So...Mark Hughes

Saint Garrett

Isn't that what this either or actually says (whether intended or not)?

Originally Posted by hypochondriac

"Anyone who would prefer to get relegated rather than appoint Mark Hughes isn't a fan."

Hughie, I think you will find that Hypo and Trousers are Forum buddies.

Hughes isn’t guaranteed to keep us up if you don’t understand that you’re a pillock. And fans like me will continue to support the club come relegation or not. I’d just rather the club didn’t tie us to a manager that I don’t believe is a good fit for the way we are supposed to play moving forwards. If he gets the job I’ll get behind him and wish him my best and if he keeps us up and has a successful Saints managerial career I’ll happily admit I was wrong.

People like you are the reason I rarely post on here any more so you’ll be happy to note that I’ll **** off again and leave you and the proper fans to it.

Don't take Hypo to heart Mullet, it would be best that you keep posting so that we get a variety of views.

He turned Wales from genuinely nothing under Bobby Gould into potential qualifiers including defeat of Italy. The performance of the two managers either side of him show how well he did.

And your "okay" at Blackburn included finishing 6th, 10th, 7th. When he finished sixth he achieved exactly the same points total as Koeman did when he finished sixth. Did Koeman only do "okay" for us?

City he took to previously unknown heights in the Prem era but in a time of complete revolution at the club.

He took Fulham to eighth in his one season, so what's your point there?

This. He is a decent manager. Ours fans need to support him and the team if he comes. One other merit to Hughes, assuming he keeps us up, I think he will push us on.... and unlike a lot of managers, he won't be easily poached.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I think its a case of either simple delusion or some sort of trendy bandwagoning. Everyone seems to be anti Hughes, and Im not entirely sure why to be honest.

Ok, if this was at the start of the year he obviously isn't our first choice, he is the wrong fit . But right now, in our predicament I think we are lucky to have a manager of his experience and calibre even remotely interested with us.

We are one point from the relegation zone with a hellish run in, arguably, minus WBA we are the worst team in the prem right now, and god knows how we aren't already in a worse position then we already are.

We have no real goals in the side, two CBs that are hardly consistently solid.

I'd snap Hughes hand off right now, our priority is staying up, nothing else matters and Hughes knows the job, the prem and likely has an awareness of ours and our rivals players

It's because the happy clappers (pulling a full bed wetting now) have buried their heads in the sand for the past few years under this board, and chose to believe and not question the hype. The wheels have come off completely this season and because most of them weren't expecting it they're now looking around for anything to moan about or blame.... and it's turned in to some pathetic bed wetting echo chamber.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by Saint86

Nobody can complain he does not have Premiership experience, and other than his final stint at Stoke he has generally done well.

Maybe he might not be revolutionary ,young , hungry coach many of us would like to see (similar to Poch for example), but he sure knows what he is doing in this league and takes no nonsense.

If we land him, then a warm welcome to him from me.

Lol. Nothing to do with nasty words hurting my feelings.
You have strong opinions, and sometimes fail to realise that some others don't want to have aggressive replies . I don't worry myself as its a bit of a game, and accept we want a successful football club

I don't think I've seen a single post where anyone has suggested Hughes is guaranteed to keep us up (implied or otherwise)

Obviously, because it's something that can't be guaranteed right now. We still have every chance of survival though and that would still be the case with any manager because we have players that are clearly good enough. Might even get a bonus of at least a Wembley semi as well, not a bad job for any manager really.

You have strong opinions, and sometimes fail to realise that some others don't want to have aggressive replies . I don't worry myself as its a bit of a game, and accept we want a successful football club
I don't find calling someone not a fan for preferring relegation to a new manager to be particularly aggressive but I'm glad you don't worry yourself and that you can take this place as the message board forum that it is and nothing more. Let's hope more can accept that reality.

If we appoint him, get relegated and then don't keep him, we're mental. Hughes is exactly what we would need in that League

I agree plus if Les does have someone else lined up to start the next season, he may not be willing to step down (or remain) in the Championship, and you would have thought that Hughes would do OK there. A lot will depend on how he gets the team to perform over the next 8 games.

No problem with Hughes and I would welcome him to the club. The Stoke players played for him until the end which is more than can be said for our shower of gutless snowflakes. Hughes did try to bring invention to the post-Pulis Stoke and I believe he will prove to be more expansive than Pellegrino.

I don't find calling someone not a fan for preferring relegation to a new manager to be particularly aggressive but I'm glad you don't worry yourself and that you can take this place as the message board forum that it is and nothing more. Let's hope more can accept that reality.
Hypo, I know you are not a bully, we are in the main all decent on here and so let it wash over.

I'd take Hughes premiership experience knows how to setup and organize a team, Will give a few of the egos a kick up the ass aswell. Our fans are idiots who else do you expect to come here?

I don't argue he might be the best choice right now by virtue of the fact their aren't really any other choices given the current mess the club are in. But where does this idea come from that he can organise this squad and will go around kicking egos up the arse when he couldn't do it with a Stoke squad only a few months ago?

