So...Mark Hughes

Saint Garrett

Would you be happy / not happy?

I think he'd give the players a kick up the arse, and could potentially do a decent job with the right recruitment in the summer assuming we stay up. Plays decent football, and is a "winner".

I'd be relatively happy...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/13/mark-hughes-favourite-southampton-job-aftermauricio-pellegrino/

Mark Hughes is the leading candidate for the vacant managerial position at Southampton, with the club working to finalise an appointment over the next 24 hours.

Southampton have approached Hughes after prioritising the need for Premier League experience and an immediate ability to galvanise their flagging squad.

It represents a change of emphasis from the recent appointments of Mauricio Pochettino, Ronald Koeman, Claude Puel and Mauricio Pellegrino from outside of the Premier League but, with eight games remaining to ensure they are not relegated, Southampton’s need is urgent.

The team are one point above the relegation zone after winning only once in 17 Premier League games and there is a strong feeling that they now need a manager who will have an impact, but potentially also fit with a longer term playing philosophy that gives younger players their chance.

Hughes has been out of work since being sacked by Stoke City in January, but the club had previously recorded three consecutive finishes of ninth before sliding last season to 13th.

He has also managed Wales, Manchester City, Blackburn Rovers Fulham and Queens Park Rangers – and is behind only Arsène Wenger, Sir Alex Ferguson, Harry Redknapp, David Moyes and Sam Allardye on the list of most Premier League games.

A former Southampton striker, he was seriously considered for the Southampton job way back in 2004 when Paul Sturrock eventually replaced Gordon Strachan.

Southampton have been exploring more experiences options and already had a plan in place should they reluctantly have decided to replace Pellegrino, with Saturday’s dire performance against Newcastle United proving to be the final straw. There was a feeling that a change had become urgently necessarily and, while many fans had been calling for his sacking over several months, Southampton felt that he could be a long-term success and were hoping he would translate a series of ultimately costly draws into wins.

Former Hull City and Watford manager Marco Silva has been heavily linked with the Southampton job but is not understood to be in consideration. Former West Ham United manager Slaven Bilic is also keen on returning back to the Premier League but is not prominent on the immediate shortlist.

Pellegrino was informed on Monday night of the club’s decision and the story was broken on Telegraph Sport shortly before the club formally confirmed his departure at 8.50pm.

As well as Pellegrino, assistant manager Carlos Compagnucci and assistant first team coach Xavier Tamarit also left Southampton on Monday. Former captain and goalkeeper Kelvin Davis will take training on Tuesday with goalkeeping coach Dave Watson.

Would you be happy / not happy?

I think he'd give the players a kick up the arse, and could potentially do a decent job with the right recruitment in the summer assuming we stay up. Plays decent football, and is a "winner".

I'd be relatively happy...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/13/mark-hughes-favourite-southampton-job-aftermauricio-pellegrino/

What makes you describe him as a 'Winner'? The 35% win percentage? And what makes you think he'll put a rocket up their arse, as by all accounts he's not THAT sort of manager, according to fans of clubs he's managed.

Apparently he's thoroughly unlikeable bloke, incredibly arrogant, doesn't tend to be a motivational manager and players don't tend to like him too much. He left QPR when they were bottom, with a team he brought in, and left Stoke when 2nd bottom, with another team he brought in. He has no discernible style, he's not particularly attacking and he cannot organise a defence.

But at least he's better than MP. He is the worst option of the options we have left (of which, admittedly, there are few).

Nope, I saw his approach with Wales at first hand. Build a defensive unit, think about how to score after that. We're already terrible at scoring goals, what we need is a balanced approach that motivates what we have and maybe has a bit more confidence in some of our creativity to be allowed to pass through the middle.

What makes you describe him as a 'Winner'? The 35% win percentage? And what makes you think he'll put a rocket up their arse, as by all accounts he's not THAT sort of manager, according to fans of clubs he's managed.

