Official..Southampton appoint Mark Hughes.

saint lard

I'm puzzled how you worked that out? :?

Plus when he played for Saints he was used in midfield not as a striker and it was at the end of his career.

He played as a striker at Man Utd, Chelsea, Bayern Munich & Barcelona for good reason... he was a very good striker!

He was an outstanding player in his prime, although in his spell with us he appeared to simply go through the motions.

His time with Man Utd though does nothing to endear him to me though, quite a 'niggly' sort of player. Even on his debut with us his most memorable contribution was some pushing and shoving of the opposition GK at a corner (memory of Grobbelaar and LIverpool but could be wrong). It did liven the crowd up a bit but other than that was all pointless.

Yes, you probably are the only one who cares more about premier league status than the FA cup.

I bet most people would rather win the FA cup than stay in this dreadful over-hyped league full of all the 'characters' like Pep, Klopp, Jose blah blah blah blah.

He isn't and you are quite wrong. We fought hard to get to the PL and we must stay there. There's two more Cups next season!

Interesting quote in an article in The Guardian about Swansea's Sam Clucas when asked about the change in fortune under Carvalhas:

Asked what, specifically, Carvalhal has done to bring about such a change, Clucas replies: “With the old manager, every day we would be working on shape. From Monday to the matchday it would be more tactical. But the new manager has come in and just concentrated on playing through the lines and playing with freedom. You’re not stuck in your positions, you’re free to come in and link up. I think that has given the boys a lot of confidence. It has certainly helped me.”

Can't help thinking that's what we need.

Yes he had a few good games, when he first arrived, then went of the boil ever since, which isn't thriving in my book.

He doesn't have the attributes I want from a lone striker he isn't particularly good in the air, doesn't hold the ball up to bring others into play and can't play with his back to goal. He is a support striker probably best played in the same role Jrod played under Poch. I want a front man to be like Lambert or Pelle Gabbi isn't that sort if player in my book.

Behave. He was excellent for us when he first joined. Then he got injured, missed a month or so meanwhile Puel started to set the team up more defensively after Van dijks injury meaning we had one of the worst centre back pairings in the division

His game isn’t suited to Pellegrinos sideways and backwards football or balls pumped into the area but given a run in the team and a chance to take advantage of his intellegent movement he will make a difference

I have a friend who is a Napoli fan who says he was at his best as a wide striker in a front 3 so perhaps he could play up front with Austin/Carillo or Boufal but he can also play up front on his own.

Another of The problem we’ve had is Pellegrino didn’t build a team around our best players, he tried to shoe horn them into his own, negative way of playing and as a result you’d struggle to name more than one or two players who have played to their potential this season.

Hughes' first presser - key notes from Sky*:

(* Sky did cut away while he was mid-flow)

- No proper discussions about his future beyond the end of the season

- Obviously if things go well for both parties then there will likely be a conversation about that

- Good group here, talented players

- Lack of direction, the players need more direction and drive

- Some people commented on the intensity of training

- He was surprised that the intensity of his work has surprised the players, but it's how it's going to be now

- We need to be more intense in matches too

- His only focus is on making sure we stay in the Premier League

- He is going to take the FA Cup match seriously

- We just need to bring out the best elements of our players

- We need to make our attacking play more effective

- We need better movement and creativity in the final third

- The team need to understand where to put the ball, where to attack, how many more people need to attack

- That is my focus for this weekend, I want to see us creating chances to win the game

- In the league, draws and losses are not good enough

- We must win the league games, not focus on trying to take a point

- Obviously if things go well for both parties then there will likely be a conversation about that

- He was surprised that the intensity of his work has surprised the players, but it's how it's going to be now

- The team need to understand where to put the ball, where to attack, how many more people need to attack

- That is my focus for this weekend, I want to see us creating chances to win the game

Thanks for the summary. Interesting the comments on intensity of training. Buzzing for the Wigan game now!

