World Cup in Russia

spyinthesky

I thought that a short time ago the Russians said that all fans including the English ones would be perfectly safe?

However after the business in Salisbury where they didn't seem to care if they had injured innocent UK people as

well as their targets who would be stupid enough to even think about going now? English fans will be even more of

a target than before and IMHO the police won't rush in to save any English fans who are being attacked. I strongly

suspect that if the English fans look like they are holding their own the Police will side with the Russian fans against

them.

Yet again Russia has proved that it is an unreliable country in the hands of pathetic, unstable, psychotic morons.

I know the vast majority on here might not understand the following reasoning but whenever I think of all the sacrifices

the thousands of men,who lost their lives helping that country during WW2, made for that lot it makes my blood boil.

I thought that a short time ago the Russians said that all fans including the English ones would be perfectly safe?

However after the business in Salisbury where they didn't seem to care if they had injured innocent UK people as

well as their targets who would be stupid enough to even think about going now? English fans will be even more of

a target than before and IMHO the police won't rush in to save any English fans who are being attacked. I strongly

suspect that if the English fans look like they are holding their own the Police will side with the Russian fans against

them.

Yet again Russia has proved that it is an unreliable country in the hands of pathetic, unstable, psychotic morons.

I know the vast majority on here might not understand the following reasoning but whenever I think of all the sacrifices

the thousands of men,who lost their lives helping that country during WW2, made for that lot it makes my blood boil.

You do know they lost more than us helping us defeat Hitler right?

Can't understand any fans wanting to go at all TBH. We all saw the chaos they caused in France, imagine what they'll do in their own back yard with all the proper nutters who couldn't travel last time.

them.

It will all depend on the image of Russia Putin wants to project to the wider world when the eyes of the world are upon it.

Obviously organised hooliganism is rife over there but I expect Putin will ensure it all disappears during the duration of the world cup.

It will all depend on the image of Russia Putin wants to project to the wider world when the eyes of the world are upon it.

Obviously organised hooliganism is rife over there but I expect Putin will ensure it all disappears during the duration of the world cup.

‘Disappears’

Temporarily or permanently? ;)

it will be interesting how Arsenal fans cope over there soon

I'm going, from 1st game to last 16. It'll be fine.
I suggest you don't go around with a St Georges flag draped over you and you stay low key. The anti British frenzy is being whipped up.

Good luck Griffo, can't have those goalscoring feet damaged lol

I suggest you don't go around with a St Georges flag draped over you and you stay low key. The anti British frenzy is being whipped up.

Good luck Griffo, can't have those goalscoring feet damaged lol

The St George's Cross looks a lot like the national flag of Georgia (former USSR republic). The Russian's hate them even more than us and currently occupy part of the country, like Ukraine.

georgian-flag-500x321.jpg

So? Are you saying Russia wasn't key to winning WWII? (as this is clearly what I was responding to)

It was one brutal political ideology defending itself against an opposing brutal ideology, which had attacked first. We happened to be on the side of one and not the other. Neither were right.

The St George's Cross looks a lot like the national flag of Georgia (former USSR republic). The Russian's hate them even more than us and currently occupy part of the country, like Ukraine.

georgian-flag-500x321.jpg

The media coverage/political perception of issues like Crimea over here is about as unbiased as Russia Today's media coverage. Crimea is fiercely pro-Russian (Ethnic Russians outnumber ethnic Ukranians by more than 4 to 1) and has had a degree of self governance before Ukraine was even an independent country. We report it one way, the Russians report the opposite and the truth is somewhere in the middle. It all stems from ex-Soviet countries' internal infighting over being pro-west/pro-russian and Putin moves the chess pieces accordingly.

Ultimately Putin has way too much power in the world than the west can handle. We can do absolutely sod all about it other than continually ensure everything is the Russians' fault to control public opinion, and the Russians couldn't care less (See where accusing foreign dictators of having chemical weapons has got us before).

It is sad that it all leads people to have such a negative perception of Russians as a whole (all 145 million of them).