Apparently he's thoroughly unlikeable bloke, incredibly arrogant, doesn't tend to be a motivational manager and players don't tend to like him too much. He left QPR when they were bottom, with a team he brought in, and left Stoke when 2nd bottom, with another team he brought in. He has no discernible style, he's not particularly attacking and he cannot organise a defence.

But at least he's better than MP. He is the worst option of the options we have left (of which, admittedly, there are few).

As a player, he was a winner. No doubt about that.

FWIW, I don't really care if the players like him or not. It's not a popularity contest. Mourinho has a habit of rubbing people up the wrong way but, importantly, he gets results. By all accounts, not many players who played for SAF liked him very much either. I really don't think that is an issue.

As for not being able to organise a defence, I think that's a little harsh. He managed to guide a limited Stoke side to successive top ten finishes by making them hard to beat, as we discovered each time we played them during that time.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not exactly excited by the prospect of him being our manager. It seems an underwhelming appointment and one that we would only be making due to his immediate availability above anything else. But I think some of your criticism is a little unfair.

Nope, I saw his approach with Wales at first hand. Build a defensive unit, think about how to score after that. We're already terrible at scoring goals, what we need is a balanced approach that motivates what we have and maybe has a bit more confidence in some of our creativity to be allowed to pass through the middle.

If you don’t rate him then I’m sold, get him in.

We need to make this appointment with one eye on The Championship. I'd trust Hughes to take us straight back up more then the likes of Silva.

More to the point, I would trust Hughes to stay should we go down. Silva wouldn't.

He may not be the most exciting appointment but we don't exactly have a plethora of options right now.

I think he would get us playing more positive football (who wouldn't) and reckon he would get a lot more out of the likes of Gabbi, Boufal and possibly even Redmond. Until this season he had done a pretty good job at Stoke.

Not my first choice but don't think he'd be a bad appointment.

More than anything if it is him, we all as fans need to get fully behind him and the team if we are to have a chance of staying up.

Would be thoroughly dissapointed, like others have said above he doesn't seem to be a 'bounce' manager, or a 'kick up the behind' manager, or a 'gets them much fitter' manager all of which I think we need a bit of. He's also been nothing but average at every club and done just about enough whilst getting decent backing in terms of finances at most of those clubs as well.

Also to me seems very old school and as far as I know doesn't have a good track record at bringing in youngsters.

Nor does he have much track record dealing with relegation battles, he seems more responsible for causing clubs to get into them than trying to save them.

Pretty much everyone else on the bookies list I would prefer, Silva, Rodgers, Jokanovic, Bilic etc.

I hope it’s not Hughes. I’d rather Bilic than this guy. Failure pretty much everywhere he has managed.

Not really true is it. Much like billic

Most managers end their jobs in failure

We are ****e, we play ****e, we have turned into a shambles of a club. Hughes would be a decent shout. We would probably be lucky to get him

As a player, he was a winner. No doubt about that.

FWIW, I don't really care if the players like him or not. It's not a popularity contest. Mourinho has a habit of rubbing people up the wrong way but, importantly, he gets results. By all accounts, not many players who played for SAF liked him very much either. I really don't think that is an issue.

As for not being able to organise a defence, I think that's a little harsh. He managed to guide a limited Stoke side to successive top ten finishes by making them hard to beat, as we discovered each time we played them during that time.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not exactly excited by the prospect of him being our manager. It seems an underwhelming appointment and one that we would only be making due to his immediate availability above anything else. But I think some of your criticism is a little unfair.

Yeah, but he hasn't been a player for 18 years. Bryan Robson was a winner as a player. Not as a Manager.

It's not a popularity contest no, but we've been told our players are arrogant, disinterested etc - having a Manager they don't like come in won't help one bit.

47 conceded in 22 games 2017/2018 - Last in League at time. Extrapolate out to 81 conceded full season.

56 conceded 2016/2017 - 12th in League (-15 GD)

55 conceded 2015/2016 - 15th in League (-14 GD)

Doesn't suggest he's very good at coaching a defence to me, considering he has had money to spend.