Here's the rest of the press conf, courtesy of Facebook LIVE:

- There's an argument for saying that players now have a fresh start

- Any grievances people had with the past manager should now be forgotten

- Let's start afresh and see if people take their opportunities

- As an opposition manager I know a lot about the place I've come to

- The key for us now is that if you perform well, you will be keeping the shirt

- The standard needs to be higher if you want to keep the shirt though, it's not been good enough

- The fans are going to be massive for us now

- Over 4,000 at Wigan is massive support, we need to show the fans and give them something to grasp onto for the rest of the season

- We want to change how they feel

- I've been speaking to Charlie Austin, he's not going to be involved this weekend

- We think we can get him involved for short periods next week

- He could get some game time if things go well

- He is encouraged and we will look at speeding up his progress

- But I do not want to put too much pressure on Charlie, but if we can get him ready for West Ham that's great

- There is no right or wrong way now

- The only way for us is to win these football matches

- I can only judge the guys on what I see in training

- I am pleased with them

- You always feel apprehensive in scenarios like these when you come in

- But I haven't seen fragmented groups, lack of confidence or lack of belief in ability

- Now we can focus on work

- I don't have the luxury of a bit more time to build relationships and slowly grow things

- We're in a situation where I have to and will step on people's toes

- We don't have time to waste

- If I upset people along the way, then they will have to accept it

- All I care about is that when we look back on this period, we view it as a success and the club is safe

- I do like the energy here, everybody is pushing in the right direction, but it must continue until the season ends

- The cup can be a real positive influence and give us confidence and momentum

- I do not see a game against Wigan as a hindrance, this is a positive for us

Just watched it on the club's facebook feed (replay here:

). It's such a breath of fresh air having a manager whose native tongue is English. I'm not saying that from any kind of bigoted/parochial persepective, it's simply that nothing gets lost in translation so you get straight and indepth answers to straight questions. For example, towards the end one of the journos asked about Austin's fitness.... cue Hughes explaining his current status and how they are going to try to get him fit for West Ham. Contrast that with the generic and sketchy "he's still a few weeks away" responses we've had previously. I'm convinced it's as much to do with language and the translation thereof that hinders the likes of Pellegrino and Puel in press conferences.

Very interesting comments about the lack of intensity in training and by extension I matches - you'd think it's low hanging fruit and a new manager could address this pretty quickly.

Just watched it on the club's facebook feed (replay here:
). It's such a breath of fresh air having a manager whose native tongue is English. I'm not saying that from any kind of bigoted/parochial persepective, it's simply that nothing gets lost in translation so you get straight and indepth answers to straight questions. For example, towards the end one of the journos asked about Austin's fitness.... cue Hughes explaining his current status and how they are going to try to get him fit for West Ham. Contrast that with the generic and sketchy "he's still a few weeks away" responses we've had previously. I'm convinced it's as much to do with language and the translation thereof that hinders the likes of Pellegrino and Puel in press conferences.

Isn't his native tongue Welsh....

Here's the rest of the press conf, courtesy of Facebook LIVE:

- There's an argument for saying that players now have a fresh start

- Any grievances people had with the past manager should now be forgotten

- Let's start afresh and see if people take their opportunities

- As an opposition manager I know a lot about the place I've come to

- The key for us now is that if you perform well, you will be keeping the shirt

- The standard needs to be higher if you want to keep the shirt though, it's not been good enough

- The fans are going to be massive for us now

- Over 4,000 at Wigan is massive support, we need to show the fans and give them something to grasp onto for the rest of the season

- We want to change how they feel

- I've been speaking to Charlie Austin, he's not going to be involved this weekend

- We think we can get him involved for short periods next week

- He could get some game time if things go well

- He is encouraged and we will look at speeding up his progress

- But I do not want to put too much pressure on Charlie, but if we can get him ready for West Ham that's great

- There is no right or wrong way now

- The only way for us is to win these football matches

- I can only judge the guys on what I see in training

- I am pleased with them

- You always feel apprehensive in scenarios like these when you come in

- But I haven't seen fragmented groups, lack of confidence or lack of belief in ability

- Now we can focus on work

- I don't have the luxury of a bit more time to build relationships and slowly grow things

- We're in a situation where I have to and will step on people's toes

- We don't have time to waste

- If I upset people along the way, then they will have to accept it

- All I care about is that when we look back on this period, we view it as a success and the club is safe

- I do like the energy here, everybody is pushing in the right direction, but it must continue until the season ends

- The cup can be a real positive influence and give us confidence and momentum

- I do not see a game against Wigan as a hindrance, this is a positive for us

Well he is saying all the right things let's hope it transfers to the players.

