So...Mark Hughes

Saint Garrett

I'm not sure I could ever not support Saints. I can see myself being disinterested but I'll always look up the result as the game finished.

Mark Hughes being appointed may very well test that resolve to the limit. Certainly wouldn't give the club any of my money in the way of purchasing tickets while he was in charge. I pray it's a stop gap until the season at worst and that it's just paper nonsense at best.

Me neither. Hughes will be the Kiss of Death!

I keep seeing this argument 'throwing money at someone’ ‘‘bringing an upcoming manager in'' - who? Rowett? Potter? Rodgers? Jokanovik - those sorts? They're all in jobs. We're not going to be appointing a manager who is currently in a job, it a nonsensical move for both the 'selling club' and the manager himself, especially people like Rowett and Potter who could end up making very bad career choices, they will be better suited to waiting a few months as I've sure all their advisors will be saying.

People like Tuchel, Ancelotti, AVB are pure pie in the sky suggestions. We are not attractive to managers of that ilk.

We've made our bed and we have to lie in it. Hughes/Bilic is what I expect and that's the clubs fault, but that won't stop me supporting them and getting behind them. We needed a fresh start and whatever happens, we've got one.

This

And if he does the unlikely and keeps us up then he deserves another season.

We really aren’t in a position to start whining about who takes over now just what went on before

All but complete I’d say

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/13/mark-hughes-favourite-southampton-job-aftermauricio-pellegrino/amp/

Something had to change but I certainly don’t feel as excited as I did when Hughes joined us as a player.

He hardly set the world alight for us as a player, here is hoping he proves me wrong this time

He came here as a player when he was washed up and finished and now is going to return as manager under the same circumstances! I'd rather saggy chops on an 8 game contract Hughes will relegate us and mess up any chance at bouncing straight back he is a busted flush.

If so many don't like Hughes, are there any better alternatives out there at this juncture in the season, honestly?

Can't believe we've spent 7 months hoping to get rid of Pellegrino and now we have, we're turning our nose up at solid Premier League manager.

I don't want him here long-term but with his record, we should definitely be a little more buoyed and positive for the remaining 8 games.

Some proper whingey, dinny melts on here.

All but complete I’d say

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/13/mark-hughes-favourite-southampton-job-aftermauricio-pellegrino/amp/

Something had to change but I certainly don’t feel as excited as I did when Hughes joined us as a player.

He hardly set the world alight for us as a player, here is hoping he proves me wrong this time

Hmm. A very short-term contract according to this, with the possibility of staking a claim for the job on a long-term basis.

If so many don't like Hughes, are there any better alternatives out there at this juncture in the season, honestly?

Can't believe we've spent 7 months hoping to get rid of Pellegrino and now we have, we're turning our nose up at solid Premier League manager.

I don't want him here long-term but with his record, we should definitely be a little more buoyed and positive for the remaining 8 games.

Absolutley this. We've had our disagreements on here, but we're on the right wave length on this one!

Hmm. A very short-term contract according to this, with the possibility of staking a claim for the job on a long-term basis.

Which is perfect! Happy with this.

Surely we had our sights on someone new in the summer anyway. So Hughes until then is an excellent deal.

I’d prefer Silva but it’s a leap to say he’s willing to come. Can’t see us doing much better than Hughes, particularly if Les has arm-wrestled him into doing it on a 3 month contract.

He came here as a player when he was washed up and finished and now is going to return as manager under the same circumstances! I'd rather saggy chops on an 8 game contract Hughes will relegate us and mess up any chance at bouncing straight back he is a busted flush.

Have a bit of pride FFS. Saggy Chops - I’d rather have Pellegrino.

If we go down it won’t be because of Hughes it will be because we have made a complete cock up of this season

We have been arrogant and those at the top have spent too much time believing their own hype. No matter who takes over now the whole club needs some fresh direction in the summer regardless of what league we are in.

Get behind him starting on Sunday.

Sounds like some will be more ****ed off if we do win some games and stay up.

I keep seeing this argument 'throwing money at someone’ ‘‘bringing an upcoming manager in'' - who? Rowett? Potter? Rodgers? Jokanovik - those sorts? They're all in jobs. We're not going to be appointing a manager who is currently in a job, it a nonsensical move for both the 'selling club' and the manager himself, especially people like Rowett and Potter who could end up making very bad career choices, they will be better suited to waiting a few months as I've sure all their advisors will be saying.

People like Tuchel, Ancelotti, AVB are pure pie in the sky suggestions. We are not attractive to managers of that ilk.We've made our bed and we have to lie in it. Hughes/Bilic is what I expect and that's the clubs fault, but that won't stop me supporting them and getting behind them. We needed a fresh start and whatever happens, we've got one.

