So...Mark Hughes

Saint Garrett

Load of ******** and brain dead were phrases that you used. You then get precious when someone calls you a cretin.

Hypochondriac??? More like schizophrenic if you ask me.

If you think saying "no need to get aggressive" is an example of being precious then I question your judgement even more.

We all knew we would be looking at bargain basement options given our position, I don’t get why some are so against Hughes - who exactly were they expecting?

We will probably go down regardless of who we hire even if we improve, we can only attract managers who won’t mind having Relegation on their CV, that’s the situation we are in.

That’s mentality at the club sailed away along time ago. It’s about staying up and that’s it for now. You heard what Krueger said, we’re a small club.

Our aspirations are to be the new Stoke, although if Hughes does become our manager, it will have to be a Championship version of Stoke.

We all knew we would be looking at bargain basement options given our position, I don’t get why some are so against Hughes - who exactly were they expecting?

We will probably go down regardless of who we hire even if we improve, we can only attract managers who won’t mind having Relegation on their CV, that’s the situation we are in.

Exactly this. We've done it to ourselves by leaving it so late in the day to sack Pellegrino. Not exactly enamoured by the appointment but I feel as if we have more of a chance under Hughes!

Thanks but I tend to take the views of someone who calls people paedophiles in their spare time with a pinch of salt.

I thought someone like you would appreciate that.

If the above was true, it tends to beg the question, why have you argued so long and so verciferously? I'm assuming it's because all you really want is people to validate you and your opinion.

Also not sure why you're getting so aggressive.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Robbie Savage is endorsing him to be the manager, so you can add that to the list of reasons not to appoint him.

He also adds this pearl of wisdom -

He has never been relegated as a Premier League manager

There is a reason for that though, they sack him before he gets to complete the relegation.

Robbie Savage is endorsing him to be the manager, so you can add that to the list of reasons not to appoint him.

He also adds this pearl of wisdom -

There is a reason for that though, they sack him before he gets to complete the relegation.

It's happening. May as well get on board and support it

8 game season now

I thought someone like you would appreciate that.

If the above was true, it tends to beg the question, why have you argued so long and so verciferously? I'm assuming it's because all you really want is people to validate you and your opinion.

Also not sure why you're getting so aggressive.

I'm not being aggressive, it's a statement of fact.

Some people would do well to remember:

a.) We are 17th in the PL

b.) There are only 8 games left

c.) Most of those are hard games meaning relegation is more likely than not

Hughes is experienced in the PL, knows our players well and our opponents.

Whether he is in charge still in August is irrelevant. He is being appointed right now with a view on now.

On those terms, I don't see many better options, simply because we waited too long to fire Pellegrino.

Bit rich to moan when 99% wanted Pellegrino out. Who did people thinknwe would be getting? Rodgers, Tuchel, Wagner? Delusional.

Whether he is in charge still in August is irrelevant. He is being appointed right now with a view on now.

On those terms, I don't see many better options, simply because we waited too long to fire Pellegrino.

Bit rich to moan when 99% wanted Pellegrino out. Who did people thinknwe would be getting? Rodgers, Tuchel, Wagner? Delusional.

Ancelotti or Van Gaal ;)

People saying Hughes is underwhelming, who do we actually think we can realistically get in our current situation? As I said on another thread this morning I have lived in the Midlands for past 13 years and know a few Stoke fans. They spent the first three seasons under Hughes singing his praises post Pulis. It’s only this season they turned against him following poor run.

Hughes wouldn’t be my 1st choice but I realise my first choices are probably out of reach. The ‘available list’ isn’t the greatest list of we’re going with premier league experience.

If it Hughes I’ll get behind him.

24 hours ago it was virtually "Anyone but Pellegrino would do better" now we are nit picking again :lol:

Quite.

As things stand, to me he's the obvious appointment. The job is surely to keep us up and then go on his merry way, Pearson style? The board must have already had a proper target in mind for the end of the season, who will be appointed as long as we're still in the prem? Hughes knows the league inside out, knows the players games, strengths and weaknesses......best option for a short term fix, imho.

People saying Hughes is underwhelming, who do we actually think we can realistically get in our current situation? As I said on another thread this morning I have lived in the Midlands for past 13 years and know a few Stoke fans. They spent the first three seasons under Hughes singing his praises post Pulis. It’s only this season they turned against him following poor run.

Hughes wouldn’t be my 1st choice but I realise my first choices are probably out of reach. The ‘available list’ isn’t the greatest list of we’re going with premier league experience.

He’s definitely dividing opinion. I seem to recall he started off well at Stoke, got some good performances and won praise for playing a more attractive style. I suppose, though that it would be hard to play a less attractive style than any Pulis team.

I’m optimistic that Hughes gives a desperately underperforming team a much better fighting shot at survival than Pellegrino. It feels like a new day, to me, and I hope that the players who performed so disappointingly at Newcastle will see it the same way, pull their fingers out and fight like hell to stay up with him.

Quite.

