So...Mark Hughes

Saint Garrett

To be honest while I think we now have a better chance of staying up than with Pellegrino in charge, I think it extremely unlikely whichever candidate takes charge. I Do not believe that someone like Hughes is going to come in with the previso it’s only until the end of the season, so if he does get the job it’ll probably be on a two or three year contract. As I don’t think he’s a good fit for the job I’d rather the board pick the right person for the long term, even if it means appointing an interim coach from within until the end of the season. While I don’t think Ancelotti is in the frame (why would he lower himself), I’d suggest that with only 8 games left he’s the only type of coach that would be willing to take such a short job.

So you'd rather concede relegation and hire someone new once we're relegated? Explain why we shouldn't give ourselves the best possible shot at staying up, and then taking stock in the summer? Nuts.

So you'd rather concede relegation and hire someone new once we're relegated? Explain why we shouldn't give ourselves the best possible shot at staying up, and then taking stock in the summer? Nuts.
Utterly mental. It seems some people would rather get relegated than appoint Mark Hughes and maybe stay up. Says a lot about some of our so called fans.

I’m saying that if Hughes takes the job it’ll be until be with the proviso that if he keeps us up he gets the job. Obviously I’d be over the moon that we’d survived but also feel that Hughes is a sticking plaster, that we would be unlikely to improve next season with him in charge and as a result would rather we planned for the future. Anything else is ****ing Groundhog Day and I for one am ****ing fed up with it.

The Echo article sums it up, this is no time to experiment - we need a proven manager and we don't have a lot of options. If Silva isn't coming then Hughes is the next best fit for what we need right now.

My biggest concern about him is his motivational qualities, he comes across as pretty dour when the team badly needs an injection of energy after the Mopey reign. That said, Hughes does have a solid prem record so I can see the logic.

Like most others not my first choice but when you're dipping in the bins you can't afford to turn your nose up at opportunities. Whoever comes I wish them the best of luck.

Better than MP, but Reed does seem to gravitate to managers with similar dull personalities. Must be a fun place to work.

Utterly mental. It seems some people would rather get relegated than appoint Mark Hughes and maybe stay up. Says a lot about some of our so called fans.

‘So called fans’? All fans have different opinions, doesn’t make us any less fans. Of course I’d be gutted if we got relegated but there is football outside the Premier League.

Anyone who would prefer to get relegated rather than appoint Mark Hughes isn't a fan.

Hughes isn’t guaranteed to keep us up if you don’t understand that you’re a pillock. And fans like me will continue to support the club come relegation or not. I’d just rather the club didn’t tie us to a manager that I don’t believe is a good fit for the way we are supposed to play moving forwards. If he gets the job I’ll get behind him and wish him my best and if he keeps us up and has a successful Saints managerial career I’ll happily admit I was wrong.

People like you are the reason I rarely post on here any more so you’ll be happy to note that I’ll **** off again and leave you and the proper fans to it.

Most experienced premier league managers worth their salt will keep this team up, and I include Hughes in that. Against all odds our destiny is in our own hands still so he gives us a fighting chance.

Everyone on here would rather Hughes than Pellegrino so at least we can be thankful of that. Would rather this was done 3 months ago, or even 3 games ago, but there you go.

I don't get the point of a short term deal to the end of the season. The players know they are not needing to impress the new boss, because chances are, they would be out at the end of the season. The new manager, seems likely Hughes, can get us relegated and not be too stained due to the Pellegrino farce. And it also doesn't buy them into the success of the club. As much as none of the candidates that we are realistically looking at are pretty uninspiring, I would rather give them a deal to the end of next season, so at least there is a degree of incentive on all sides. Having a deal that is too weighted in the favour of one side doesn't work.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16084358.COMMENT__Hughes_fits_the_bill/

“Survival is all that truly matters to Saints right now and Hughes is one of a few bosses equipped to deliver this.

