So when will the new manager be announced and what changes do you expect to see?

SaintJackoInHurworth

Personally, I would expect it to be announced some time tomorrow.

In terms of changes I don't particularly anticipate much change in playing personnel - I just expect a faster, more aggressive, attacking style of football - whichever candidate is appointed.

A few thoughts about changes though...

* Redmond - I anticipate him relishing the opportunity to be more direct and for him to return to form.

* Lemina - as above.

* Defence - I suspect we will see a return for Yoshida with a new manager opting for more experience. We may see five at the back.

* Wigan - if the manager is appointed in time for that match, I think it may give him the opportunity to experiment a little, though hopefully not in a way that will jeopardise our chances of getting a win. If there had not been an international break straight afterwards and if we appoint Hughes, I wonder if he might have played the reserves. I am not particularly expecting that on this occasion.

* Attack - I would anticipate Gabbiadini and/or Austin to feature most prominently. I don't expect Long to get much game time. It remains to be seen whether Carrillo will play much. I guess he may play until Austin is fit but we wil have to see after that.

I think you'll see a return to basics first and foremost, none of this tactical trying to be clever bull**** - just play to the strenghs you have with the best players in their best positions for every game. That's how I'd approach it anyway, especially with only 8 games left.

Potentially we also have the added element of Hughes working with 3 players we snatched from under his nose @ Stoke - Lemina, Redmond & Cedric.

Somehow who ever the new manager is has to shore up a defence you could drive a bus through these days. Everyone keeps going on about our attacking football but defensively we have been shocking this season we can't keep a clean sheet is probably no surprise that our demise seems to directly correlate to a general downgrading of our CBs.

Pass forwards? Take some risks.

Hope JWP stays right midfield, he was looking good and in a more attacking team would get more assists. Tadic or Redmond left, Boufal or Gabbiadini off the striker. Hopefully Sims still gets a chance.

I'd go with one of these for remaining games

McCarthy

Cedric Stephens Hoedt Bertrand

JWP Lemina Romeu Tadic

Boufal

Gabbiadini

McCarthy

JWP Romeu Lemina

Sims Gabbiadini Redmond

Assuming Austin isn't back.

I really hope Hughes resists the temptation to play Ward-Prowse, thinking his corners and dead ball deliveries are going to lift us to safety. His last few games played wide right have exposed his lack of pace in attack and defence and slows our movement down - players like Sims, Boufal and even Redmond/Gabbiadini have to be the players wide to up our speed and movement. Agree about Gabbiadini; I think he will be used in tandem with Austin or perhaps Carillo if Austin is unavailable. I expect Lemina, Romeu and Hojbjerg to play a lot of Football in our remaining games and if Yoshida is fit he will be played, probably in preference to Stephens. If Tadic can lift, or be lifted, he could play a part, wide left. Speed of movement and quick build up is needed, not possession based, slow build up ending in hopeful crosses which are not going to get us over the line.

raf,750x1000,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

Ok maybe not 4-4-2, but I hope to see 2 up front for starters, Chaz and Gabz when Chaz is fit, but for me Gabbiadini needs to play. Draws won't keep us up, we need to attack and at least try to win games against West Ham, Swansea, Leicester, Everton and Bournemouth. Against Chelsea, Arsenal and City, any extra points we get are a bonus. I can see us getting 7 more points. Will it be enough?

I expect he’ll say what we’ve all been crying out to hear..

“Football is all about efficiency”

“Bournemouth are a very good side, it will be a very difficult game”

“There’s only a few points between 12 or 13 sides”

“When a player is running towards an open goal, his first thought should be to defend just in case the other team tries to counter attack”

“The Team is improving every week and 17th is a great league position”

“Let’s start with Nathan Redmond again. I love the way he runs fast with the ball directly towards opposing players and then gives the ball away”

:)

Pass forwards? Take some risks.

Hope JWP stays right midfield, he was looking good and in a more attacking team would get more assists. Tadic or Redmond left, Boufal or Gabbiadini off the striker. Hopefully Sims still gets a chance.

I'd go with one of these for remaining games

McCarthy

JWP Lemina Romeu Tadic

Boufal

Gabbiadini

McCarthy

JWP Romeu Lemina

Sims Gabbiadini Redmond

Assuming Austin isn't back.

Dear God, no more. With the clown gone hopefully Redmond will be on the right, or on the bench.

Somehow who ever the new manager is has to shore up a defence you could drive a bus through these days. Everyone keeps going on about our attacking football but defensively we have been shocking this season we can't keep a clean sheet is probably no surprise that our demise seems to directly correlate to a general downgrading of our CBs.

Not sure this is right though: 7 teams have scored less than us, 8 have let in more goals.

5 have scored fewer than us AND let in more goals, while 5 have a worse goal difference.

Too may draws, not enough wins, not trying to win, just not to lose, and not doing that very well either

In terms of changes I don't particularly anticipate much change in playing personnel - I just expect a faster, more aggressive, attacking style of football - whichever candidate is appointed.

* Redmond - I anticipate him relishing the opportunity to be more direct and for him to return to form.

* Lemina - as above.

* Defence - I suspect we will see a return for Yoshida with a new manager opting for more experience. We may see five at the back.

* Wigan - if the manager is appointed in time for that match, I think it may give him the opportunity to experiment a little, though hopefully not in a way that will jeopardise our chances of getting a win. If there had not been an international break straight afterwards and if we appoint Hughes, I wonder if he might have played the reserves. I am not particularly expecting that on this occasion.

* Attack - I would anticipate Gabbiadini and/or Austin to feature most prominently. I don't expect Long to get much game time. It remains to be seen whether Carrillo will play much. I guess he may play until Austin is fit but we wil have to see after that.

If Hughes gets the gig I disagree with your attack comments. It will be Long +1. He is exactly the sort of player Hughes would play.

Not sure this is right though: 7 teams have scored less than us, 8 have let in more goals.

5 have scored fewer than us AND let in more goals, while 5 have a worse goal difference.

Too may draws, not enough wins, not trying to win, just not to lose, and not doing that very well either

A lot of those draws would be wins if we could keep a clean sheets though....

Dear God, no more. With the clown gone hopefully Redmond will be on the right, or on the bench.

One of the criticisms levelled at him at Stoke was playing people out of position!

We can be fairly sure he will have had his eye on us for a while and no doubt be pretty familiar with the players so will be very interesting to see what changes he makes. He’ll be hitting the ground running which is what we most definitely need.

I think we’ll play in a similar way to how we did under Koeman.

Defensively organised, break with pace on the counter.

Think we’ll continue to play 4231, but expect him to show a bit more flexibility.

I think we’ll do alright.

One of the criticisms levelled at him at Stoke was playing people out of position!

We can be fairly sure he will have had his eye on us for a while and no doubt be pretty familiar with the players so will be very interesting to see what changes he makes. He’ll be hitting the ground running which is what we most definitely need.

Why can we be fairly sure he has had his eye on us for a while? For all we know he has spent the last couple in months playing golf and taking up knitting.

Think we’ll continue to play 4231, but expect him to show a bit more flexibility.

I think that's more your hope than any rationale of reality. Stoke certainly weren't playing like that this season and our CBs are going to have improve massively to make us defensively organized.

Doesn't matter who comes in its a big ask to save us now hoping for a new manager bounce but I'm not convinced we will get it.

Expect to see Gabbiadini back in a starting role, assuming Austin still not fit.

As you say, unless Austin is fit then our best chance of scoring some goals is to find a way to get Gabbiadini playing in form. Whether that means a change of shape, a change in attitude or something else, that's Hughes' biggest challenge. I expect us to remain porous at the back because our defenders really aren't that good so the attacking challenge is the important one.

Biggest thing he needs to do is find a way for us to be more of a threat without being too open.

Two strikers isn't always the answer to not scoring, especially given some of the games we have to come.

Mostly though, it will be changing the mentality of the players and trying to instill a bit of belief and confidence.

* Lemina - as above.

This "return to form" you allude to.....when has he displayed "form"?

Biggest thing he needs to do is find a way for us to be more of a threat without being too open.

Two strikers isn't always the answer to not scoring, especially given some of the games we have to come.

Mostly though, it will be changing the mentality of the players and trying to instill a bit of belief and confidence.

This is it. It’s not all about formations. If the midfielders are fit and join the sole attacker quickly then the formation can be fluid depending on if we are in possession, however if we are not fit, motivated and specifically instructed to crowd the centre of the pitch when we are in possession then there is an issue as we have seen to monotonous boredom and frustration.

Edited by captainchris

Why can we be fairly sure he has had his eye on us for a while? For all we know he has spent the last couple in months playing golf and taking up knitting.

Hughes taking up knitting? Now there's a mental picture that will be difficult to shake off!

But why wouldn't he have kept an eye on us these past several weeks? Once he had lost his job at Stoke in the New Year, then surely he would have been casting an eye over other clubs who might potentially sack their manager, in order to bone up on what he might say at an interview if he was invited to comment on how he would go about turning around that club's fortunes. Most on here were calling for Pochettino's head by the New Year, so as other clubs near the relegation zone appointed replacement managers, the field narrowed as to the clubs that might become available and the managers who might take them over. I would be surprised if Hughes hadn't considered the possibility of managing us in the event of us sacking Pellegrino, and accordingly made provision for it by doing a bit of research into us, our players and where we were going wrong.

Hughes taking up knitting? Now there's a mental picture that will be difficult to shake off!

But why wouldn't he have kept an eye on us these past several weeks? Once he had lost his job at Stoke in the New Year, then surely he would have been casting an eye over other clubs who might potentially sack their manager, in order to bone up on what he might say at an interview if he was invited to comment on how he would go about turning around that club's fortunes. Most on here were calling for Pochettino's head by the New Year, so as other clubs near the relegation zone appointed replacement managers, the field narrowed as to the clubs that might become available and the managers who might take them over. I would be surprised if Hughes hadn't considered the possibility of managing us in the event of us sacking Pellegrino, and accordingly made provision for it by doing a bit of research into us, our players and where we were going wrong.

I imagine he concluded it went wrong becuase we didn't have a Peter crouch to throw on in the second half.

I'm not a massive fan of Hughes I can see in our position choices are extremely limited but it beggars belief that club have put themselves in a position where our only hope is employ a guy sacked a few months ago because he was going to get Stoke relegated.

I imagine he concluded it went wrong becuase we didn't have a Peter crouch to throw on in the second half.

I'm not a massive fan of Hughes I can see in our position choices are extremely limited but it beggars belief that club have put themselves in a position where our only hope is employ a guy sacked a few months ago because he was going to get Stoke relegated.

Rumour is he's going to reprogramme Forster as Lankabot mk II...

I agree, what a position to find ourselves in. The blame lies with Les Reed for appointing a manager totally out of his depth and then not having the balls to admit that he had cocked it up and bring in somebody sooner when there was still a better selection of candidates and a January transfer window available to bring in the players to plug the gaps in the squad. If we survive in the PL, then effectively we start next season with a clean slate and can go back to the drawing board, hopefully learning from the mistakes we made these past two seasons.

Pace? We don't have any, unless we are playing our full backs as wingers, or maybe Sims. Redmond supposedly has it but doesn't really seem to show it and Long has it, but is no use at practically everything else.

Do you think he only had the heads-up for this job yesterday? Really lol.

So you are saying he has been in the frame for months then? And the club just thought 8 games to go was the perfect time to bring him in. Let's face it everyone had pretty much come to the conclusion that MoPe was seeing out the season.

So you are saying he has been in the frame for months then? And the club just thought 8 games to go was the perfect time to bring him in. Let's face it everyone had pretty much come to the conclusion that MoPe was seeing out the season.

If you think he only became aware of the situation / opportunity yesterday then I'm afraid I can't help you.

Pace? We don't have any, unless we are playing our full backs as wingers, or maybe Sims. Redmond supposedly has it but doesn't really seem to show it and Long has it, but is no use at practically everything else.

In my opinion our strongest strategy was indeed playing Bertrand and Cedric as wing backs. We were effective often with Tadic/Boufal overlapping Bertrand on the left and Redmond should play on the right, overlapping Cedric. Our problem has been that if the ball has been played into the box from a fast break forward out wide, that there have not been the players in the box in sufficient numbers to capitalise. We need two strikers in there, or if not, one striker and a player with quick feet and a good shot on him, like Sims.

I do hope that we have seen the last of this possession at all costs boring football, with the ball passed sideways and backwards until the opposition defence is back in numbers and impregnable. If it is Hughes, it would be nice to see whether he can eradicate this from our game and get us to press forward in numbers and with pace. Let's see what Gabbiadini can do with some service, maybe even Carillo, or both together please.

Yes I read that and it is a bit of a worry. But, unlike our dearly departed moron, I'm sure Hughes will figure out the mistake very quickly if he does stick Redmond out on the left (and Tadic on the right).

Agree with this.....we have the players to play that system and this is where I think Puel got it wrong also. More direct, fast paced, counter attacking football.....and I'd welcome it with open arms!

We should beat Wigan but after that I'd expect Hughes to start to have an influence so we'll get shambolic defence and heavy defeats. This season Hughes' Stoke team lost 3-0 at home to West Ham, 4-0 at home and 5-0 away to Chelsea and 7-2 away to Man City so we can expect similar defeats in our remaining games.

We should beat Wigan but after that I'd expect Hughes to start to have an influence so we'll get shambolic defence and heavy defeats. This season Hughes' Stoke team lost 3-0 at home to West Ham, 4-0 at home and 5-0 away to Chelsea and 7-2 away to Man City so we can expect similar defeats in our remaining games.

Yes.that is exactly how it works

But the previous 3 seasons they weren't far behind us with a worse squad (imo)

But completely different manager with many more strengths so most likely totally different results

Just like West brom, West ham, Stoke and to extant Palace then? All have changed the manager and it has had little major effect. Swansea and Watford are probably the only teams improved. There are issues with the squad that Hughes is going to have problems sorting out in 8-10 games

In defence we have only two fit CBs both of whom are error prone and a bit **** in the air he can't do anything about them other than play someone out of position as an Ersatz CB or go extra defensive in midfield to give them more protection.

Up front our only natural goal scorer isn't fit giving us a choice of three goal shy strikers who have 5 goals between them all season again not much he can do about it

We lack pace in the side again hard for him to do anything about other than play Shane "4% conversion rate" Long or young untried Josh Sims

Just like West brom, West ham, Stoke and to extant Palace then? All have changed the manager and it has had little major effect. Swansea and Watford are probably the only teams improved. There are issues with the squad that Hughes is going to have problems sorting out in 8-10 games

In defence we have only two fit CBs both of whom are error prone and a bit **** in the air he can't do anything about them other than play someone out of position as an Ersatz CB or go extra defensive in midfield to give them more protection.

Up front our only natural goal scorer isn't fit giving us a choice of three goal shy strikers who have 5 goals between them all season again not much he can do about it

We lack pace in the side again hard for him to do anything about other than play Shane "4% conversion rate" Long or young untried Josh Sims

Plus the players make too many mistakes and are generally inconsistent but I hope they sart playing well but at the moment I cant see it happening

Do you think we should have stuck with the worst manager we have ever had then, just because David Moyes hasn't taken West Ham into European contention? Edited by CB Fry

Do you think we should gave stuck with the worst manager we have ever had then, just because David Moyes hasn't taken West Ham into European contention?

No we should not have stuck with him but Doddie makes some valid points

It is not completely down to the manager a great deal is down to the players and the lack of recruitment of consistent pacey and exciting player some of which should be able to score a few goals