The media coverage/political perception of issues like Crimea over here is about as unbiased as Russia Today's media coverage. Crimea is fiercely pro-Russian (Ethnic Russians outnumber ethnic Ukranians by more than 4 to 1) and has had a degree of self governance before Ukraine was even an independent country. We report it one way, the Russians report the opposite and the truth is somewhere in the middle. It all stems from ex-Soviet countries' internal infighting over being pro-west/pro-russian and Putin moves the chess pieces accordingly.

Ultimately Putin has way too much power in the world than the west can handle. We can do absolutely sod all about it other than continually ensure everything is the Russians' fault to control public opinion, and the Russians couldn't care less (See where accusing foreign dictators of having chemical weapons has got us before).

It is sad that it all leads people to have such a negative perception of Russians as a whole (all 145 million of them).

I go to Ukraine a lot - 15 times in the past year. I'm there tomorrow. Tomorrow night I'll have dinner with an ethnic Russian Ukrainian woman whose brother was killed in Donetsk airport. Russia had asked for a truce so they could collect their soldiers bodies. The Ukrainians agreed. After the truce when the Ukrainian soldiers returned to the airport the Russians detonated explosives they had planted during the truce and killed 85 men.

Crimea there might be some justification for reunion as historically it was part of Russia, even though it was done in a unlawful and underhand way. The Donbass is a totally different situation. The large majority of ethnic Russian Ukrainians are loyal to Ukraine, not to Russia. They have had 100 years of being tied to Russia, poor and unable to travel and now they want to be European. They look at how the eastern bloc countries like Poland have transformed over the past 25 years and want the same. They want some hope for the future, not more of the same.

Russia put paid agents into Ukraine to foment a rebellion when their man Yanukovych was ousted. He was ousted because he reversed his election pledge of seeking closer ties with the EU and instead signed an association deal with Russia. Yanukovych was immensely corrupt had been bribed by Putin with $1billion to sell out his people. He also appropriated state assets. Putin miscalculated and his plan of dividing the country in two failed. He has been left with a dysfunctional scrap of land - half of the Donbass, which has now turned into a mob law hellhole. Around 2.4 million people, two thirds of the population have left. Tellingly the large majority of these ethnic Russians have opted to relocate within Ukraine (1.85 million) rather than go to Russia (450,000), despite Russia offering free entry and right to work.

You should distinguish between ordinary Russians and Putin's Kleptocracy.

https://informnapalm.org/en/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2017/05/Donbas_v_Ogni_ENG_1-5_web.pdf

Edited by buctootim

I go to Ukraine a lot - 15 times in the past year. I'm there tomorrow. Tomorrow night I'll have dinner with an ethnic Russian Ukrainian woman whose brother was killed in Donetsk airport. Russia had asked for a truce so they could collect their soldiers bodies. The Ukrainians agreed. After the truce when the Ukrainian soldiers returned to the airport the Russians detonated explosives they had planted during the truce and killed 85 men.

Crimea there might be some justification for reunion as historically it was part of Russia, even though it was done in a unlawful and underhand way. The Donbass is a totally different situation. The large majority of ethnic Russian Ukrainians are loyal to Ukraine, not to Russia. They have had 100 years of being tied to Russia, poor and unable to travel and now they want to be European. They look at how the eastern bloc countries like Poland have transformed over the past 25 years and want the same. They want some hope for the future, not more of the same.

Russia put paid agents into Ukraine to foment a rebellion when their man Yanukovych was ousted. He was ousted because he reversed his election pledge of seeking closer ties with the EU and instead signed an association deal with Russia. Yanukovych was immensely corrupt had been bribed by Putin with $1billion to sell out his people. He also appropriated state assets. Putin miscalculated and his plan of dividing the country in two failed. He has been left with a dysfunctional scrap of land - half of the Donbass, which has now turned into a mob law hellhole. Around 2.4 million people, two thirds of the population have left. Tellingly the large majority of these ethnic Russians have opted to relocate within Ukraine (1.85 million) rather than go to Russia (450,000), despite Russia offering free entry and right to work.

