Official..Southampton appoint Mark Hughes.

saint lard

Ignore the boring people whining about how underwhelmed they are. You're a good experienced manager who has hugely improved our chances of beating the drop. Atmosphere should now be better than it has been all season and i look forward to see how much of this appaling football you can coach out if us in 8 games even if we can't quite stay up. Welcome on board and best of luck- I hope you have the support of evert saints fan.

Till the end of the season. I'd rather it was a longer term contract.

Think it’s wise being short term. If we failed to stay up and performances were poor then the negativity going into next season could be pretty harmful. Should Hughes do the business then review in the summer. Good appointment though.

Thought it was a genuinely interesting and insightful interview.

Also we have restored our status of having the best PLAYER as a manager in the Premier League (surely was Koeman). In his pomp, which was well before he came to the Dell, he was a truly outstanding player

Thought it was a genuinely interesting and insightful interview.

Also we have restored our status of having the best PLAYER as a manager in the Premier League (surely was Koeman). In his pomp, which was well before he came to the Dell, he was a truly outstanding player

Think Pep might have something to say about that.

But right appointment with all things considering

Bit of a shame it wasn't at least a year so he had next year. Not really sure how invested you'd feel on an 8 game contract where, if we go down, he can say "I didn't have enough time".

And if we stay up, he is made a Saint, has the fanbase behind him and calling for him to be given a permanent contract PLUS there's that £1M success bonus sitting in my his account. If he isn't invested to get that reward, he has a problem.

And if we stay up, he is made a Saint, has the fanbase behind him and calling for him to be given a permanent contract PLUS there's that £1M success bonus sitting in my his account. If he isn't invested to get that reward, he has a problem.

He doesn't currently (technically) have a relegation on his CV.

He really won't want to lose that record, regardless of any other motivation.

I liked his first interview. Had a chuckle when he admitted that he tried to sign half the players in the present Saints team when he was at Stoke.

The ones that stick out are Lemina, Cedric and Redmond. We poached all 3 of those from under Stokes noses! Cedric had actually had a medical at Stoke before we swooped in!

On the appointment, it's as good as we could have got. At the end of the day we needed to make a change. I'm hopeful this will galvanise the squad and the fanbase, sometimes it doesn't need to be the most exotic appointment to make things work. Sometimes just getting back to basics is all that's needed, as we do have good players in this side.

I liked his first interview. Had a chuckle when he admitted that he tried to sign half the players in the present Saints team when he was at Stoke.

The ones that stick out are Lemina, Cedric and Redmond. We poached all 3 of those from under Stokes noses! Cedric had actually had a medical at Stoke before we swooped in!

and Gabbiadini

Let's be honest, he could quite easily of ducked this one and waited for other easier opportunities that will surely come in the summer. He's taken on the challenge so he obviously thinks he can keep us up, and is confident in his coaching team as well. I will be fully supporting him no matter what happens from here on in.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

For those bemoaning the choice of manager:

The club aren't going to sack Hughes. Just be glad Pellegrino is gone, at least now we have a chance of staying up.

For those who think that a short term contract will have an adverse effect on the team:

If that was the case, Pellegrino's brand of stale Dogsh1t football wouldn't have taken hold.

Hughes wouldn't have been my choice in ideal circumstances, but he has kept Stoke as a mid table team for a number of years. These aren't ideal circumstances, so Hughes has my backing for the rest of the season.

Onwards and upwards.

Let's be honest, he could quite easily of ducked this one and waited for other easier opportunities that will surely come in the summer. He's taken on the challenge so he obviously thinks he can keep us up, and is confident in his coaching team as well. I will be fully supporting him no matter what happens from here on in.

Such as...? Any examples of predictions for these easier opportunities?

On the appointment, it's as good as we could have got. At the end of the day we needed to make a change. I'm hopeful this will galvanise the squad and the fanbase, sometimes it doesn't need to be the most exotic appointment to make things work. Sometimes just getting back to basics is all that's needed, as we do have good players in this side.

Totally agree. From listening to Pellegrino’s interviews I get the impression he massively over complicated his instructions and confused and demotivated the players. Back to basics is what we need.

Meh it is what it is but it's all a bit underwhelming in a season of underwhelming. I still feel the damage has been done and I'm not convinced Hughes is the man to repair it over 8 games but due to board room level ****ery we were put in a position where we had little choice. Hopefully he can do enough to keep us up.

Such as...? Any examples of predictions for these easier opportunities?
No because I can't look into the future. But history will tell you that at the start of next season various teams will sack their managers because they have made poor starts (as did Everton, Watford and Palace this season). Much easier to come in early on and turn things around with games to spare, than try to do so in our situation with only 8 games left.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Hopefully he will give a few lessons of shooting first.

I thought you were supporting another team now :lol:

Anyways, rather ironically, a lot of Saints snapchats and training videos I’ve seen actually show us shooting a lot/practice our shooting in different scenarios.

Mind you, it is Fraser Forster and Stuart Taylor in goal, and our CBs aren’t exactly top draw either :/

Our problem this season was the fear of attacking, kept the ball too much with no real purpose, and eventually lost confidemce in our abilities. Mark can hopefully bring that back, and also put a rocket up a few players arses...

Win us that cup, Sparky

Am I the only one that really couldn't care about the FA Cup this season? - it's a distraction from the single-minded focus of staying in the Premier League.

It's good that Hughes gets a 'free game' against Wigan to see what he's got...I honestly couldn't care if we win or lose that as long as we don't get any injuries and we get the points required to keep us up in the games that follow.

Am I the only one that really couldn't care about the FA Cup this season? - it's a distraction from the single-minded focus of staying in the Premier League.

It's good that Hughes gets a 'free game' against Wigan to see what he's got...I honestly couldn't care if we win or lose that as long as we don't get any injuries and we get the points required to keep us up in the games that follow.

Why is it 'a distraction'?

Only positive? The contract is only to the end of the season so he won't be around in the championship what a dull, predictable appointment imagine the fun we would be having if one of our relegation rivals had done this!
No the absolutely huge positive is that we have replaced someone who was definitely relegating us with someone who may be able to keep us up. You call it dull and predictable but u really fail to see who else we could have got at this point.

Only positive? The contract is only to the end of the season so he won't be around in the championship what a dull, predictable appointment imagine the fun we would be having if one of our relegation rivals had done this!

If one of our relegation rivals had done this I wouldn't be having any fun. Quite the opposite, I'd be worried that they'd finally sacked an appalling manager who was almost certain to take them down, and replaced him with someone with tons of PL experience and who actually knows how to manage.

I thought his interview was good - straight-up, hopeful, realistic and genuine. Given our circumstances, Hughes is a really good appointment; he has been given a big task - but there is some hope now, a week ago there wasn't.

I thought his interview was good - straight-up, hopeful, realistic and genuine. Given our circumstances, Hughes is a really good appointment; he has been given a big task - but there is some hope now, a week ago there wasn't.

That will change once he meets our sh!thouse players. He will be a broken man in 2 months' time.

Yes you are the only one.

Future pub quiz question: which manager sent two clubs down in the same season?

Sick of this already. Stoke have had plenty of time without Hughes to stay up, he hasn’t sent them down.

If you think Hughes sent stoke down, then by the same standards mope would have sent us down, not Hughes.

You could equally argue he will have taken neither club down, that lambert and mope took the clubs down. (Also a stupid thing to say)

AND if both clubs stay up, is Hughes the first manager to save two clubs from relegation in one season?