else matters and Hughes knows the job, the prem and likely has an awareness of ours and our rivals players

Ok, if this was at the start of the year he obviously isn't our first choice, he is the wrong fit . But right now, in our predicament I think we are lucky to have a manager of his experience and calibre even remotely interested with us.

That’s about the rub of it. Like most managers he has a mixed history of success and failure but he gives us a chance and that is all we can ask for at this point. He’ll certainly be putting a few rockets up backsides you would think.

Howard is right. Its a complete no-brainer. Never has a managerial decision been more simple at SFC.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16084358.COMMENT__Hughes_fits_the_bill/

I think this pretty much sums it up. Not anyone’s first choice, but good enough to keep us up and probably the best fit of those available.

I’d be concerned if we keep him into next season (unless we go down, where he’ll be perfect).

2/3 more wins should see us safe.

I think this pretty much sums it up. Not anyone’s first choice, but good enough to keep us up and probably the best fit of those available.

I’d be concerned if we keep him into next season (unless we go down, where he’ll be perfect).

2/3 more wins should see us safe.

If Hughes is good enough to keep us up, surely he would be good enough to get us back to solid top half next season, the standard of the premier league is dire! He has shown he can attract decent players, and he still has the desire to succeed. If he keep us up, I would give him one year rolling contract

Definitely not my choice of manager but beggars can't be choosers and if he keeps us up that is all that matters.

Would love to be in that changing room when he tells the likes of Tadic to take his boots off and get out!.....He will demand fighters and if he has been watching any of our games he will know exactly who needs a firm kick up their arses!

To be honest while I think we now have a better chance of staying up than with Pellegrino in charge, I think it extremely unlikely whichever candidate takes charge. I Do not believe that someone like Hughes is going to come in with the previso it’s only until the end of the season, so if he does get the job it’ll probably be on a two or three year contract. As I don’t think he’s a good fit for the job I’d rather the board pick the right person for the long term, even if it means appointing an interim coach from within until the end of the season. While I don’t think Ancelotti is in the frame (why would he lower himself), I’d suggest that with only 8 games left he’s the only type of coach that would be willing to take such a short job.

The Echo article sums it up, this is no time to experiment - we need a proven manager and we don't have a lot of options. If Silva isn't coming then Hughes is the next best fit for what we need right now.

My biggest concern about him is his motivational qualities, he comes across as pretty dour when the team badly needs an injection of energy after the Mopey reign. That said, Hughes does have a solid prem record so I can see the logic.

Like most others not my first choice but when you're dipping in the bins you can't afford to turn your nose up at opportunities. Whoever comes I wish them the best of luck.