My band's debut EP

mrfahaji

I'm not sure if this kind of thing's allowed or if it shouldn't be in 'the Lounge', but I'm not sure anyone reads the other sections, plus I'm feeling buoyant following the news of Pellegrino's departure!

My band (two-piece) have just recorded our debut EP, thought I'd share it on here for anyone who might be interested:

I'd say the genre is rock/alternative, but definitely some cheesy/poppy bits.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts, and of course hope you like it and want to share it with others! :) The EP is also on Spotify, iTunes etc.

I'm in call tonight, so had some time to listen.

I thought it was pretty decent , certainly better than the rubbish my 17 & 18 year olds listen to. I wouldn't buy it (doubt if I'm your target audience anyway) but equally wouldn't turn over the station if it came on the radio.

Personally, I prefer the bass being further forward (if that's the right term) and the singer doesn't do it for me. Sorry if that's you, he's in tune and I'm not sure what the correct expression is, but I'm not that keen on that sort of style. That's just me, there's plenty of famous singers that I feel the same way about, particularly in heavy rock/metal type stuff.

I don't know if the songs are covers or self composed but they're pretty good & well written imo.

All in all pretty decent for a first EP. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in call tonight, so had some time to listen.

I thought it was pretty decent , certainly better than the rubbish my 17 & 18 year olds listen to. I wouldn't buy it (doubt if I'm your target audience anyway) but equally wouldn't turn over the station if it came on the radio.

Personally, I prefer the bass being further forward (if that's the right term) and the singer doesn't do it for me. Sorry if that's you, he's in tune and I'm not sure what the correct expression is, but I'm not that keen on that sort of style. That's just me, there's plenty of famous singers that I feel the same way about, particularly in heavy rock/metal type stuff.

I don't know if the songs are covers or self composed but they're pretty good & well written imo.

All in all pretty decent for a first EP. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the comments Lord D, always appreciate feedback, and glad you at least didn't want to immediately turn it off!

Not sure if you mean the bass should just be a bit louder/more noticeable, will bear that in mind. Yes I am doing the vocals, but no offence taken, as you say it's often a personal taste/preference with singing. The songs are all self-composed, thanks for listening!

Thanks for the comments Lord D, always appreciate feedback, and glad you at least didn't want to immediately turn it off!

Not sure if you mean the bass should just be a bit louder/more noticeable, will bear that in mind. Yes I am doing the vocals, but no offence taken, as you say it's often a personal taste/preference with singing. The songs are all self-composed, thanks for listening!

Yes that’s what I mean about the bass. Again it’s just personal preference, I like stuff with prominent bass line. Some of McCartneys playing or someone like Rick Danko , although I’m a dinosaur so I wouldn’t take too much notice.

Can I ask you a couple of questions as I’m genuinely interested.

How old are you and is this your full time job. Also I think it’s amazing that only 2 of you can make that sound, but how does that relate to live performances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes that’s what I mean about the bass. Again it’s just personal preference, I like stuff with prominent bass line. Some of McCartneys playing or someone like Rick Danko , although I’m a dinosaur so I wouldn’t take too much notice.

Can I ask you a couple of questions as I’m genuinely interested.

How old are you and is this your full time job. Also I think it’s amazing that only 2 of you can make that sound, but how does that relate to live performances.

Definitely not my full time job! I'm 33, too old to start a music career I'd say, but who knows. I always wanted to write/play, in fact a lot of the songs (or at least bits of them) were written many years ago. Then in the past year or so we started getting back into it and decided to do the EP. At the very least it's nice to be able to say we have something professionally recorded, regardless of what we do with it next.

Although there are bits of bass which we wanted to stand out (e.g. at the end of the piano in Last Man Standing), one reason why it's more of a 'support' instrument is because neither of us are bassists (we shared bass duty, I'm playing it on 2 songs), so we felt more comfortable having simpler/quieter basslines with the occasional twiddly bit. Our main musical influences tend to have big guitars too, so we wanted them louder in the mix.

Yes, playing live will be tricky with just two of us, so we'll either recruit some new members, find some temps or never play live. Hopefully not the last option though!