I don't argue he might be the best choice right now by virtue of the fact their aren't really any other choices given the current mess the club are in. But where does this idea come from that he can organise this squad and will go around kicking egos up the arse when he couldn't do it with a Stoke squad only a few months ago?

Aren't Hughe's results at Stoke from this season better or at least more or less comparable to that of Lambert's ? Certainly seems that way to me TBH.

I never thought that Hughes was THAT bad at Stoke, player recruitment was poor of course.

I just don't see what the other options are, for me it seems;

Silva - For some reason the dogs ******** right now, but I don't see a glittering premier league record. Relegated Hull and was ok at Watford before looking elsewhere, one of his main criticisms at Watford was his insistence to play with a single striker :roll eyes:

Bilic - Ive added him as he is out of contract and realistic. Steady appointment, think he would be able to do a decent enough job. Only prem experience was that of West Ham however, which was obviously hit and miss. He has also stated he doesn't want an appointment until next year.

Hughes - Always been steady, never had any barnstorming seasons with anyone really. Has premiership and international experience. Never been relegated, has managed clubs with a range of budgets and leadership set ups.

The bottom line for me, is that it seems hughes is the most equipped for our current predicament.

If I was Hughes, I'd want the Wigan game over with before I was announced. Loose it and he's got the fans on his back from the off. Win it and he can lead the team out at Wembley anyway.

Although, on the flip side, they're a League One team and we should beat them. Could be viewed as an ideal start.

Realistically, the couple of training sessions the new manager will have between now and the game aren't going to be enough to change our whole style of play. I just wonder if anyone will have a word in his ear about the possible need to change the formation?

Kindly show me where I said Hughes was guaranteed to keep us up? You won't be able to find it because I didn't say it. If you're so thin skinned that you let a few posts on a forum drive you away then I can't imagine too many will be sad to see you go.

Rest assured that your post isn't the reason I won't be renewing my subscription on here, anyone who can be bothered can check how my post number has dwindled over the last year or so. That's down to a general dislike of the way modern football is going, the dire state of Saints style of football and the number of posters on here who act like ****s. I didn't feel you were being aggressive but excuse me if I don't like being told I'm not a fan by some bloke who knows nothing about me.

As someone else pointed out while you haven't come out and said Hughes is guaranteed to keep us up, you've come pretty close to it. But while we're on the subject of our ill fated conversation, have a look back and see if you once see me say I'd take relegation over Hughes.

Before I sign off I'll try to clarify my take on this. If Hughes is the best the club can get (and given the situation I find that highly likely) and they have an agreement that no matter what it's until the end of the season, after which we will review things, I don't have a problem. My issue is that I can't see why anyone, apart from someone in semi-retirement, would agree to this. So assuming that Hughes is offered a deal where he gets to stay if he keeps us up, I'd rather just plan for the future and get someone else at the end of the season. Wipe the slate clean and get decent foundations in place. Otherwise I can see us being in the same situation again within another couple of seasons.

Edited by mulletsaint

So assuming that Hughes is offered a deal where he gets to stay if he keeps us up, I'd rather just plan for the future and get someone else at the end of the season. Wipe the slate clean and get decent foundations in place. Otherwise I can see us being in the same situation again within another couple of seasons.

If Hughes keeps us up he will have done a very good job so I expect he will be kept on. Don't really see the logic is sacking someone who's doing a very good job.

Went back through Mark Hughes's managerial record and took his first 8 league games (or qualifying games for Wales) for each team in his career

Stoke 2013 - W2 D2 L4

QPR 2012 - W1 D2 L5

Fulham 2010 - W1 D6 L1

Man City 2008 - W3 D1 L4

Blackburn 2004 - W1 D4 L3

Wales 99/00/01 - W1 D4 L3

Not brilliant - The best start he got off to was at Man City. Or maybe we can do what he did at Fulham and draw nearly every game.

Went back through Mark Hughes's managerial record and took his first 8 league games (or qualifying games for Wales) for each team in his career

Stoke 2013 - W2 D2 L4

QPR 2012 - W1 D2 L5

Fulham 2010 - W1 D6 L1

Man City 2008 - W3 D1 L4

Blackburn 2004 - W1 D4 L3

Wales 99/00/01 - W1 D4 L3

Not brilliant - The best start he got off to was at Man City. Or maybe we can do what he did at Fulham and draw nearly every game.

This because he is not an impact manager, he's not really an anything manager, is not really known for any style or innovation as a manager throughout his career. He's just about competent and average in IMO. He has no reputation for getting teams super fit, or high pressing, or well organised or expansive football. He is just an average and uninspiring choice. That article above is not the first time I've seen stuff about his training methods or lack there of either.

He's not even a relegation firefighter, those managers come in after he gets sacked.

It's a poor appointment IMO and doesn't make any sense, 'PL experience' is meaningless IMO, David Moyes has 'PL experience' but he's struggled in every job after Everton. Even the likes of Pulis at least have a reputation of turning round relegation threatened clubs. Poch didn't have PL experience, neither did Koeman, they both did fine.

Bilic, Silva, Jokanovic, Rowett all would be much more inspiring choices IMO, Jokanovic is falling out with his board anyway so worth a punt IMO. Rowett worked wonders at Birmingham who are messy club by all accounts.