Totally disagree. In the case of AVB didn't he go to China? Was that because it is a good place to put on your CV?

Money talks and if you offer enough of it you will get what you want. That doesn't mean we should do that.

In-case anybody glossed over the link that Nick75Sfc posted above it seems like the Telegraph article has been updated again this evening to include the detail that a short-term contract has been offered to Hughes.

Exclusive: Mark Hughes the leading candidate for Southampton job after Mauricio Pellegrino is sacked

Southampton hope to appoint Mark Hughes as their new manager on Wednesday. The former Stoke City boss has been offered a contract until the end of the season, before any long-term decisions are made on a permanent replacement for Mauricio Pellegrino.

Hughes, 54, will bring his assistants Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki with him, the three having worked together extensively at Hughes’ five previous jobs in the Premier League. The club were in negotiations with Hughes, who is representing himself in the talks, for most of Tuesday and hope to have him working with the squad by midweek.

Hughes played for Saints for two seasons between 1998 and 2000 and they believe that his experience will steer the club away from the current relegation threat. After Sunday’s FA Cup quarter-final against Wigan Athletic, they have a difficult run of league games when the programme resumes after the international break. The first of those eight league games, away at West Ham in what could be a behind-closed-doors game at the London Stadium, will be critical.

The appointment of Hughes marks a different approach to previous Saints appointments when the club have typically gone after foreign coaches with a very specific set of criteria. The previous regime appointed Mauricio Pochettino and the current one brought in Ronald Koeman, both of whom were poached by Premier League rivals.

After that Claude Puel was regarded as a competent coach but it was felt that allowing him to go on to a second season would risk a downturn. As things have turned out, Pellegrino has presided over one himself, failing to settle on a team that has looked capable of a top-10 finish. Southampton hope that Hughes will be able to get the eight or nine points they will need to survive, from a difficult fixture run-in.

Sacked by Stoke on January 6, Hughes will have a chance to stake a claim to the job in the long-term but Southampton will keep their options open. They wanted Pellegrino’s appointment to work, and felt that they gave him as long as possible to convert draws into victories, but just one win in 17 league matches made it impossible to persevere with him. His remarks after the defeat to Newcastle United that the players had lacked spirit was the final red flag for the club.

Southampton have been exploring more experienced options and already had a plan in place should they have decided to replace Pellegrino, with Saturday’s dire performance against proving to be the final straw. There was a feeling that a change had become urgently necessarily and, while many fans had been calling for his sacking over several months, Southampton felt that he could be a long-term success and were hoping he would translate a series of ultimately costly draws into wins.

The Argentinian said that he was “sorry” to leave the club in its current situation, one point and one place above the relegation zone with eight games to play. In an open letter to the club’s supporters, he said: “From the beginning I tried to do my best every single day, I tried to give back to the club and tried to represent the club with pride.

“Some moments we managed this, some moments we couldn’t, but we have been living a difficult season for many reasons. The manager is the face of a lot of decisions and actions, but I always tried to put the club first with my technical staff and the board behind me.

“I am really happy with the hospitality of the people of Southampton and the respect you have shown me in every moment during this experience. The fans have been behind us even in difficult games and I am really grateful for your support in those situations.

“I have to say thanks to Ralph [Krueger, chairman], to the board, to Les [Reed, executive director] and Ross [Wilson, director of recruitment], all my technical staff and all the Southampton employees. Also to my players, who respected me in every single moment. I feel so sorry to leave the club in this situation, but when you don’t get results I understand the decision the club has to take. I wish everyone all the best for the rest of the season, I have enjoyed an amazing experience and I know that Southampton has everything required to move forward.”

The former captain and goalkeeper Kelvin Davis has taken training with goalkeeping coach Dave Watson. After the West Ham game on March 31, Southampton go into a series of tough games against Arsenal (away), Chelsea (home) and Leicester (away) before a home match against Bournemouth. After that they are away to Everton and finish the season at home to Manchester City.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/13/mark-hughes-favourite-southampton-job-aftermauricio-pellegrino/amp/

Oh God it really is going to be Mark Hughes isn't it!!

Ffs Cortese must be sitting at home (eating) and just laughing his head off st Leslie numpty Reed

What a joke. How did he **** it all up so quickly?!

yep Press association reporting we have opened talks with him. Oh it was so fruitful getting rid of Puel

I realise we may not have many options available to us and HUGHES may be what is available. Really dislike the guy and do not want him anywhere near our club and will not be happy if we appoint him....I honestly do not think he is the answer long term.