You should distinguish between ordinary Russians and Putin's Kleptocracy.

https://informnapalm.org/en/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2017/05/Donbas_v_Ogni_ENG_1-5_web.pdf

I was in Prague last week along with half the Ukraine population it seemed ;-) - every tour we went on there were loads!

No problems at all...now the Chinese.. socially ignorant, no idea of etiquette or manners thats twice recently Santorini and Prague...

So was dropping the bomb, don’t you agree?

Of course you don’t

I know that you think all foreigners are the same Batman, but surely you know the difference between Russians and Japanese? As a serviceman you would also be expected to know that the Germans surrendered to the Allies (which included the Russians) in May 1945, well before America dropped the bombs on Japan.

I know that you think all foreigners are the same Batman, but surely you know the difference between Russians and Japanese? As a serviceman you would also be expected to know that the Germans surrendered to the Allies (which included the Russians) in May 1945, well before America dropped the bombs on Japan.

Thank for that.

I like football and support England as much as Saints but I don’t get the need to follow them to every ****hole country regardless of risk. I’ve watched England abroad a few times and even in ‘friendly’ countries it has been pretty hostile. Our reputation means we are a target for all the local nutters so there is almost always going to be some amount of trouble.

You couldn’t pay me to go to Russia, I don’t know who would be the biggest threat, the psycho hooligans or the police? It’s so easy to get caught up in trouble if you are unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. One minute you could be enjoying a vodka with some friendly locals, the next minute you could be in a Siberian prison facing 10 years of getting butt ****ed by a body builder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43508584

Southgate saying we need to get our own house in order before pointing the finger at Russia, RE: racism in football. He seems to be comparing a handful of racist troll tweets and instagram comments (probably by 12 year old chavs who think they're being hilarious) with a litteral army of white supremacist, trained, 'professional' hooligans in Russia. :uhoh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43508584

Southgate saying we need to get our own house in order before pointing the finger at Russia, RE: racism in football. He seems to be comparing a handful of racist troll tweets and instagram comments (probably by 12 year old chavs who think they're being hilarious) with a litteral army of white supremacist, trained, 'professional' hooligans in Russia. :uhoh:

Probably much easier to deflect rather than actually answer questions of that nature. Everyone knows England has no problem with racism in comparison to Russia. Comparing the two is utterly absurd.

England fans will get a kicking from everyone, and will be specifically singled out. The police won't help and will probably help the Ultras find pockets of fans to smash. The British media will lap it up and blame the English fans. The Russians will have a propaganda victory and lots of England fans will get locked up until near Christmas. They will be brutalised in their Russian jails as well of course. The team will freeze as soon as there is anything to play for. Why bother? Qatar will be worse as well. Thanks Sepp.

England fans act like they did in Amsterdam shown in some of the snippets doing the rounds. It will get nasty

They won’t be there. Russia will be like Japan in so much as the lad that does Amsterdam and other European games won’t be in position to stay in Russia for weeks.

They won’t be there. Russia will be like Japan in so much as the lad that does Amsterdam and other European games won’t be in position to stay in Russia for weeks.

If its anything like Kiev and the Champions League final prices will be sky high when matches are on. Apartments for that weekend are going for 8-10 times their normal price

It’ll be easier to enter and stay in Russia than Japan was.

Edited by shurlock

In Amsterdam at the moment. Thousands of first timers, stag dos, lads in the home ends, 18 year olds who get off on chucking bikes in canals. All pretty pathetic but let's not pretend we all weren't like that in our youth.

They'll be nowhere to be seen in Russia

In Amsterdam at the moment. Thousands of first timers, stag dos, lads in the home ends, 18 year olds who get off on chucking bikes in canals. All pretty pathetic but let's not pretend we all weren't like that in our youth.

They'll be nowhere to be seen in Russia

That's it... With a game on a Friday night in a place like Dam' there was always going to be trouble.

I got back Last night and managed to avoid all of the shenanigans, but as I understand it a Dutch 'ultra's' and their police force weren't exactly saints.

I'm convinced Russia will be fine other than the odd kick off away from the main crowds, which you would get here or anywhere in Europe.

I don't get all the negativity around following / supporting England - I've been doing it regularly for about 4/5 years and absolutely love it.