Thanks for the summaries. I like what he has to say so far. His comments on the intensity of training are most interesting. Wouldn’t it be great if he could get creative players like Gabbiadini and Boufal starting in the team and firing on all cylinders.

Very interesting comments about the lack of intensity in training and by extension I matches - you'd think it's low hanging fruit and a new manager could address this pretty quickly.

Just a question of any underlying lack of fitness that may be resulting from this lack of intensity.

Something that may have been shown in our appalling second half record this season.

The next two weeks to build that back to a good standard.

A positive first interview from Hughes and I'm very much warming to the idea of keeping him next season (of course results will impact that).

A few concerning points around intensity etc.. which really do show how out of his depth MP (and Eric black, who I and a few others, told you is a poor coach) was.

Hopefully he can get the best out of our underperforming players and if he can, he's got a pretty easy job on his hands.

A few concerning points around intensity etc.. which really do show how out of his depth MP (and Eric black, who I and a few others, told you is a poor coach) was.

Can you really use that as a stick to beat Black with? It is for Pellegrino to decide ultimately the intensity levels of the training... not Black (who was not even Pellegrino's assistant manager... he was just a 1st team coach!)

Only 19% of the population of Wales speaks Welsh according to the 2011 census, I have my doubts Hughes speaks it fluently as his mother tongue. ;)

Probably a significantly larger % in North Wales though.

Although I don't think it was compulsory in schools when Hughes was there.

Only 19% of the population of Wales speaks Welsh according to the 2011 census, I have my doubts Hughes speaks it fluently as his mother tongue. ;)

Probably a significantly larger % in North Wales though.

Although I don't think it was compulsory in schools when Hughes was there.

He was born in Ruabon... the 2001 census has only 13.6% of the population of Ruabon having some ability in Welsh.

Even if he did learn it in school, that wouldn't make it his mother tongue. As he'd already know English.

Because I'm old and fat I have a personal trainer. He's also a Saints fan and he and I have both agreed that the players showed signs of being unfit (late conceding of goals - losing concentration - all signs of fatigue) and in the case of Redmon he looks like he has a bit of a tum which wasn't there when he signed.

If he can get them fitter and playing with freedom we'll just stay up I think.

Because I'm old and fat I have a personal trainer. He's also a Saints fan and he and I have both agreed that the players showed signs of being unfit (late conceding of goals - losing concentration - all signs of fatigue) and in the case of Redmon he looks like he has a bit of a tum which wasn't there when he signed.

If he can get them fitter and playing with freedom we'll just stay up I think.

If they are unfit you have to wonder how much they can improve it in the short space of time we have left. You have to say though it's bloody criminal on the part of the club and the players if they are unfit and a little overweight at this point of the season.

he spoke very well, relaxed and assured - hope this is what we need to get things going.

As others have said, most interesting comment was about the intensity of training, which he suggested was good in the last two days but that others had said had been lacking in recent months.

There's certainly been a lack of intensity of the pitch for a lot of that time.

He was born in Ruabon... the 2001 census has only 13.6% of the population of Ruabon having some ability in Welsh.

Even if he did learn it in school, that wouldn't make it his mother tongue. As he'd already know English.

Just a thought but have you ever considered, how can I put this, getting out a bit more?

Edited by Greenridge

The Echo have done a word-for-word transcript of the press conference...

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/16093108.BIG_INTERVIEW__Hughes_speaks_for_the_first_time_as_Saints_boss/

Edited by trousers

Keep up the superb work mate. Need to get you in for talks on an improved contract I think....

It always seemed to me as if the previous regimes (Claude/MP) put too much focus on tactical, technical approaches, retaining the ball and being a bit tiki taka (plus making things a little too complicated at times). The recruitment strategy seemed to go hand in hand with that with the likes of Boufal, Hojbjerg coming in. It didn't work.

Now if what he says he's right and he's surprised by the lack of intensity, then that's quite galling. Kind of suggests that the main focus was indeed tactical and technical training as opposed to fitness and intensity.