I'm not sure I could ever not support Saints. I can see myself being disinterested but I'll always look up the result as the game finished.

Mark Hughes being appointed may very well test that resolve to the limit. Certainly wouldn't give the club any of my money in the way of purchasing tickets while he was in charge. I pray it's a stop gap until the season at worst and that it's just paper nonsense at best.

Not really true is it. Much like billic

Most managers end their jobs in failure

We are ****e, we play ****e, we have turned into a shambles of a club. Hughes would be a decent shout. We would probably be lucky to get him

Of course but there need to be some highs in there as well.

Bilic for example has had more highs than lows in his career and I'd reckon circumstances around his failure as West Ham were a big contributor considering the Payet situation and their general ineptitude in the transfer market.

Hughes's managerial career seems to be lacking the highs and is more lows.

More to the point, I would trust Hughes to stay should we go down. Silva wouldn't.

To be honest I'd say that's more of a reason to appoint Silva. We are having to take someone with a short term objective, not necessarily the best person we could get if it was pre/post season.

The board seem at pains to stress this is not an 'interim' appointment, but why shouldn't it be? Hire the person who gives us the best chance of staying up, offer them a hefty bonus. In the summer, they can either apply for the job full time or look elsewhere. The idea of managing Everton might even be added incentive for Silva to do well with us.

One argument might be that Mark Hughes would make a decent manager in the Championship, but even then I would rather we looked elsewhere. Maybe Graham Potter would be the ideal candidate if we had to ship out all our big names and start again with a lower profile squad.

Bilic for example has had more highs than lows in his career and I'd reckon circumstances around his failure as West Ham were a big contributor considering the Payet situation and their general ineptitude in the transfer market.

I like Bilic. Not sure how good a manager he is though... he seems capable of galvanising sides but the lack of fitness in West Ham's players during his time is a concern, always feel that hints at a lack of willingness to do the 'menial' but important things. I also wonder how much of his success at West Ham came down to having Payet, who was absolutely brilliant for them that season.

Hughes is the definition of the 'anyone but him' attitude.

Can anybody imagine international or Champions League winning players looking up to and being motivated to play for a team managed by Mark Hughes? Can anybody imagine players not wanting to move to a bigger club, because they want to stay at Southampton and play under Mark Hughes?

Appointing Hughes will, IMO, be a clear signal that we're no longer aiming for regular European football. It will show we're quite content with survival or mid-table mediocrity. If that's what our board want, fine, appoint Hughes as that's exactly his track record. But, if that's the case, come out and admit it and stop selling fans a dream of continuous improvement, European dreams, breaking into the elite, etc. Be honest, tell us we're settling for 'OK' and at least we won't judge him for failing to deliver something the board never wanted.

Can anybody imagine international or Champions League winning players looking up to and being motivated to play for a team managed by Mark Hughes? Can anybody imagine players not wanting to move to a bigger club, because they want to stay at Southampton and play under Mark Hughes?

Appointing Hughes will, IMO, be a clear signal that we're no longer aiming for regular European football. It will show we're quite content with survival or mid-table mediocrity. If that's what our board want, fine, appoint Hughes as that's exactly his track record. But, if that's the case, come out and admit it and stop selling fans a dream of continuous improvement, European dreams, breaking into the elite, etc. Be honest, tell us we're settling for 'OK' and at least we won't judge him for failing to deliver something the board never wanted.

But appointing Puel & Pellegrino was?

Just don't see Hughes as a good long term appointment.

Would much prefer Silva.

Would prefer Bilic too.

I think Silva has proved he isn't a long term type of guy he wanted to ditch Watford for Everton after half a season...

Though TBF the average PL manager lasts about 1.3 years so long term doesn't really matter.

Agree with this, I'd place Bilic on a par with Hughes in the **** stakes.

Bilic built his reputation based on one (lucky) spell as Croatia manager.