That said i will understand if we appoint him and he will get my support.......i will hope it is not a long term appointment!

Agreed.

If he comes here and keeps us up, possibly getting to a Cup Final as well, I don't see him as a long or even medium term manager for us. An 8 game contract, or eleven including FA Cup ties is more than enough. Then rebuild in the summer.

In-case anybody glossed over the link that Nick75Sfc posted above it seems like the Telegraph article has been updated again this evening to include the detail that a short-term contract has been offered to Hughes.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/13/mark-hughes-favourite-southampton-job-aftermauricio-pellegrino/amp/

So much for the ‘this won’t be an interim appointment’

Totally the wrong appointment for us. A man who relies on the cheque book and very expensive short term solutions, a bit like Redknapp. I can't help but feel that they know we're going down and they see him as the man to get us back up. Let's be honest. He's probably better suited to that challenge than Pellegrino would have ever been.

Totally the wrong appointment for us. A man who relies on the cheque book and very expensive short term solutions, a bit like Redknapp. I can't help but feel that they know we're going down and they see him as the man to get us back up. Let's be honest. He's probably better suited to that challenge than Pellegrino would have ever been.

No track record in that respect as far as I know.

We're not going to hire Hughes and then sack him for our preferred candidate should we stay up. If we stay up, Hughes will be our manager next season.

We'll have to give him at least a year and a half contract, probably two and a half.

If I was Mark Hughes that's what I would ask for.

No one is going to take an eight game deal.

The telegraph piece suggests otherwise; "The former Stoke City boss has been offered a contract until the end of the season, before any long-term decisions are made on a permanent replacement for Mauricio Pellegrino." From Hughes' point of view keeping us up would obviously give him a big advantage regarding our appointment of a long term manager, but if he was already the guy we wanted surely the plug would have been pulled on pellegrino long before it actually was? They could have had someone else in mind who isn't available yet, and may still be available should we stay up.

We really are not in a position to be picky. I mean for **** sake, beggers can't be choosers, and god are we begging right now. Is he better then Pellegrino? Absolutely, 100% yes. Do we have a better chance of staying up now then we did 2 days ago? Yes. Will he keep us up? Who knows, but I think he probably will.

And if it's a short term contract, then happy days, we can re-assess in the summer. Some of you need a grip on reality, some of the names mentioned for a team in our position, are utterly ridiculous.

We really are not in a position to be picky. I mean for **** sake, beggers can't be choosers, and god are we begging right now. Is he better then Pellegrino? Absolutely, 100% yes. Do we have a better chance of staying up now then we did 2 days ago? Yes. Will he keep us up? Who knows, but I think he probably will.

And if it's a short term contract, then happy days, we can re-assess in the summer. Some of you need a grip on reality, some of the names mentioned for a team in our position, are utterly ridiculous.

This.

People wanting AVB or Ancelotti are as deluded as you can get.

I remember when Strachan came in, everyone was complaining because he’d just been sacked from Coventry, have just about relegated them. He came to us and is a bit of a legend. Not suggesting Hughes will become that, simply saying that sometimes it’s not all about what you did in the job before.

So.. a team which was below us in the table sack their manager because he was going to get them relegated and we appoint him as our manager to save us from relegation???? Is there really nobody left at the club who can see how stupid this is??? #LesReedmustbesuffferingfromseniledementia

I think Hughes is perfect for what we need - a short term shot in the arm and a kick up the a4se for the players. Knows the league and has had more 'relative' success than not - plus he actually has a link with us, so maybe...just maybe....he might show some much needed passion. He'll also have a much better set of players to work with than the dogsh1t at stoke....any team still dragging crouchy onto the pitch has real issues.

So.. a team which was below us in the table sack their manager because he was going to get them relegated and we appoint him as our manager to save us from relegation???? Is there really nobody left at the club who can see how stupid this is??? #LesReedmustbesuffferingfromseniledementia

That’s a pretty simplistic way of looking it though, isn’t it?

Tell that to Swansea who appointed Sheffield Wednesdays sacked manager in the division below them...

Who would have relegated two Premier League clubs if they hadn't sacked him beforehand. Solid.