The remaining eight league games are everything. Everything else, including the FA Cup, can be discounted.”

Agree Hughes is the obvious appointment. Don’t agree the above. “survival is all that matters” makes it sound like we’re dead if we get relegated. There’s life outside the PL.

“Everything else including the fa cup can be discounted”. Sorry but no. 4500 at Wigan and many thousands want Saints to go through. No more capitulation like at Newcastle.

A lot of people need to realise Hughes is a safety option who will be in charge if/when we're relegated. He's out of work, desperate for a job, and willing to drop a division.

He was VERY unlikely to get another Prem job any time soon based on his recent record.

It's a contingency appointment from the board knowing they're royally screwed this club.

I don't get the point of a short term deal to the end of the season. The players know they are not needing to impress the new boss, because chances are, they would be out at the end of the season. The new manager, seems likely Hughes, can get us relegated and not be too stained due to the Pellegrino farce. And it also doesn't buy them into the success of the club. As much as none of the candidates that we are realistically looking at are pretty uninspiring, I would rather give them a deal to the end of next season, so at least there is a degree of incentive on all sides. Having a deal that is too weighted in the favour of one side doesn't work.

You really don’t get why we would offer a short term deal? How about, he is not our ideal candidate if we stay up? Stay up and we then have far greater choice and if we go down. Not really rocket science.

Best option by far thats been linked and even better if it is just until the end of the season for now.

Much better option than Silva. Can't quite believe anyone thinks otherwise. Silvas time at Hull ended in relegation and 9 points worse off than where they began in comparison to their rivals.

Dont like Hughes much, moans about refs far too much but actually did OK at Stoke. A few Stoke fans I've heard now have ssid he was let down this year by his recruitment team. They wanted Lemina and also he wanted Soares before so I can see him enjoying our squad. QPR fans can be ignored a little. Car crash of a club anyway.

My thoughts are that we were going to sack Pellegrino at the end of the season because he was so dire which was pretty obvious to see.

Reed probably had an agreement on the next replacement with the promise of loads of the VVD money plus the sky money to spending in the EPL.

This is the reason why we never sacked MP until it became pretty obvious he could not even get us over the safety line.

Mark Hughes is the obvious choice short term to get us out of this mess with a handsome bonus if we survive plus he can send Stoke down with a smile.

Win, win situation all round and Reed gets to appoint Brendon Rodgers for next season as he won’t stay another season with Celtic.

BUT....... Let’s supposing Hughes does a job better than anyone would ever think he was capable of by taking us to the cup final and winning 50% of our remaining games.

Does this change the situation?

Our best possible chance of staying up was last December and January HTBH. We already missed that boat...

Eight games to save our Prem status

ALL very hard games

One point above the drop zone

We are NOT exactly European Championship standard are we ??

We are not in a position to attract Guardiola are we ???

So, Be grateful if we even get a Manager with previous Prem experience willing to take us on

ATM, WE are the ones with the begging bowl

You really don’t get why we would offer a short term deal? How about, he is not our ideal candidate if we stay up? Stay up and we then have far greater choice and if we go down. Not really rocket science.

I get that, but it doesn't work, because there is no incentive, for reasons outlined. It is a deal all in our favour. What is in it for the manager? He keeps us up and gets binned. Not much incentive there. For the players, what is the point in buying in to whatever he says, because he will likely be off in a couple of months anyway. A deal like that just does not work. We may as well offer a deal until end of next season.

We can look at this through Saints tinted glasses all we want, but we need everybody to buy into it. A short term deal shows we are not really putting any commitment into it.

Whoever the manager is get behind them. That's all.

Whoever the manager is , just get them appointed NOW.

Everyday counts. There should be a sense of urgency and I don't feel it. The new guy has to start evaluating players, training them to his system, getting them to an appropriate fitness level, and it should have started yesterday.