I skipped through them as I have the computer on in office and wasn't sure if it would be suitable for customers to hear. lol

My first observation was the vocalist/vocalists would be good for ballads. Im not too into rock ,but also felt too much instrumental stuff instead of the vocals. Apart from that pretty good.

I'm not sure if this kind of thing's allowed or if it shouldn't be in 'the Lounge', but I'm not sure anyone reads the other sections, plus I'm feeling buoyant following the news of Pellegrino's departure!

My band (two-piece) have just recorded our debut EP, thought I'd share it on here for anyone who might be interested:

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts, and of course hope you like it and want to share it with others! :) The EP is also on Spotify, iTunes etc.

I tried to listen but got message “ 404 not found” ?

I tried to listen but got message “ 404 not found” ?

Strange, link seems to work for me and others... you could go to Soundcloud and search 'Atlas Fury' if you were desperate to find it, but no worries otherwise!

I skipped through them as I have the computer on in office and wasn't sure if it would be suitable for customers to hear. lol

My first observation was the vocalist/vocalists would be good for ballads. Im not too into rock ,but also felt too much instrumental stuff instead of the vocals. Apart from that pretty good.

Thanks for listening OldNick - apart from (some songs) being a bit heavy for customers, nothing else to worry about (i.e. no swearing) I don't think... Yes I'd love to have a gravelly 'rock' voice but unfortunately nature hasn't bestowed that upon me!

Definitely not my full time job! I'm 33, too old to start a music career I'd say, but who knows. I always wanted to write/play, in fact a lot of the songs (or at least bits of them) were written many years ago. Then in the past year or so we started getting back into it and decided to do the EP. At the very least it's nice to be able to say we have something professionally recorded, regardless of what we do with it next.

Yes, playing live will be tricky with just two of us, so we'll either recruit some new members, find some temps or never play live. Hopefully not the last option though!

That’s pretty impressive if you’re not doing it full time. I know I had a downer on the vocals, but that was when I thought you were pros. The biggest thing I’ve noticed with amateur bands is the vocals are normally Shiite. I’ve seen so many decent bands ruined by a lousy singer. My Mrs is always rolling her eyes when I get on my high horse around vocalists. As I said, not my cup of tea, but better than 90% of amateurs I’ve heard.

My mate is in his early 40’s and he plays in a band. He’s a language teacher but plays gigs at weekends. They’re good, they play approx 75% covers, 25% originals, but they cleverly slot the originals in. They never announce them (announcing your self penned song is the amateur equivalent of Paul McC announcing, “here’s one from my latest album”, it kills the vibe), they fit them between similar style covers, most people don’t realise they’re playing originals, they just assume they’re covers of songs they don’t know. This gives my mate more satisfaction as they’re not just a wedding/covers band, and he gets to showcase his stuff, even though most of the audience don’t realise. This could be a way for you to go. Get a band together, make some decent pocket money and get your music is out there.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have listened to the tracks.

My sort of music definitely as I am not a lover of the current over produced plastic music apart from the odd exception.

I am an ex pro musician myself and was in a couple of local southampton rock bands in the 90’s, Kuba and Emotional Blackmail, plus I had a stint as a keyboard player for Mungo Jerry, although not my type of music but I did it for the experience until I upset Ray Dorset by backing out of a big tour.

Please accept criticism as a positive and disregard if appropriate as I am now what is considered to be in the old fogey stage.

The songs are well written but there needs to be more light and shade as most of the songs go at it right from the start, plus there needs to be more atmospherics either with the use of keyboards or by mixing. Not a perfect example as they are a completely different style of rock to you, but Rammstein’s use of quiet then full on, keyboards, driving guitars then strings etc gives you the light and shade.

My opinion only for what it is worth, but great to hear someone still producing rock songs and at a pretty good standard, with experience you can only get better. Might be a good idea to get a full compliment behind you because my Band Emotional Blackmail was a full lineup but because of politics we reduced it to a 2 piece and it never really produced the dynamics of a proper band set up.