Although, on the flip side, they're a League One team and we should beat them. Could be viewed as an ideal start.

Arrogance! This is why we're in this position.

Wigan have knocked out four Prem sides already, including Man City!! We've only won five league games. I can't even see Saints beating any of the top 12 Championship sides right now.

Wigan have to be favourites.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 14.16.35.jpg

Jesus, maybe it isn't all doom and gloom with Hughes, Bowen and the other Welsh chap in charge.

PS not sure why the screen shot isn't showing very well.

Saints finished 7th and won the Carabao Cup under Hughes.

Edited by Monk

Aren't Hughe's results at Stoke from this season better or at least more or less comparable to that of Lambert's ? Certainly seems that way to me TBH.

I never thought that Hughes was THAT bad at Stoke, player recruitment was poor of course.

I just don't see what the other options are, for me it seems;

Silva - For some reason the dogs ******** right now, but I don't see a glittering premier league record. Relegated Hull and was ok at Watford before looking elsewhere, one of his main criticisms at Watford was his insistence to play with a single striker :roll eyes:

Bilic - Ive added him as he is out of contract and realistic. Steady appointment, think he would be able to do a decent enough job. Only prem experience was that of West Ham however, which was obviously hit and miss. He has also stated he doesn't want an appointment until next year.

Hughes - Always been steady, never had any barnstorming seasons with anyone really. Has premiership and international experience. Never been relegated, has managed clubs with a range of budgets and leadership set ups.

The bottom line for me, is that it seems hughes is the most equipped for our current predicament.

I'm sure I read that Lambert had improved their defensive stats since coming in they were leaking goals like a sieve early season.

I think it was Bilic on TV recently that said that the first thing new managers do when coming into relegation threatened clubs is work on the defence and making a team harder to beat.

I agree out of what is available Hughes is probably our best option I'm just ****ed the club have put themselves in a position where that is the case.

This because he is not an impact manager, he's not really an anything manager, is not really known for any style or innovation as a manager throughout his career. He's just about competent and average in IMO. He has no reputation for getting teams super fit, or high pressing, or well organised or expansive football. He is just an average and uninspiring choice. That article above is not the first time I've seen stuff about his training methods or lack there of either.

He's not even a relegation firefighter, those managers come in after he gets sacked.

It's a poor appointment IMO and doesn't make any sense, 'PL experience' is meaningless IMO, David Moyes has 'PL experience' but he's struggled in every job after Everton. Even the likes of Pulis at least have a reputation of turning round relegation threatened clubs. Poch didn't have PL experience, neither did Koeman, they both did fine.

Bilic, Silva, Jokanovic, Rowett all would be much more inspiring choices IMO, Jokanovic is falling out with his board anyway so worth a punt IMO. Rowett worked wonders at Birmingham who are messy club by all accounts.

Agree with all of this but who else is there?. No manager currently out of work has a great track record.

I agree whith that ,surley at stoke something went disasterously wrong somewhere along the road for him to be in the position of being sacked.

Not sure if he can galvanise the squad into saving this season,for me at least 4 games too late to appoint a new man for the job.

Still look at one positive the Stoke coaches trainned Butland right,maybe just maybe they could reignite Forster and co? not too sure Watson wants them here given the new coaches that would be on the way.

I remember when Strachan came in, everyone was complaining because he’d just been sacked from Coventry, have just about relegated them. He came to us and is a bit of a legend. Not suggesting Hughes will become that, simply saying that sometimes it’s not all about what you did in the job before.

Accept that you can't always take too much from a managers time elsewhere, but Strachan came to us without any previous time at Saints to draw on. Hughes time with us as a player was far from successful, and he played in our great escape season, many regarding him and some of the 'bigger name' summer recruits as being responsible for disharmony in the dressing room. Be interesting to see how glad MLT & Benali are to see Hughes at the helm if it happens.

If you think Jokanović will leave Fulham now or Rowett Derby, you’re deluding yourself. Even if the wanted to ( and we’re not Barca) , their clubs would kick up one hell of a fight, we may just get him in place for the Bournemouth game at the end of April. Can you imagine their agent advising them to do so? It’s all well and good throwing names out there, anyone can do that.

At least your other 2 names are realistic. Bilic, imo is no different from Hughes , apart from Hughes has more experience under his belt. Silva, although not my choice, would probably edge it of the 3 for me. However have you considered that maybe all 3 were contacted. I’d bet my life that we spent Sunday & Monday ( or even further back) putting feelers out. Speaking to friends, agents etc. Finding out whose interested. I’ve heard Silva’s nailed on for Everton still, maybe he turned us down.

In the fullness of time it may come out that we had a choice of Hughes, Silva or Bilic. It may also come out that Brendan Rodgers was willing to walk out on Celtic for us, or Rowett was willing to fulfil his life long dream of leading The Saints. Then any criticism of the appointment is perfectly valid, but until you know the choices the board had you can’t really moan. I don’t know who was in the frame, but given the choice of Pell, Kelvin-Watson double act or Mark Hughes only a lunatic would prefer the other options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter