So...Mark Hughes

Saint Garrett

His immediate availability and his long premier league experience make him the obvious choice BUT I have never liked the guy, thought he was miserable when he had a year with us, and have watched his managerial failures ever since. Never thought he would come to us, never the less we will have to look for the best in him and hope for the best---that's the supporters job. Would have preferred the Fulham guy but at least it will be a change and certain to be for the better, nothing could be worse!

Christ that really does leave us with many realistic options does it! What vastly superior yet realistic options would you want then? Assuming silva turns us down who do we go for?

Apparently we're not interested in Silva. I think he's the only realistic option that I'd be happy with. Hughes and Bilic may be ok, but I think they're so limited it could give us real problems, and certainly wouldn't want either here past the end of the season.

You only have to look at other clubs opinions of Hughes and Bilic to understand. It's all too easy to think other clubs fans are clueless - but they know much better than we do.

Stoke fans are comfortably the worst set of fans in the league, and possibly all of English football. You won't meet a set of more bitter, deluded people anywhere, except perhaps down the road towards the eastern end of the M27.

God, people say that about all fans. First it was Liverpool, then Everton and their ****ing dug outs, and West Ham. Now it's Stoke.

All fan forums are full of deluded people - we're no different on here.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

God, people say that about all fans. First it was Liverpool, then Everton and their ****ing dug outs, and West Ham.

All fan forums are full of deluded people - we're no different on here.

Speak for yourself lol.

If I was one of the other struggling clubs fans and saw last night that we had sacked MP, I would have thought oh s*** and not slept well, then today seeing Hughes was likely to be the replacement I would have slept well again tonight.

If any of the other clubs around us had taken on Hughes I'm sure most would have laughed

Apparently we're not interested in Silva. I think he's the only realistic option that I'd be happy with. Hughes and Bilic may be ok, but I think they're so limited it could give us real problems, and certainly wouldn't want either here past the end of the season.

You only have to look at other clubs opinions of Hughes and Bilic to understand. It's all too easy to think other clubs fans are clueless - but they know much better than we do.

So I really don't understand your opinion. You agree that you wanted rid of Pellegrino and you are happy that he has been sacked now. You accept that we have a very small list of realistic candidates and you would only be happy with Silva from that list of candidates even though there is a possibility that he was never interested in the position. If that were the case, then it seems you would be unhappy with any other realistic candidate being appointed.

Speak for yourself lol.

If I was one of the other struggling clubs fans and saw last night that we had sacked MP, I would have thought oh s*** and not slept well, then today seeing Hughes was likely to be the replacement I would have slept well again tonight.

If any of the other clubs around us had taken on Hughes I'm sure most would have laughed

Then I would have seen that we had decided to appoint Kelvin instead and I would have died laughing...

But appointing Puel & Pellegrino was?

Puel had led a fairly bang-average team with limited resources to a very respectable stage in Europe, so I do see the logic and understand what the club hoped would happen. It just didn't work.

Pellegrino... goodness knows what they were thinking. They hoped and gambled on him being the next Pochettino, I assume? That didn't work either.

But Hughes, he has no track record to suggest he can do anything other than be bang-average. There's nothing, nothing at all on his CV to suggest he can improve a team like ours and take it into regular European football.

So I really don't understand your opinion. You agree that you wanted rid of Pellegrino and you are happy that he has been sacked now. You accept that we have a very small list of realistic candidates and you would only be happy with Silva from that list of candidates even though there is a possibility that he was never interested in the position. If that were the case, then it seems you would be unhappy with any other realistic candidate being appointed.

Christ, you're being really quite thick today aren't you?

I think Hughes will be an upgrade on Pellegrino. I've said that. I just don't think he's a very good upgrade. IMO we need to go out and get Silva. End of. If you're going to come up with strawmen ******** so that you can make out I don't want anyone, then that's fair enough, but it's not reasonable.

At the moment, all we know is that Silva, Hughes and Bilic are out there, and they all may/may not be interested. IMO two are very risky, and until he turns us down we should be trying our hardest to get Silva.

Just have a read of that Stoke thread and see who else thinks Hughes will be a good option for us.

Hughes is the definition of the 'anyone but him' attitude.

Can anybody imagine international or Champions League winning players looking up to and being motivated to play for a team managed by Mark Hughes? Can anybody imagine players not wanting to move to a bigger club, because they want to stay at Southampton and play under Mark Hughes?

Appointing Hughes will, IMO, be a clear signal that we're no longer aiming for regular European football. It will show we're quite content with survival or mid-table mediocrity. If that's what our board want, fine, appoint Hughes as that's exactly his track record. But, if that's the case, come out and admit it and stop selling fans a dream of continuous improvement, European dreams, breaking into the elite, etc. Be honest, tell us we're settling for 'OK' and at least we won't judge him for failing to deliver something the board never wanted.

Have you been in a coma or something? Take a look at the league table, we’re not aiming for Europe.

I realise we may not have many options available to us and HUGHES may be what is available. Really dislike the guy and do not want him anywhere near our club and will not be happy if we appoint him....I honestly do not think he is the answer long term.

That said i will understand if we appoint him and he will get my support.......i will hope it is not a long term appointment!

I think Hughes will be an upgrade on Pellegrino. I've said that. I just don't think he's a very good upgrade. IMO we need to go out and get Silva. End of. If you're going to come up with strawmen ******** so that you can make out I don't want anyone, then that's fair enough, but it's not reasonable.

At the moment, all we know is that Silva, Hughes and Bilic are out there, and they all may/may not be interested. IMO two are very risky, and until he turns us down we should be trying our hardest to get Silva.

Just have a read of that Stoke thread and see who else thinks Hughes will be a good option for us.

Maybe we have had our feelers out to Silva's people for a while, but he's made it clear he won't be interested. The fact is that the club needed to kickstart a reaction, they knew we couldn't carry on with MP. The clear criteria that I can see for any newly appointed manager is - experience of the PL.

The fact remains that MP should have gone during or before January, that would have opened a window to a bigger choice. 1) we had loads of money to spend, and 2) we still have quite a bit of the season to go.

We've got 8 games left, we're into spring, the choice isn't great. Let's just accept that the club did what they needed to do (albeit way too late) and just accept that whoever replaces him now isn't going to be some sort of worldy. If it's enough to strike a reaction and get us performing then it's a result.

No need for all that aggression just because your views weren't entirely clear. Alright then so your view is that of the available and realistic candidates who meet our criteria only Silva would be acceptable. Someone claiming to be ITK on here earlier said he wasn't interested. Hypothetically if that were the case, what would you do then?

Maybe we have had our feelers out to Silva's people for a while, but he's made it clear he won't be interested. The fact is that the club needed to kickstart a reaction, they knew we couldn't carry on with MP. The clear criteria that I can see for any newly appointed manager is - experience of the PL.

The fact remains that MP should have gone during or before January, that would have opened a window to a bigger choice. 1) we had loads of money to spend, and 2) we still have quite a bit of the season to go.

We've got 8 games left, we're into spring, the choice isn't great. Let's just accept that the club did what they needed to do (albeit way too late) and just accept that whoever replaces him now isn't going to be some sort of worldy. If it's enough to strike a reaction and get us performing then it's a result.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but to say I have to be happy with Hughes or Bilic as they're our only realistic options is bullocks. Better than MP, yes, but not very good.

He didn't 'bring them through' though. He had Modric and Rakitic come through - they are epic players. Nowt to do with him, hence why he's lucky.

A lot of players talka good game but aren't good Managers - most recent example being Gary Neville.

Except he did, he immediately called them up to the national team when he took over, he actually looked to youth players and developed a team from there and was very successful with it.

Lucky is just a stupid comment and his track record is much superior to Hughes. As I said his record against the top 6 was one of the best in the league and he still managed to get West Ham to 7th despite the sh*t show that is their transfer recruitment and their awful owners.

Edited by tajjuk

Don't think he is a fit for us if I'm being honest. Maybe its just me but since we changed to this ultra defensive, fear of winning style it just has not worked. If we are to survive we need to change back to our old systems and actually try and win games. If we get beat then fine but give it a go. I just don't think Hughes is the type of manager to do that. It would probably be the same as before.

I don't dislike Hughes and whoever is appointed (except Reed) would have my full support. But I just think we have a better chance of staying up if we go with someone known for attacking football/trying to win then someone trying not to lose. Who that could be I don't know. If we throw a **** load of money at Enrique/Blanc they may go for it until the end of the season.

Interesting perspective on the Stoke forum, which I would describe as, firstly, dismay at the news of Pellegrino’s dismissal, followed by secondly disbelief and relief that the “oxygen thief” Mark “**** up you club” (their words) Hughes is the favourite to replace him...

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/277656/pelegr-sacked

"They don't have clueless owners!"

Oh yes we do.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but to say I have to be happy with Hughes or Bilic as they're our only realistic options is bullocks. Better than MP, yes, but not very good.

The choice was for Pellegrino to stay or to be sacked now and have a limited number of realistic options- possibly three. If for some reason Silva is not available then that list shrinks to two people. If the choice is then Billic or Hughes and you are very unhappy with both then the question is would you have preferred that we kept Pellegrino? You may be unhappy with the available choice at that point but it's still infinitely preferable to having Pellegrino in charge so we have no choice but to accept one of the limited options available and make the best of the situation.

No need for all that aggression just because your views weren't entirely clear. Alright then so your view is that of the available and realistic candidates who meet our criteria only Silva would be acceptable. Someone claiming to be ITK on here earlier said he wasn't interested. Hypothetically if that were the case, what would you do then?

Come on Hypo, we've played this game before. It's called "wilful misinterpretation" on your side.

If that's the case, then we'd have to go for either Bilic or Hughes. Not a good appointment (but better than MP).

The choice was for Pellegrino to stay or to be sacked now and have a limited number of realistic options- possibly three. If for some reason Silva is not available then that list shrinks to two people. If the choice is then Billic or Hughes and you are very unhappy with both then the question is would you have preferred that we kept Pellegrino? You may be unhappy with the available choice at that point but it's still infinitely preferable to having Pellegrino in charge so we have no choice but to accept one of the limited options available and make the best of the situation.

No, and I've said that a number of times.

Just because we have limited options doesn't mean you have to be happy with those options. Not sure what you don't understand about that.

Come on Hypo, we've played this game before. It's called "wilful misinterpretation" on your side.

If that's the case, then we'd have to go for either Bilic or Hughes. Not a good appointment (but better than MP).

And if the club knew that Silva was unavailable and sacked Pellegrino anyway then you would still have supported the sacking knowing that our realistic options were Billic or Hughes? Of course you would have because I would have to. No one is happy that the club decided to sack him so late and leave us with a lack of choice but they are the best options we have available now and are the only realistic candidates that will give us a chance to stay up this season and will deserve our full support if either gets appointed. I think we've come to an agreement.

Except he did, he immediately called them up to the national team when he took over, he actually looked to youth players and developed a team from there and was very successful with it.

Lucky is just a stupid comment and his track record is much superior to Hughes. As I said his record against the top 6 was one of the best in the league and he still managed to get West Ham to 7th despite the sh*t show that is their transfer recruitment and their awful owners.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this. I think he was lucky as he was manager at a time when they had multiple excellent players come through. You don't think that. He was **** at the next two clubs he went to, and then had one good season at Wet Spam.

And if the club knew that Silva was unavailable and sacked Pellegrino anyway then you would still have supported the sacking knowing that our realistic options were Billic or Hughes? Of course you would have because I would have to. No one is happy that the club decided to sack him so late and leave us with a lack of choice but they are the best options we have available now and are the only realistic candidates that will give us a chance to stay up this season and will deserve our full support if either gets appointed. I think we've come to an agreement.

Yes, but what your saying is that I can't criticise or be disappointed because they're the only options we're being presented, which is bullocks.

I'd probably prefer Paul Clement until the end of the season above the other two as I think he'd produce the bounce effect we'd need more than the other two.

Just because we have limited options doesn't mean you have to be happy with those options. Not sure what you don't understand about that.

You may be unhappy but as you have said there are no other realistic alternatives bar Silva who some are saying would turn the job down so we just have to make the best of it. Blame the board for not sacking him in December, not for appointing Hughes when they have barely any realistic alternative.

what do you propose then? Care to say some names that you want?

I am presuming that you would prefer a massive roll of the dice and hire some unknown entity with a fancy name in the hope that he is a Pochettino, but also with an equal chance of hiring another Pellegrino?

Many, if not nearly all managers will have failures marked against them.

Hughes feels like the inevitable appointment.

Personally feel he is perfectly capable of keeping us up. Not exciting but competent. Needs a strong start.

I don't think we'd have got Silva anyway, he's going to hang on for something better. And Bilic would have been okay short term, but genuinely prefer Hughes to him.

why are you getting so precious , you didn’t worry using the word cretin earlier

I asked Jeff for some clarification and was given some abuse in return. You put words in my mouth and lied about what I said and I called you a cretin. If I had done something similar then I would have expected some abuse too.

Hughes seems to be dividing opinions. This from Simon Peach on Twitter...

“Perhaps Mark Hughes will prove the right fit for #SaintsFC, but can’t help feeling underwhelmed. He’s done well at some clubs but I covered the entirety of his reign at QPR - that wasn’t so good”

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/973490227577851905

Whoever we get will divide opinion. Who gives a ****e what some reporter thinks, I rate journos opinions about as highly as ****ed bloke down pub. Having the ability to write stories doesn’t mean you have any special knowledge of football.

This is 2nd hand but announced tonight and taking training tomorrow apparently.

Not from my usual sources I hasten to add but no real reason to doubt them.

Cheers mate

Hope he give us the bounce over the next 8 games...

I asked Jeff for some clarification and was given some abuse in return. You put words in my mouth and lied about what I said and I called you a cretin. If I had done something similar then I would have expected some abuse too.

I posted something yesterdaybwhich got nothing but abuse from you.

Don't give it if you can't take it you princess.

I posted something yesterdaybwhich got nothing but abuse from you.

Don't give it if you can't take it you princess.

It's not particularly hard to take it Snowflake, I just considered it unnecessary and so pointed that out. I believe I called your suggestion that the negativity of this forum was keeping Pellegrino in a job absolute b*llocks and I stand by that wholeheartedly.

Hughes was amongst the 'obvious 3' that would have been on my list.

Times have changed & we need to try something to give us the bounce. I've no idea why it's taken us this long to replace MP (A very nice man, but just too nice for the job).

8 games is going to be incredibly difficult to change things around, but we had to do something.

I'd stick with Hughes if we went down too.

It's not particularly hard to take it Snowflake, I just considered it unnecessary and so pointed that out. I believe I called your suggestion that the negativity of this forum was keeping Pellegrino in a job absolute b*llocks and I stand by that wholeheartedly.

Load of ******** and brain dead were phrases that you used. You then get precious when someone calls you a cretin.

Hypochondriac??? More like schizophrenic if you ask me.

This is 2nd hand but announced tonight and taking training tomorrow apparently.

Not from my usual sources I hasten to add but no real reason to doubt them.

Unconvinced he'd be the best choice if long term considerations were the only factor but, given we're in a desperate fight to stay up, hopefully he can inject enough spark & fight into the team to do so. Then it's up to him to prove the doubters wrong about him successfully leading a longer term project.

Hughes was amongst the 'obvious 3' that would have been on my list.

Times have changed & we need to try something to give us the bounce. I've no idea why it's taken us this long to replace MP (A very nice man, but just too nice for the job).

8 games is going to be incredibly difficult to change things around, but we had to do something.

I'd stick with Hughes if we went down too.

Yep think he will do ok not disappointed like most on here

what do you propose then? Care to say some names that you want?

I am presuming that you would prefer a massive roll of the dice and hire some unknown entity with a fancy name in the hope that he is a Pochettino, but also with an equal chance of hiring another Pellegrino?

Many, if not nearly all managers will have failures marked against them.

I'm not saying there is an alternative, I'm just saying it's a pretty **** alternative if that's all we're left with.

I'm not interested in answering any more straw men, as we don't know what's going on with Silva etc.

Is have Clement for instance, but only because I think he'd provide the 8 game bounce we need.

You may be unhappy but as you have said there are no other realistic alternatives bar Silva who some are saying would turn the job down so we just have to make the best of it. Blame the board for not sacking him in December, not for appointing Hughes when they have barely any realistic alternative.

I do blame the board for that, don't worry. I also blame them for having to appoint Hughes as our only choice. Then lastly, I am unhappy that Hughes will become our manager because Silva is out there (and we don't know if he'd come to us or not). I will be especially ****ed off of the Hughes contract is more than until the end of the season.

God, Hughes would be such an underwhelming, anti-climactic appointment for me. Great if he keeps us up, but I'd rather someone with a bit more about them.

Absolutely.

However, beggars can't be choosers, and the 'quality' of the leadership at the club have led us to this position.

I think Hughes gives us a FAR better chance of staying up; though I really hope it is a short term deal. Will be so annoyed if he gets longer than until the end of the season.

I'm not saying there is an alternative, I'm just saying it's a pretty **** alternative if that's all we're left with.

I'm not interested in answering any more straw men, as we don't know what's going on with Silva etc.

Is have Clement for instance, but only because I think he'd provide the 8 game bounce we need.

We're still taking our medicine for completely fu cking up the season. In a way we don't deserve an exciting appointment - we've left it too late and we're reaping what we've sown.