The DT reported that Hughes is representing himself in contract talks, which if true I find quite refreshing, but it should also mean there is no need for dithering and delay. Perhaps Les Reed is quibbling about letting him have a car park space at St Mary's?

ALL very hard games

So, Be grateful if we even get a Manager with previous Prem experience willing to take us on

I agree. We are in a negotiating position of weakness at the moment.

ALL very hard games

Totally agree, lucky someone like Hughes can help us out of this mess.

I don't feel that way about Hughes, think he'll be alright.

But I bet many have someone they'd choose relegation over having in charge. Same with players. I'd rather be in the championship than managed by Hoddle again for instance.

Personally I think that's crazy. The only person I could see feeling like that about is redknapp. I'd take almost anyone else if it meant the club being successful. I certainly can't see why someone would feel that strongly about Hughes.

I am only speculating here, but gonna predict that he is already at Staplewood taking charge of training and doing the usual photoshoots/holding Reed's hand/walking around the training ground etc etc

to be announced 12pm I reckon.

I think most people are resigned to it being Mark Hughes and I'm sure all of us will support him however underwhelming.

The situation we are in leaves us with very limited options - ultimately Mope should have been sacked months ago.

The mess we are in was completely avoidable.... But hey how we are where we are. Very little the fans can do but watch and hope for the best.

I just miss the days when we used to laugh at WHU, Sunderland, Swansea ect for these types of appointments and situations.

LES REED I did it my way :mcinnes:

I am only speculating here, but gonna predict that he is already at Staplewood taking charge of training and doing the usual photoshoots/holding Reed's hand/walking around the training ground etc etc

to be announced 12pm I reckon.

According to this the players are having a "scheduled day off" today so Hughes won't meet them until Thursday.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/southampton/prospective-southampton-boss-mark-hughes-wont-meet-new-players-until-thursday

The Echo article sums it up, this is no time to experiment - we need a proven manager and we don't have a lot of options. If Silva isn't coming then Hughes is the next best fit for what we need right now.

My biggest concern about him is his motivational qualities, he comes across as pretty dour when the team badly needs an injection of energy after the Mopey reign. That said, Hughes does have a solid prem record so I can see the logic.

Like most others not my first choice but when you're dipping in the bins you can't afford to turn your nose up at opportunities. Whoever comes I wish them the best of luck.

Yes, it's that for me, too. We need some pazzazz and sparkle, a little spring in the step. Hughes is more your 'build a solid base, tough to beat, grind out results' type of manager. I want Prosecco, not a Guinness. :)

Whoever the manager is , just get them appointed NOW.

Everyday counts. There should be a sense of urgency and I don't feel it. The new guy has to start evaluating players, training them to his system, getting them to an appropriate fitness level, and it should have started yesterday.

The DT reported that Hughes is representing himself in contract talks, which if true I find quite refreshing, but it should also mean there is no need for dithering and delay.

Exactly right.

I am put off him by how he was a big wage signing for us who had no passion or interest on the pitch, but I dislike him more for being unable to get rid of him and his big wages and useless stats on Championship Manager 99-00. That team was impossible to save without serious cheating.

For these reasons, I'm not keen on him as a saints manager.

If Hughes is good enough to keep us up, surely he would be good enough to get us back to solid top half next season, the standard of the premier league is dire! He has shown he can attract decent players, and he still has the desire to succeed. If he keep us up, I would give him one year rolling contract

I don't understand why in football managers are given fixed term contracts. I'm on a rolling contract at work, most of us are. If the employer wants to release, there is a notice period in my contract. It would save all these redundancy payouts. Yes, give Hughes a rolling contract and if either party want to bring it to an end, they can by giving notice.

You make some good points.

Hughes isn’t guaranteed to keep us up if you don’t understand that you’re a pillock. And fans like me will continue to support the club come relegation or not. I’d just rather the club didn’t tie us to a manager that I don’t believe is a good fit for the way we are supposed to play moving forwards. If he gets the job I’ll get behind him and wish him my best and if he keeps us up and has a successful Saints managerial career I’ll happily admit I was wrong.