QPR who were a complete shambles of a club and Stoke in his 5th season with them, after 3 top 10 finishes (for Stoke!!!!). He is aomething like the 5th most experienced PL manager of all time, was brilliant with Blackburn, excellent with Man City (that was before the current moneybags took over) and qualified little old Fulham for the Europa League before he left unexpectedly when nutjob Fayed started ****ing around. What would we give for a manager that lasts 4 seasons, our shambles of a management team can't even keep one for a year. Hughes has near on 40% win ratio, including 4+ seasons with Stoke, season with Fulham and with Blackburn. 40%!!! He wouldn't be my choice, but the crap that is being talked about him by some on here is just completely whacko, some of our supporters seem to be as arrogant as our players allegedy are. Can't see anyone better that is available. Silva is going to Benfica supposdly (would you turn donw Benfica for Saints if you were Portuguese). Bilic is a clown. The only other good candidate around is AVB now that he has finished rallying, but he has no credentials for a relegation scrap. Hughes it will be and have to say thats probably as good as its going to get. Will he keep us up, not sure, sadly he has to work with our useless attacking midfield (T, B & R), but maybe he can spark (excuse pun) one of them into life and remind them how to attack, not give the ball away and not play backward passes. He certainly can't do any worse than Pellegrino or (2nd half of the season) Puel.

[emoji106]

At the end of the day whoever gets the job will get stick from some on here. Mark Hughes is not my first choice but I’m not going to put the boot in before he’s even been offered a contract or been in charge of one coaching session or game.

On a short term 8 game deal how can anyone really say its the wrong appointment?

The whole thing is a gamble, thats the point, there is no right or wrong, just a gamble that may or may not work but which was made necessary because we were just drifting to relegation.

Short term deal is the best option for all parties. Reconsider in the summer at either way the requirement then will be different to now.

Key in these sort of scenarios is to get a good start. Lose to Wigan and WH and it will unravel quickly. Beat WH especially and it will look positive.

You have to say better than the Clown and run with it. The damage has already been done and he deserves every ounce of support we can muster.

Maybe, just maybe Hughes has learnt some valuable lessons in his career and can put his experience to good use here.

Positives to be taken ...

Apparently he is an arrogant bar steward so that could be exactly what we need just now....

QPR who were a complete shambles of a club and Stoke in his 5th season with them, after 3 top 10 finishes (for Stoke!!!!). He is aomething like the 5th most experienced PL manager of all time, was brilliant with Blackburn, excellent with Man City (that was before the current moneybags took over) and qualified little old Fulham for the Europa League before he left unexpectedly when nutjob Fayed started ****ing around. What would we give for a manager that lasts 4 seasons, our shambles of a management team can't even keep one for a year. Hughes has near on 40% win ratio, including 4+ seasons with Stoke, season with Fulham and with Blackburn. 40%!!! He wouldn't be my choice, but the crap that is being talked about him by some on here is just completely whacko, some of our supporters seem to be as arrogant as our players allegedy are. Can't see anyone better that is available. Silva is going to Benfica supposdly (would you turn donw Benfica for Saints if you were Portuguese). Bilic is a clown. The only other good candidate around is AVB now that he has finished rallying, but he has no credentials for a relegation scrap. Hughes it will be and have to say thats probably as good as its going to get. Will he keep us up, not sure, sadly he has to work with our useless attacking midfield (T, B & R), but maybe he can spark (excuse pun) one of them into life and remind them how to attack, not give the ball away and not play backward passes. He certainly can't do any worse than Pellegrino or (2nd half of the season) Puel.
Quite right.

Some absolute garbage written on here on Hughes who has an enviable record in this division.

Anything like the impact he had at Fulham or Blackburn or Stoke or Wales and we're laughing.

I'm not sure I could ever not support Saints. I can see myself being disinterested but I'll always look up the result as the game finished.

Mark Hughes being appointed may very well test that resolve to the limit. Certainly wouldn't give the club any of my money in the way of purchasing tickets while he was in charge. I pray it's a stop gap until the season at worst and that it's just paper nonsense at best.

What a pussy.

Mark Hughes may not be the calibre of manager most 'fans' on here wanted but if you haven't noticed, and to put it politely, we are now one of the worst sides in the prem and need to rebuild our reputation. Who ever we appoint is a massive gamble. I'd much rather we appoint someone who knows the league and can get us playing in an actual formation. Hughes cares, he's thoughtful and still passionate about the game. He has a point to prove. We find ourselves in a new situation. We've got a great set up and we've never before allowed a manager who knows the league to take the reins. Every manager has basically come in to a new league to manage us. Two days ago, we were dead and nearly buried. Now we have some hope again. Itll be the same people melting about Hughes that wanted Puel out. COYR

This! He wouldn't be my first choice and to be honest he probably isn't the clubs but apart from Silva, I can't see anyone better who is available at this time and as you say, Hughes does have a point to prove.