As things stand, to me he's the obvious appointment. The job is surely to keep us up and then go on his merry way, Pearson style? The board must have already had a proper target in mind for the end of the season, who will be appointed as long as we're still in the prem? Hughes knows the league inside out, knows the players games, strengths and weaknesses......best option for a short term fix, imho.

We're not going to hire Hughes and then sack him for our preferred candidate should we stay up. If we stay up, Hughes will be our manager next season.

Not sure if this counts as sticking my neck on the line anymore but I’ve also been told it’s Hughes announcement tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. Our chances of staying up have improved since Sunday which is mostly what I wanted. Let's all get behind him and hope he can get the three wins needed.

No, Silva.

We're still taking our medicine for completely fu cking up the season. In a way we don't deserve an exciting appointment - we've left it too late and we're reaping what we've sown.

Totally agree with this, but doesn't mean his appointment won't underwhelm me.

Cool. Our chances of staying up have improved since Sunday which is mostly what I wanted. Let's all get behind him and hope he can get the three wins needed.

Yep get behind him and the team and ramp up the atmosphere as it’s been crap this last couple of years except for last years cup run

Have you been in a coma or something? Take a look at the league table, we’re not aiming for Europe.

Do you think, then, that where we are now is where we’re aiming to be?

Or, do you think we wish to achieve more than one place outside the relegation places? If so, as you know more than me, what is our aim and should our managerial choices support that desire?

Or, do you think we wish to achieve more than one place outside the relegation places? If so, as you know more than me, what is our aim and should our managerial choices support that desire?

We don't have much choice, we made the decision to stubbornly stick with MP for as long as we did, missed out on potential appointments, so we are now left to play with the left overs in an empty pool. As CB alluded to earlier, we've made an absolute cockup of this season and that's why we've limited our choices.

We're not going to be sacking him after 8 games and he's not going to be here for just 8 games, so we better buckle up and hope we can get a little bit of momentum from it as he will be our manager for the next 18 months at least.

A nothing appointment. Neither one thing or the other.

They could've thrown money at someone half decent and had a red hot go at staying up, or rolled the dice on a wildcard and crossed their fingers. At the very least they could've planned ahead and brought in an up-and-comer for the inevitable rebuilding job after this season's disaster.

But instead we've settled for dire mediocrity, accepted relegation, and will be lumbered with him next season, which will only continue our decline.

Won't win another game this season.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Hughes might not be the trendy choice, but he has pedigree and played under SAF, as well as for Barcelona and Bayern. Any of our players would envy his career.

Doesn’t make him a good manager, but he did a decent job with Stoke, they’d be better off if he had stayed. He knows the league, and he won’t take any half arsed crap from the players, should see a much better team attitude under him, and that’s all we need to pick up some points and win a cup...

A nothing appointment. Neither one thing or the other.

They could've thrown money at someone half decent and had a red hot go at staying up, or rolled the dice on a wildcard and crossed their fingers. At the very least they could've planned ahead and brought in an up-and-comer for the inevitable rebuilding job after this season's disaster.

But instead we've settled for dire mediocrity, accepted relegation, and will be lumbered with him next season, which will only continue our decline.

Won't win another game this season.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I keep seeing this argument 'throwing money at someone’ ‘‘bringing an upcoming manager in'' - who? Rowett? Potter? Rodgers? Jokanovik - those sorts? They're all in jobs. We're not going to be appointing a manager who is currently in a job, it a nonsensical move for both the 'selling club' and the manager himself, especially people like Rowett and Potter who could end up making very bad career choices, they will be better suited to waiting a few months as I've sure all their advisors will be saying.

People like Tuchel, Ancelotti, AVB are pure pie in the sky suggestions. We are not attractive to managers of that ilk.

We've made our bed and we have to lie in it. Hughes/Bilic is what I expect and that's the clubs fault, but that won't stop me supporting them and getting behind them. We needed a fresh start and whatever happens, we've got one.

Edited by S-Clarke

I’ve never been a fan of Hughes the manager but, as others have said, he’s where we’re realistically at, short of offering mega-money to an old, higher profile manager.

Part of the problem with Hughes is that people remember what a bellend he seemed to be when he saw played for us.

Why the delay?

Are we negotiating the release of a manager who is currently employed?

If it is going to be Mark Hughes it should be a quick deal.

It's been an entire day.

Mark Hughes (or whoever) and their agent are allowed to negotiate, they're allowed to make us squirm a bit. We're also allowed to interview more than candidate.

We'll have someone in before the weekend no bother - we won't go on national TV with Jaidi and Kelv leading them out.

We’re aiming to stay up, that’s all that matters at this point in time.

I’ve never been a fan of Hughes the manager but, as others have said, he’s where we’re realistically at, short of offering mega-money to an old, higher profile manager.

Part of the problem with Hughes is that people remember what a bellend he seemed to be when he saw played for us.

Was a dreadful signing for us, so he'll be better off not mentioning it in his website unveiling interview.