I think the club tried to be too clever with the last two appointments, thought we could reinvent football by coaching technical ability. At the end of the day old fashioned tactics, fitness and intensity is what wins you games in this league. I often wonder if Les Reed has gone senile and thinks we're in La Liga or something.

It always seemed to me as if the previous regimes (Claude/MP) put too much focus on tactical, technical approaches, retaining the ball and being a bit tiki taka (plus making things a little too complicated at times). The recruitment strategy seemed to go hand in hand with that with the likes of Boufal, Hojbjerg coming in. It didn't work.

Now if what he says he's right and he's surprised by the lack of intensity, then that's quite galling. Kind of suggests that the main focus was indeed tactical and technical training as opposed to fitness and intensity.

I think the club tried to be too clever with the last two appointments, thought we could reinvent football by coaching technical ability. At the end of the day old fashioned tactics, fitness and intensity is what wins you games in this league. I often wonder if Les Reed has gone senile and thinks we're in La Liga or something.

Yes and no. The best six teams in the league are also in general the teams with the highest possession, best passing, most back passes, least number of headed clearances, highest number of goal scoring opportunities, etc stats and oddly enough saints aren't normally far behind them (the difference being in the stats that matter like actually scoring and not conceding we are way behind) . Its not that possession football can't work in the PL it can with the right calibre of player, to turn that possession into something, but that is a calibre of player we can't afford. You are right though I have had a sneaky feeling les and co have been trying to turn us into a top six lite side with the same technical ideas and tactics (lots of possession, lots of passing) but without spending out on the sort of players that could make it work for a while. In the end we've become like a ****e version of a bad Arsenal side. Most of us would probably happily go back to a more robust style of football because in the end I'd rather play route one and win than technically nice football and lose.

Tweeted by Adam Blackmore earlier this afternoon:

@AdamBlackmore: Just done my first interview with #saintsfc boss Mark Hughes.

He was good value - seemed relaxed and positive.

Would like to stay longer but needs to worry about the next 2 months for now.

It felt right, he seems happy and it that transfers to the players there is good hope

@AdamBlackmore: Whole interview will play out in a ‘Saints Special’ Sports Hour at 6pm tonight on @BBCRadioSolent - first 30 mins plus will be dedicated to the events of this week at #saintsfc - your views welcome - & then we’ll hear from #afcb midfielder Lewis Cook on his England call-up

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p061dd2g

Edited by SuperSAINT
Link to interview added

Completely agree. Great movement, half decent finisher. Made the runs and didn't get the ball, no surprise he lost confidence.

He was on top form when he arrived with Tadic, Redmond and JWP in the team. If those 3, and maybe Boufal and Sims are involved and on form, there will be plenty of opportunities to pick out Gabbiadini.

To go more attacking, I'd play JWP in a midfield 3, then Tadic left and Redmond right, where they can swap. If either isn't doing it, replace with Boufal and Sims. Keep the system, get the best from those 4 wide players.

JWP - Romeu - Lemina

Redmond - Gabbiadini - Tadic

you like JWp I think he is useless t*sser. C'est la vie

Yes very true. The thing is you can’t have ‘technical’ without effort and intensity and some foreign coaches seem to forget that. That is one very good reason amongst a dozen others that Poch is so good....

We were fit as hell under him and played a very high intensity game....

Yes and no. The best six teams in the league are also in general the teams with the highest possession, best passing, most back passes, least number of headed clearances, highest number of goal scoring opportunities, etc stats and oddly enough saints aren't normally far behind them (the difference being in the stats that matter like actually scoring and not conceding we are way behind) . Its not that possession football can't work in the PL it can with the right calibre of player, to turn that possession into something, but that is a calibre of player we can't afford. You are right though I have had a sneaky feeling les and co have been trying to turn us into a top six lite side with the same technical ideas and tactics (lots of possession, lots of passing) but without spending out on the sort of players that could make it work for a while. In the end we've become like a ****e version of a bad Arsenal side. Most of us would probably happily go back to a more robust style of football because in the end I'd rather play route one and win than technically nice football and lose.

I agree with this. I enjoy possession football but you have to have the quality to turn it into wins. Without that you are destined to draw or lose. You are easy to play against for teams that sit back and hit on the break and will generally lose to possession teams who have better quality on the ball.