Have listened to the tracks.

My sort of music definitely as I am not a lover of the current over produced plastic music apart from the odd exception.

I am an ex pro musician myself and was in a couple of local southampton rock bands in the 90’s, Kuba and Emotional Blackmail, plus I had a stint as a keyboard player for Mungo Jerry, although not my type of music but I did it for the experience until I upset Ray Dorset by backing out of a big tour.

Please accept criticism as a positive and disregard if appropriate as I am now what is considered to be in the old fogey stage.

The songs are well written but there needs to be more light and shade as most of the songs go at it right from the start, plus there needs to be more atmospherics either with the use of keyboards or by mixing. Not a perfect example as they are a completely different style of rock to you, but Rammstein’s use of quiet then full on, keyboards, driving guitars then strings etc gives you the light and shade.

My opinion only for what it is worth, but great to hear someone still producing rock songs and at a pretty good standard, with experience you can only get better. Might be a good idea to get a full compliment behind you because my Band Emotional Blackmail was a full lineup but because of politics we reduced it to a 2 piece and it never really produced the dynamics of a proper band set up.

Thanks for the feedback, good to hear from a fellow (but professional) musician, especially one who listens to and/or plays similar stuff. Did you have a preference for any particular track? There definitely doesn't seem to be a consensus amongst people we have asked!

Will take onboard your comments about light and shade, particularly as that's an area that in some way we feel, if not (obviously...) a 'signature sound', then something we like to incorporate. I think we have done it more in the bridge/breakdown of the songs - being influenced by bands like AFI, Biffy Clyro and System of a Down, we like those atmospheric bridges followed by big choruses - but you have a good point about the songs coming in full on at the start, and I can see that there isn't (maybe apart from Blood on your hands and Burn) a huge distinction between the verses and choruses.

Yeah I think it will be good to have one or two additions to the band. Hard to relinquish control, but probably worth it. Would also mean we could actually have a gig, ha.

Edited by mrfahaji

Thanks for the feedback, good to hear from a fellow (but professional) musician, especially one who listens to and/or plays similar stuff. Did you have a preference for any particular track? There definitely doesn't seem to be a consensus amongst people we have asked!

Will take onboard your comments about light and shade, particularly as that's an area that in some way we feel, if not (obviously...) a 'signature sound', then something we like to incorporate. I think we have done it more in the bridge/breakdown of the songs - being influenced by bands like AFI, Biffy Clyro and System of a Down, we like those atmospheric bridges followed by big choruses - but you have a good point about the songs coming in full on at the start, and I can see that there isn't (maybe apart from Blood on your hands and Burn) a huge distinction between the verses and choruses.

Yeah I think it will be good to have one or two additions to the band. Hard to relinquish control, but probably worth it. Would also mean we could actually have a gig, ha.

I think my favourite track is the first one “Oblivion”, not sure why!. These are just my views so take them with a pinch of salt, being 61 I am well out of the musical loop now and have been an ex pro for near on 25 years, but I do think what you are producing is very polished, you are obviously good musicians with good vocals.

Just to give you an idea of what I was badly conveying to you in my previous post, there was a band in the late 80’s early 90’s that had reasonable success called “It Bites”, they are still gigging but with a new singer/guitarist and bass player, this Youtube link is a gig they did in 2010 and although what they do now is probably dated listen to how the songs are constructed with lots of light and shade, hooks, middle 8’s etc, Biffy Clyro do this as well which just adds more interest to the song.

Again, I am well past my sell by date so dont take my views as gospel as the music scene has changed since I was involved in it, but I am still a firm believer that a good song always contains hooks, atmosphere, drive, light and dark.

All the best for the future, get a band together as you need to be performing live.

Anyways, back to the nerve jangling saints, cant think clearly until this afternoons done with.

• 5 weeks later...

I've just listened to the first 4 tracks and definitely preferred "Blood on your hands" to the other 3.

Overall I thought you were ok, but you're not the style of music I would buy. If I came across you playing a gig I would definitely stay to listen as you are a cut above many bands I've heard.

Good luck with your efforts.