People like you are the reason I rarely post on here any more so you’ll be happy to note that I’ll **** off again and leave you and the proper fans to it.

Kindly show me where I said Hughes was guaranteed to keep us up? You won't be able to find it because I didn't say it. If you're so thin skinned that you let a few posts on a forum drive you away then I can't imagine too many will be sad to see you go.

Happy enough with Hughes on a short term deal to begin with. He'll have a point to prove as many have written him off. And he at least gives us some hope of turning it around.

Main thing is he should have enough about him to get a reaction and allow us to scrape to safety, that's all we need to focus on. If we do escape then I hope the questions will still be asked of Reed, Krueger etc. as to what exactly has happened to their once grand plans, because quite clearly things have gone completely off the rails.

My thoughts are that we were going to sack Pellegrino at the end of the season because he was so dire which was pretty obvious to see.

Reed probably had an agreement on the next replacement with the promise of loads of the VVD money plus the sky money to spending in the EPL.

This is the reason why we never sacked MP until it became pretty obvious he could not even get us over the safety line.

Mark Hughes is the obvious choice short term to get us out of this mess with a handsome bonus if we survive plus he can send Stoke down with a smile.

Win, win situation all round and Reed gets to appoint Brendon Rodgers for next season as he won’t stay another season with Celtic.

BUT....... Let’s supposing Hughes does a job better than anyone would ever think he was capable of by taking us to the cup final and winning 50% of our remaining games.

Does this change the situation?

Leave it till the summer and Rodgers will pick a bigger club ie Everton or similar.

I have been not-so reliably informed it’s done, announced later today, assistants come with him, short-term deal, Big bonus for keeping us up. End of seasoned deal jobbie, but could go on longer, nothing ruled out.

Basically all the sh1t u read in a paper yesterday :lol:

While the sacking is months overdue we are where we are. The new man must have experience of and understand the premiership we have no bedding in time. Hughes meets the fundamental requirement as well if not better than any other candidate available. The thing with managers is that the majority need to find the right club, Moyes at Everton as an example, who can say that Hughes and Saints won’t be a match made in heaven, if not we have lost nothing, if he is then humble pie will be the order of the day for many.

Fancy explaining why?

No problem.

I can see why some people would rather see a new, more progressive regime building for the future if that meant a couple of seasons in the Championship. As others have said, there is life outside the PL. No fan wants to see us relegated but there are those that can also see the bigger picture. To say someone isn't a fan just because they have a different opinion is just stirring.

Our best possible chance of staying up was last December and January HTBH. We already missed that boat...

Living in the past doesn't help. We are where we are and have to deal with it. Short term fix to try to stay up, and then take stock. I'm not sure what the issue is with that.

No problem.

I can see why some people would rather see a new, more progressive regime building for the future if that meant a couple of seasons in the Championship. As others have said, there is life outside the PL. No fan wants to see us relegated but there are those that can also see the bigger picture. To say someone isn't a fan just because they have a different opinion is just stirring.

Well you've just contradicted yourself there. There's no guarantee at all that we would see a "new progressive regime" with relegation. What would most likely happen is what happened last time. We would get saddled with a load of overpaid players we can't really afford and anyone with any promise will leave. I wonder if Sunderland were saying they would have taken "a couple of season in the Championship" this time last year?

Isn't that what this either or actually says (whether intended or not)?

Originally Posted by hypochondriac

"Anyone who would prefer to get relegated rather than appoint Mark Hughes isn't a fan."

No that isn't what was said, you've misunderstood. Posters are saying they would prefer to go down with the hopes that we would have a new progressive regime rather than appoint Hughes even if it meant we stayed up- or even if it increased our chances of survival. That's complete madness.

Utterly mental, some people would like to see us get knocked out of an FA Cup quarter final. Says a lot about one particular so called fan.