Lucky? He was in charge for 6 years FFS and developed them into one of the better national sides in the world despite a population of 4 million and brought through players like Modric from the U21s (who he also successfully managed). His team beat England home and away, even beat Germany in tournament football something no England manager has done for like 30 years.

Aside a below par spell with Lokomotiv Moscow he's been successful in most of his career, even his poor second season with West Ham he still has been their best PL manager.

He's also an intelligent guy and talks very well about the game, I have seen him doing punditry for multiple channels and is very insightful and knowledgeable. IIRC his West Ham team had the best record against the top 6 of any team outside the top 6.

Much better prospect than Hughes IMO.

Do people actually believe all that PR crap from the club then?

Lucky? He was in charge for 6 years FFS and developed them into one of the better national sides in the world despite a population of 4 million and brought through players like Modric from the U21s (who he also successfully managed). His team beat England home and away, even beat Germany in tournament football something no England manager has done for like 30 years.

Aside a below par spell with Lokomotiv Moscow he's been successful in most of his career, even his poor second season with West Ham he still has been their best PL manager.

He's also an intelligent guy and talks very well about the game, I have seen him doing punditry for multiple channels and is very insightful and knowledgeable. IIRC his West Ham team had the best record against the top 6 of any team outside the top 6.

Is that not more because the national side produced a lot of very good players at the same time, which he didn't have to coach/keep fit?

I think he's a very likeable bloke, and I think he is a really good pundit, but nothing in his managerial career would suggest to be he's a particularly good manager, certainly not in the Premier League.

To be honest Hughes has had a lot of highs. Blackburn, Man City and Fulham he did very well, QPR was a disaster but then they were a basket case club, Stoke was very good until this season. He wouldn't be my choice but to try and make out he is rubbish is just dumb. Nearly 40% win rate having managed some lower to middle clubs is actually very impressive. Don't really care about long term, what we need is someone to scrap for some results now and keep us up. Will be interesting to see who he brings with him.

Agree with this, I'd place Bilic on a par with Hughes in the **** stakes.

Bilic built his reputation based on one (lucky) spell as Croatia manager.

Christ that really does leave us with many realistic options does it! What vastly superior yet realistic options would you want then? Assuming silva turns us down who do we go for?

even beat Germany in tournament football something no England manager has done for like 30 years.

Doesn’t time fly. Who’d have thought Euro 2000 was 30 years ago. If beating Germany in tournament footballs the criteria, let’s bring KK back to Saints

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mid table ad survival has always been the priority of the Board. I have been telling you that for years. When we got European football there was no real intent to invest in the Europa club, it was not profitable. The Champions league would be too much of an investment.

Saints are at best, a mid table club, with an occasional good season and maybe a Cup run.

He didn't 'bring them through' though. He had Modric and Rakitic come through - they are epic players. Nowt to do with him, hence why he's lucky.

A lot of players talka good game but aren't good Managers - most recent example being Gary Neville.

Interesting perspective on the Stoke forum, which I would describe as, firstly, dismay at the news of Pellegrino’s dismissal, followed by secondly disbelief and relief that the “oxygen thief” Mark “**** up you club” (their words) Hughes is the favourite to replace him...

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/277656/pelegr-sacked

I don't think he could f**k up our club much worse than it is now.

Interesting perspective on the Stoke forum, which I would describe as, firstly, dismay at the news of Pellegrino’s dismissal, followed by secondly disbelief and relief that the “oxygen thief” Mark “**** up you club” (their words) Hughes is the favourite to replace him...

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/277656/pelegr-sacked

Stoke fans are comfortably the worst set of fans in the league, and possibly all of English football. You won't meet a set of more bitter, deluded people anywhere, except perhaps down the road towards the eastern end of the M27.

Managers that have done badly elsewhere have done well here in the past - Ball, Hoddle, Strachen and at least he has plenty of Premier league experience. The negatives have been well articulated above. If all appointments are gambles then this would be a big one but that's the territory we are in.

That’s mentality at the club sailed away along time ago. It’s about staying up and that’s it for now. You heard what Krueger said, we’re a small club.